PDA

View Full Version : Places to go for a broke student?

Zigo
11-02-2010, 05:05 PM
It's been one year I guess and I'm forced to take her somewhere nice.. Her bestfriend just had her one year; they went to Sky360... But he works full time and can afford that shit, me on the other hand, starve most days.

I wish I could just take her to burger king..
Looking to spend maybe around $60,

Greek
Italian
Pizza

Dumb hoe is as picky eater and does not like most other cultural foods.. sadly.

drtoohotty1
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
the weather is supposed to be awesome the next couple of days, pack some easy snacks and such for a pic nic take a blanket go to that hill that over looks downtown talk about romance and shit...WIN

max_boost
11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Ric's Grill
Buon Giorno's
Cactus Club

:drool:

Zigo
11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
^ Might have to check that out, always a nice idea.

Rics grill did not have any prices on the menu, online.

max_boost
11-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Jacqueline Suzanne's.

A790 is co-owner and he might be able to help you out a bit. Decor is antiqued but food is amazing. :thumbsup:

max_boost
11-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Zigo
^ Might have to check that out, always a nice idea.

Rics grill did not have any prices on the menu, online.

There's a set menu, appetizer, entree and dessert for either $28 or $35 depending on the entree you pick but otherwise a la carte is in that $15 to $25 range.

The place is nice/modern/ consistently good service and food every time. My servers have always been more experienced/older/mature.

Zigo
11-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Jacqueline Suzanne's.

A790 is co-owner and he might be able to help you out a bit. Decor is antiqued but food is amazing. :thumbsup:

I hope I can get the fruit cups for dinner. hahah. Looks nice but a bit to far from my price range.

Strider
11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Stalk this thread http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3533777#post3533777 and grab a voucher when a nicer restaurant comes up

Zigo
11-02-2010, 05:27 PM
^ Thinking I'll have to pay a little more and just go to that Ric's Gril

wintonyk
11-02-2010, 05:39 PM
The coup on 17th. Its a vegetarian restaurant. I take tons of dates there. 2 meals an app and a glass of wine each for around 60 bucks. Gratitude cafe is pretty good to.

No meat means little cost. Foods pretty damn good too.

I always order fireants on a log. Celery with almond butter and dried cranberries.

Modelexis
11-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Is she at least stunningly good looking or incredibly smart?

This thread makes me glad I'm not stuck in a relationship like that. I feel for you brother.

If it was me I would probably make a fancy dinner and eat at home. Leftovers = win.

tom_9109
11-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I think you can get a $100 Rics grille gift card for $75 @ Costco......

max_boost
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

This thread makes me glad I'm not stuck in a relationship like that. I feel for you brother.

If it was me I would probably make a fancy dinner and eat at home. Leftovers = win.

They only get more expensive over time. :rofl:

Disoblige
11-02-2010, 06:24 PM

:rofl:

How about Mercato?

calgarydub
11-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

What do you mean by this? The guy has 20$ to his name and after one year this girl is still with him, I'd say he's lucky this is ALL she asks for, god forbid on their 1 year anniversary.

adidas
11-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Drive to McDicks or the like, and proceed to get out of the car. If she is hesitant or objects, than its perfectly fine to leave her right there in the parking lot and go home alone.

Weapon_R
11-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Wait for something from dealfind or groupon :D

bleu
11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Wait for something from dealfind or groupon :D

Great advice! There was a good deal for Hotel St. Germain, maybe its still available?

Keep checking up on those sites. Or as Max_Boost suggested - trying looking at the prix fixe offerings at restaurants. Making dinner is always well received by women - it shows thoughtfulness and provides a much more personalized, intimate setting. You could get take out dessert (or even go there afterwards) from Nectar!

Congrats on 1 year. :)

know1edge
11-02-2010, 08:22 PM
It's been one year I guess and I'm forced to take her somewhere nice.. Her bestfriend just had her one year; they went to Sky360... But he works full time and can afford that shit, me on the other hand, starve most days.

Greek
Italian
Pizza

Una

TomcoPDR
11-02-2010, 09:11 PM
See if Peking Peking will do private dining after hours.

Awd-Tsi
11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
The keg or somewhere like that

msommers
11-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Could do La Brezza or La Dolce Vita (Italian) for 60 bucks easily.

Mitsu3000gt
11-02-2010, 10:36 PM
I suggest cooking for your "dumb hoe". You can probably do it for under $60 and the effort will be noticed.

I would also recommend Buon Giorno if she likes Italian. The two of you can eat with appetizers and a couple drinks for $60 or less and the food is amazing.

Modelexis
11-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by calgarydub
What do you mean by this? The guy has 20$ to his name and after one year this girl is still with him, I'd say he's lucky this is ALL she asks for, god forbid on their 1 year anniversary.

You're assuming she started dating him a year ago when he was a millionaire and magically lost his fortune.

Obviously she should be aware and sympathetic to his situation and should be supportive rather than demanding.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say she knew him well enough a year ago to know he wasn't going to fly her to vegas for their one year.

psycoticclown
11-02-2010, 11:39 PM
There's a deal on Deal find for the Raw Bar. $25 for a $50 voucher, 2 of those and you should be set. Nice place and pretty damn good food too.

Type_S1
11-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Just cook for her. Grab some pasta....a nice meat or alfredo sauce and grilled chicken. You can't screw that up and it is a lot less then $60. Get a candle and put on a nice table cloth and she will be happier then going to a half decent place for dinner.

You could also do a stir fry...that's almost impossible to screw up.

She will notice the effort for this and you save money on gas as well ;)

Guillermo
11-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
There's a deal on Deal find for the Raw Bar. $25 for a $50 voucher, 2 of those and you should be set. Nice place and pretty damn good food too.

i'm pretty sure you can only use one at a time. it would still be a good deal if you just used one, though.

gqmw
11-03-2010, 01:31 AM

She's missing out on all the real good food...

Or maybe she'll see this thread, won't like that you called her a dumb hoe...and then you can save your money!

Zigo
11-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, ahah.. No my girl is great. Cute and does everything I could ask for. We are both broke students, I work part time and just wanted to treat her to something nice.

Only bad thing is that she only likes boring food.

Dave P
11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Cook something yourself?

spike98
11-03-2010, 10:56 AM

I wouldn't worry about taking her anywhere fancier than McDonalds. Refering to her as a dumb hoe is going to end up getting you single very soon.

If you actually give a shit, skip a night out with the boys and spend some fucking money on your girl. Christ it can't be more than $50 at chili's for a dinner for two, and if she likes boring food well....

msommers
11-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by spike98
If you actually give a shit, skip a night out with the boys and spend some fucking money on your girl.

Wait, I thought it was always bro's before hoes! :rofl:

spike98
11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Wait, I thought it was always bro's before hoes! :rofl:

Of course it is, I look at situations like this as an investment. Spoiling her on your anniversay will turn a ROI of pussy and hassle free nights out in the future. :poosie:

copynpaste
11-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Cant go wrong with a&w drive-thru. My buddy did this couple weeks ago and even pulled out the 2 for 1 coupons.

CMW403
11-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Jacqueline Suzanne's.

Best suggestion yet.

I took my girlfriend there for our one year. She nearly dropped her pants the second I started the car to take her home. She LOVED the decor and the food was fucking premium, haven't had a better steak.

Pm cam and mention this to him, he helped me out I'm sure he'll help another fellow beyonder. He even threw in an anniversary desert.

Crymson
11-03-2010, 12:54 PM
There was a Groupon coupon for RAW BAR yesterday. If you can still get that, it would be a good deal.

Euro838
11-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Dude, don't ruin it for yourself! She is obviously content with your current style so keep it cheap! The fanciest place you should be going is Swiss Chalet or Boston Pizza!

Speaking from experience (and I'm sure others will agree), once you start with one nice place, she'll start expecting this once you get a better job and stuff!

Gotta keep it real! :poosie:

bubbley
11-03-2010, 01:25 PM
lol @ whipping out a coupon for your gf's bday..i dunno this jus makes me lol

JRSC00LUDE
11-03-2010, 01:59 PM
lol @ calling your gf a dumb hoe, dumbass. :nut:

Idratherbsidewayz
11-03-2010, 02:24 PM
So you want to take your dumb hoe somewhere nice but don't want to spend any money? Kind of defeats the point as the only reason you take a hoe to an expensive restaurant is to flaunt money around so she gives it 110% in the sack and rims your asshole...

Just cook her a nice dinner at home, buy some good wine, like somebody else said, get a great dessert from somewhere she likes. Light a few candles, set the table fancy. It'll cost you less than $60 and she'll appreciate it waay more than a half-ass ok restaurant effort.

89coupe
11-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Greek
Italian
Pizza

$60 can buy a lot of groceries that would make one hell of a nice meal.

Guillermo
11-03-2010, 03:48 PM
if you're looking to spend around $60, I would take her to Rea's or Il Centro for italian or pizza, or Matador's for pizza. They are all very casual, and Rea's and Il Centro have pretty terrible service, but the food is excellent at all three places.

Still, it's gonna be hard (if not impossible) to keep it under $60, unless you guys don't order alcohol.

jazzyb
11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
said not to burgerking, try mcdonalds?

otherwise check out calgary deals website he's in the general section sometimes you can buy cheap giftcards.

Euro838
11-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Or you can create a groupon or dealfind account and spam your links out for people to use and you will get paid just like the calgary deals website! Then you can use that money to take your gal out to a really nice place and it will cost you nothing!

Mazstyle
11-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Open Sesame FTW great decor and great prices.

know1edge
11-03-2010, 09:34 PM
dude just go to Una pizza already

89coupe
11-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Two 8 ounce prime grade organic filet cuts. $20
Montreal Steak spice $3

Romaine Lettuce $2
Eggs $2
Lemon .50c
Tobasco $2
Worcestershire $2
Olive Oil $4
Wine Vinegar $3
Garlic $1

Two large potatoes $1
Bacon $2
Sour Cream $1
Butter $1

$15.50 bottle of wine.

Total $60

Filet Mignon
Ceasar Salad
Baked Potatoes
& a bottle of wine.

max_boost
11-04-2010, 04:23 PM
^^

Too much work.

89coupe
11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
^^

Too much work.

Are you kidding me?

Steaks take exactly 12 minutes.
Ceasar salad takes about half that.
& the bake potatoes can be done in about 15min.

msommers
11-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Montreal Steak spice $3

Romaine Lettuce $2
Eggs $2
Lemon .50c
Tobasco $2
Worcestershire $2
Olive Oil $4
Wine Vinegar $3
Garlic $1

Two large potatoes $1
Bacon $2
Sour Cream $1
Butter $1

$15.50 bottle of wine.

Total $60

Filet Mignon
Ceasar Salad
Baked Potatoes
& a bottle of wine.

Sounds pretty good to me.

89s1
11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Montreal Steak spice $3

Romaine Lettuce $2
Eggs $2
Lemon .50c
Tobasco $2
Worcestershire $2
Olive Oil $4
Wine Vinegar $3
Garlic $1

Two large potatoes $1
Bacon $2
Sour Cream $1
Butter $1

$15.50 bottle of wine.

Total $60

Filet Mignon
Ceasar Salad
Baked Potatoes
& a bottle of wine.

Where do you get bacon for $2?

Butter and sour cream for a buck? I need to shop where you do.... :nut:

94_S14
11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
go to the den on fridays, buy one get one for a dollar. Wooot!

bourge73
11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
How about Mother Tuckers ? Say its your Bday or hers and Blamo!! 241 Sucka! and you even get free deserts!!!

Guillermo
11-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Montreal Steak spice $3

Romaine Lettuce $2
Eggs $2
Lemon .50c
Tobasco $2
Worcestershire $2
Olive Oil $4
Wine Vinegar $3
Garlic $1

Two large potatoes $1
Bacon $2
Sour Cream $1
Butter $1

$15.50 bottle of wine.

Total $60

Filet Mignon
Ceasar Salad
Baked Potatoes
& a bottle of wine.

prices are WAY OFF, dude. sour cream for $1? bacon for $2? you're kidding me.

CUG
11-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Throw some cheap big mac patties in a blender with an egg, throw it in the oven and make meat loaf.

[Yu]
11-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by calgarydub

Women, wait people, should never ask for anything in situations like this, PERIOD.

That just makes them sound like a pompous fuck.

I agree with the dinner thing. If you can pull that stuff off good, it should be better than some dinner out.

4bier
11-04-2010, 09:44 PM
since shes a dumb hoe !!! just break up with her and get back with her in 2 weeks, if she takes you back then you were right
but think of all the money you ll save

wintonyk
11-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Are you kidding me?

How do you like your steaks? Mine take less than 7 min. Down to a science for a perfect med rare.

Micro the potato for 5 min then wrap and bbq for 2. Timing works out the same as steak.

And for anyone that calls for two much work. A girlfriend is way more work than cooking a meal. Suck it up. You would spend more time in car to and from restaurant than you would prep.

know1edge
11-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Are you kidding me?

15 mins baked potatoes? 7 min baked potatoes?
I'd love to see how these are.

Guillermo
11-04-2010, 11:31 PM
haha, i think it's clear that 89coupe has never cooked or grocery shopped in his entire life. :rofl: I've read about his typical weekday lunches, but am now starting to think that he actually subsists on pizza pops in his parents' basement. hhehe. :rofl:

89coupe
11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

How do you like your steaks? Mine take less than 7 min. Down to a science for a perfect med rare.

Micro the potato for 5 min then wrap and bbq for 2. Timing works out the same as steak.

And for anyone that calls for two much work. A girlfriend is way more work than cooking a meal. Suck it up. You would spend more time in car to and from restaurant than you would prep.

A nice filet is almost 2" thick, you sear at high heat for 1 min a side & then on low heat for 5 min a side for a perfect med rare steak.

As for the baked potatoes, I'm assuming the kid doesn't want to put much effort into this, so 15 min in the microwave will do the job. I can assure you it will taste just fine with some butter & salt alone.

You can buy single sticks of butter. You can buy bacon from a butcher shop by weight.

You can buy sour cream at a deli buy weight.

TheCheff
11-04-2010, 11:40 PM
^Or hes proportioning it for amount used of everyday items you would have in your fridge.....

Guillermo
11-04-2010, 11:50 PM

As for the baked potatoes, I'm assuming the kid doesn't want to put much effort into this, so 15 min in the microwave will do the job. I can assure you it will taste just fine with some butter & salt alone.

if you're gonna nuke the potatoes to "bake" them, you might as well just say "screw it" and make pizza pops instead. :rofl:

Zigo
11-05-2010, 12:00 AM
I apologize for trying to be funny by calling my Gf a dumb hoe..(Shes not) Bad taste.

I'm 19 so I don't really have plans on marrying the first girl I see so, don't plan on dumping loads of money at her, also the more all out I go, the more she will expect in the future.

The cooking thing would be nice.. But I live with my parents.. I'd have to cook for 3 others too.

Probably should of mentioned that.

diamondedge
11-05-2010, 12:37 AM
I apologize for trying to be funny by calling my Gf a dumb hoe..(Shes not) Bad taste.

I'm 19 so I don't really have plans on marrying the first girl I see so, don't plan on dumping loads of money at her, also the more all out I go, the more she will expect in the future.

The cooking thing would be nice.. But I live with my parents.. I'd have to cook for 3 others too.

Probably should of mentioned that.

Romantic picnic tomorrow afternoon before it gets too cold. Weather says high of 20 for Friday afternoon.

Pre-do all the food before hand. Parents ask questions? Say you're hungry as fsck. Job done.

Ashkente
11-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by bleu

...You could get take out dessert (or even go there afterwards) from Nectar!

Sadly, Nectar has closed. :(

msommers
11-05-2010, 07:36 AM

3.5 - 4 minutes a side on high, put on plate, cover with tinfoil for 5 minutes to rest and you're good to go.

interlude
11-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Do you have to take her somewhere? Make something nice at home.. make it all ROMANITICAL! Chicks fall for that shit all the time.

max_boost
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
OP.

Did you take her out yet? Did you go to Ric's Grill? haha

max_boost
11-05-2010, 12:39 PM

LOL

I can't cook and don't want to be bothered with it. Of course she's way more than cooking a meal, also costs a few hand bags, vacations and much much more over time. LOL

89coupe
11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
You guys must have some real dead beat woman...lol.

My woman cooks for me, does my laundry, & brings home a six figure income...haha.

Euro838
11-05-2010, 01:56 PM

My woman cooks for me, does my laundry, & brings home a six figure income...haha.

Dang, wish I was white and had another 6" in all directions! :poosie:

max_boost
11-05-2010, 02:05 PM

Very nice. She got any sisters? cousins? friends on her level? hahaha

interlude
11-05-2010, 02:14 PM

LOL

I can't cook and don't want to be bothered with it. Of course she's way more than cooking a meal, also costs a few hand bags, vacations and much much more over time. LOL

So let me get this straight.. you have to buy her expensive hand bags.. take her on vacations and much much more...

ahh.. what men (you) would do to get some poontang. :) jk

I'm glad my fiance doesnt like materialistic shit.. She just wants me to buy her shit she needs . She didnt want a big ring, got mad for me for spending 9k on it. Definately found myself a keeper.

Oh by the way, she was in one of your classes at SAIT lol

mine does most of it.. some would call us lazy.. i would call us lucky! hahah

max_boost
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes, I remember your wife. :love:

BTW, I'm just joking around about everything lol :D

interlude
11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Yes, I remember your wife. :love:

BTW, I'm just joking around about everything lol :D

hahah i know. I just wanted to bug ya haha

Zigo
11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Nope.. Well I should be getting ready to go soon... But I dont know where. hahah... Just been busy with school never even got a chance to look shit up. Looking right now then heading out.

I swear though. I would love to try Raw bar or something, but she wont eat anything, I'll think of something.

interlude
11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Take her to Embarcadero's for some oysters. Really good food there

Tomaz
11-05-2010, 04:02 PM
OP, you live at home. Make mom cook!:rofl:

Zigo
11-05-2010, 04:08 PM
^ MOOOOOOOMMMM SET SOME CANDLES UP, I NEED TO DROP PANTIES TONIGHT.

but I'm thinking it should be rics grill.

know1edge
11-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by TheCheff
^Or hes proportioning it for amount used of everyday items you would have in your fridge.....

well yeah but,

Montreal steak spice $3
Olive Oil $4
Wine Vinegar $3

seems like a tad too much for steak, potatoes, and salad

Guillermo
11-05-2010, 07:22 PM
^^either that, or he plans to drink the olive oil.

max_boost
11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Bump. What did you do OP? Did the Beyond advice result in you getting some ass on the anniversary or did you get your ass handed to you lol

Guillermo
11-06-2010, 08:07 PM
please don't tell us you ignored all of our awesome recommendations and just ended up going to East Side Mario's, like the last time we had a thread like this.