PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrap my car

Pages : [1] 2

max_boost
11-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Bored of looking at the Silver NSX so want to change it to black or white.

How much $$$ and where? No I don't have the patience and skill to diy for $120. Rather have a pro who does it for a living and charges a reasonable price.

Want member reviews who's friends etc. have had it done. I don't want to pay more than $3000.

I have 3M on the car right now so probably have to get it removed.

TIA

inline6turbo
11-01-2010, 01:05 PM
If I were you, I'd do the matte black 3M instead of the vinyl. I've seen so many cars vinyl wrapped and the rocks just rip right through it and it peels at the edges... I guess it depends on how perfect you need it to be.

Either way, the matte 3M is called "Stealth" and I recommend that.

Expect around $3500-$4000 regardless of which way you choose to go.

max_boost
11-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks Renee. Not interested in the matte black at all.

I just wanted it straight black or white and was concerned about the materials and how well it'll hold up to rock chips etc.

inline6turbo
11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Well, perhaps talk to some people who've done it, and go check out how you like it on their cars. Vinyl doesn't stretch so you'll have a lot of seams throughout the application. Every car that comes in here with vinyl on the front is ripped up pretty bad. So expect to be replacing pieces often. Perhaps talking to rage2 would be helpful.

G-ZUS
11-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I emailed the place in Okotoks for a estimate. they estimated ~4500 to wrap my Honda Accord coupe. I decided against it.

max_boost
11-01-2010, 01:17 PM
haha damn looks like I won't be wrapping anything :rofl:

max_boost
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
If I were you, I'd do the matte black 3M instead of the vinyl. I've seen so many cars vinyl wrapped and the rocks just rip right through it and it peels at the edges... I guess it depends on how perfect you need it to be.

Either way, the matte 3M is called "Stealth" and I recommend that.

Expect around $3500-$4000 regardless of which way you choose to go.

Wait, I can do 3M matte white right?
:D

R-Audi
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
The stuff Rage used was a clear matte.... so it just makes whatever color you already have matte.

benyl
11-01-2010, 02:21 PM
No, you can do matte silver. The 3M is still clear.

http://www.xpel.com/products/stealth_film.asp

rage2
11-01-2010, 02:22 PM
The matte wrap (color change stuff) is 2mils thick, and when stretched, even thinner. Mine is ripped up pretty bad on the C63, and I wouldn't do it again. The guy with the matte white lambo with the same material had so many repair jobs on the film that he gave up and is repainting the car matte white instead.

The stealth stuff that Renee is talking about is a CLEAR matte finish like 3M, at 8mils thick. So on your Silver NSX it becomes Matte Silver. It doesn't change your color. It's held up very well on my black series. Zero problems so far.

Both are in the $4-5k range to get done professionally.

Tik-Tok
11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Bored of looking at the Silver NSX

[jealous] I hate you. [/jelaous]

max_boost
11-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Ahhh.....got it.

Thanks for the clarification.

max_boost
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The matte wrap (color change stuff) is 2mils thick, and when stretched, even thinner. Mine is ripped up pretty bad on the C63, and I wouldn't do it again. The guy with the matte white lambo with the same material had so many repair jobs on the film that he gave up and is repainting the car matte white instead.

The stealth stuff that Renee is talking about is a CLEAR matte finish like 3M, at 8mils thick. So on your Silver NSX it becomes Matte Silver. It doesn't change your color. It's held up very well on my black series. Zero problems so far.

So rage2 what's the maintenance like on the CLEAR matte finish? Do you have to clean the film with a Plexus plastic cleaner? like how you would to prevent the yellowing on the film over time? :dunno:

Xtrema
11-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Matte Silver eh?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=322775&stc=1&d=1257436170

rage2
11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I clean it by washing and drying with a soft towel.

In most cases, it looks perfect. I have noticed that in direct light that there are some spots that are shinier (the area was cleaned using a wax spray) so I think I have to wax the entire car to get it consistent again. It only shows up in direct sunlight, so I'm not too worried.

For silver, you won't even notice it. My car's black, so the shinier spots are more noticable.

max_boost
11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Curious to see how it'll turn out on the silverstone metallic but man $5k is a lot of $$$ to dump on matte/film protection. I only average 500kms on the car per month :rofl: and it'll be parked for 3 months coming up here haha

legendboy
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM

I am curious what the material cost is and how long it actually takes them to wrap a car

benyl
11-01-2010, 03:29 PM
haha, the irony of someone complaining about $5K being spent on car. How much were your wheels again? haha

inline6turbo
11-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Oh really? I didn't know that! That's such a good idea.

Thanks for the clarification, I've never used it before!

89coupe
11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Bored of looking at the Silver NSX so want to change it to black or white.

How much $$$ and where? No I don't have the patience and skill to diy for $120. Rather have a pro who does it for a living and charges a reasonable price.

Want member reviews who's friends etc. have had it done. I don't want to pay more than $3000.

I have 3M on the car right now so probably have to get it removed.

TIA

If you do get it done, don't waste your time with anyone but this guy.

www.thompsongraphics.com

Anyone else is just second best.

Modelexis
11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
The problems rage was having with his thin vinyl tearing can be avoided by running the roll through a cold laminator with either a matte or gloss wrap grade laminate overtop.

This gives you the thickness you need to have a lasting wrap.

rage2
11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
Oh really? I didn't know that! That's such a good idea.

Thanks for the clarification, I've never used it before!
I'll probably want you to do a full detail my car to get rid of the shiny spots... I was told a full wax job will do the trick. Do you make housecalls? Let me know when you're free, before the snow. Shoot me a txt if you still have my #!

Originally posted by 89coupe
If you do get it done, don't waste your time with anyone but this guy.

www.thompsongraphics.com

Anyone else is just second best.
Darren would've been my first choice, since he's done a lot of work on my previous cars, but he doesn't do full wraps to the edge, which is required for the stealth or vinyl wraps.

roll_over
11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
You can buy 48 inch vinyl by the yard, but i think once you cross that mark you may need to buy a full roll of the 60 which would set you back about $550.

inline6turbo
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM

I'll probably want you to do a full detail my car to get rid of the shiny spots... I was told a full wax job will do the trick. Do you make housecalls? Let me know when you're free, before the snow. Shoot me a txt if you still have my #!

Darren would've been my first choice, since he's done a lot of work on my previous cars, but he doesn't do full wraps to the edge, which is required for the stealth or vinyl wraps.

Yes I do house calls. No I don't have your number, got a new phone. PM when you have a chance.

When you say full wrap to the edge, do you consider your old M3 wrapped to the edges? I know vinyl is a lot easier to get it to stick in those tough places and 3M generally hates it, so I'd love to see how you CLK turned out and how close they got. If the thinner 3M can stick better that would be pretty exciting for me as an installer :p

max_boost
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM

In most cases, it looks perfect. I have noticed that in direct light that there are some spots that are shinier (the area was cleaned using a wax spray) so I think I have to wax the entire car to get it consistent again. It only shows up in direct sunlight, so I'm not too worried.

For silver, you won't even notice it. My car's black, so the shinier spots are more noticable.

Did Spy Design in Okotoks do your black series too?

Originally posted by benyl
haha, the irony of someone complaining about $5K being spent on car. How much were your wheels again? haha

haha but $5k here, $5k there and it's just:nut:

rage2
11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Tinting Illusions did my Black Series. Okotoks is just too far from my house. The end result, I thought TI did a better job, but it could be because the material (stealth vs vinyl) is supposedly easier to work with.

TI also did the Carbon F40 wrap. I'm not a big fan of it, but it does look pretty good in pictures. In person, there are too many seams, but again, that's just the nature of the vinyl material.

Jeremiah
11-01-2010, 05:31 PM
i wouldn't bother with the clear stuff max.

If you're going to spend that much money you're going to be compromising seeing as you're tired of looking at the silver to begin with.

Repaint the Car Matte White, and be on your merry way

911fever
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
yeah not for that money, man. Just spend it elsewhere, get it painted.. if you really dislike the color, get that bored

Jlude
11-01-2010, 08:18 PM
quit your bitchin'... stay away from Cleo (:poosie: ) for a night with Tomco and there's your Stealth Wrap!

I'd just do it. What's 5k when you're ballin'?

That.Guy.S30
11-01-2010, 10:03 PM
just get Carbon body parts...

88CRX
11-01-2010, 10:14 PM
You don't need a wrap.... you need an NSX-R hood and wing!

psycoticclown
11-01-2010, 11:09 PM
^^What he said.

And wouldn't a repaint lower the value of the car?

Team_Mclaren
11-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Sam leave the fuckign car alone or im taking it back to Ohio :rofl: :rofl:

M.alex
11-02-2010, 01:26 AM
NSX looks good in silver.

Wrapping it is just going to cost needless $$ and look like ass after a while.

Shlade
11-02-2010, 04:50 AM
sell it

your obviously getting bored of it

You had the car you wanted for a while now time to move on..

ExtraSlow
11-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
sell it to ExtraSlow

your obviously getting bored of it

You had the car you wanted for a while now time to move on.. Fixed

Tomaz
11-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Repaint matte white. :drool:
+
NSX-R exterior :clap:
=
sexytime! :love:

88CRX
11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Yea don't respray unless you have to.

Not to mention a good respray is going to cost $10k+ and you'll never see anything close to that in resale value (it will probably lower it).

911fever
11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Yea don't respray unless you have to.

Not to mention a good respray is going to cost $10k+ and you'll never see anything close to that in resale value (it will probably lower it).

it will lower it. Because people ask questions, like why would you repaint it, when it looked great as it is? Original OEM paint is always better looking, and will always have better resale, especially on a super rare car like an NSX.

RecoilS14
11-02-2010, 01:53 PM
if it costs 5k to wrap the car, why not just get it re-painted?? the price cant be that much different unless your going over board. But i haven't priced out a respray in years, so i could be way off.

Anton
11-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
if it costs 5k to wrap the car, why not just get it re-painted?? the price cant be that much different unless your going over board. But i haven't priced out a respray in years, so i could be way off.

I would assume he wanted it wrapped for the reasons above. So, when he wants to sell the car, take the wrap off and sell it at a premium.

I remember you said you wanted to buy a white one so repaint it white and keep it for a while. Resale only matters if you sell it.

89coupe
11-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Just asked him and he said he does.:dunno:

max_boost
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
OK Thanks for all the info. I was uninformed so got curious about how the whole wrapping thing worked but I've decided to not do anything. Just going to leisurely drive the car and keep it as is, no type r hood or wing or anything of that nature. I did contemplate all that at one point but I would have just bought the white one from Vancouver that QPDO ended up getting (white, modded etc.)

With that said NSX is available if one of you enthusiast should be interested lol I'm itching for something faster that I can bomb around year round in. A used 911 Turbo maybe? lol :burnout: but too bad Kulu sold the black 6 speed on his site :( but I'm sure he'll probably get more in later haha :D

M.alex
11-02-2010, 06:38 PM
OK Thanks for all the info. I was uninformed so got curious about how the whole wrapping thing worked but I've decided to not do anything. Just going to leisurely drive the car and keep it as is, no type r hood or wing or anything of that nature. I did contemplate all that at one point but I would have just bought the white one from Vancouver that QPDO ended up getting (white, modded etc.)

With that said NSX is available if one of you enthusiast should be interested lol I'm itching for something faster that I can bomb around year round in. A used 911 Turbo maybe? lol :burnout: but too bad Kulu sold the black 6 speed on his site :( but I'm sure he'll probably get more in later haha :D

pffft, get something more inspiring. Heck, pay me to build you something more inspiring.

200kish gets you this. 2000lb curb weigh, 900hp n/a on pump gas, 100k+ reliability w/ only oil changes

http://image.motortrend.com/f/motorsports/porsche-bringing-racing-legends-to-goodwood-festival/6447307+w600+cr1+re0+ar1/1986-porsche-962c.jpg

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnn :burnout:

89coupe
11-03-2010, 09:40 AM

500HP, AWD & can seat 4 comfortably

http://www.bentleymotors.com/media/med/Libraries/1/Homepage-multi-image_3.jpg

Jlude
11-03-2010, 10:10 AM
^^ a little more expensive than a 70k NSX

89coupe
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Jlude
^^ a little more expensive than a 70k NSX

yep

I'm shocked Rage isn't rolling in one of these.

89coupe
11-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Wrapped in black.

http://www.motiondreams.co.uk/USERIMAGES/BENTLRY%20WRAP%20FRONT.JPG

rage2
11-03-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm shocked Rage isn't rolling in one of these.
That car is way too flashy for me. I like to own cars that are actually fun to drive and throw into corners.

max_boost
11-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey rage2,

SLK63 still coming? Hopefully they keep it the same price lol

Jlude
11-03-2010, 02:01 PM

That car is way too flashy for me. I like to own cars that are actually fun to drive and throw into corners.

That was my first though when 89Coupe mentioned the Bentley, how much fun is it to drive? More of a status symbol.

89coupe
11-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Sounds pretty decent to me.:dunno:

...and you can drive it year round.

Overall, the GT coupe is 65kg lighter than its predecessor thanks to reductions in all areas of the car from engine components through to new seats. With its power output raised by 15PS and torque by 50 Nm - to 575PS (567bhp/423kW) and 700Nm (516lb ft) – the result is a 6 percent improvement in the new GT’s power-to weight-ratio, making it capable of accelerating from zero to 60mph in just 4.4 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.6 seconds) with a top speed of 198mph (318km/h).

The increased power and torque are transmitted to the all-wheel drive system via an uprated six-speed Quickshift transmission, which halves shift times (to just 200 milliseconds). The revised gearbox also has the ability to deliver double downshifts (sixth to fourth gear, for example) and improves acceleration across the entire gear range. To cope with the additional power and torque, the planetary gear set of the six-speed ZF transmission is also strengthened.

Positive torque during downshifts is achieved through engine and gearbox electronic controller interaction for extra throttle and fuel injection during the overrun, replicating manual throttle ‘blips’ for precise rev matching . During transmission upshifts, fuel and ignition are cut momentarily to give faster mechanical shift times through torque reduction, also improving shift quality and durability.

“The W12’s extra power and torque and Quickshift transmission endow the new GT with instantly accessible supercar performance across the complete rev range. At the same time, Bentley’s pioneering use of FlexFuel technology underlines our ongoing environmental commitment.”

Brian Gush, Director, Chassis and Powertrain, Engineering

ALL-WHEEL DRIVE FOR OPTIMISED RIDE AND HANDLING

Both engines are coupled with a state-of-the-art, all-wheel drive system employing an advanced Torsen differential. This ensures safe yet dynamic sports car handling in all road conditions and all weathers.

In the new coupe, the power split has a 40:60 rear bias for a significantly more sporting feel in terms of handling and mid-corner acceleration. However, it can adjust instantaneously the power split between the front and rear wheels depending on the available grip. In addition, an uprated Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system provides additional security and grip whatever your driving style.

The new GT’s chassis delivers the optimum ride and handling balance. The wide front and rear track benefits agility and handling, while solid aluminium cast-forged, high-stiffness front suspension uprights and aluminium gravity die castings at the rear work in conjunction with a redesigned front anti-roll bar and retuned spring and damper settings. The result is improved response and stability at all speeds.

Continuous Damping Control (CDC) constantly monitors the car’s attitude and poise. By adjusting the suspension settings hundreds of times a second it can provide a remarkably supple ride at low speeds and increased control as speeds climb. It can also lower the car in ‘V-Max’ mode for enhanced stability at the highest speeds.

Xtrema
11-03-2010, 03:36 PM
If Rage said R8 is boring, it's sure move VW line of product except Lambo and Porsche would be boring to him.

88CRX
11-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Holy :hijack:

SilverStreak
11-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Has anyone seen 3M Stealth in matte white??

Also, wouldn't the matte white discolour after awhile?

shakalaka
11-03-2010, 09:30 PM

500HP, AWD & can seat 4 comfortably

http://www.bentleymotors.com/media/med/Libraries/1/Homepage-multi-image_3.jpg

Now that car is pure sex! It's gonna be my year round car.

AutoObsessed
11-11-2010, 07:06 PM

If it is a matte wrap we have a product that works very well and is made for clear bras, it has a UV protectant in it to help protect against yellowing from the sun.

We have used it on black matte wraps and the results are excellent. Chemicla Guys Clear Seal

http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/chemical-guys-clear-seal-16oz-p-521.html

If it is matte paint on only recomend that Opaque line from Swissvax. Swissvax is the only manufacture that makes wax, cleaners, and Quick Detailers for Matte paints. http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/swissvax-m-69.html

star-k
01-31-2012, 09:36 AM

Wait, I can do 3M matte white right?

Hey I'm wrapping entire black S2000 (AP1) to matte White. I'm completing this project on my own time and effort.

3M substrate has no visible transmission to its adhesive surface; so it is not possible to see the original body color post application. I've done a few accesories and only the main body panels & bumpers remain. I'm extremely pleased with the results so far.

I advise to double/triple/quad wrap (areas more susceptible to small /med rock belts, highway bugs etc.) for added protection; front lip, bumper areas etc.

Btw, matte white is actually brighter than most white paints on the market. And I would also recommend if / when you find an installer / tech. Ask them how to ensure the wrap will not "leak" or start peeling" because if it is improperly wrapped (it will appear to be actually perfectly wrapped) The wrap will start to peel (dush, water intrained)
Make sure the wrapping finish has decent edge seal and bleeding. (over wrap)

The 1080 substrate surface also works very well with decals and logos adhesives.

Skyline_Addict
01-31-2012, 12:14 PM
it seems like repainting is just the better way to go.

rage2
01-31-2012, 12:51 PM
I dunno where you guys are getting $5k quotes to repaint a car. Last time I had a car completely repainted, it was a $13k job. That wasn't even a color change.

Disoblige
01-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Last time I had a car completely repainted, it was a $13k job. That wasn't even a color change.
:eek:

star-k
01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
I dunno where you guys are getting $5k quotes to repaint a car. Last time I had a car completely repainted, it was a $13k job. That wasn't even a color change.

Very true, expensive..

Using Vinyl wrap is an alternate option; for those that want to completely change the body colour:

Cost to change from black to white paint, by professional painting can cost too much for some people. (even higher for matte white paint) For example a respray and finish of a bumper can cost anywhere from $400-1500 depending on the desired finish, quality, coats etc. Vinyl can start from base TCT graphics (not recommended) $100 to avery / 3M 1080 (highly recommended) $250 for the best possible wrap (assuming enough warp to cover entire bumper)

Autobody paint vehicle
----------------------
Cost: $10000-$15000 (est.)
Type: Permanent paint
Advantage: Infinite paint combinations
Disadvantage: Removal of original OEM paint
Life: Paint should last lifetime of vehicle
Expect: New paint normally exposed to environment, might as well do vinyl protection
Experience: requires professional tools and experience

Vinyl Wrap vehicle DIY
----------------------
Cost: $1000-$1500 (est.)
Type: Removable to show original paint
Advantage: cost, color change, sections can be redone, preservation of OEM paint, additional layers for more protection if necessary.
Disadvantage: very limited color selection, DIY is a learning process.
Life: 6-10 year life
Expect: Substrate wrap now exposed to environment
Experience: little, easy and simple to wrap

JRSC00LUDE
01-31-2012, 02:29 PM

Because they go to shops that mask and spray a car, not ones that remove every light, window, moulding and door/trunk panel and actually do it right.

(even though I'm positive that was essentially a rhetorical question)

ddduke
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by star-k

Vinyl Wrap vehicle DIY
----------------------
Cost: $1000-$1500 (est.)

Experience: little, easy and simple to wrap

I don't know where you're getting your info from or wat industry you're in but you're out to lunch.

First of all, not a single shop will wrap your car for this price (I'm assuming the cost posted is with labour because for your paint comparison it was $10-15000). Second, I have 2 vehicles wrapped, I did both and it's not that easy, try doing a bumper, grill, etc. It's really time consuming and is something you have to be skilled at to do right.

If you can find someone who will do a great job, thinks it's easy and will cover all materials for $1500 then send them my way, they'll have a life long customer and I can refer a ton of business their way.

Mibz
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM
FYI, DIY means "Do It Yourself"

FYI means "For Your Information"

88CRX
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

WTF?

Disoblige
02-02-2012, 04:02 PM

:rofl: nice

flipstah
02-02-2012, 04:34 PM

LOL nice catch.

I wanted to get my car "repainted" but for $5k, it's technically a "touchup"; just lightly sand then paint on top of it.

Too rich for my blood.

star-k
02-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

I don't know where you're getting your info from or wat industry you're in but you're out to lunch.

First of all, not a single shop will wrap your car for this price (I'm assuming the cost posted is with labour because for your paint comparison it was $10-15000). Second, I have 2 vehicles wrapped, I did both and it's not that easy, try doing a bumper, grill, etc. It's really time consuming and is something you have to be skilled at to do right.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
^ this is totally correct (taking the vehicle to the shop). I was mentioning about DIY. So i'm really showing how much (estimated only) costs are.. again DIY.

If you can find someone who will do a great job, thinks it's easy and will cover all materials for $1500 then send them my way, they'll have a life long customer and I can refer a ton of business their way.

^I will post pictures once the wrap is complete.

DIY = Do it yourself. Hence the cost of the material is all I am paying for. and so far the costs are at approx $900 total, then again the S2000 is a small vehicle. So not much material may be required to wrap. And you are right it does costs much higher.. that is if your paying for someone else to do it.

You can start with smaller items and work to see how the substrate behaves etc. Build experience and you can do it compeltely yourself. I've already started on the project and it will be done in a week. (evenings only)

ddduke
02-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Sorry, I missed this. But you can't compare a $15k pro paint job to a DIY vynil wrap. His whole point is still bullshit.

I can go buy a spray gun from PA, get paint pre mixed and paint my car for under $1000.

Mibz
02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't know shit about the topic at hand, I just wanted to be funny :P

EDIT: I should just make that my sig...

star-k
02-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Sorry, I missed this. But you can't compare a $15k pro paint job to a DIY vynil wrap. His whole point is still bullshit.

I can go buy a spray gun from PA, get paint pre mixed and paint my car for under $1000.

.. We are talking about an option to change the color / pigment of a vehicle. it's again an option. (re-read)

Why is it "bullshit"?

The "Point" is to achieve a different pigment, vinyl happens to be a viable option to exercise. Vinyl is NOT a paint job, it's a wrap.

Perhaps your not quite familiar with some of the reasons why consumers choose vinyl.

Tik-Tok
02-04-2012, 11:22 PM
I don't know shit about the topic at hand, I just wanted to be funny :P

EDIT: I should just make that my sig...

That could be almost everyone sig :rofl:

ddduke
02-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by star-k

.. We are talking about an option to change the color / pigment of a vehicle. it's again an option. (re-read)

Why is it "bullshit"?

The "Point" is to achieve a different pigment, vinyl happens to be a viable option to exercise. Vinyl is NOT a paint job, it's a wrap.

Perhaps your not quite familiar with some of the reasons why consumers choose vinyl.

I'm not taking a personal shot at you so dont get offended. All i said is that you cant compare pro paint to DIY vynil, because the DIY job wont be the same, if i see your car in person I guarantee that there will be piles of flaws. You can compare pro paint to pro vynil, then your argument will be more accurate, you make it seem like vynil is 10% of paint when really it's 30-40% which is still cheaper but much more expensive then you make it seem.

I do understand vynil and why people use it, thats why my truck and bike are both wrapped and why i'll wrap my next truck too.

You just make it sound so easy which it isnt, not to mention when you are learning you have atleast 5 times the waste because of fuck ups.

Modelexis
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
vynil vynil vynil vynil vynil...

Dude, you seriously need to get firefox or some browser that points out your obvious spelling errors. This is embarrassing, the correct spelling is even in the thread title...

ddduke
02-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Dude, you seriously need to get firefox or some browser that points out your obvious spelling errors. This is embarrassing, the correct spelling is even in the thread title...

:whocares:

my point still gets across. This isn't fucking english class. This is why so many people don`t want to post here, because douchebags like you completely bypass the point of a post and go straight to picking apart spelling, punctuation, etc.

Modelexis
02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
my point still gets across. This isn't fucking english class. This is why so many people don`t want to post here, because douchebags like you completely bypass the point of a post and go straight to picking apart spelling, punctuation, etc.

I understand what you're saying, and I have nothing to offer the conversation, but if you don't even care to spell words pertaining to the topic in discussion you'll get back what you put in. So if you put out a lazy who gives a shit attitude to everything, you will get people that don't give a shit about what you're actually saying and instead will just suggest you fix your grade school problems and come back when you've sorted that out.

I'm not preaching from any level of perfection, firefox spell check has saved my ass hundreds of times and improved my spelling by leaps.

Proboscis
02-09-2012, 03:16 AM
how is this wrap going to come off? leave it alone.

star-k
02-09-2012, 01:50 PM

I'm not taking a personal shot at you so dont get offended. All i said is that you cant compare pro paint to DIY vynil, because the DIY job wont be the same, if i see your car in person I guarantee that there will be piles of flaws. You can compare pro paint to pro vynil, then your argument will be more accurate, you make it seem like vynil is 10% of paint when really it's 30-40% which is still cheaper but much more expensive then you make it seem.

I do understand vynil and why people use it, thats why my truck and bike are both wrapped and why i'll wrap my next truck too.

You just make it sound so easy which it isnt, not to mention when you are learning you have atleast 5 times the waste because of fuck ups.

I'm not offended, I simply seek justification from the language used, (was it necessary?) anyways, your right to a certain extent. It's not a comparison, rather an option. Vinyl is much lower cost; you even have it on your vehicles.

Sure there may be piles of flaws, sure there will be mistakes; is it not the way people learn? by doing things correctly and making mistakes? (fixing them along the way / redo?) Its simply a way to create experience; and when you have a lot of experience, you can be considered a pro (You can charge for your work furnished) So, I'm willing to make the trial and error to complete my product to a desired state; and if/when an individual can become a pro, they would surely teach it to other people.

Yourright, doing anything the first time is not easy, or it can also be easy, depends what the state of mind is. So to avoid headache and error, I'd say follow this philosophy:

If you want it cheap and fast, it won't be accurate/reliable
if you want it Cheap and accurate/reliable, it won't be fast.
If you want it fast and accurate/reliable, it' won't be cheap

The above thinking can apply to tuning as well.

Either way, the project will be done as soon as I have time away from the office, and I'm going to happy to share photos.

BensonTT
02-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Vinyl wrap fad is not done and over wit yet? lol

Trinzler
02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
How is it a fad when people can change the colour of their cars without having to spray over their factory paint ?

Nissan_Fanboy
05-01-2012, 12:15 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/405762_10151132930895206_898815205_22303041_45627535_n.jpg
Been vinyl wrapped since November, I like it, not really faded at all . Never sits in the garage, always in direct sun.

FOR SALE!

ercchry
07-10-2014, 09:50 AM
so... figured why not wrap a car this week?

http://i.imgur.com/md4Ee3x.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/t5Fwwce.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0hUPg8R.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4d2QHO4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hxOlNX6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UxBVEJm.jpg

turns out... lots of work :rofl:

probably 16 man hours in right now, still have to finish off the driver's side then have to do the lower sections still... hopefully finished up tonight

BavarianBeast
07-10-2014, 10:06 AM
I wrapped my entire E92 M3 over the winter. Fuck is it a lot of work, learned a ton though and had a blast doing it.

Took me a total of 50 hours. I took off the skirts, bumpers and door handles.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_6981_0.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and... No I am not willing to wrap anybodys car for any amount of money. It's a ton of work, headaches and time.

95EG6P
07-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
I wrapped my entire E92 M3 over the winter. Fuck is it a lot of work, learned a ton though and had a blast doing it.

Took me a total of 50 hours. I took off the skirts, bumpers and door handles.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_6981_0.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and... No I am not willing to wrap anybodys car for any amount of money. It's a ton of work, headaches and time.

damn that looks sick as hell, :clap:

bjstare
07-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Do you guys mind posting what you ended up spending on wrap/little tools/etc to do this? I'm toying with the idea of doing my car over the winter as well.

ercchry
07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
bought a full roll of 3m 1080, just over $700... then a felt glove, was $9... had a squeegee, but they are like $5, then felt for that was $2? then a knife... i had to buy new blades... pack of 5 was $2... um, heat gun? had one of those... but a really good one is like $150? having a friend that works up north and is on days off with a triple garage and the abilities to help? priceless :rofl:

bjstare
07-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
bought a full roll of 3m 1080, just over $700... then a felt glove, was $9... had a squeegee, but they are like $5, then felt for that was $2? then a knife... i had to buy new blades... pack of 5 was $2... um, heat gun? had one of those... but a really good one is like $150? having a friend that works up north and is on days off with a triple garage and the abilities to help? priceless :rofl:

Well I have the garage space and heat gun (and obv knives and blades), just looks like I'd need the wrap and some felt stuff. Is it necessary to do this with two people (I would imagine so, but I'm just curious)?

Is that wrap just as susceptible to chipping/tearing as was mentioned at the beginning of this thread? Are you going to be double/triple wrapping your bumpers, or just risking it?

Sorry for all the questions. It's a slow day at work, what can I say.

BavarianBeast
07-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Cost for me was about $600 all in. That included several fuck ups, material and tools. Order 3M 1080 series from ND Graphics.

I know Rage got his wrap done at shadow tint. But IMHO their work really isn't that great. I was going to get them to wrap my front bumper, but disovered I could do a much better job on my own.

I wrapped my 135i before this car, and the vinyl held up great. It actually even held up after the flood last year, and I mean the vinyl on the car was absolutely perfect after being submerged in a parkade for 2 weeks.

If you primer the vinyl properly, and take car of it when you get chips, it can last a very long time. I wouldn't double or tripple wrap anything.

ercchry
07-10-2014, 01:12 PM
i might toss some stone shield over the front end... but with the matte im not too sure how that will look, dunno if the stealth stuff would change the look and gloss.. well, that just wont work. had to redo the roof (first panel i ever wrapped before) and it still looks like i'll have extra film once im done this boat, a full roll is 75ft

G-ZUS
07-10-2014, 01:20 PM
If you primer the vinyl properly, and take car of it when you get chips, it can last a very long time. I wouldn't double or tripple wrap anything.

What do you mean by primer the vinyl?

Also, how do you do the rear quarter panel where it goes to the roof? 1 piece?

BavarianBeast
07-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

What do you mean by primer the vinyl?

Also, how do you do the rear quarter panel where it goes to the roof? 1 piece?

When you buy the vinyl, ask for the 3M vinyl primer as well.

Apply it using a Q-Tip and use it on the edges where you wrap around so the vinyl does not peel. For example, I used primer inside my wheel wells and on the back sides of my bumpers so I could wrap the material around and have it stick properly.

Yes, 1 very big fucking piece. IMO this is the biggest pain in the ass unless you have a very complex bumper like the one on my M3.

ercchry
07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
i have a seam between roof and quarter panel, so i just had to do the pillar, was pretty cake, cut out the film tot he rough shape, tape it in place with backing still on, then peel backing off for qp section only, wrap that. then do the long pillar run

Toma
07-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
Vinyl wrap fad is not done and over wit yet? lol

This is what I was thinking. Thought it went wrap to plasti dip, back to paint lol

Now if you still see it, nothing more ghetto than a wrapped lambo or ferrari lol

BavarianBeast
07-10-2014, 03:45 PM
^ Yeah because protecting your $200+k investment is ghetto.

Fuck me. :banghead:

slinkie
07-10-2014, 04:31 PM
^ Yeah because protecting your $200+k investment is ghetto.

Fuck me. :banghead:

Flexin' major to a 2 year old post :rolleyes:

dino_martini
07-10-2014, 05:42 PM
if you vinyl wrap your car, do you have to tell the registry/insurance that you change the color on your car? Or is it kosher pretty much to drive around with a car a different color than what it says on your reg/insurance?

gpomp
07-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Toma

This is what I was thinking. Thought it went wrap to plasti dip, back to paint lol

Now if you still see it, nothing more ghetto than a wrapped lambo or ferrari lol

This is what comes to mind whenever I see a wrapped car

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4938414546_ac7c69e946.jpg

ercchry
07-11-2014, 08:44 AM
yeah, this basically looks like that remote...

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t51.2885-15/10513868_596029223845704_879363328_n.jpg

my paint was FUCKED and i wanted something half decent looking for streetwheelers this weekend, no way the car would be out of paint and no way im dropping the kind of coin on this old land yacht

J.M.
07-11-2014, 08:59 AM
^Looks awesome, love the two tone.