PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic GF2 Announced

Mitsu3000gt
11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I was particularly interested in this announcement as I have been looking to upgrade my P&S camera recently, and can't decide between a true P&S or something like the GF1/NEX5/etc.

Looks like all you GF1 owners may want to hang on to it. They removed features and took away many of the hard buttons in favor of a touch screen. The GF2 has better video though. Same sensor.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf2/

Here's a brief summary of the major changes between the GF2 and GF1:

Smaller and lighter body
LCD screen now touch-sensitive, with added anti-reflective coating
Fewer external controls (mode dial, drive mode lever, AEL and DOF preview buttons removed)
Completely revamped, fully-customizable Quick Menu designed for touchscreen operation
Built-in stereo microphone
1080i 60fps full HD video (from 25p sensor output)
Continuous shooting at 2.6fps with Live View
Increased maximum sensitivity (ISO 6400)
iAuto button on top plate
Variable 'Peripheral Defocus' control in iAuto mode, with live preview
Full support for F-FT012 3D lens
No remote release socket
2nd curtain sync and flash exposure compensation no longer available
New smaller DMW-BLD10 battery with slightly lower capacity (7.3Wh vs 9 Wh)

http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcgf2/Images/gf1gf2front.jpg

AccentAE86
11-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Hmm, take away a bunch of features and make it smaller... reminds me of the 60D.

I love how they got rid of mode/drive controls but ADDED an "Intelligent Automatic" button. WIN. :rolleyes:

No FEC is the puzzler for me though.

Mitsu3000gt
11-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah I agree, I was immediately reminded of what Canon did with the 60D "repositioning" (i.e. removing key features and making it completely uncompetitive in an already tough market).

It looks like they are trying even harder to target people who would otherwise go out and buy a P&S camera with an attempt to simplify it with a touch screen. Also the 20mm f1.7 lens is no longer offered as a kit lens, only the 14mm f2.5. It might work if there is a notable price drop.

AccentAE86
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Wow, no 20 1.7 option? That lens is awesome. I love it. I haven't had the itch to buy another m43 lens because that one is pretty killer. Now it's not even an option? That's nuts.

My friend has been waiting for the GF2 release... but now I think I might have to tell her to just get the GF1.

Mitsu3000gt
11-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
Wow, no 20 1.7 option? That lens is awesome. I love it. I haven't had the itch to buy another m43 lens because that one is pretty killer. Now it's not even an option? That's nuts.

My friend has been waiting for the GF2 release... but now I think I might have to tell her to just get the GF1.

You can get it, but you have to buy it separately. They just aren't offering the 20/1.7 as a "kit" like they are with the GF1. The 14/2.5 is physically smaller, I bet thats why they did it. They seem to be doing everything they can to make it P&S size.

blitz
11-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I'll be keeping and enjoying my GF1. This almost seems like it should have been introduced as a seperate model line. People, including me, love the GF1 because of it's dedicated buttons and controls.

Mitsu3000gt
11-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by blitz
I'll be keeping and enjoying my GF1. This almost seems like it should have been introduced as a seperate model line. People, including me, love the GF1 because of it's dedicated buttons and controls.

Yeah that is exactly what the tone seems to be like in the Panasonic forums. Everyone wanted a successor to the GF1 with logical improvements, not a dumbed down more consumer friendly model. The appeal if it is, as you say, the external controls, etc. I do wish it had a tiny viewfinder though, even if it was average at best. I guess you could buy the optional accessory one for $150 or something. It would be strange shooting action or any sort of moving subject with a screen only, and harder to hold the camera steady in general I would imagine. I also would hate a touch screen on a camera as its just one more thing I have to protect and worry about keeping clean.