PDA

View Full Version : Heating Attached Garage?

project240
10-31-2010, 05:14 PM
We just recently moved and I've been working on turning the attached double garage into my new work space.

The garage is 24x26x8, fully insulated (or will be when the garage door gets replaced).

I already have a gas line running into the garage, so I'd like to take advantage of it. I have already priced out a Calcana heater (40K BTU @ $1200 + install)
http://www.calcana.com/garage-heater...ters-specs.htm

I just came across another slightly smaller Mr Heater radiant heater (25K BTU @ $400 + install)
http://www.princessauto.com/all-seas...as-shop-heater
This unit claims to heat up to 600 sq ft, my shop is just over that

Has anybody used this unit or similar? Opinions? Other suggestions?

The garage will be used solely as a woodworking shop, so I'm leaning towards radiant. Definitely want to take advantage of the gas line already in place.

Recommendations?

project240
11-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Anybody?

From what I've read I probably shouldn't use radiant because of my ceiling height.

Any recommendations on sealed combustion forced air units?

What are you guys using to heat?

thefarnorth
11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
check into reznor they make very good quality units that are small and compact and i would say they would work best for your garage due to space

thefarnorth
11-03-2010, 07:22 PM
the reznor would be more like a furnace with a blower, i was thinking that mite cause issues if there is alot of sawdust, some radiants would work for the small clearance, also check into supiorer radiant products, as well

Revhard
11-03-2010, 08:30 PM
My radiant is not very high. Works great. Get the Calcana and never look back.

project240
11-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Revhard

I'd like to, but having 8ft ceilings and being over 6'6" doesn't bode well. Especially considering the unit itself hangs down at least 12" from the ceiling.

InRich
11-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Revhard

Calcana is definatly the only way to go. If you need a good deal I can call my old boss (the president) for you and have him hook u up.

www.calcana.com

Just PM me, I think their around 1300 - 1400. The units great cause theres no air movement, which is perfect when your working with alot of wood. I used to work for them for 1/half years, and I've seen all the comps, all the other shit either looks ugly, or breaks down, or is just simply junk. PM me if your serious.

project240
11-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by InRich

Calcana is definatly the only way to go. If you need a good deal I can call my old boss (the president) for you and have him hook u up.

www.calcana.com

Just PM me, I think their around 1300 - 1400. The units great cause theres no air movement, which is perfect when your working with alot of wood. I used to work for them for 1/half years, and I've seen all the comps, all the other shit either looks ugly, or breaks down, or is just simply junk. PM me if your serious.

Already got quoted a price of $1100.

The problem is my ceiling height though... it can't imagine it would be comfortable standing inches away from the heater for any amount of time over a few seconds...

Anybody have one and want to let me know?

I'd like to buy one and if I had 10ft ceilings I probably would have already.

project240
11-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by thefarnorth
check into reznor they make very good quality units that are small and compact and i would say they would work best for your garage due to space

I am checking into Reznor now as well. I'm surprised to see them priced at $1500+ for a sealed combustion unit though...

89coupe
11-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by project240

Already got quoted a price of $1100.

The problem is my ceiling height though... it can't imagine it would be comfortable standing inches away from the heater for any amount of time over a few seconds...

Anybody have one and want to let me know?

I'd like to buy one and if I had 10ft ceilings I probably would have already.

I got the same quote, the only thing I'm wondering about is the but ugly exhaust pipe. I'm wondering if they have a more subtle less redneck design...haha.

InRich
11-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

I got the same quote, the only thing I'm wondering about is the but ugly exhaust pipe. I'm wondering if they have a more subtle less redneck design...haha.

they dont, I've heard 100s of complaints about that when I was there. The reason being, its code to have that pipe sticking out a certain length from the house.

1100 is a fantastic deal. they went down in price. I remember I was selling them for 1350. this should be a no brainer for you guys. your not going to find anything better...

project240
11-04-2010, 12:14 PM

they dont, I've heard 100s of complaints about that when I was there. The reason being, its code to have that pipe sticking out a certain length from the house.

1100 is a fantastic deal. they went down in price. I remember I was selling them for 1350. this should be a no brainer for you guys. your not going to find anything better...

I don't quite understand... whenever a thread like this comes up you jump in and praise calcana to no end (almost like you own shares in the company).

I've said twice I have 8ft ceilings and my head would literally be a couple inches away from the heater while I'm working. I've read over and over these heaters shouldn't be installed in anything under 9ft and even the rep I talked with said 10ft is the suggested height.
All you have to say is...

"DUDE, 1100 bucks is a steal. Smokin Deal. Hurry up and buy that"

You never seem to address any comments that may even slightly imply something negative... :dunno:

71/454
11-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I have the Mr Heater forced air unit I think it's 35000 BTU, works great no complaints at all. My garage is 24x21

edit: its 45000 btu

Tik-Tok
11-04-2010, 02:51 PM
I've got a Reznor F165 165000 btu unit heater. Works awesome. :rofl:

project240
11-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I've got a Reznor F165 165000 btu unit heater. Works awesome. :rofl:

Yeah, I'd be looking for something a bit larger than that. Ideally, I'd like to heat up the garage with 20-30 seconds... :rofl:

Tik-Tok
11-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I'd be looking for something a bit larger than that. Ideally, I'd like to heat up the garage with 20-30 seconds... :rofl:

Lol, yeah, blow a lot of sawdust up too. You know, when I was surfing the web trying to find out what my heater was (took awhile to find out it was a rebranded Reznor), I found a radiant heater place just like calcana's, except it was for low ceiling's (8'). It was a long tube, with little BTU's. That would probably be what you want since you won't be parking in the garage and losing heat constantly.

I'll try to dig up the site I found it in.

Edit: Well this isn't what I found earlier this month, but it will work for you. It's a Mr.Heater too.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=50&id=40

Quick google search shows you can pick one up for $280, 2 would probably be better.

project240
11-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Haha, check the link in my OP.

I was specifically looking at this one you linked too.

My only concern with it from what I've read is that it doesn't have a direct exhaust to outside like the calcana does. For most, this wouldn't be a big problem, but it does tend to create added moisture in the garage and I've got a bunch of big cast iron tools, that I'd hate to see rust.

From what I've read, some people say they create lot of moisture, others say hardly any.

InRich
11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
just get a reznor then man.

Tik-Tok
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Haha, check the link in my OP.

I was specifically looking at this one you linked too.

Your OP princess auto link doesn't work, I just assumed it was the unit heater they had on sale last week.

Wish I could find that radiant, it was the same type as Calcana, with exhaust and everything. I wouldn't worry about moisture with that one I linked though, most of the reviews you've read are probably from humid climates, and as you know, we are not.

project240
11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=50&id=123

Hopefully this link works... This one is very similar to the calcana, but a lower intensity and it says it can be hung from as low as 7' safely, but still recommended at 8ft.

I may end up trying out one of the 25000 btu units and supplement with a small electric heater if needed. Curious where you saw it for $280 (maybe US). Only retailer in Calgary from MrHeater site is Princess Auto and priced at $400.

project240
11-04-2010, 06:16 PM
just get a reznor then man.

Didn't expect anything less

:rofl:

Revhard
11-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

I had them place the heater in the middle of the space, and run a bunch of exhaust inside. The exhaust radiates heat into the space, and cost almost nothing extra. Also, get a cold air intake. Makes the unit more efficient, and stops maintenance issues from dust etc.

project240
11-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Here are a couple other radiant heaters I came across in my search... maybe you were referring to one of these Tik-Tok

http://www.garageheater.com/ezdoz.htm
This first one is supposedly safe to mount as low as 7ft from the ground... waiting back on a price.

http://www.spaceray.com/garage-residential.php
Says safe to mount from 6ft, but then also says don't mount under 8ft.

Anybody on here have a radiant heater? How bearable is it to work directly in front/underneath while it's on? I think a radiant definitely would be best for my application, just hope I can find one suitable...

Revhard
11-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Here are a couple other radiant heaters I came across in my search... maybe you were referring to one of these Tik-Tok

http://www.garageheater.com/ezdoz.htm
This first one is supposedly safe to mount as low as 7ft from the ground... waiting back on a price.

http://www.spaceray.com/garage-residential.php
Says safe to mount from 6ft, but then also says don't mount under 8ft.

Anybody on here have a radiant heater? How bearable is it to work directly in front/underneath while it's on? I think a radiant definitely would be best for my application, just hope I can find one suitable...

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/9bells/IMG_6057.jpg
I do,and no I don't work under it. It is hot!!!
I put it over the tools and such that don't have low flash points, or any at all. It great though. A 15 ft Calcana had no trouble heating my 1100 sqft garage with no insulation save the stuff under the bonus room. This pic is old, I have 80% insulated now, and it's cozy in there. Most expensive bill ever in this place was heating the garage and 2200 sqft house in a cold snap in 2008. Bill was $287. No insulation in garage. Very efficient. Costs way less to run than the Reznor I had heating my 660 sqft insulated garage, with only a 10ft ceiling.
Here is a slightly newer pic. It's about 7ft off the ground, as I can reach it.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/9bells/IMG_8503.jpg

If you have a garage so small you can't find a place to put it where you won't have to work right under it, give up. If the garage is typical, mount is somewhere close to where you will work, as it heats the floor quite nicely. A small 10 ft heater would be lots for anything under 750sqft. It doesn't burn cars either. That's a myth. Mine is close to the hoist as you can see, and the cars never get any hotter than when they sit in the sun.

project240
11-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Your garage look awesome. I wish I had a space that big to work in.

I think I am going to try a radiant heater and take a bit of a chance with the height.

Any idea how often yours cycles? I'm planning to have it constantly set at about 6 degrees and crank it up to about 15 when I'm working in there. I'm hoping that once I get it up to temp it won't actually cycle often while I'm in working.

Revhard
11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Depending on temperature, etc. Maybe once/hour when it's really cold. Not 100% sure since I am slowly insulating and finishing it when I have time. I keep it at 40F all the time, and then 50-55 when I'm in there.

mix123
11-13-2010, 06:42 PM
I recommend this thermostat for anyone heating their garage. It has a set range that goes down to -3. It's tough to find a decent thermostat that goes lower than 5. I like to keep my garage at 1 degree when I'm not out there so this works perfect. Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

http://www.pro1iaq.com/homeowner/thermostats_t701.html