PDA

View Full Version : barb higgins V. ric mciver ROUND 2

rob the knob
11-04-2010, 06:24 PM
both today say they interested in running for old seat of member of parliament that stepped down today.

Sugarphreak
11-04-2010, 06:28 PM

AndyL
11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
:banghead:

:facepalm:
that is all

kertejud2
11-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Ric wouldn't be a bad choice. He'd have to settle being a back-bencher but he'd be far from the worst Tory MP out there.

LOL for Higgins.

msommers
11-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Higgins wants to know what it feels like to get her ass handed to her twice. At least she won't be let down!

JordanAndrew
11-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Calgary is so stupid to even consider Barb Higgin.. I mean really? :dunno:

ZenOps
11-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Calgary Centre-north? Jim Prentice just quit, he literally quit.

http://www.660news.com/news/local/article/124810--mciver-and-higgins-both-eye-federal-seat-in-calgary

I guess Harper was too overbearing (Just a guess)

I can guarantee that anyone with half decent credentials will have a decent shot at MP as well. Grade 8 education minimum ;)

I assume both would run as Conservative? I dunno, Liberal might actually have a shot, even Green. The NDP are loving their seat in the middle of Edmonton.

Cos
11-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I would vote for Ric in that. I think he is a great person to advise a mayor or PM. The way he was a good alderman and could be a great MP. I hope he does this. I just dont think he is a good leader, he is that parent or aunt uncle that can play devils advocate so well.

ZenOps
11-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't think McIver would be a good MP. Hes a "No" man, not a "Yes" man.

Federal politics means you have to 99.8% of the time, always say "Yes" to what your party/party leader has decided is the way to go. Its called consensus (and other people call it the death of true democracy)

Barb does not strike me as being a good Conservative. She may have a slightly skewed view of the world like Giorgio Mammoliti...

"Giorgio Mammoliti has made them a prominent part of his self-described “outrageous” mayoral campaign; He announced earlier this month he plans to eliminate property taxes entirely for seniors making less than $65,000 a year."

Too bad I'm not living in that area anymore... I might have considered running for the Green party rep. Seriously - if anyone wants to run Not Conservative against McIver and or Higgins - Its up for grabs *deja vu*

sexualbanana
11-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Calgary Centre-north? Jim Prentice just quit, he literally quit.

http://www.660news.com/news/local/article/124810--mciver-and-higgins-both-eye-federal-seat-in-calgary

I guess Harper was too overbearing (Just a guess)

He got a Chair position for CIBC

CUG
11-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

LOL for Higgins. No kidding, Higgins was largely supported by liberals. There wasn't really an ounce of Conservative gold in her campaign from what I heard. Odd that she'd jump into that.

kertejud2
11-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Cos
I would vote for Ric in that. I think he is a great person to advise a mayor or PM. The way he was a good alderman and could be a great MP. I hope he does this. I just dont think he is a good leader, he is that parent or aunt uncle that can play devils advocate so well.
The sad part is that he wouldn't be a devil's advocate in the CPC. He would be the conservative equivalent of a moderate. As far as I can tell he isn't a loony on social policy and isn't anything extreme in regards to economic policy (a fiscal conservative sure, but that's pretty run of the mill). He'd be a good MP in that he'd listen to his constituents and do what he can for them, but in terms of his role for the party his job will be to sit at the back and vote for what the party wants. He wont be a cabinet minister, he wont be a committee chair, he'd just be a warm body towing the party line.

This isn't meant to be a slight to McIver, more of a reality of how federal politics work in Canada, especially for the CPC.

Masked Bandit
11-05-2010, 06:50 AM
It's one thing to try to be the mayor with no political background but federal politics is a whole new ball game that Barb would be completely unprepared for.

I suspect her name is a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Once her people took a good honest look at the big picture they would decide against it.

dexlargo
11-05-2010, 08:55 AM
The way that Calgary is seen as a conservative stronghold, I won't be surprised if the party uses the byelection to get someone elected that Harper wants to come into government, possibly to join his cabinet. If they do, look for Ric to earn a favour from the party for stepping aside in the nomination process.

ZenOps
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
McIver may want to run as a Conservative...

BUT

The Conservative party may not want McIver. I wouldn't. The man disagrees too much.

Backbenchers is what parliament is built on - people who don't complain at all. Not that its right - but thats the way it is.

I can see Barb running as a Liberal and getting good support from Ignatieff. Her potential for winning would be greatly reduced - but depending on the candidate for the Cons, possible.

hampstor
11-05-2010, 09:29 AM
The nomination should be very interesting to say the least. There were probably quite a few local and provincial politicians who were eyeing the new federal ridings. However with this one open now I wonder how many of them will be competing as well.

On facebook yesterday:

Alan Hallman First things first, congradulations to Jim Prentice for a job well done, thanks Jim. Would love any feedback on Barb Higgins taking a shot at the nomination.