PDA

View Full Version : Looking for travel tripod and ultra wide angle

Go4Long
11-01-2010, 12:41 AM
So I'm leaving for Vegas in a couple weeks here and figure my tripod is a little much to lug around with me, so I'm looking for a good "travel" tripod...doesn't need to be to tall, but would like it to collapse to be pretty short(my normal use tripod is a 3 section giottos that's still pretty big when it's all folded up). Anyone got any recommendations? I was thinking maybe for the few times I would use it I should just pick up one of the biggest model gorilla pods, anyone ever used a 7 pound camera set up on one of them?

Also looking for a good Nikon FF Ultra-Wide. Trying not to break the bank here since I'm in the process for paying for a wedding that's ending up costing us quite a bit more than planned. I've looked at the Nikon 18-35 and the Tamron 17-35 as viable options so far, I would love a 16-35 F4 or 14-24 2.8 but even used they're just not in the budget right now...anyone got any other suggestions? ideally I would like to spend less than $500 on a decent used lens, and have something that is 18mm or wider since any longer than that and I might as well just use the 24-70

Gibson
11-01-2010, 12:48 AM
If you can find a super cheap one, you can use the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 on a FF body. I've done it quite a bit actually, you get a bit of fallout and some soft corners, but if you're ever going to buy a DX body, the Tokie is a pretty decent ultra-wide.

Mitsu3000gt
11-01-2010, 12:55 AM
What is your definition of "short" when the tripod is folded up?

Anyways I am a huge fan of the Feisol product. It's built just as good as the Gitzo stuff and is significantly cheaper. Warranty is great as well. If you do some looking around I don't think you'll find a bad word about them. I have one of their higher end CF ones if you wanted to look at one before you bought it (they are online only AFAIK). Good ballheads can be a bit pricey though (Even the travel ones), and you mention you are on a budget. That said, I've heard the Feisol ballheads are excellent, they are very inexpensive, and are built to perfectly fit their tripods when folded up.

I have the Gorilla Pod SLR zoom. I almost never use it, but it is very small and light. It does what it's advertised to do but I'd rather be using a normal tripod with ballhead in every scenario I can think of.

The Nikon 18-35 stopped down is very good for the price. I've seen them go for very cheap used. If it's something you're going to be using often, honestly I'd just rent a 14-24 or 16-35 for your Vegas trip and buy one or the other when you can more easily afford it. If you compromise with one of the 3rd party lenses and end up needing that focal length often, you will probably just end up selling it in favor of one of the better Nikon lenses later anyways (at least thats what I would probably do haha). As for the Tokina 11-16 on FF, I've read mixed things about it. I wouldn't buy that lens if I only had FF cameras.

Go4Long
11-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Good idea...I used rene's once and it did indeed work on the FF at 16mm with minimal vignetting. And I just bought my fiance a D3100 so its not like I couldn't use its whole range. Still a little tricky to find in the budget, but I could cross my fingers. Hehe.

And mitsu, thanks, I've heard good things about the feisol stuff as well, and just picked up a ballhead off quazi so I'm good on that end.

As for renting, I had one all set up to go off lens rentals canada then realized that it was going to cost me 10% of the purchase price of a new one, or about 15-20% of a used one, and I honestly just can't justify it. I'd love to just go out and buy a used 14-24 and I could do it, I just think I might end up sleeping on the couch for it.

Mitsu3000gt
11-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Just remember the 11-16 on your wife's D3100 will be MF only.

TCS will let you put the lens rental cost toward a purchase within 90 days or something like that. I don't know what their WA selection is like though, or if that gives you enough time.

Go4Long
11-01-2010, 01:31 AM
hmmm...forgot about that...bummer.

and nah...90 days is nothing...I definitely won't be buying new if I'm picking up one of the bigger dollar pieces like a 16-35 or a 14-24 anyway...

to answer the previous question about what I consider to be "short" in terms of the tripod...I would like it to be under a foot...and also not as big around as my Giottos, which is pretty huge, I'd like to be able to cram it in to my checked luggage without to much difficulty as I don't see the ultra anal security for cross border flights being thrilled with me trying to carry on a bag with my tripod mounted on the back of it :-P

AccentAE86
11-01-2010, 07:04 AM
I use a Tokina RMC 17mm AI-S prime. It's manual focus, but manual focus on an ultrawide is so bloody easy, and the in-viewfinder focus confirmation display makes it super quick. The IQ is relaly good. It's worked excellently for me even at wedding shoots. You can't go wrong for $65 on ebay.

blitz
11-01-2010, 08:27 AM
What about one of those Benro Travel tripods? I think that's as compact as you can get on a full sized tripod.

Nikon 18-35mm gets my vote, especially as a light walk around lens.

bcylau
11-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Samyang/ Rokinon 14mm 2.8. This thing works great on FF format, plus is as good or just about as good as the 14-24, at least it was better than the 14mm 2.8 nikkor that I adapted to my 5d

But its MF only, but I dont find it that big of a deal on FF UWA, especially if you use live view to focus.

Mitsu3000gt
11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Under a foot folded is pretty damn small, especially with a tripod head on it (unless the legs are big enough to reverse-fold over the tripod head).

The smallest one Gitzo even sells is 13" folded and only holds a ridiculous 4.41lbs. Their other traveling ones are the same length as the Feisols, about 16" folded.

It's going to be tough finding a tripod as small as you want that will hold 7lbs. I always just pack my tripod in my suitcase, even with ballhead attached and not reverse folded, it fits with room to spare. After that, it weighs basically nothing so I just hook it onto my backpack and it isn't even an inconvenience at all. It also holds over 22lbs with ease, so I could pretty much mount whatever combo I wanted on it.

How big is your current Giottos? I assume too big to fit in your suitcase?

Go4Long
11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by bcylau
Samyang/ Rokinon 14mm 2.8. This thing works great on FF format, plus is as good or just about as good as the 14-24, at least it was better than the 14mm 2.8 nikkor that I adapted to my 5d

But its MF only, but I dont find it that big of a deal on FF UWA, especially if you use live view to focus.

of the few reviews of it none of them claim it to be even close to in the same league as the 14-24, ken rockwell's a crackpot, but even still, if he refers to it as "Optically the worst 14mm FX lens sold today, but much better than nothing at all.", I don't know if it's a viable option.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/samyang/14mm-f28.htm

I'll measure the tripod later on today...

quazimoto
11-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Seeing as how the IQ on the 14-24 F2.8 is better than the 14mm F2.8L. The 14-24 is a freak show lens at 14mm. I'll stress this the only advantage of that lens is the ultra wide side at 14mm to 20mm. At 24mm the 24mm 1.4G will crush the living crap out of it. Sharpness wise there is no other lens around that focal length that can even compare to it.

The 24mm 1.4G is sharper at 1.4 then the 14-24 is at F2.8 or even F4. What I want to see next year is a 14mm 1.4G with similar characteristics as the 24mm 1.4G. It would be the ultimate wide angle lens.

Go4Long
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
and it would cost more than a good used car :-P

quazimoto
11-01-2010, 02:11 PM
My guess $2,199. And I think we'll see it next year. We'll also see a 50mm 1.2G in that $2,199 price bracket as well unfortnuately.

I would hope they eventually put out something like a 14mm F4. The wide angle primes are absurd. Price wise though Nikon wont have much for you in terms of incredible quality.

I'm still not even sure with an ultra wide like a 14mm that you'd be able to get the entire fountains of bellagio in one single shot. You would need something crazy or need to have nobody standing there lol. I'd honestly say just stick with the 24.

Go4Long
11-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I got an 18-35 on it's way for cheap off the fleabay

Mitsu3000gt
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
I got an 18-35 on it's way for cheap off the fleabay

Very nice. It's a very good lens for the money. It's average until stopped down to around F8 where it seems to really shine.

blitz
11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
The one I owned before I got my 16-35mm VR was sharp even wide open, might have just been a really nice copy.

Go4Long
11-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I still might sell this after Vegas until I can get the 14-24 we'll see how I like it.

Mitsu3000gt
11-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I still might sell this after Vegas until I can get the 14-24 we'll see how I like it.

Just don't try the 14-24 until you can afford it haha (assuming you haven't already). Everything else will seem incredibly average in comparison and you will want to own it immediately.

Go4Long
11-01-2010, 04:10 PM
haven't tried it yet...saw one pop up on miranda for $1250 a few days ago and was in the process of carrying the one on my math to get it and it sold...lol

bcylau
11-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I am not sure which reviews you were reading but that samyang is resolving at very close to the nyquist freq. (not directly comparable but they both show they are in the ex to vg range)

http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/lenses/samyang_14_28_5d/mtf.png

http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_afs_1424_28_ff/mtf.png

its more likely rockwell cant use a MF lens properly. it's a real alternative @ $300 to $400. plus if you do movies, then this will be your sharpnest 14mm lens in ef mount.

blitz
11-04-2010, 03:37 PM
What about this tripod? 14" folded up.

Benro @ Vistek (http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoBenro/247610/benro-trab169-aluminum-travel-angel-kit.aspx)

Go4Long
11-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by blitz
What about this tripod? 14" folded up.

Benro @ Vistek (http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoBenro/247610/benro-trab169-aluminum-travel-angel-kit.aspx)

Looks like a decent little setup. I was pretty much convinced to buy the 14-24, but I now am leaning towards a 16-35 as I can get it, some filters, and a tripod all for the cost of the 14-24.

So anyone looking for an 18-35 I'll have one for sale here once it arrives and I can verify it's condition.

Go4Long
11-08-2010, 01:12 PM
So the NAS struck while I was in the store playing with them, and I ended up with the 14-24 after all...there's a rebate on it right now, and I just couldn't resist...I also bought the above mentioned Benro Tripod. Hate to do the typical Calgary shot, but here she is, my first shot with the new lens(coincidentally on the new tripod) I didn't even manage to go all the way home before stopping to play with it :poosie: straight out of camera except for the crop and cleaning up some sensor dust :facepalm:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5158456037_09030b8d68_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/go4long/5158456037/)
Calgary 14-24 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/go4long/5158456037/) by Steven Szabo (http://www.flickr.com/people/go4long/), on Flickr

djayz
11-08-2010, 01:30 PM
How's the tripod? I'm looking to pick up a travel companion soon.

blitz
11-08-2010, 01:36 PM
I was looking at picking up that tripod this week. You liking it?

Go4Long
11-08-2010, 01:37 PM
it's pretty good...the last section of the legs(there's 4) is a little skinny, so I don't think I would use it for a long exposure like that...it folds up really small and comes with a very nice little bag thing so I should be able to tuck it in to my suitcase with no problem. the ball head on it is actually a pretty pleasant surprise, locks in solid, nice feel to it, all the necessary adjustments, very impressed.

Mitsu3000gt
11-08-2010, 02:08 PM
LOL I knew you would buy the 14-24. Very nice choice. It's just too good - nothing else even comes close. Just watch that front element though!

For anyone looking at tripods, I would strongly recommend looking at Feisol as well. Prices are similar to Benro, but the Feisol holds significantly more weight, is significantly lighter, and is carbon fiber which dampens vibrations extremely well (very important). It's slightly longer when folded, but still EASILY fits into even a medium sized suitcase. I have zero issues using it for long exposure, macros, etc.

Go4Long
11-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I just bought the benro because of it's size...lol...I have a Giottos that I use for all my general stuff.

the front element is a little concerning. but yes...it really is pretty amazing.

Mitsu3000gt
11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I just bought the benro because of it's size...lol...I have a Giottos that I use for all my general stuff.

the front element is a little concerning. but yes...it really is pretty amazing.

Ah yes - I forgot you had two tripods.

Anyways there are also filter solutions available now for the 14-24 if you didn't already know. Not as cheap as going out and buying a 77mm of course, but if you need them they're available. There are some home made ones too.

blitz
11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Yup, I have a CF Manfrotto, but something that's half the length folded will come in handy, especially when I'm using my GF1.

Thanks for the info!

Go4Long
11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Anyways there are also filter solutions available now for the 14-24 if you didn't already know. Not as cheap as going out and buying a 77mm of course, but if you need them they're available. There are some home made ones too.

The lee filters one has been in the works for quite some time and still isn't available yet from what I can tell, there's this:
http://www.adorama.com/CKXP164KNK.html
but it still vignettes anything below 17mm(which is still fuggin wide)
and a couple other ones that I've seen people make, but they all seem to vignette on full frame anything lower than 17-18mm

Go4Long
11-09-2010, 12:15 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1093/5162001056_9ce6441527_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/go4long/5162001056/)
Just A Little Flare (http://www.flickr.com/photos/go4long/5162001056/) by Steven Szabo (http://www.flickr.com/people/go4long/), on Flickr

Just a lil flare