PDA

View Full Version : Welding Apprentice

~ThE KiD~
11-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi all, Im looking towards doing a complete career overhaul and getting into welding ideally I would eventually like to end up being an under water welder but until then I need to find some where that would be willing to actually hire me to begin my apprenticeship.

So as of right now I have learned a couple of things through trial and error.
1) Its not as easy as the guy from the apprenticeship office on McLeoud made it sound, even though places are hiring, they are not looking for any joe schmo...

2) I'm pretty sure that having tons of warehouse experience does not open doors for you in this line of work, but how would one go about opening doors if you still have yet to learn what the tools are?

3) Receptionists can be quite cruel cunts from time to time

and last but not least
4) Have to continue to be a labor bitch till at least there is a false sense of security for the employer that after you have completed the first year apprenticeship you're not going to hightail out of there...

So, would any of you guys possibly have any I guess information or have gone through this to give me a shove in the right direction?? If it helps any I do drive but I can not go out to the rigs, kind of tied down by the family but hey if the work is in or surrounding Calgary I honestly wouldn't mind driving out for the opportunity to get out of being general labor in a warehouse...

sr20s14zenki
11-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Well for one thing, its no skin off their back if you DO leave after the first year of apprenticeship, it costs them NOTHING. They need to take 5 minutes to sign you on under them, thats IT. Most shops are going to want you to be a labourer for atleast 6 months, and thats not just because they are assholes, its because they a. want to see if you have any gumption to you, and b. want you to start learning from the bottom of the totem pole up.

I started my apprenticeship at a place building garbage bins. I cut their dirty chinese steel for 6 months before they would sign me. Did all the way to 3rd year there, and then split. Now im foreman/CWB supervisor at a structural steel shop :D

Check out foremost, ABB, etc....skid shops maybe as well.

i would have tryed you out, but we just hired a labourer AND a 3rd year, so were good.

autosm
11-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Take the pre employment course at SAIT, might get you in the door? It will at least give you your first year schooling.

Or go around to welding shops armed with this.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns409-485/412/jctc-eng.html

Propak was looking recently?

PM me if you want to chat.