PDA

View Full Version : When are you putting on your winters?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

copynpaste
11-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Just curious. For me, im delaying it till the first small snowfall or when it gets 0 - whichever is first. At least a couple more weeks on the summer tires :)

Redlyne_mr2
11-03-2010, 09:50 PM
OMG not this thread again... even better it has a poll!:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :rofl:

shakalaka
11-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Got 'em switched today. Supposed to snow on Saturday.

aypi
11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
i'm planning to change mine this weekend. i hate changing my wheels when its cold, i wish i have a heated garage.

kevie88
11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Already on.

My summers are so bald now the tread was starting to separate and get lumpy. I put the winters on last week in the interest of safety.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
OMG not this thread again... even better it has a poll!:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :rofl:

This thread is a sure sign that winter is nearly here lol

Aleks
11-03-2010, 09:57 PM
This weekend on my car and probably next weekend on the my wife's forester.

JordanAndrew
11-03-2010, 09:58 PM
It's been on since september right after my oil change. Got it done for free so I might as well let them do it and save my time doing other things. :D

thepyrofish
11-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
Already on.

My summers are so bald now the tread was starting to separate and get lumpy. I put the winters on last week in the interest of safety.

Same. Normally I'd leave it until the first snowfall but my summers are nearly slicks... Stupid fucking hankook winters are noisy as hell on pavement though.

schocker
11-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Already on. Only have one set of wheels so I didnt want to get stuck on the summers if it did snow.

swak
11-03-2010, 10:16 PM
already on....

Got er done after the first significant snow fall.

Gibson
11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Put them on earlier this week. On some of the colder mornings of the year so far, it was like driving on hockey pucks.

adam c
11-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure when the snow is going to start sticking on the ground so I said within the next month, I have underground heated parking at home but there's no elevator so i would have to lug them up and down 5 flights of stairs which i'm not looking forward to so i'm delaying them as long as possible :)

JordanAndrew
11-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by adam c
I'm not sure when the snow is going to start sticking on the ground so I said within the next month, I have underground heated parking at home but there's no elevator so i would have to lug them up and down 5 flights of stairs which i'm not looking forward to so i'm delaying them as long as possible :)

haha hopefully calgary weather doesn't screw you over with a surprise snowstorm.

adam c
11-03-2010, 11:15 PM
i'm not worried, if it snows then it gives me motivation

Masked Bandit
11-04-2010, 09:34 AM
I had them installed two weekends ago. I didn't want to be the guy waiting at the tire shop for 12 hours the day after the first snowfall.

taemo
11-04-2010, 09:38 AM
I usually put my winter tires on a week before Halloween, this year was the 1st Halloween that didn't snow in a while.

rage2
11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
1 car on winters, 1 car on summers. Works awesome!

Hakkola
11-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Studded Nokians, I'm going to wait until December probably or whenever we get a lot of snow and ice.

max_boost
11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Weather is still alright for now. Will see what next week brings.

I use to put mine on in October but that's when I was running a harder compound performance winter tire. Now I'm running the soft, more snow oriented ones I'm being patient and waiting as close to snow/colder temperatures haha

89coupe
11-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Been on for a month...haha.

ekguy
11-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Hahaha so far 4% of people who responded to this are dumbasses hehe.

Whether Calgary doesn't get alot of snow or does it's still a Canadian city and you still need winter tires...

CapnCrunch
11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Hahaha so far 4% of people who responded to this are dumbasses hehe.

Whether Calgary doesn't get alot of snow or does it's still a Canadian city and you still need winter tires...

:rofl: I get around just fine without them.

n1zm0
11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
i had mine on for a week now on the winter beater. you never know tho, working out in Springbank, the shit rolls in unexpectedly and usually with full force from the mountains.

im waiting for that first snowfall tho, where i know i have to leave an hour earlier than i usually would because of those last minute rich idiots soccermoms in signal hill north to patterson pretty much still driving around with fken Z rated tires on their cayennes/X5s wondering why they have no traction - "ohhh, but its an SUV" :rolleyes:

ekguy
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

:rofl: I get around just fine without them.

I did for one winter in my legend since my winter beater was not gonna work and it was the dumbest thing ever. Don't know how true Canadians can go without. But then again those who go around on all seasons are those morons stuck at lights at a 2 degree incline because their tires are like hocky pucks...

D. Dub
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I use temperature range. From what I've researched All Seasons are good until about -10 to -15 C & summer tires (dedicated performance tires) are good until about +5 C After that they both become hockey pucks. I usually change to my winters in middle November or so

94boosted
11-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
I use temperature range. From what I've researched All Seasons are good until about -10 to -15 C & summer tires (dedicated performance tires) are good until about -5 C After that they both become hockey pucks. I usually change to my winters in middle November or so

I don't know where you get your info from but dedicated summer tires are good to +7°C not -5. And although an all season tire will work at -10 to -15 it won't work nearly as well as a dedicated winter tire.

I was going to hold off till this weekend or even next weekend but as I walked out to my car last saturday I noticed I got a flat :cry: so I switched over to my winter wheels.

Mar
11-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Why would you wait until it gets to 0? The compound in non winter tires is only designed for 7 degrees, anything below that and you should be switching to winters. So basically I'm just watching the 7 day forecast to see when the average temperate hits 7 and there we go.

D. Dub
11-04-2010, 12:50 PM
My mistake I meant +5 degrees for dedicated summer performance tires I typoed

93VR6
11-04-2010, 01:02 PM
How do so many people already have these on? it's +10 or more, why not just wait til it starts to snow, takes no more then 20 minutes to switch out 4 tires.

Guillermo
11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
not to mention that the poll gives a timeframe, not a date, so the results will vary depending on when one reads the thread. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

89coupe
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
JGfvyPtYR0Y

89coupe
11-04-2010, 01:32 PM
UX1UmYG1nyk

89coupe
11-04-2010, 01:32 PM
iKw3HffVJrk&

89coupe
11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
cFYXOJ5KEXM&

89coupe
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
EdtAm7RsTmE&

89coupe
11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
zqDJdYc8OYc&

ekguy
11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I never ever thought I'd post this but man...

:thumbsup: :clap: to 89coupe hehe. Clearly it's still some people who are either too dumb to get winter tires, or too cheap to get them who will stay with all seasons.

Good job on those videos. Was very nice to physically see the difference between both types of tires.

Resurrected RA
11-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I will never go back to all-season tires in the winter. Night and day difference.

As for the price barrier, if you keep your eyes open, deals can be found. I picked up a set of lightly used 205 55 R16 Goodyear Nordics for $50 on another forum.

Tik-Tok
11-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Put them on last week, figured I'd beat the rush, plus with working 3am some weeks, I didn't want to get caught offguard (and in the ditch).

My wife's car has All-Weather's, so we leave them on all year (like all-seasons, but have much lower temperature performance)

project240
11-04-2010, 06:19 PM
I've had mine on for a couple of weeks now. Big difference in stopping distance and acceleration from a standstill (not that this is that important in the winter)

GoChris
11-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Winter tires are worlds better than all seasons.

Having said that, the video pissed me off a bit because they always put the all season tire vehicle in the same lane, which looked clearly more icy than the other lane. They switched tires on vehicles but never kept the vehicle in the same lane.

Not that the winter tire equipped car wouldn't have still stopped in a shorter distance, but it had a clear advantage due to road conditions.

Resurrected RA
11-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by GoChris

Having said that, the video pissed me off a bit because they always put the all season tire vehicle in the same lane, which looked clearly more icy than the other lane. They switched tires on vehicles but never kept the vehicle in the same lane.

Not that the winter tire equipped car wouldn't have still stopped in a shorter distance, but it had a clear advantage due to road conditions.

I noticed that too. :bullshit:

Tik-Tok
11-04-2010, 06:26 PM

That's weird. Why would a company that sells tires, have such a biased video? :rofl:

topmade
11-04-2010, 06:29 PM
They have been on for the last month haha. Mostly for the wife though, I drive the van with all seasons in the winter and she drives the awd crv with winters.

copynpaste
11-04-2010, 06:52 PM

For winter yes but using winters all year round is dumb. Driving them on dry asphalt will wear them out so fast.

94boosted
11-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste

For winter yes but using winters all year round is dumb. Driving them on dry asphalt will wear them out so fast.

Which is what sucks about our weather. Minus a few degrees in the morning and then up to 20 in the day (like today) :nut:

PulsePro
11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
All Terrains for me:poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

boarderfatty
11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I put mine on Sat sept 4 because there was a snow warning for Sept 5th. I am pretty sure my winters are going to be bald by the time snow actually falls, but I don't want to risk my summer tires in snow given their poor performance in wet condition.

BokCh0y
11-04-2010, 08:40 PM
I have all seasons on right now, so no real rush fo rme. Once I hear there's going to be a significant snowfall or at least minus temps, i'll toss them on. I assume before the end of this month.

Disoblige
11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Hankook Ice Bears will go on probably near the end of November! :)

Aleks
11-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by PulsePro
All Terrains for me:poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

Do they have a little snowflake symbol on them? You'd be surprised how shitty some all terains can be on ice and snow.

3drian
11-04-2010, 10:22 PM
fuck ive been too lazy :poosie:

SCHIDER23
11-04-2010, 11:15 PM
LOL I had to do some work on one of the vehicle, so I switched it to winter mode this past weekend since the tires were coming off :rofl: , it was the only reason why I switched them, or else I would have waited till next weekend. I still have to do the other ride, maybe this weekend, or next.:thumbsup:

JordanAndrew
11-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by SCHIDER23
LOL I had to do some work on one of the vehicle, so I switched it to winter mode this past weekend since the tires were coming off :rofl: , it was the only reason why I switched them, or else I would have waited till next weekend. I still have to do the other ride, maybe this weekend, or next.:thumbsup:

So you're running with winter on one side and summer on the other? haha now that's lazy!

CapnCrunch
11-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

I did for one winter in my legend since my winter beater was not gonna work and it was the dumbest thing ever. Don't know how true Canadians can go without. But then again those who go around on all seasons are those morons stuck at lights at a 2 degree incline because their tires are like hocky pucks...

True Canadians? :rofl:

The only reason I'll never use winters here is because of our weather. The snow never sticks around. You just end up driving winter tires on dry pavement which feels far more unstable to me. I'd rather slow down when the weather is complete shit, and have the stability in the dry. Calgarys 6 months of winter is usually 5 months of dry roads and a month of snow and ice. Plus I drive a 4x4 with a manual transmission, I probably have more control over how my vehicle behaves than 99% of the people out there.

boarderfatty
11-06-2010, 05:22 PM

The only reason I'll never use winters here is because of our weather. The snow never sticks around. You just end up driving winter tires on dry pavement which feels far more unstable to me. I'd rather slow down when the weather is complete shit, and have the stability in the dry. Calgarys 6 months of winter is usually 5 months of dry roads and a month of snow and ice. Plus I drive a 4x4 with a manual transmission, I probably have more control over how my vehicle behaves than 99% of the people out there.

Have you ever driven on performance winter tires? I have the same feelings as you, that the roads are usually bare and that I hate the feel of a sloppy tire on dry pavement, but for me Performance winter tires are an awesome solution, they stay softer in cold temps have better traction than all seasons, but don't feel like absolute shit in decent conditions.

max_boost
11-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

Have you ever driven on performance winter tires? I have the same feelings as you, that the roads are usually bare and that I hate the feel of a sloppy tire on dry pavement, but for me Performance winter tires are an awesome solution, they stay softer in cold temps have better traction than all seasons, but don't feel like absolute shit in decent conditions.

BINGO!

But performance winter tires due cost a premium though and most people can not justify its cost.

copynpaste
11-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Just got my winters put on today, I hope the dry asphalt isnt going to melt the tires out fast.

hampstor
11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
My A/T tires stay on year round.

guessboi
11-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Done mine today - both cars. the jeep wont have winters though cuz the company is too cheap. :nut:

gpomp
11-07-2010, 12:47 AM
The only reason I'll never use winters here is because I'm cheap fixed

SCHIDER23
11-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

So you're running with winter on one side and summer on the other? haha now that's lazy!

LOL no I have two cars, one is in winter mode, I still need to do the other vehicle, but I don't think I could do such thing even if I felt lazy LOL.:rofl: :rofl:

mrsingh
11-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I never took them off of my Integra, but I barely drove it 600 kms all year. I put them on my Accord two weeks ago, as the summer tires were not cutting it on a couple of the cool mornings we have had in the last month. The wife's car is on all seasons right now, but I will be putting it's winter set on next weekend.

Safe driving everyone!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Thinking of maybe throwing the winters on today, but this car wont really be driven during the winter anymore.

ICEBERG
11-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Just finished putting the winters on in my garage today. Kind of Pi$$ed though. The mechanic who put them on last year must have stripped one of my bolts.. I can't get the bolt to tighten up. Always something.:(

88CRX
11-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Winters went on today.

Probably won't have real snow for a couple weeks but I wanted to clean everything up and the hose was being put away today for the year.

copynpaste
11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Fuck i hope it starts snowing soon cause i regret putting my winters on yesterday. Theyre gonna be worn out by the time snow comes.

Cooked Rice
11-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Fuck i hope it starts snowing soon cause i regret putting my winters on yesterday. Theyre gonna be worn out by the time snow comes.

Winter tires don't wear according to if there's snow or not. It's temperature dependent, 7C or lower and they don't wear quickly at all. Doesn't matter if the roads are bone dry.

KandabashiDevil
11-08-2010, 01:04 AM
^^ Exactly, and look at the temperature lately!

It's still a bit early to put on winters. Even if it snows, it won't stay.
Seems like I put them on later every year.

gyu
11-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Just put them on today, supposed to rain/snow a bit tonight.
Also if post above is true about being temperature dependent, the temperature is gonna be like that all week :thumbsup:

Wrinkly
11-08-2010, 01:52 AM
using winters all year round is dumb. Driving them on dry asphalt will wear them out so fast.

Absolutely right - but I am blown away at how well mine have NOT worn over the summer.

The plan was to have Summers on but it didn't work out that way. I reckon I've put about 10k km on the winters (including last winter) and I am pleasantly surprised at how well they behaved in the heat, too. Rain seemed to be the biggest issue - very 'twitchy' and significant loss of grip - but fortunately we don't get a lot of that. Brilliant on ice and snow, the ABS only kicked in once all winter.

They're a brand new tyre (as in new out last winter) by Continental (think they're called "extreme contact II") and so far they've been great in every way and they have tons of tread left. :dunno:

I'd recommend them and certainly buy them again.

psycoticclown
11-08-2010, 02:17 AM
Probably not doing it until we start getting a ton of snow. Car is on all seasons right now anyways and the during the days, it hits 15 degrees so too warm for winters.

CapnCrunch
11-08-2010, 08:28 AM

I have run winters and I agree that winter tires are great in the ice and snow. I'm just saying my preference is to have optimal control for the 4 or 5 months that it's not snowing, then to have optimal control for the month or two that it is. I adjust my driving when the weather is bad, and sometimes if it's really bad I can just stay home.

CapnCrunch
11-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
fixed

Wow, some kid with a riced out Civic calling me cheap. I've got an RDX, a Frontier, and a Ducati 848 sitting in my garage. Trust me, if I wanted to drop a few bucks on a set of winter tires I would.

Try insulting me when you can afford something faster than a minivan. Until then, how about you stick to posting relevant information.

boarderfatty
11-08-2010, 10:10 AM

I have run winters and I agree that winter tires are great in the ice and snow. I'm just saying my preference is to have optimal control for the 4 or 5 months that it's not snowing, then to have optimal control for the month or two that it is. I adjust my driving when the weather is bad, and sometimes if it's really bad I can just stay home.

I am not talking about a normal winter tire. I am talking about a PERFORMANCE winter tire, I find the difference between the two is quite dramatic. Performance winters have a stiffer side wall, high speed ratings, don't get soft in warm conditions etc. On my STI I ran both a normal winter and a performance winter both made by dunlop and found the difference to be quite dramatic. Enough that I do not intend on running a normal winter again unless I am in a place where there is snow and ice on the roads 90% of the time in winter.

max_boost
11-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Wow, some kid with a riced out Civic calling me cheap. I've got an RDX, a Frontier, and a Ducati 848 sitting in my garage. Trust me, if I wanted to drop a few bucks on a set of winter tires I would.

Try insulting me when you can afford something faster than a minivan. Until then, how about you stick to posting relevant information.

Then you should buy winters if cost is no thing. Sure you can adjust your driving style but as boarderfattty keeps saying, a HIGH PERFORMANCE winter tire gives you the best of both worlds, dry road handling and winter capability.

:thumbsup:

CapnCrunch
11-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Then you should buy winters if cost is no thing. Sure you can adjust your driving style but as boarderfattty keeps saying, a HIGH PERFORMANCE winter tire gives you the best of both worlds, dry road handling and winter capability.

:thumbsup:

I see. Well lets pretend my truck isn't a 'performance' vehicle and I have to run regular winter tires on it. Then would you agree that my point is valid?

max_boost
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Ya that's fine if you don't want winters, don't buy them :rofl:

msommers
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Sure, don't run them. Just stay the fuck away from me!

I still haven't switched mine over yet. The tires that came with the car have good thread but a couple of the threads looks like a dog tried to chew on em or something LOL.

alloroc
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM

.... Plus I drive a 4x4 with a manual transmission, I probably have more control over how my vehicle behaves than 99% of the people out there.

You got us .... a 6000 lb 4x4 stops WAY better than 99% of the vehicles out there.

:nut: :rolleyes:

Xtrema
11-08-2010, 12:47 PM

I'm sure if you don't go crazy and stay home when possible, all seasons are fine.

After all, from 60km/h, all season is only takes 30feet more to stop compare to winter. So as long as you always keep 2 F150 length between you and the person in front of you and don't allow people to cut in front, you'll be ok.

CapnCrunch
11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

You got us .... a 6000 lb 4x4 stops WAY better than 99% of the vehicles out there.

:nut: :rolleyes:

I said this? Stop grasping people.

I don't drive on winters, I don't get into accidents, obviously I'm a better driver than you. Driver skill on all seasons > throwing on winters and still driving like a douche. Why does everyone got to hate?

CapnCrunch
11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

After all, from 60km/h, all season is only takes 30feet more to stop compare to winter. So as long as you always keep 2 F150 length between you and the person in front of you and don't allow people to cut in front, you'll be ok.

Please convert distances into custom bodykit JDM Civic lengths. Thanks.

msommers
11-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Driving like a douche gets you in accidents any time of the year, regardless of weather conditions. I've driven a RWD turbo with open diff during the winter. Never got stuck, never got into an accident and never had close calls that were my fault. Does that mean 4x4 is useless? Sure it does, look at my experience!!....

Winter tires are better than all seasons. Anyone who disputes that is a fucking idiot. Consequently, if you have two drivers of equal skill, the guy with the winters on is better off. End of story.

alloroc
11-08-2010, 01:15 PM

I said this?

Plus I drive a 4x4 with a manual transmission, I probably have more control over how my vehicle behaves than 99% of the people out there.

Yes, you said it.

I don't drive on winters, I don't get into accidents, obviously I'm a better driver than you. Driver skill on all seasons > throwing on winters and still driving like a douche. Why does everyone got to hate?

Not hating, you are obviously the best driver in the city.
Please share how your superior skills make you stop a 6000 lb vehicle faster than 99% of other vehicles on the road.

alloroc
11-08-2010, 01:26 PM
GlYEMH10Z4s

max_boost
11-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I'm sure if you don't go crazy and stay home when possible, all seasons are fine.

:werd:

max_boost
11-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Winter tires are better than all seasons. Anyone who disputes that is a fucking idiot. Consequently, if you have two drivers of equal skill, the guy with the winters on is better off. End of story.

:werd:

CapnCrunch
11-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Yes, you said it.

Not hating, you are obviously the best driver in the city.
Please share how your superior skills make you stop a 6000 lb vehicle faster than 99% of other vehicles on the road.

Well as I'm sure you can read, I never said I have a shorter stopping distance than 99% of the drivers out there, but more control of my vehicle. But since you are going to make shit up, I'll humor you.

I have more control because I observe safe following distances no matter what the weather conditions are.

I can also see alot further ahead as I can see over the top of 99% of the cars out there. I pay attention to whats happening around me as well as whats going on way ahead. I'll notice if there are 75 brake light ahead on the road, whereas most people can't even see past the minivan that they are tailgating, even with their amazing winter tires.

My vehicle also employs a switch marked 4x4, which engages the front drive wheels as well as the rear. This is quite helpful in low traction situations whether I'm accelerating from a light that has turned green, or to help reduce slippage when I'm travelling at faster speeds.

Also, I drive a manual transmission which helps me employ a driving technique I invented called "engine braking". This allows me to control my speed driving down hills (even icy ones). My vehicle will not accelerate unwantedly down a hill using this technique.

Finally, I take very good care of my vehicles. Mainteneance is kept up to date, tire pressures are checked regularly, brakes are checked, I brush snow and ice from my vehicle "before" driving, and I never run tires with less than 50% treads thru the winter season.

So now you know how I reach my estimate of 99%. If you would like to debate anything I've posted please feel free. Or if you prefer, you can make up something else that I didn't say and I'll do my best to try to change your mind.

I'll apologize for any spelling errors I've made as I'm not going to spellcheck allthatshitbyme.

atgilchrist
11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Do we have to have this thread EVERY year?

All the 4x4 in the world doesn't help you stop faster, it's got everything to do with temperature dependent traction.

max_boost
11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Reading is one thing but comprehension is another but anyway :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

CapnCrunch
11-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Reading is one thing but comprehension is another but anyway :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

You're telling me.

Originally posted by atgilchrist
Do we have to have this thread EVERY year?

All the 4x4 in the world doesn't help you stop faster, it's got everything to do with temperature dependent traction.

I never claimed it did. I didn't say you can stop faster on ice and snow with all seasons than with winter tires. I don't understand why people are ignoring what I say and assuming something else.

CapnCrunch
11-08-2010, 03:27 PM
GlYEMH10Z4s

I'll remember that next time I'm driving in a hockey rink.

eb0i
11-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I change my summers over to winters once the weather at night consistently dips below 10C. I put mine on 2 weeks ago. The difference was night and day on those cold mornings driving to work.

Xtrema
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
I change my summers over to winters once the weather at night consistently dips below 10C. I put mine on 2 weeks ago. The difference was night and day on those cold mornings driving to work.

Summers under 10C definitely isn't fun.

I took the same corner I can confidently do in summer and almost lost it when temp drop to 3C.

FraserB
11-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Keep your speed at an appropriate for conditions, don't follow closely and drive for conditions. No matter what you drive a good set of winters will make a difference.

The only time my non-winter tires are the best on the road in the winter is if there is accumulated snow. They are sipped pretty heavily and I have never had an issue since I try to drive like an educated person.

copynpaste
11-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

WHat? Unless theres actual ice/snow on the ground, driving with winters in dry conditions is terrible.

All seasons can generally handle as low as -10 weather until it becomes too hard and loses traction.

I am not talking about a normal winter tire. I am talking about a PERFORMANCE winter tire, I find the difference between the two is quite dramatic. Performance winters have a stiffer side wall, high speed ratings, don't get soft in warm conditions etc. On my STI I ran both a normal winter and a performance winter both made by dunlop and found the difference to be quite dramatic. Enough that I do not intend on running a normal winter again unless I am in a place where there is snow and ice on the roads 90% of the time in winter.

I got the Federal Himalaya WS2s, theire very good bang for your buck performance winter tires without the high price tag. This is my first set of winters so i couldnt justify spending $800 on high end blizzaks.

Team_Mclaren
11-08-2010, 08:10 PM

your minivan runs 12s???

sidewaysD
11-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I am delaying as late as possible. Maybe when the forecast actually calls for more than just "wet flurries" I need accumulating snow to keep these soft compounds at optimum. Other wise they wear so quick

I have my own winters on steelies so I need not to worry about the mad rush to the shops for a change over.

If you do not have another set of rims for winter, you should probably do this before you start seeing the temperature dip to 5 degrees or zero.

sidewaysD
11-08-2010, 08:40 PM

WHat? Unless theres actual ice/snow on the ground, driving with winters in dry conditions is terrible.

All seasons can generally handle as low as -10 weather until it becomes too hard and loses traction.

I got the Federal Himalaya WS2s, theire very good bang for your buck performance winter tires without the high price tag. This is my first set of winters so i couldnt justify spending $800 on high end blizzaks.

WRONG.

In Cold mornings, The road temperature can hit below 5 or below zero. Depending on the compound of the rubber all seasons will turn harder below seven. Summer tires will turn hard below 10. If the car was parked outside all night, you must factor in the cold tire temperature, the cold road temperature, and the ambient air temperature.

Winters are a softer compound, with thicker tread blocks. They do respond better than all seasons will with these factors. But cornering wise, Winter tires have more roll and more wear. Eventually you can get the all seasons up to temperature, but that takes longer than a standard winter tire.

The only downside winters on dry is they might wear a little quicker. But the tire would be better overall to drive on with falling temperatures.