PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver police get off beating innocent man

gatorade
11-03-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vancouver+cops+cleared+after+mistaken+arrest+left+badly+injured+Lawyer/3771969/story.html

Thoughts?

bspot
11-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Get off as in skeet skeet skeet?

gatorade
11-03-2010, 03:18 PM
They pretty much beat the crap out of him and then the police investigation said they did nothing wrong.

Xtrema
11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Get off as in skeet skeet skeet?

:rofl: 1st thing came thru my mind as well.... that's some serious fetish there.

bspot
11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I remember hearing about this when it happened. Brutal that it took this long and that they got off.

Especially being plain clothes police officers busting in on a guy that doesn't speak english, if he resisted I don't blame him at all. If I was home and two dudes in plaid shirts busted my door in and started yelling at me, I'd probably fight back.

NuclearPizzaMan
11-03-2010, 03:32 PM
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/883799--officer-breaks-little-accountant-s-arm-but-no-charges-laid?bn=1

This is just business as usual. Cops are vicious sociopaths. The ones that claim otherwise are just as guilty for covering for the supposed 'bad apples'.

I'm all for law and order, but assaulting an innocent person (or really, any other major crime) committed under the colour of authority should be dealt with in the harshest possible way.

At the very least, these 2 clowns should lose their jobs, but I wouldn't shed any tears if the government set up a firing squad for them.

gatorade
11-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Some people are blaming it on him because he doesn't speak english, if two random clothes guys bust into your house would you politely say "hi who are you, what you are doing", or would you say "who the fuck are you, and what are you dong here and get the fuck out" and possibly try to fight back.

The police even said he "resisted arrest" then later said he didn't, how can anyone blame someone for "resisted arrest" on two random men who start beating the shit out of you...

clem24
11-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/883799--officer-breaks-little-accountant-s-arm-but-no-charges-laid?bn=1

Yeah this one... The problem with this one is that the civilian resisted arrest, and was uncooperative and combative. True the police should not have done what they did, but in this case, I think both parties acted inappropriately.

calgary403
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
I like this Paragraph in the article;

"A Star investigation of two decades of cases probed by the SIU found that police officers are treated far differently than civilians when accused of shooting, beating, running over and killing people."

The rule of law is that NOBODY is above the law. So if it is not applied evenly it is corrupt and useless. The whole system becomes useless.

spike98
11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Lessons learned:

1. When living a country that is not of your origin, try and speak the language that is employed by the natives of that country. At least the basics.

2. Dont resist police, you will end up getting beat up.

atgilchrist
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM

This is just business as usual. Cops are vicious sociopaths. The ones that claim otherwise are just as guilty for covering for the supposed 'bad apples'.
At the very least, these 2 clowns should lose their jobs, but I wouldn't shed any tears if the government set up a firing squad for them.

Wow. You don't jump to extremes at all.

calgary403
11-03-2010, 04:40 PM

I wouldn't take it that far. But the rest of the officers in this department are criminals also imho. Working with an officer you know is guilty of a crime and doing nothing means you do not deserve to wear that badge.

max_boost
11-03-2010, 04:44 PM
It really makes you wonder what the hell is going on with law enforcement. These cases are just absolutely ridiculous.

Scuderia
11-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Lessons learned:

1. When living a country that is not of your origin, try and speak the language that is employed by the natives of that country. At least the basics.

So with those two points you're implying the guy was completely at fault?:confused:

adidas
11-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by calgary403

I wouldn't take it that far. But the rest of the officers in this department are criminals also imho. Working with an officer you know is guilty of a crime and doing nothing means you do not deserve to wear that badge.

If you think all officers are angels, than you got some serious problems.

This story reminds of the time when my next door neighbor knocked on my door and asked me to call 911 as she was getting abused next door. When the officers arrived(2) they stormed into my house like we were the ones fighting.

spike98
11-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia

So with those two points you're implying the guy was completely at fault?:confused:

Yes,

Point one is just a courtesy but would have aided in rectifying the situation.

Point two needs no explanation.

Had these been uniformed officers and had tools like tazers and pepper spray to aid in the resisting person, perhaps he wouldn't have gotten a shit kicking.

Ive been fucked by the long dick of the law, so my opinion isn't bias. I got roughed up because i resisted. I deserved it. So did this guy.

calgary403
11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by adidas

If you think all officers are angels, than you got some serious problems.

I never said that. I just said that not ALL of them are vicious psychopaths. But I would definitely say the apparent amount of corruption in some forces is FAR too much to be tolerated.

broken_legs
11-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Ward said the investigation report shows that while his client was interviewed by police for more than an hour and a half the day after the beating, and for another hour and a half at a later date, Delta police didn't get around to interviewing the two officers involved until May 12, nearly four months later.

According to Ward, the interviews with Florkow and London — held in the presence of the Vancouver Police Union president — lasted just 51 and 37 minutes respectively

Tik-Tok
11-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Had these been uniformed officers and had tools like tazers and pepper spray to aid in the resisting person, perhaps he wouldn't have gotten a shit kicking.

Did you read the story? Especially the part that says he did nothing illegal, and the police had the wrong address, because it was the people living in the basement suite, with their own entrance, that called them?

Why should he comply to arrest, when he didn't require arresting?

ZenOps
11-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Lessons learned:

Chinese is the local language in Vancouver. *Ding*

On the other side of the coin: Its rare for a person to get beat up in Hong Kong who speaks one of the dozens of Euro dialects of latin (including english) though.

There was that one model that got killed by a mugger though, but thats not really police.

On the other hand, I'd like to invite Rob Anders to France - and then prank call to the local police that there is this psycho english guy who is ranting that French people are terrorists, look like hamsters and have cheese breath.

If Rob were a politician in France, he would have a lit protest flare shoved up his ass by now.

Or send Chancellor Merkel to Greece. Euro to Euro language hate is strong, maybe even more than Euro to other nation.

Hongcouver is a nice place normally though.

"Vancouver, or as we call it down here, Hongcouver, they can fight for those jobs, but may the best province win." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Scuderia
11-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Yes,

Point one is just a courtesy but would have aided in rectifying the situation.

Point two needs no explanation.

Ive been fucked by the long dick of the law, so my opinion isn't bias. I got roughed up because i resisted. I deserved it. So did this guy.

Lmao talk about a troll... Just because you would sit still and obey directions when two PLAIN CLOTHED men bust into your house yelling and physically confronting you, doesn't mean a man with a dick would do the same. Did you even read the story? The guy did nothing wrong, they had the wrong suspect. The guy didn't know English. He didn't know what the fuck was going on, and I bet he didn't even resist violently, he just acted like any regular person in that state of shock. Yeah you deserved it, but this guy didn't.

spike98
11-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Did you read the story? Especially the part that says he did nothing illegal, and the police had the wrong address, because it was the people living in the basement suite, with their own entrance, that called them?

Why should he comply to arrest, when he didn't require arresting?

It doesn't matter if he did nothing wrong. If he would have complied to demands it would have been sorted out sans ass kicking.

Lmao talk about a troll... Just because you would sit still and obey directions when two PLAIN CLOTHED men bust into your house yelling and physically confronting you, doesn't mean a man with a dick would do the same. Did you even read the story? The guy did nothing wrong, they had the wrong suspect. The guy didn't know English. He didn't know what the fuck was going on, and I bet he didn't even resist violently, he just acted like any regular person in that state of shock. Yeah you deserved it, but this guy didn't.

Im not a troll. Lets also try to form an argument without the personal attacks. If you dissagree then portray yourself as an adult. It will only give your argument more merit.

I know they were plain clothed. I read the story. Does it mention in the artical that they didn't identify themselves as officers? Or that they didn't show a badge of any type? I dont think it did.

Time and time again, incidents like this have shown if you resist, bad things happen. Regardless of if you actually commited an offence. It sucks that this poor man got roughed up given that he was innocent. Its common practice for law enforcement to cuff everyone then sort it out when its a situation of violence. They do this to protect themselves and others. If he would have complied with demands there would have been no need for violence and the situation would have rectified itself. At worst case, he would have been arrested then released for mistaken identity.

For the rest of the personal attacks and comments ill just pass over them.

Tik-Tok
11-04-2010, 09:10 AM

It doesn't matter if he did nothing wrong. If he would have complied to demands it would have been sorted out sans ass kicking.

Ok, so even if he spoke english. Lets put you in the situation. Two guys in normal everyday clothes pound on your door, you open up, and they rush you, flashing badges that could be anything, and yelling at you to let them in.

You comply?

revelations
11-04-2010, 09:12 AM
The individual was involved in a case of "wrongful arrest". I have seen people successfully sue a police force for this.

Kloubek
He'll get a settlement via the courts. Which I suspect will be retribution enough for him.

Even if he resisted, he did nothing wrong and I would have too. They had no right to beat him - even if their information was incomplete or incorrect. They may have FELT at the time they had a right, but at the end of the day, they did not.

Someone has to pay for this, and it is NOT the guy who was defending his home being unlawfully entered and his person from being assaulted. It may not even have been the fault of the cops at the door directly, but it WAS the police's fault overall, and they should be made to pay for that in some manner.

spike98

Ok, so even if he spoke english. Lets put you in the situation. Two guys in normal everyday clothes pound on your door, you open up, and they rush you, flashing badges that could be anything, and yelling at you to let them in.

You comply?

Yup :thumbsup:

I would rather get robbed by two guys impersonating police than shot by real ones. Both extreme ends of the spectrum but both plausible situations.

JimmyBurner
11-04-2010, 09:38 AM

I would rather get robbed by two guys impersonating police than shot by real ones. Both extreme ends of the spectrum but both plausible situations.

Guy was right, cops were wrong.

Scuderia
11-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Have you read about how many home invasions happen with people pretending to be police? I'm not sure if anyone has died yet, but yeah... the guy was right. I would've done the EXACT same thing, even though I speak English. I don't give a fuck what they showed me, it proves nothing to me. If I can't differentiate between two asshole cops and two robbers, why would I back down to either? The situations you presented are not plausible, nor sensible. I don't know what the cops have done to you to make you so scared of them, but NO cop should EVER have to fire shots on a suspect who is unarmed, even if they are resisting arrest. That's what tazers and batons are for. The guy is sitting at home, 100% innocently. Two plain clothed men grown ass men bust into his house, screaming shit he can't UNDERSTAND, and beating the fuck out of him. Yeah, I think I'd resist too.

Tik-Tok
11-04-2010, 10:07 AM

It's easy to say that if you KNOW that all that's going to happen is being robbed, if they aren't real police. How about raping your wife? Murdering her? Your kids? Beating the shit out of you anyways after, even though you complied?

I sincerely hope for your future wife and childrens sake, that you are never in that situation then.

Personally, I'd rather take my chances at the door and defend myself and family, consequently get the shit kicked out of me by plains clothed police, then have any of the above happen.

spike98
11-04-2010, 10:17 AM

It's easy to say that if you KNOW that all that's going to happen is being robbed, if they aren't real police. How about raping your wife? Murdering her? Your kids? Beating the shit out of you anyways after, even though you complied?

I sincerely hope for your future wife and childrens sake, that you are never in that situation then.

Personally, I'd rather take my chances at the door and defend myself and family, consequently get the shit kicked out of me by plains clothed police, then have any of the above happen.

I suppose that my tune would be different if it was just more than me. If i had a wife and kids i would do the same as you i imagine.

That being said, IF i was to fight the police in your scenario, i would still deserve an ass kicking for fighting the police.

Im not arguing that the man didn't have merit for fighting them but that the result of the resistance was merited. Thats it.

calgary403
11-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
He'll get a settlement via the courts. Which I suspect will be retribution enough for him.

Even if he resisted, he did nothing wrong and I would have too. They had no right to beat him - even if their information was incomplete or incorrect. They may have FELT at the time they had a right, but at the end of the day, they did not.

Someone has to pay for this, and it is NOT the guy who was defending his home being unlawfully entered and his person from being assaulted. It may not even have been the fault of the cops at the door directly, but it WAS the police's fault overall, and they should be made to pay for that in some manner.

Suppose he does win a settlement via the court system. Do the police get to pay him with money they received via taxes? If so how would this be any real loss to them at all?

Scuderia
11-04-2010, 10:58 AM

Suppose he does win a settlement via the court system. Do the police get to pay him with money they received via taxes? If so how would this be any real loss to them at all?

They'll have to start getting mediums instead of larges at Tims:dunno:
They'll make back what they lost during a couple of heavy ticket days.

Spike98, like the other guy said, I sure hope you're never in that situation. I still disagree 100%, and believe the guy didn't deserve ANYTHING.

Kloubek
11-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Good point!

And for those suggesting this guy deserved this - you're out to lunch. I agree that if you move to a country you should learn the language. But just because he did not, it is not open season to start beating on him. Besides - there are no guarantees if he knew english and denied it was him that the outcome would have been any different.

JustGo
11-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I think what's being drastically overlooked is the reason the police were there to begin with.

The end result is certainly terrible, but you can't simply judge an entire event by the end result.

At the time, they thought they were going into a house with a violent man, threatening the lives of his family.

Had it been the proper house, and the man shut the door in the police's face, and they looked at each other and said 'Well, what do we do now? I guess he shut the door, let's go for lunch...' would that be more acceptable to you all?

What they did, given the information they had, was the right thing. Unfortunately, the information they were given had some serious holes in it, and the wrong guy ended up getting demolished. As the article says, they were acting in good faith. For that, you certainly can't blame them. They honestly thought they had the right guy.

Anyone who says those two cops should be fired, or that they are power tripping... well, you just hate police to begin with and want an excuse to bash them without even trying to see it from the other side. This was NOT their fault, nor was it the victims fault. Both sides were justified in their actions, but the language barrier certainly didn't help.

Kloubek
11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
^^ While that is indeed true, you have to admit that it is still the Police's fault. Maybe not the cops specificially responding to the call, but if they were supplied with the correct information, this would not have happened to the wrong guy.

Any way you look at it, they are still responsible.

JustGo
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
^^ While that is indeed true, you have to admit that it is still the Police's fault. Maybe not the cops specificially responding to the call, but if they were supplied with the correct information, this would not have happened to the wrong guy.

Any way you look at it, they are still responsible.
Well, that depends... if the communications section is a separate entity in Vancouver, as it is in Calgary, then it's not the fault of the 'police', it's the fault of the communications section that receives, and dispatches the call. That is if the original caller, ie. the complainant, gave the correct information to the communications section. If she just gave an address, but did not specify upstairs or downstairs, then it's not even communications' fault.

Unfortunately, in these situations, time is of the essence, and the police cannot afford to just hang out for 10 minutes and wait for 100% of the information to come in.

I think the blame being placed squarely on the police service is quite premature, considering all the variables that go into a situation like that. The entire event probably lasted 20 minutes, from the time communications received the call, until the time the victim was in handcuffs. It's easy to sit back now, after 8, 9, 10 months and completely break down the entire thing. But they had just 20 minutes, and that's being fairly generous.

SOAB
11-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by JustGo
I think what's being drastically overlooked is the reason the police were there to begin with.

The end result is certainly terrible, but you can't simply judge an entire event by the end result.

At the time, they thought they were going into a house with a violent man, threatening the lives of his family.

Had it been the proper house, and the man shut the door in the police's face, and they looked at each other and said 'Well, what do we do now? I guess he shut the door, let's go for lunch...' would that be more acceptable to you all?

What they did, given the information they had, was the right thing. Unfortunately, the information they were given had some serious holes in it, and the wrong guy ended up getting demolished. As the article says, they were acting in good faith. For that, you certainly can't blame them. They honestly thought they had the right guy.

Anyone who says those two cops should be fired, or that they are power tripping... well, you just hate police to begin with and want an excuse to bash them without even trying to see it from the other side. This was NOT their fault, nor was it the victims fault. Both sides were justified in their actions, but the language barrier certainly didn't help.

you can try to defend your crooked brethren all you want but in the end, they fucked up and aren't reprimanded in any way, shape or form.

if they knocked on the door and couldn't tell that there was no violence going on, they probably shouldn't be cops in the first place.

JustGo
11-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

you can try to defend your crooked brethren all you want but in the end, they fucked up and aren't reprimanded in any way, shape or form.

if they knocked on the door and couldn't tell that there was no violence going on, they probably shouldn't be cops in the first place.

:facepalm:

Kloubek
11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, as far as I know, in any given potential court case, you sue the person(s) who are responsible for the damages. In this case, that would be the police.

If the police then want to turn around and sue the communications centre as a result, that is their choice.

But either way, this guy is going to (rightfully) get compensated.

max_boost
11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
:werd:

If civilians can get in shit for using excessive force, so should the Police.

JustGo
11-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Well, as far as I know, in any given potential court case, you sue the person(s) who are responsible for the damages. In this case, that would be the police.

If the police then want to turn around and sue the communications centre as a result, that is their choice.

But either way, this guy is going to (rightfully) get compensated.
Agreed. The guy should be compensated.

He should be compensated for his injuries, and they should also pay for him to take an ESL course. That way it's preventative measures in case he ever encounters another 'situation'.

Scuderia
11-04-2010, 02:31 PM

Well, that depends... if the communications section is a separate entity in Vancouver, as it is in Calgary, then it's not the fault of the 'police', it's the fault of the communications section that receives, and dispatches the call. That is if the original caller, ie. the complainant, gave the correct information to the communications section. If she just gave an address, but did not specify upstairs or downstairs, then it's not even communications' fault.

Unfortunately, in these situations, time is of the essence, and the police cannot afford to just hang out for 10 minutes and wait for 100% of the information to come in.

I think the blame being placed squarely on the police service is quite premature, considering all the variables that go into a situation like that. The entire event probably lasted 20 minutes, from the time communications received the call, until the time the victim was in handcuffs. It's easy to sit back now, after 8, 9, 10 months and completely break down the entire thing. But they had just 20 minutes, and that's being fairly generous.

^^:rolleyes: It's the polices' fault. What about the part about him being questioned for 2 HOURS after the beatdown while one of the cops was done in 37 minutes? Is that the fault of a seperate entity too? Break it up however you want it, I don't care if the FBI were in on this, at the end of the day an innocent man was sitting in his home and 2 plain clothed police officers burst in on him and beat the fuck out of him. Please explain how that's not the cops' fault.

JustGo
11-04-2010, 03:20 PM

^^:rolleyes: It's the polices' fault. What about the part about him being questioned for 2 HOURS after the beatdown while one of the cops was done in 37 minutes? Is that the fault of a seperate entity too? Break it up however you want it, I don't care if the FBI were in on this, at the end of the day an innocent man was sitting in his home and 2 plain clothed police officers burst in on him and beat the fuck out of him. Please explain how that's not the cops' fault.
I just did, you ignorant twat.

Feel free to answer that for me.

Scuderia
11-04-2010, 03:29 PM

I just did, you ignorant twat.

Feel free to answer that for me.

Are you retarded? Who gives a flying fuck what would happen in that situation, that situation didn't HAPPEN. This one did. Nobody gives a shit if you were a D- student who became a cop, don't try and insult people's intelligence by actually claiming that this is not the police's fault and the beatdown the guy got was deserved because he should go take an "esl course":rolleyes:

Sinse you want to throw hypotheticals in the mix, what if he JUST moved to Vancouver the day before the incident from a different country, all legal with all the right paper work, and he was planning on taking his first fucking english course that day?

Modelexis
11-04-2010, 03:30 PM
What ever happened to restraining the suspect until you can make a positive ID.

Slamming your door on a cop is not a threat, it's exercising a basic right.

NuclearPizzaMan
11-04-2010, 03:36 PM

This is exactly right. Since an objective marker isn't placed over a perp, like in a video game, the officers had no choice but to beat the shit out of this innocent man.

JustGo
11-04-2010, 04:00 PM

Are you retarded? Who gives a flying fuck what would happen in that situation, that situation didn't HAPPEN. This one did. Nobody gives a shit if you were a D- student who became a cop, don't try and insult people's intelligence by actually claiming that this is not the police's fault and the beatdown the guy got was deserved because he should go take an "esl course":rolleyes:

Sinse you want to throw hypotheticals in the mix, what if he JUST moved to Vancouver the day before the incident from a different country, all legal with all the right paper work, and he was planning on taking his first fucking english course that day?

Dude, you're right... I actually meant to say YOU should take an ESL course. You suck at reading. I've said several times that this is NOT the victims fault. I have never said he deserved it. I have never said he was wrong.

Do me a favor; before you reply, make sure you're not in the break room at Wal-mart. Wait until you get home so you have time to read everything I wrote and use it in it's entirety.

That D- student thing was also very original, creative, and witty. You should write a book on cop insults, because you are clearly very good at coming up with them all on your own. You did just come up with that, right? I've really never heard it before. Very nice. First time anyone has ever said that... clever.

P.S. You're tough. I know you wanted to hear that from someone, so there ya go.

JustGo
11-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
What ever happened to restraining the suspect until you can make a positive ID.

Slamming your door on a cop is not a threat, it's exercising a basic right.
Unless you're BEATING YOUR FAMILY INSIDE.

JustGo
11-04-2010, 04:04 PM

This is exactly right. Since an objective marker isn't placed over a perp, like in a video game, the officers had no choice but to beat the shit out of this innocent man.
They didn't know he was innocent.

What's hard to grasp about that?

They thought he was beating his wife, and a 10 month old's life was in danger... they walk up and the guy just starts freaking out because they are there. Not his fault, I see where he was coming from, but you have to see it from both sides, which most of you aren't because you're wearing your 'I Hate Cops' t-shirts, and sippin' on haterade.

JustGo
11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Whatever, I've made my point, the haters are gonna hate. I'm out.

calgary403
11-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Guilty until proven innocent?

Scuderia
11-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Agreed. The guy should be compensated.

He should be compensated for his injuries, and they should also pay for him to take an ESL course. That way it's preventative measures in case he ever encounters another 'situation'.

:dunno:
Yeah, you never said it was his fault because he didn't speak English.
Thanks for those compliments. Guess what though. I'm still not a cop. I'd shovel snow or pick up garbage before I used tax payer money to take out my anger on some innocent fob watching tv in his house. Luckily for me though, I wasn't a D student, and I learned a skill and got an education.

max_boost
11-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't get it. Were these cops off duty? Why weren't they in uniform? Why couldn't they send uniformed officers there? Is it a stretch to say they could have sent one Chinese officer there too? Given how many Chinese people there are in Vancouver?

I don't see how you can defend the Officers in this case unless the innocent fob man was holding a machete lol

Seth1968
11-04-2010, 04:39 PM
He also noted that audio recordings indicated the officers gave proper commands and that the entire incident lasted just two minutes.

Audio recordings?

I'm sure everyone would like to hear those.

SOAB
11-04-2010, 04:56 PM

:facepalm:

great rebuttle. i totally see your point. :rolleyes:

how many cases of police violence or brutality have we seen in the last few years and how many of those officers actually lost their jobs? or even reprimanded?

NuclearPizzaMan
11-04-2010, 04:57 PM

They thought he was beating his wife, and a 10 month old's life was in danger... they walk up and the guy just starts freaking out because they are there. Not his fault, I see where he was coming from, but you have to see it from both sides, which most of you aren't because you're wearing your 'I Hate Cops' t-shirts, and sippin' on haterade.

Apparently they didn't think hard enough?

Don't you believe that there should be consequences for being wrong?

Police should be held to the highest standard, but all we do is shrug and say "oh well, shit's hard, they had good intentions!"

DayGlow
11-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Apparently they didn't think hard enough?

Don't you believe that there should be consequences for being wrong?

Police should be held to the highest standard, but all we do is shrug and say "oh well, shit's hard, they had good intentions!"

The question is did they act in good faith or didn't they. Did they believe they were at the right address? Would a reasonable man believe they were at the right address? That's the test that would be used.

What is central to this incident is the question were the officers negligent in their actions in determining the address that the original complaint came from. With the info in the media it is next to impossible to know if the 911 caller did state that they were in a basement suite or just gave the address. Does the city even have a record of a basement suite there or is it like the majority here in this city, illegal?

Once there were their actions dispassionate to the situation? Again there isn't a lot of info, but from my experience plain-cloths officers don't go around answering calls for service. My guess is that the call was of a very urgent nature, ie woman is getting shit-kicked and they were in the area and responded because they believed it to be a life and death situation. Either that or Vancouver really needs to overhaul their policies on plain-cloths operations.

Since we are playing the second guess game, what is the proper response in the opinion of the people here on the forum? You are a plain-cloths officer, let's say in the Vice unit. You are conducting surveillance on some hookers trying to ID their pimp. Over the radio you hear a priority call to an address a block away. The 911 caller says she is getting beat up by her husband, she thinks he is going to kill her and the line goes dead. Patrol units start rushing to the call, but the closest is 5 minutes out and you can be there in less than a minute. When you arrive at the address there is no noise and the lights are out. You knock on the door, a man answers it and as you say, 'police' he slams the door in your face.

Decision time, what should the officer do?

-------------------------

Now once they were in the struggle with Wu, I have no idea if he did resist or not, or if they just beat the wheels off him for no reason. I can't comment on that. I'm just throwing out some reasons why they may have felt the need to make entry so quickly.

Or they are racist fucks that beat the shit out of an asian man for no reason :dunno:

SOAB
11-04-2010, 08:57 PM
^^ you forgot the part where as the cops are walking up to the house, one says to the other "Can I taze him?"

[Yu]
11-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Man, so far from what I see here is...

Police haters in this thread don't tend to defend/argue reasonably and just resort to name calling.

While those who defend the police try to use some reasoning.

Say what you guys want, this trend always happens when it has police involved.

The haters always just look like trolls.

calgary403
11-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]
Man, so far from what I see here is...

Police haters in this thread don't tend to defend/argue reasonably and just resort to name calling.

While those who defend the police try to use some reasoning.

Say what you guys want, this trend always happens when it has police involved.

The haters always just look like trolls.

I wouldn't say I defend the police by any means but I can see the arguement from both sides.

Just because the police were at the wrong house doesn't necessarily make them guilty. The guy could have opened the door and swung at them for all we know the article doesn't give enough information.

But them being in plain clothes and at the wrong part of the house does tend to weigh in favour of the chinese guy. We don't really get enough info to know for sure and that is also a problem. I think when someone is in a position holding the public's trust (Be it Police/Teachers/politicians) the details of their case should be public knowledge.

Although I will add it does seem fishy the amount of time the "victim" vs the amount of time the officers were interrogated does seem a bit odd.

911fever
11-04-2010, 10:39 PM
:zzz: this is thread worthy? Really?

atgilchrist
11-04-2010, 10:57 PM
The 2hr interview of the beating victim probably took so long because of the language barrier, and not some nefarious plot to detain him.

gatorade
11-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Did you guys even read the article, it says that the cops said he resisted, but then they backtracked and said that he didn't, and even if he did, why the fuck would anyone listen to the commands of two random guys in random clothes storming into their house, how exactly is he supposed to know if they are cops even if he did speak english? they were in plain clothes...

Seth1968
11-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by gatorade
Did you guys even read the article, it says that the cops said he resisted, but then they backtracked and said that he didn't, and even if he did, why the fuck would anyone listen to the commands of two random guys in random clothes storming into their house, how exactly is he supposed to know if they are cops even if he did speak english? they were in plain clothes...

Flash a police badge just like the ones you can buy at the dollar store.

derpderp
11-05-2010, 01:06 AM
If you ask me, plain clothed police officers without a very just and exact reason (ie. sting operations) should be against the rights and laws in a democratic nation, it is some dictator level stuff for the police to have the ability to hide themselves in general public for no reason besides weeding out people.

Also, doesn't anyone else ever wonder if the reason police get away with slaps on the wrist so often because they all belong to Unions? I figure those Unions like all other Unions make it a situation where you could burn half the department down and they'll get you out of it.