PDA

View Full Version : Demolition Derby at Chinook Centre Parking Lot

kenny
11-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Haha, pretty crazy to do it at Chinook. It probably would've been interesting to watch this unfold:

Police arrested a trio of teens early this morning after they allegedly held a "demolition derby" with three stolen cars.

Officers patrolling near Chinook Centre at about 6 a.m. spotted the cars - all of which were Dodge Neons - racing through the west side parking lot and smashing into each other.

When police closed in on the suspects, two ditched their cars and ran away while the third drove away at high speed - narrowly missing an officer running after the other two suspects.

Patrol officers, with the help of the K-9 unit, found the first two suspects within an hour.

"They did a very good job of getting a perimeter set up," duty inspector James Hardy said.

The third suspect abandoned his car nearby and was found later this morning.

Charges are pending against all three teens.

It's not yet known if the third suspect deliberately drove at police or was simply trying to flee.

"We're going to have to wait and see how the investigation unfolds," Hardy said.

The three cars, meanwhile, suffered "pretty considerable damage," added Hardy.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Police+arrest+teens+after+stolen+demolition+derby/3765955/story.html

copynpaste
11-02-2010, 03:23 PM
The three cars, meanwhile, suffered "pretty considerable damage," added Hardy.

Well no fuckin shit genius!

Anyways i would fuckin take all 3 of them and do demolitian derby on all 3, head first! Then we'll see if they think its fun and games.

xorina
11-02-2010, 03:25 PM
i saw one car on my way to work, white neon. Police where everywhere.

van
11-02-2010, 03:41 PM
LOL...too much video games for these teens

adam c
11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
amazing... no brain cells there

toastgremlin
11-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Neons must be like the world's easiest car to steal. Whenever it's something like this (driven into a house, demolition derby, high speed pursuit) it's almost always a ratbag frameless-windows Neon.

atgilchrist
11-02-2010, 04:23 PM
The gene pool continues to get thinner and thinner.

dirtsniffer
11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
haha im the only one who thinks this is hilarious? biggest mistake these guys made was doing it at chinook, cant even fart at the mall without getting hassled... lol

stefan15
11-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
haha im the only one who thinks this is hilarious? biggest mistake these guys made was doing it at chinook, cant even fart at the mall without getting hassled... lol Definitely hilarious. There's no way they thought they'd get away with it though.. right??

topmade
11-02-2010, 04:42 PM
haha im the only one who thinks this is hilarious? biggest mistake these guys made was doing it at chinook, cant even fart at the mall without getting hassled... lol
haha, I bet they had a freaking blast. Pretty dangerous though with those kinds of cars cause you can get decent speeds in a asphalt parking lot VS a dirt stadium and heavy ass cars.

codetrap
11-02-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by stefan15
Definitely hilarious. There's no way they thought they'd get away with it though.. right??

Originally posted by topmade

haha, I bet they had a freaking blast. Pretty dangerous though with those kinds of cars cause you can get decent speeds in a asphalt parking lot VS a dirt stadium and heavy ass cars.

Oh, this is really hilarious. Only problem now is that Cheryl only had PLPD on her neon. Now she's out the car and has no way other than transit (3 buses) to get to Sage to the dayhome, and then get to work. It's looking like she's probably going to lose her job over this. Anyone want to donate a car? She can't afford another one.

Hilarious.

:thumbsup:

roopi
11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
:repost:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/319987/demolition-derby-with-stolen-cars-at-chinook-parking-lot-early-tuesday-morning/

beyond_ban
11-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Oh, this is really hilarious. Only problem now is that Cheryl only had PLPD on her neon. Now she's out the car and has no way other than transit (3 buses) to get to Sage to the dayhome, and then get to work. It's looking like she's probably going to lose her job over this. Anyone want to donate a car? She can't afford another one.

Hilarious.

I've had a car stolen that was taken over a hill and through a chain link fence. Left me down $5000 and a 2 hour bus/ctrain/bus to work every morning and evening after work.

Hilarious is an understatement.

:facepalm:

Originally posted by roopi
:repost:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/319987/demolition-derby-with-stolen-cars-at-chinook-parking-lot-early-tuesday-morning/

The beacon doesn't really count as something real.

Xtrema
11-02-2010, 06:04 PM
So I guess it's pretty easy to find 3 Neons and steal them simultaneously?

TomcoPDR
11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Hope the parents have to pay for the damages, so they can beat their kids ass.

Redlyne_mr2
11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
These beyond meets sure have gone downhill.

Z_Fan
11-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I think we should congratulate them for getting three more fucking Neon's off the road.

Dodge Neons! Always an excellent choice for a smash-up-derby!

derpderp
11-03-2010, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Neons must be like the world's easiest car to steal. Whenever it's something like this (driven into a house, demolition derby, high speed pursuit) it's almost always a ratbag frameless-windows Neon.

I thought Honda Civics are suppose to be the one car that is stolen more then any other car in Canada? I've heard they are stupid easy to steal.

Shlade
11-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

Can I drive yours into a fence then?

Mibz
11-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
These beyond meets sure have gone downhill. A+, LOLed hard.

D'z Nutz
11-03-2010, 09:07 AM
I guess even stealing and smashing up Neons is pretty boring (see bold text) :rofl:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/11/03/15935296.html

Teens in stolen cars stage demo derby
By NADIA MOHARIB, QMI Agency

A Calgary police officer looks over damage to one of three stolen cars involved in a smash up derby. (Darren Makowichuk, QMI Agency)

CALGARY - Three teens were arrested after an early-morning demolition derby led to a cop nearly being run down by a stolen car whose driver was later found snoozing in an apparent hiding spot.

Police were called to the 6100 block of 5 St. S.W. near Chinook Centre about 6 a.m. after several Neons were seeing racing about in the area.

They pulled up to find two crashing into each other, Det. Travis Baker said.

One sped off while a teen jumped out of another one and fled on foot.

As an officer was chasing one suspect a third Neon arrived on the scene.

"A third Neon came around the corner and tried to run (the officer) down," Baker said.

"He clearly feared for his life and had to run up onto a boulevard."

Cops said the car was accelerating as it "swerved towards the officer," crossing over the centre line into the oncoming traffic lane to get perilously close to the police officer.

The first fleeing car was found broken down a short distance away and police soon picked up two teens hidden underneath a car in a nearby yard.

Police said the teen in the third Neon circled in the area for a short time, in an apparent bid to find his cohorts before high-centering the car on a boulevard and fleeing on foot.

A few hours later he was found in a nearby garage he is accused of breaking into.

"He had actually fallen asleep," Baker said.

Two of the youth are aged 15 while a third is 16.

Police said the cars had been stolen hours prior to the absurd events -- first a purple one in Strathmore which allegedly proved less than ideal given it was standard transmission -- a green one picked up in the downtown area and then two white ones swiped from roadside parking spots not far from where the incident unfolded.

One teen allegedly told investigators they were attracted to the particular model of compact cars because they are "easy to steal," police said.

No one was injured.

"As far as I know, none is authorized to be driving and clearly, they don't know how to drive --I'm just happy our guys are OK and none of the vehicles ran into other citizens," Baker said.

"It turned into quite a bit of a show."

The teens, who are known to police, are charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, hit and run for crashing into one another and one of them with assault with a weapon for the near-miss involving the police officer.

"I'd love to say these kids learned their lesson but they are frequent flyers of the system," he said.

"Hopefully this will be a turning point for them."

Feruk
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I totally don't get them being charged with a hit and run and assault with a weapon?! They didn't flee the scene (except car #3), so how is it a hit and run? The third guy didn't actually hit the cop with a car, so how is that assault with a weapon?

revelations
11-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by toastgremlin

Originally posted by codetrap

Hilarious.

I dont mean to sound like an ass, but its a hard lesson to learn if you own a car thats stupid easy to steal - without theft coverage - and without a simple anti-theft device like a club or something. In this case youre just living on borrowed time with the car.

Same goes for pre 2002 civic owners too.

As far as getting another car - you could look at getting a running car for ~500$ at the Calgary Parking Authority car auction.

FraserB
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
I totally don't get them being charged with a hit and run and assault with a weapon?! They didn't flee the scene (except car #3), so how is it a hit and run? The third guy didn't actually hit the cop with a car, so how is that assault with a weapon?

Hit and run for hitting the other cars involved probably and then assault with a weapon for using the car to put a police officer in a position where there is a reasonable possibility of harm.

I think trying to run the cop down should be upgraded to attempted murder myself.

Feruk
11-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Hit and run for hitting the other cars involved probably and then assault with a weapon for using the car to put a police officer in a position where there is a reasonable possibility of harm.

I think trying to run the cop down should be upgraded to attempted murder myself.

The second article posted says the hit and run is for driving into each other. Also, they don't know if the guy tried to hit the cop or if he was trying to flee and accidentally went in the cop's path. He didn't touch the cop = not assault.

FraserB
11-04-2010, 12:09 PM
You don't need to touch someone to be guilty of assault.

DayGlow
11-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

The second article posted says the hit and run is for driving into each other. Also, they don't know if the guy tried to hit the cop or if he was trying to flee and accidentally went in the cop's path. He didn't touch the cop = not assault.

If I pull a knife on someone, it's assault with a weapon regardless if I stab or attempt to stab them.

Assault with a Weapon or Causing Bodily Harm (C.C.C. section 267)

Assault with a weapon or causing bodily harm
267. Every one who, in committing an assault,

(a) carries, uses or threatens to use a weapon or an imitation thereof, or

(b) causes bodily harm to the complainant,

is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years or an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding eighteen months.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 267; 1994, c. 44, s. 17.

driving at the cop can be proven in court to use or threaten with a weapon, even if they don't make contact.

It will be up to the Crown to show beyond a reasonable doubt that the person attempted or threatened to hit the cop by driving at him.

Kennyredline
11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
I think we should congratulate them for getting three more fucking Neon's off the road.

:clap:

71/454
11-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by revelations

I dont mean to sound like an ass, but its a hard lesson to learn if you own a car thats stupid easy to steal - without theft coverage - and without a simple anti-theft device like a club or something. In this case youre just living on borrowed time with the car.

As far as getting another car - you could look at getting a running car for ~500$ at the Calgary Parking Authority car auction.

I think you're assuming too much here. Just because she drove a neon doesn't mean she's familiar with how commonly they are stolen. Not everyone is a car enthusiast.

revelations
11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 71/454

I think you're assuming too much here. Just because she drove a neon doesn't mean she's familiar with how commonly they are stolen. Not everyone is a car enthusiast.

If I owned ANY vehicle without theft coverage, I'd be sure to use SOMETHING to keep the opportunists from taking my vehicle :dunno:

g-m
11-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by revelations

+1

comprehensive ISN'T EXPENSIVE and its WAY cheaper than paying out of pocket WHEN something happens.

I even keep comprehensive on cars that I have parked that don't have PLPD. Hope shes learned that lesson.