PDA

View Full Version : GPS users: Ever had yours give you wrong directions before?

copynpaste
10-31-2010, 03:26 PM
I cant tell if mine is defective cause I just went on a trip and it should been a 20min ride yet it turned into 50mins grr. I know it entered in the address correctly, even put it in twice. Anyways this piece of crap took me all the way out to douglasdale, what the hell? Im on deerfoot and kept saying "stay in left lane, left turn ahead" wtf there is no left turn on deerfoot you dumbass GPS! So pissed off, just waste my and gas and put unnessecary km on my car.

And get this, some of the turns i had to turn left, it told me to turn right! wtf!

I updated everything and no i didnt pay for map update on it, but i shouldnt have it! the maps that come with it should be nice and recent enough. I pay $100 for this to get me lost and waste time and gas tryig to find a place. :banghead:

I might just return it and go back to Garmin Nuvi 255W.

BlackArcher101
10-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Which GPS is this?

Kloubek
10-31-2010, 03:33 PM
You have to use some common sense of where you're going when it comes to GPS. Roads in Calgary change so much that sometimes it gets confused.

Any time I use mine and it tells me to go south on Beddington Trail from Kincora, it always wants me to turn onto either Beddington Blvd or Berkshire (not sure which one), and then do a Uturn, and go BACK onto Beddington Trail. I almost fell for it, until I saw that it was going to lead me back onto Beddington Trail.

Not too sure why it wants me to do this, but it proved to me that sometimes it just doesn't have a clue.

I was also looking for a restaraunt once and it brought me to a totally residential area. I'm like... WTF! It was even in an established area which I thought for sure it would have known.

My previous GPS sent us on a total circle over and over again. That was fun.

GPS's are great tools, but no, they are not always 100% correct.

Cos
10-31-2010, 03:39 PM
I only use GPS if I know where I am going and I am using it as a live map. I never trust the GPS it has yet to be right when I tried to trust it. Plus when you get out to where you are going you dont have a clue where you are because you havent been paying attention.

copynpaste
10-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Which GPS is this?
tomtom ease

Originally posted by Kloubek

My previous GPS sent us on a total circle over and over again. That was fun.

GPS's are great tools, but no, they are not always 100% correct.

THat happened to me on Fri, I was going from DT to crowfoot and since i dont travel to NW often i wanted to know the quickest route. It took me all the way out to stoney trail and in a huge circle. :thumbsdow

Tik-Tok
10-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, definitely.

Down in Lake Charles, LA, I got one. Asked around for a good place for crawdads, and put the name into the Garmin. 5 address's popped up.

First wrong address would have led me into the middle of a farmers field.

2nd wrong address was a very prestigious house in a nice area.

3rd wrong address was a very very dirty part of town (and I later found out was definitely the wrong part of town for a "white boy in a rental" to be in)

4th address was finally correct, didn't bother going to the 5th one.

Took me almost an hour to get to the restaurant that was only 10 minutes from the hotel.

wintonyk
10-31-2010, 03:54 PM
i find downtown is terrible. You location always gets scrambled bouncing off all the tall buildings.

My gps is good for the most part. Although I need to update it as well.

lilmira
10-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, definitely check the route on the map first if you can. Roads change at the time, there is no way they can have every road updated all the time.
I imagine that you may have a hard time driving around the Crowchild/Stoney interchange if you follow GPS direction.

revelations
10-31-2010, 04:17 PM
All youre really using is software written by a human. Humans are not perfect.

I always zoom out of the street level view of a GPS trip to make sure its taking me to the right area, instead of just following it blindly turn by turn - I've seen it makes too many mistakes.

Guillermo
10-31-2010, 04:31 PM
why did you get rid of your garmin 255w? those are way better than that crapola tomtom.

K3RMiTdot
10-31-2010, 05:16 PM
happened to me once -__-"

copynpaste
10-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
why did you get rid of your garmin 255w? those are way better than that crapola tomtom.

ya i regret it now. :banghead:

msommers
10-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Google map has been wrong for me a few times. So has my NAV. But overall, it works well 90% of the time.

Kloubek
04-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Hey... just bringing up an old thread.

After the break-in and subsequent theft of my nav unit, I just picked up a Nuvi 1490T. Nice unit.

I have one free map upgrade, but I don't want to "waste" it. Does anyone know if Stoney is finally updated in the latest Garmin maps?

Rat Fink
04-17-2011, 11:23 PM

CRXguy
04-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Hey... just bringing up an old thread.

After the break-in and subsequent theft of my nav unit, I just picked up a Nuvi 1490T. Nice unit.

I have one free map upgrade, but I don't want to "waste" it. Does anyone know if Stoney is finally updated in the latest Garmin maps?

Yes, the new update has Stoney Trail. I have the 1390T and my uncle has the 1490T.

AndyL
04-17-2011, 11:45 PM
:thumbsup: I love the tomtoms... They don't understand what a bustrap is... :angel:

nismodrifter
04-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I use a Garmin 255W. Have travelled from Calgary -> all over Texas, all over Louisiana...including many rural/off the road type locations, all over Illinois. It's pretty damn good.

On the other hand, I could not trust the navigation in the ML when I brought it up from Texas. Shit was stupid as hell. I've done that drive a bunch of times so I essentially guided it from one city to the next major town/city. Stupid thing was telling me to go New Mexico or some garbage like that and then travel up (ie: an extra 500 miles). WTF?

dirtsniffer
05-31-2011, 08:27 PM
hey does anyone know where and how i can update my garmin map for free?

bmeier
05-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
hey does anyone know where and how i can update my garmin map for free?

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/

dirtsniffer
05-31-2011, 10:02 PM
lol fuck, i dont get it

soupey
06-01-2011, 01:54 PM
ive got a cheapo 80 dollar tomtom go with IQ routes that has taken me on alternative routes, but never a "wrong" route. I let it update with user fixes and that generally patches up most incorrect 1 ways or turns that arent allowed. I use mine in NYC and in Calgary, no issues (except for that one on beddington that someone mentioned above, that error has been there for a looong time).

does the traffic receiver on the tomtom work in calgary? i thought it was something that was only available in certain cities in the USA?

epp01
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I was in deep south west calgary once looking for the fastest way to race city, and it lead me to the middle of down town and then said. "You've arrived at your destination." I just searched race city and it found it as one of it's pre-loaded destinations but it was way off. This was with a Garmin as well.

Stealth22
06-01-2011, 08:18 PM
My friend's old TomTom One apparently doesn't know that 16th Ave and Shaganappi Trail connect. Thankfully at the time, he knew better. Even funnier, at the time, I think it had the latest map update.

Usually, I'll check the address for where I'm going on Google Maps if I don't know where it is, so I know how to get there. Then I'll plug it into the GPS, and if it makes a mistake, I know what to do.

dirtsniffer
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
fuck, i should have made a new thread