PDA

View Full Version : Chumpcar World Series

Dave P
11-05-2010, 09:07 AM
http://www.chumpcar.com/

May 21, 2011 @ Race City.

"Hey! Canada! Anyone up there want go REAL racing... in REALLY crappy cars? How about joining us at Race City for a spectacular Double-7 Enduro weekend? Make us proud and we'll keep coming back! Entry Deadline: 21 February 2011. Payment Deadline: 21 March 2011."

sMnhFaWM8-I

Looks effin awesome.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Holy shit, SO THERE. I love ChumpCar! Even better, if we put a Beyond entry together it would be amazing.

For the uninitiated, here's the basic breakdown of ChumpCar:

Here are the Basic Rules

* Not including the required safety equipment, your car must be valued at less than $500… not what you paid for it.
* Safety gear includes roll-cage, harness, fire bottle and other important stuff… plus helmet and driver's gear.
* Wheels and brakes are subject to the "2X" rule: that is, if the OEM cost of any part is "X," then you can spend "2X" on wheels and brakes. Just wheels and brakes… not springs and shocks.
* Tires are up to you… as long as they’re DOT legal and rated at 190 or higher for treadwear.
* ChumpCar has two (2) race formats: 24-hour endurance races or Double 7-hour Enduros. Your entry fee covers both Enduros and these are separate races, with separate winners.
* Want to make sure that you get in the race? First 50 entries are guaranteed. ChumpCar limits the number of cars on the track, so – to be safe – get it entered and get it paid!
* If you cheat or screw-up or both… you'll be docked laps. We may also get creative with the penalties, but we know that sitting around while your team stares at YOU, and other cars are still racing… well, that’s enough torment and anguish.

also, http://www.chumpcar.com/faq.php

n1zm0
11-05-2010, 10:00 AM
ohh man this is awesome, exactly like the 24 hours of Lemons in the states, but CDN lol

beyond team would be awesome for sures!

Dave P
11-05-2010, 11:24 AM
I think the most difficult part is getting a roll cage. It sucks it isnt like the old claimer cars where you could just put post's behind the seats. so much easier.

speedog
11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Holy shit, SO THERE. I love ChumpCar! Even better, if we put a Beyond entry together it would be amazing. A Beyond entry? C'mon, there's so many baller beyonders that they should be able to fill the field, no?

Penguin_Racecar
11-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I will be there, potentially as a driver. I know quite a few iceracers from Edmonton/area are planning to set up teams.

cloud7
11-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Lots of regular local road racers are considering the event. I think it would be interesting to see how people who have never raced wheel to wheel at Race City will do against experienced racers. The key is to prepare a car that would last a 7 hour race, not easy when you are preparing a car that's only worth 500 bucks. Attrition is pretty high from what I've read of the Chump Car races in the states, both from cars breaking down and people running into each other.

CSMRX7
11-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I will likely be putting together a team. Anyone else going to get involved?

lilmira
11-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Haha, where to sign up?

Vagabond142
11-12-2010, 05:53 PM
If I can find the cash to do this, I will, otherwise I'll hope to join someone's team as a pit monkey or, fingers crossed, a driver :D

m10-power
11-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
I will likely be putting together a team. Anyone else going to get involved?

Oh you know I'm there and I have some ideas on the 'right' shitbox for race city and these rules, my only problem is that alot of cash to build a one race car...that's a shitbox. Although once it's build road trips could be fun especially if we lose the track.

texasnick
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by m10-power

Oh you know I'm there and I have some ideas on the 'right' shitbox for race city and these rules, my only problem is that alot of cash to build a one race car...that's a shitbox. Although once it's build road trips could be fun especially if we lose the track.

That's the issue a couple of buddies and I are having too. It's hard to justify building a car for that much $$$ when it's going to be completely useless after we're done with chumpcar. If we can find a car that would make a suitable rally car afterwards, I think we will put a team together.

Dave P
11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I havent raced claimer in years, so I dont know the scoop if its still around, but if you guys built your cars to stay kinda in "claimer car rules" specs, you could use your cars a lot more then once.

www.claimercar.com

spikerS
11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
if someone wants to put together an a team, I am down for it.

Sil80_D
11-17-2010, 11:55 PM
awsome concept... lookin' forward to this

Penguin_Racecar
11-18-2010, 03:06 PM
For those of you who don't want to build a car for just one event, keep in mind that this is likely an event that will re-occur if Race City is available. Additionally, there is a 24 hours chumpcar race in Spokane in July 2011 (about 8-9 hours drive away), and the president of the NASCC is trying to get an event at CFB Edmonton (Namao Canadian Forces base runways).

SecondReversal
11-28-2010, 02:35 AM
Myself and two others are looking to participate in the May event at Race City, as well as other events in the north-western United States (And, if the stars align, that amazing downtown race in Ensanada Mexico race come December) - We're shy one or two other members to meet minimum driver criteria and cost sharing, however.

We're all complete novices with no real performance experience in cars (I've taken a turn or two around RC on my CBR, but never done much more than Blackfoot Trail on four wheels), but we're all interested in experiencing racing from the other side of the Grands. If you're interested, know something about wrenching, have the cash to split the initials and are willing to spend a number of weekends building a race car and driving all over hell's half acre to beat the shit out of it, shoot me a PM and perhaps we'll see if we can't hash something out, eh?

texasnick
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Woot! My team has a race car!

1977 BMW 530i....not....quite....running....yet.

See you in May, chumps!

Revhard
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Is there an opportunity to have sponsor stickers?
If I could put a big sticker(s) on the car, I'd be willing to put a cage in one. The team pays the material, I supply the labour. Would be fun to get involved.

zaider
12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Revhard
If I could put a big sticker(s) on the car, I'd be willing to put a cage in one. The team pays the material, I supply the labour. Would be fun to get involved.

Yes. Definitely. I sent you a pm over on the Western Subaru Club.

texasnick
12-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Revhard

Yes, we are looking for sponsors. I speak for the rest of the team when I say we would be HONORED to have you do fab work for us.

Revhard
12-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by texasnick

Yes, we are looking for sponsors. I speak for the rest of the team when I say we would be HONORED to have you do fab work for us.

Okay. Well, I'll need to stick to one team, I'd like to get involved .

[email protected]

I'm going to look over the rules.

Revhard
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Okay boys, I'm going with the beamer tank!:thumbsup:

HiTempguy1
12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
The 780 thread about Chump Car is bigger than this one, what gives beyonders? ;)

Myself and two friends are setting up a team. We are looking for one more person (preferably based out of Edmonton) to help us build and race a $250 Volvo 242GT I have.

We're looking forward to it, should be a blast!

texasnick
12-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Nice to hear of another team!

I know of 3 others other than ours and (now) yours. I was thinking there would be a boatload of beyond entries, but maybe people don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet.
:dunno:

At least I hope there are a lot of beyond cars.

HiTempguy1
12-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by texasnick

At least I hope there are a lot of beyond cars.

To Rage:

Is it possible to get beyond "b" stickers? Or even decals that are the exact same as the current logo (minus santa hat)?

http://forums.beyond.ca/beyond-b.png

racerjim
12-11-2010, 01:41 AM
I've been tossing around the idea, ive got my old stock car (83 GrandPrix) that has the cage and seat already done.

The 1200 entry kind of kills it off tho, even for first prize bot days it would only be 1500.

Who knows tho. i might get ambitious or a sponsor. then id be in.

zaider
12-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by racerjim
I've been tossing around the idea, ive got my old stock car (83 GrandPrix) that has the cage and seat already done.

The 1200 entry kind of kills it off tho, even for first prize bot days it would only be 1500.

Who knows tho. i might get ambitious or a sponsor. then id be in.

If you're entering chump car to make money... you're doing it wrong.

racerjim
12-14-2010, 07:11 AM
true but i think 1200 would be better wasted on a weekend in vegas then a weekend at the track. i can do that anytime for way less money.

Alpine Autowerks
12-15-2010, 08:50 PM
all the good teams mascots are already taken

Photo from ChumpCar facebook (http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=410279417345&set=a.410278622345.186029.102985012345)

HiTempguy1
12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately we had a teammate drop out, so we have a spot open on our team based in Edmonton if anyone is interested! Pm me for more info :D

gamman
12-19-2010, 11:55 PM
I am interested in joining, which car is the big one.

I love the idea of driving a bunch of ship boxes.

Can I join 3 teams?

Given attrition rates, I bet I wouldn't get 3 hours a day.

Teams pm me with offers/details on the car. I have heard of too many horror stories with unreliable rides, etc.

I have FWD, AWD, and RWD experience at race city. I have only done 20-30 minute stints before.

403 MKIV
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
If anyone is looking for another member to join their team to help with some costs and help with prep work (technical work I probably can't offer a ton...but I can be a great gopher) let me know, I have about 5 hrs of lapping at RC under my belt, I'd love to join if anyone is short, I'm out of Calgary...cheers!

gamman
01-26-2011, 02:10 PM
I have found a car, it could be fully sorted (more details to come). I just have to find teammates, everyone is kinda interested, but no one fully. Pm me with what you want to do.

We need a crew cheif, re-fueller and 3 drivers. No one has officially signed up with me. I have had some interested parties. The costs are what seems to scare people off. It's so hard to know what they will be before you have a car. But a set of tires and brakes at minimum and 20 hours of gas. All fluid changes.

I guess it's about $500-800 plus safety gear for drivers. Crew cheif and fueller may get paid a per diem or something??

403 MKIV
01-31-2011, 12:39 AM
what kind of safety gear is required? Would we be responsible for pitching in for seat/harness as well? or was that included in you $500-$800 / driver? I'm very interested but like you say, the costs scare me away a bit.

m10-power
02-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 403 MKIV
what kind of safety gear is required? Would we be responsible for pitching in for seat/harness as well? or was that included in you $500-$800 / driver? I'm very interested but like you say, the costs scare me away a bit.

Lol racing is not for you

Sil80_D
02-07-2011, 12:54 AM
^he's naive. Doesn't make him any less capable. And ambition is probably what the teams need.
Hope you find a team MK4 :)

firebat45
03-07-2011, 03:42 AM
So I'm looking for 1 more driver for my team. Like mentioned before, cost will be around $700 plus your gear. No experience needed. If you want to help with building the car, that would be fine, but if all you want to do is show up on race day that's cool too.

Price can be dropped a bit if you want to give up some seat time, ie instead of 1/4 of the race, you race 1/8th, and you pay less money.

ercchry
03-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by firebat45
So I'm looking for 1 more driver for my team. Like mentioned before, cost will be around $700 plus your gear. No experience needed. If you want to help with building the car, that would be fine, but if all you want to do is show up on race day that's cool too.

Price can be dropped a bit if you want to give up some seat time, ie instead of 1/4 of the race, you race 1/8th, and you pay less money.

what type of car? what kind of gear?

jdmgt
03-07-2011, 11:25 PM
also want to know what kind of car.

for gear.
snell 2005 or newer helmet
not sure if you need a HANS device for chump car challenge
race suit
shoes, gloves
balaclava

dont you also need your WCMA competition drivers license?

ercchry
03-07-2011, 11:30 PM
single or 3 layer suit?

jdmgt
03-07-2011, 11:55 PM
3.10.2. Neck Brace - Helmet Support: A HANS, Hutchens, or other similar, sanctioned race body-approved
racing neck brace or foam racing collar is mandatory for all drivers

3.11. Fire-Retardant Clothing:
3.11.1. Full SFI 3.2/A- or FIA 8856-2000-certified fire-retardant driving suits must be worn by all drivers
at all times while on the track. Suits may be one- or two-piece.
3.11.1.1. Mil-spec or firefighter suits are not FIA- or SFI-rated and are not approved for competition.
3.11.2. If using a single-layer SFI 3.2/A1 or 3.2/A3 suit, the driver must also wear fire-retardant SFI- or
FIA-certified long-johns and under-shirt. Multilayer suits rated SFI 3.2/A5 or higher are highly
recommended and may be worn without long-johns or under-wear.
3.11.2.1. Fire-retardant FIA- or SFI-rated socks, racing gloves and shoes are also required with all
single and/or multi-layer suits

just reading the rules now, straight from their website

ercchry
03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
i need shoes socks and long johns... but depending on the car i might be in!

95EagleAWD
03-24-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm racing on a team.. we're buildng a Windstar van with a Taurus SHO engine! :burnout: