PDA

View Full Version : Is my Xbox 360 done for?

OCDP
11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Fuck!

I am playing rock band 3, no problems then the console just completely freezes, the screen gets all fuzzy like and the speakers go all staticy (thanks for ruining the beach boys on volume 250.. fuck that scared me) It's completely frozen, but it'll turn off when I press the power button.

So I re-start it, assuming it's just a one time thing. Nope. Can't even get past my dashboard now, it will get all "fuzzy" like and make that gay noise. I assume there is nothing I can do, so this is probably a useless post but hey, can't hurt to ask.

I've done some reading, heard that you can try to dump the cache except I can't do fuck all on my dashboard.

Fairly certain my only option is to buy a new console. The warranty is dead, so I am not even going to fuck with Microsoft. I have a quick question though in regards to buying a unit: can I use my old elite 250G hard drive on a new console? I'm just going to buy the 4gb unit and *hopefully* put my old HD on. If I do that, does my xbox live go on to the new console? I haven't had to do this before.

Funny how this happens 2 days after doing the new big update... just speculation.

Time to sell the Wii I guess... I can live without that, the xbox on the other hand, no.

/end rant

*edit* Can't even get to the dashboard now, just freezes right at the main screen.

cosmok
11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
3 red lights flashing? That's what they do before they RROD

OCDP
11-04-2010, 06:32 PM
No red lights yet, but I assume if I keep turning it on it'll come.

Just seems brutal that you get maybe three years of use and then it dies? Are the newer models any better?

BokCh0y
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
I've stopped supporting anything to do with xbox due to the shit products they produce and the shit warranty.

I am sorry to ehar about your issue.

To answer your q bout the hd to the new slim unit...of course the answer is NO. Why would MS make it that easy? Seriously think they'll let the possibility of making a dollar slip? Hell no!!!!!

However there is a half assed way to do it:

http://www.myce.com/news/hack-your-old-xbox-360-hard-drive-into-an-xbox-360-slim-33667/

May just want to look around for the old body style.

:dunno:

OCDP
11-05-2010, 08:53 AM
If I didn't have so many 360 games and Rock Band instruments I'd consider going PC route or even PS3 but I am stuck with the 360 for now.

Seems like I can do the half assed way if need be. Seems to be working for lots of people, also I have seen there are transfer cables to take content from the old style HD and move it to the new one. Might look into that...

jonnycat
11-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Just buy an Arcade 360 and transport your hard drive over.

OCDP
11-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Will this method work if I can't get to my dashboard on my fried Xbox?

I assume this cable just goes to the old HD into the new Xbox.

Thanks,

OCDP
11-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Well just realized there is no way to transfer my 120g HD to a 4g HD that the Arcade comes with??

So back to square one. I think what I am going to do is buy the arcade then take apart the old HD and put it in the new one, seems common, easy and doesn't void the xbox warranty itself.

Good thing I didn't go out buying the transfer cable and realizing I can't transfer 70 gigs of content to a 4g HD.

bjstare
11-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I thought MS extended the warranty for RROD?

(ps, I'm pretty sure this is whats happening. sounds the same as when mine RROD'd)

403Gemini
11-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by OCDP
Well just realized there is no way to transfer my 120g HD to a 4g HD that the Arcade comes with??

So back to square one. I think what I am going to do is buy the arcade then take apart the old HD and put it in the new one, seems common, easy and doesn't void the xbox warranty itself.

Good thing I didn't go out buying the transfer cable and realizing I can't transfer 70 gigs of content to a 4g HD.

Cant you just take out the hard drive and put it in the arcade console....

OCDP
11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Not with the new units. I'll see if they have any older units, save me time and money.

tha_bandit
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
does this help?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48653

almerick
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
^^Whoa that is cool

Edited: for being obvious info

tha_bandit
11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
^ just saying, cant u open the old drive casing and get this new case for it, and it should work? instead of buying an older arcade or something...

OCDP
11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Wow, that's awesome. Too bad I just got back from buying a new one. The Kinect bundles are a decent price considering, so I caved, just bought a brand new one, 250gig. This will be my last xbox I purchase, when this one goes I'm done with consoles.

I'll be selling my old hard drive once I wipe it, I'll have no need for it. I'll also sell my wireless adapter as again, no use for it. PM me if you're looking for either.

almerick
11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by tha_bandit
^ just saying, cant u open the old drive casing and get this new case for it, and it should work? instead of buying an older arcade or something...

Oh sorry, the edit meant that the info I was giving was already mentioned and obvious, I never knew about the product you posted until just now. Sorry about that!

Jetta-2.0
11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
i have a transfure cable if u want also for your answer yes you could put the old hard drive in the new one i have done it i bought the 4 gig and i put my 250 gig from my old x box in to my new one and it runs perfect

THE GOVERNATOR
11-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by OCDP

hey i have a old style (white 360) if you want it, we could figure something out. just the tray is a little sketchy. you might be able to swap trays though.

Jetta-2.0
11-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR

hey i have a old style (white 360) if you want it, we could figure something out. just the tray is a little sketchy. you might be able to swap trays though.

for the tray being sketchy thats becuase there is dust around the 2 wire things that activate the tray to open and close this happend to me and i ended up breaking the damn try lol and after breaking it i noticed it was dirty and there was a very weak energy to it:banghead:

ZMan2k2
11-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Why not go to "Game Stop" or "EB Games" and pick up an older used unit. Buy the warranty they offer, and go from there. No messing with sketchy cabling to connect the HDD and you're assured that if it dies, you're covered. Just a thought.