PDA

View Full Version : Bought a cheap beater, where to get it inspected and will it pass?

nobb
11-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I bought a cheap $300 beater truck to learn how to drive stick and to play around with for the winter. I need to get it inspected by a certified mechanic for insurance. The truck is a 1994 Ford Ranger with 470,000kms but it appears to run just fine. The only issues that might be of issue are:

The headlights are really foggy
One of the turn signals has the plastic covering smashed
The windshield has a pretty big crack from one end to the other, but it doesnt cover the main visible area of the windshield.

Are there other things I should be looking out for? The body and frame appears to be in good condition. Tires have about 90% tread.

Also if anyone has recommendations for a place to go for inspection (as cheap as possible) that would be great too.

master hec0
11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't think the foggy headlights should be an issue. the signal light needs to be replaced just head down to the junkyard and grab one. and the windshield is really up to the discretion of the insurance provider since my windshield is cracked to hell but I was still able to insure it.

there is a guy on craigslist/kijiji that does mobile safety inspections at 40$ and the inspection is free if your vehicle does not pass.

slinkie
11-02-2010, 09:37 PM
i just got a beater insurance inspection at ansel motors on edmonton trail and 1st ave .

cost $60, booked same day (was in there half an hour after i called), the guy basically glanced at it and asked for $60. It had a cracked windshield etc and they didn't care :dunno:

Cos
11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
^^ go there while they still have their license OP.

chathamf
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Is it out of province? If it was last registered in Alberta, insure it at State Farm as they don't require an inspection.

:thumbsup:

nobb
11-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Pretty sure most insurance companies require you to inspect if the vehicle is >12 years old.

Kloubek
11-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Do a search on Kijiji for "insurance inspection". There is a guy who comes to you, and does it for $40. He even guarantees it will pass.

slinkie
11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Do a search on Kijiji for "insurance inspection". There is a guy who comes to you, and does it for $40. He even guarantees it will pass.

:rofl: i will do this next time i need one, lol at last sentence

nobb
11-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Nice, thanks.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-auto-insurance-financing-BEST-PRICE-BEST-SERVICE-40-Mobile-Inspections-W0QQAdIdZ239803582

chathamf
11-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by nobb
Pretty sure most insurance companies require you to inspect if the vehicle is >12 years old.

No actually I've been with State Farm since about 05. Have insured two cars from 94 and a 97 just last spring and never was an inspection needed.

thepyrofish
11-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by chathamf

No actually I've been with State Farm since about 05. Have insured two cars from 94 and a 97 just last spring and never was an inspection needed.

Same deal in Lethbridge. I have 2 '93s currently insured there and they never asked for one. Back when I had my old-ass new yorker my agent actually told me he's never seen a claim due to mechanical failure, so they don't bother.

Ironically enough, that car had a caliper seize and I almost got into a pretty nasty accident :rofl:

bourge73
11-03-2010, 07:51 AM
No inspections for RBC Insurance. (No Collision tho)

Zero102
05-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Anybody have contact information for this kijiji guy? I need my auto-x toy inspected within the next few days and the windshield has a small crack on the passenger side so I am worried any major shops will fail it.

Tik-Tok
05-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by thepyrofish

Back when I had my old-ass new yorker my agent actually told me he's never seen a claim due to mechanical failure, so they don't bother.

Even if it passed one day, doesn't mean something won't go wrong within a month, so not much point. However, I believe it's still a good idea, so that all the complete auto-morons out there don't think that the $200 car they're buying is a sweet deal with nothing wrong with it, and treat it as such. I've rarely seen a used car older than 12 years that didn't need brake pads at a minimum.

J-hop
05-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Even if it passed one day, doesn't mean something won't go wrong within a month, so not much point. However, I believe it's still a good idea, so that all the complete auto-morons out there don't think that the $200 car they're buying is a sweet deal with nothing wrong with it, and treat it as such. I've rarely seen a used car older than 12 years that didn't need brake pads at a minimum.

I agree with this, it is nice to have a second look at a car you purchase. I for one don't view a safety as just something you have to do just because but rather that it is something for your own personal safety.

Plus if everyone had their vehicle inspected before buying, it would save a lot of wasted bandwidth on beyond from "zomg, took my new ride for an oil change and they say there is major frame damage, gonna kill the seller" threads

Zero102
05-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I bumped this thread hoping somebody had contact info for the inspection guy.... the rest of this thread is pretty old

IRL
05-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by nobb
Nice, thanks.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-auto-insurance-financing-BEST-PRICE-BEST-SERVICE-40-Mobile-Inspections-W0QQAdIdZ239803582

Did you click this link????? His ad appears 1/4 way down the page.

Kloubek
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
I bumped this thread hoping somebody had contact info for the inspection guy.... the rest of this thread is pretty old

Did you not read my PM response?

Zero102
05-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by IRL

Did you click this link????? His ad appears 1/4 way down the page.

The link is dead, so kijiji shows search results instead. For all I know there is a new guy who is totally different and also does $40 mobile inspections. I never saw the original ad so how would I know if it is the same guy?
It would have helped to have a name or something for the guy to confirm if it is the same one.

Did you not read my PM response?

Yes I did and I will be calling the guy when I have a chance. I was just saying that because everybody was responding to posts over 6 months old like the discussion was still current.

Vr4Whore
05-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Do a search on Kijiji for "insurance inspection". There is a guy who comes to you, and does it for $40. He even guarantees it will pass. LOL, seriously?