PDA

View Full Version : Photogs Banned Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pollywog
11-05-2010, 12:57 PM
What the hell did he get banned for this time?

rage2
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/319609/reminder-conducting-business-over-pm-for-non-sponsors-/

FraserB
11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Was this the 3rd or 4th time?

Either way I guess it's the last.:nut:

shakalaka
11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
With singing up restrictions in place, I doubt he'll be coming back.

ericchoweg
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
unless he still has some active accounts:dunno:

GOnSHO
11-05-2010, 01:22 PM
didnt realize he was having advertising a company?? im sure he was just taking photos for free was he not??

v2kai
11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
my fault.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/320089/lf-photographer-for-some-holiday-photos/

FraserB
11-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I guess Quazimoto got the same treatment too

Scat E46
11-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Then shouldn't MikeBoldt be banned too? He contacted me over PM once too for shoots and a price point.

Just sayin'

shakalaka
11-05-2010, 01:37 PM
A lot of people that had some sort of service to provide did this at one point. Now that the new rules have clearly been established, it'll probably be the continuing violators that get banned. There is no need to go on a retrospective banning spree.

rage2
11-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Scat E46
Then shouldn't MikeBoldt be banned too? He contacted me over PM once too for shoots and a price point.

Just sayin'
Shoot me a PM with a screenshot of the PM. If it's after the warning was posted, then he will be banned as well.

Pretty interesting that after the first person was banned (Evolize) for soliciting business, everyone is ratting each other out.

Scat E46
11-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Wasn't after the warning, and it was on scat19 account.

Oh well. :bigpimp: :drama:

benyl
11-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Damn, things are getting strict in here... haha

R-Audi
11-05-2010, 02:01 PM
IMO rules for the photography section need to be revamped. Anyone posting a watermarked photo is basically advertising..

max_boost
11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Damn, things are getting strict in here... haha

:werd:

I thought the photography section was a bit of a gray area given we didn't have any sponsors whose business would be affected by it. :dunno:

rage2
11-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
IMO rules for the photography section need to be revamped. Anyone posting a watermarked photo is basically advertising..
You raise a very good point. We've been *very* lenient on the photography section. On one hand, a lot of members appreciate professional photogs sharing the work, and those pro photogs need to protect their work by watermarking. So in these cases, we let it slide and allow it. That may change if we start having photogs sign up as sponsors, we'll work with the sponsors on a case by case basis.

If someone sees those watermarks and deals with them directly over phone, emails, by all means that's none of our business.

What I have a problem with are the photogs that are blatantly soliciting business over the forums and over PM. That's using our services without paying. Our services that we're offering is paid for by advertising, so in essence they're stealing from everyone here.

Obviously, there's a lot of people that are still doing it, and we have no way of finding out unless there is a complaint. Like I said, the bannings seems to have started a chain reaction, and that's why there's a sudden increase of bannings over this rule.

I'm putting my foot down on this one, as it impacts our ability to provide our community with the forums, legal (we paid for a member's legal fees in a libel case), prizes, etc. The money has to come from somewhere. Agreed or not, both quasimoto and Evolize were great members. The former helping you out, and the latter offering photography services for the R8 drive. As much as it sucked to have to had ban those 2, they clearly disregarded the rule after the warnings, and that's that.

Jeremiah
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Damn. I liked their photos

rage2
11-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
Damn. I liked their photos
Agreed. They were both talented photographers.

tictactoe2004
11-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Scat E46

Just sayin'

lol at you talking about who should be banned.

R-Audi
11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Well lets hope one or both step up as sponsors! It would be nice to keep them both around.

adam c
11-05-2010, 02:28 PM
in all fairness, i didn't see that thread until you posted the link here and maybe the same for them, i don't normally go into that section unless i have to, maybe you could post a link to it on the main forums.beyond.ca page under the user area where it says view new posts etc?

edit. question, what if someone posts in the marketplace they're looking for a photographer and there's no sponsor?

beyond_ban
11-05-2010, 02:41 PM
How will they go about getting signed back up? I am guessing that neither of them wants to leave the forums for good.

syeve
11-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I hope they come back, I like both of those guys. Plus their bickering was hilarious.

Melinda
11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by adam c
edit. question, what if someone posts in the marketplace they're looking for a photographer and there's no sponsor?
I would guess that you should hope that someone on beyond is a fan of yours and suggests your work to that person.

JRSC00LUDE
11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

I would guess that you should hope that someone on beyond is a fan of yours and suggests your work to that person.

As regards there being no photography sponsor:

Melinda, not intending to stir the pot at all but I had thought at one time you were a photography sponsor, no? If not, doesn't your sig. break the rules given that it includes contact info., portfolio, pricing, etc.?

I just remember this coming up with Brad/89Coupe having his sig. deleted because it was advertising his website. It was reinstated since we wasn't soliciting business with it as I recall.

Just curiousity on my part.....

:)

max_boost
11-05-2010, 03:01 PM
To be fair, have to axe everyone with any kind of advertising lol

Pollywog
11-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Disagree. I watermark my photos as a means of claiming the photo as my own as well as finding a watermark style that I like. I don't shoot for cash, just for kicks.

max_boost
11-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

I don't shoot for cash, just for kicks.

Ya that's alright then. :D

Revhard
11-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
To be fair, have to axe everyone with any kind of advertising lol

Very true. The welding thread in performance modifications should go asap. I'm guilty. Showing off my hobby. It is still sort of advertising.
Kill the thread and then I hopefully don't have to worry about the pm's.

JRSC00LUDE
11-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Well, even though it wasn't my intent, I think I should get a mod-buster title or a user-rating back since I seem to have made Melinda's sig. disappear.

And who will police the police they say.....hah! :D

Revhard
11-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Well, even though it wasn't my intent, I think I should get a mod-buster title or a user-rating back since I seem to have made Melinda's sig. disappear.

And who will police the police they say.....hah! :D

:D

SilverGS
11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
What if you PM someone on the board you know is a photographer and ask for pricing?

tictactoe2004
11-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
What if you PM someone on the board you know is a photographer and ask for pricing?

I would suggest you PM that someone and ask them for their email address instead, then do it outside of beyond as Rage has suggested.

rage2
11-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Revhard
Very true. The welding thread in performance modifications should go asap. I'm guilty. Showing off my hobby. It is still sort of advertising.
Kill the thread and then I hopefully don't have to worry about the pm's.
Are you ratting yourself out? That'll be a first! :rofl:

Seriously, these 2 cases were VERY blatant, and were brought to our attention through complaints. Use the phone or email to conduct your business and you wont have a problem.

syeve
11-05-2010, 03:17 PM
^^Or become a sponsor. Either way.

rage2
11-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by syeve
^^Or become a sponsor. Either way.
Ya go figure. Why am I teaching ppl how to circumvent the sytem? :rofl:

I'm horrible at sales.

Wrinkly
11-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I LOVE looking at this section (I may not post that much, but I'm reading it regularly).

Hmmm - I think banning ANY of the photographers is a huge dis-service to beyond - especially in light of there not being a specific photographic 'sponsor' per se and no-ones toes are being stepped on. (if I'm wrong on that point, then please ignore this post).

It's only natural that some trading would happen as a result, it's the way the world works. Are you saying that if a user approaches a photographer, that also counts for a banning? If so, of one or both parties? Or is it just the "vendor" if caught "touting" for business?

As has been said - pretty much just being here and posting any pictures is enough to put one in that category unless remaining completely anonymous with no water marks or anything!

I, for one, am very disappointed that Evo has been banned. Smacks of someone playing favourites to me. :dunno:

Revhard
11-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Seriously, these 2 cases were VERY blatant, and were brought to our attention through complaints. Use the phone or email to conduct your business and you wont have a problem.

No. Never said I was sending or receiving pms. Just want to avoid the hassle. If the thread needs to go to achieve this, then so be it. I like beyond, I'd prefer to stay. I'm not going to post in there anymore since it is similar, and might give other members the wrong idea. Just saw this now, about the pm's and advertising thing...
I never asked to be banned, did I?

Wrinkly
11-05-2010, 03:29 PM

How is that any different if one FINDS the photographer on here?! Whether I call, email or PM, he (or she) still got the business due to exposure on beyond! All seems rather petty to me (granted, if there is a specific sponsor, then that would be different).

max_boost
11-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Take care of your business carefully. Having someone PM you is a lot different than you PMing a bunch of people offering services :D

That's probably why those 2 members got banned. :dunno:

v2kai
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Take care of your business carefully. Having someone PM you is a lot different than you PMing a bunch of people offering services :D

That's probably why those 2 members got banned. :dunno:

not in this case specifically. I requested it and they replied and one of them was recommended by others....kind of entrapment:( my bad. it's hard though cuz the site has to draw it's lines somewhere. In the case of photography it's grayer than gray.

rage2
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
Hmmm - I think banning ANY of the photographers is a huge dis-service to beyond - especially in light of there not being a specific photographic 'sponsor' per se and no-ones toes are being stepped on. (if I'm wrong on that point, then please ignore this post).
If there is no sponsor for that particular field and we let everyone at her for free, then we would never get sponsors. From my understanding, this will be changing soon.

It's only natural that some trading would happen as a result, it's the way the world works. Are you saying that if a user approaches a photographer, that also counts for a banning? If so, of one or both parties? Or is it just the "vendor" if caught "touting" for business?
A vendor that's not a sponsor can't stop people from PM'ing them. They can choose to ignore it, deal with them off of beyond, or take a risk and deal with them through our forums. If someone complains about it and shows proof to us, then they're gone.

As has been said - pretty much just being here and posting any pictures is enough to put one in that category unless remaining completely anonymous with no water marks or anything!
We've let those go over the years, as I mentioned about 10 or so posts up. Please read what I said.

I, for one, am very disappointed that Evo has been banned. Smacks of someone playing favourites to me. :dunno:
Playing favorites would be banning Evo, and letting quasi stay. From what Evo has been telling us, apparently quasi is out to get him. I dunno the details but that's what he claims, so there goes that theory.

Originally posted by Revhard
No. Never said I was sending or receiving pms. Just want to avoid the hassle. If the thread needs to go to achieve this, then so be it. I like beyond, I'd prefer to stay. I'm not going to post in there anymore since it is similar, and might give other members the wrong idea. Just saw this now, about the pm's and advertising thing...
I never asked to be banned, did I?
I was just kidding. :D

Like I said, if you're not conducting business using our forums, you have nothing to worry about. Feel free to post about your work/hobby.

How is that any different if one FINDS the photographer on here?! Whether I call, email or PM, he (or she) still got the business due to exposure on beyond! All seems rather petty to me (granted, if there is a specific sponsor, then that would be different).
We can't stop 'em all. Gotta find a balance and a line somewhere, and conducting business directly on the forums is strictly prohibited.

max_boost
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
haha

Well if anything rage2 is chill, fair and also ruthless lol

JRSC00LUDE
11-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Playing favorites would be banning Evo, and letting quasi stay. From what Evo has been telling us, apparently quasi is out to get him. I dunno the details but that's what he claims, so there goes that theory.

Maybe the favourites insinuation has to do with Melinda's photography sig. getting deleted instead of her getting the boot.

(and NO, I'm not advocating her getting in trouble lol, she's a great mod, member and all around nice girl....that's just how I read into the comment)

beyond_ban
11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
haha

Well if anything rage2 is chill, fair and also ruthless lol

The only thing is he will be ruthless to you and not only will he be smiling but you too, while you are being banned. So sneaky you don't realize you've been penetrated until it swells up and hurts the next day.

rage2
11-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Maybe the favourites insinuation has to do with Melinda's photography sig. getting deleted instead of her getting the boot.

(and NO, I'm not advocating her getting in trouble lol, she's a great mod, member and all around nice girl....that's just how I read into the comment)

To be fair, I removed that cuz I thought it'd be funny. She's a moderator, and as an exchange of services, she's allowed to have that in her sig. In conclusion, I guess I'm not that funny.

eglove
11-05-2010, 03:55 PM
what about trying to sell blow jobs through pm's? oh wait, evolize is already banned.

what about our resident car photographer mboldt? he's not a sponsor is he?

JRSC00LUDE
11-05-2010, 03:56 PM

To be fair, I removed that cuz I thought it'd be funny. She's a moderator, and as an exchange of services, she's allowed to have that in her sig. In conclusion, I guess I'm not that funny.

:rofl: NOW it's funny Rage. And here I pm'd her saying sorry cuz I thought got her in trouble! Thanks a lot asshole! haha :D

Now I want TWO points back.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-05-2010, 04:01 PM

I just remember this coming up with Brad/89Coupe having his sig. deleted because it was advertising his website. It was reinstated since we wasn't soliciting business with it as I recall.

Just curiousity on my part.....

If I remember correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do), Brad's sig was nuked by mistake, an apology was offered, and he was told he could have it back like it was.

JRSC00LUDE
11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

If I remember correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do), Brad's sig was nuked by mistake, an apology was offered, and he was told he could have it back like it was.

Which is essentially what I said in what you quoted, minus the elaboration. :)

banned3x
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I feel sorry for the kid, I was always on his nuts. He always whined about his user rating%. Can a mod bump his use rating to 100% just for kicks? Now that will be funny. :poosie:

A790
11-05-2010, 04:34 PM

It wasn't a mistake. It was nuked because non-sponsors aren't allowed to have links to their websites in their sig. Whining like a little bitch got him his sig back because he apparently isn't selling anything on his site. If that ever changes it'll get nuked again.

tictactoe2004
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by A790
It wasn't a mistake. It was nuked because non-sponsors aren't allowed to have links to their websites in their sig. Whining like a little bitch got him his sig back because he apparently isn't selling anything on his site. If that ever changes it'll get nuked again.

What about this guy then? There is a whole thread devoted to his website... I don't see 89coupes website asking for my email to be put on a mailer list. Should I remove my youtube link of my racing simulator then too?

Originally posted by GDCivicSi
I'm a bargain hunter and always looking for the best and cheapest deals. I decided to create a blog to share some of the random deals that I've come across. Check out my new blog and let me know what you think.

http://www.calgarydealsblog.com

If you know of any deals that I should add to the site, send me a PM wth the details.

Thanks

soupey
11-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Pretty interesting that after the first person was banned (Evolize) for soliciting business, everyone is ratting each other out.

hahaha, i think there's quite a few of us kicking around who didnt like how 89coupe, quazi, and evolize started flooding the photog thread (or other threads) with their opinions on how everything should be done. was a long wait to have a real reason for them to be gone.

i know i stopped posting as much because i didnt want to deal with people thinking they knew better about what i consider a pretty flexible form of art...there's no right or wrong to it.

Commanderwiggin
11-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Kinda weird considering I asked the guy to take some photos of my car a few months ago and never even got a reply...weird.

My car got all shined up with Zymol from Renee and I suck with a camera :( ow well.

:thumbsup: for Rage taking care of beyond...I have noticed its been getting cleaned up lately.

A790
11-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

What about this guy then? There is a whole thread devoted to his website... I don't see 89coupes website asking for my email to be put on a mailer list. Should I remove my youtube link of my racing simulator then too?

As far as the first guy, I'll bring it up with admin.

If you want to get theatrical go right ahead and remove your YouTube link. Obviously I won't force you to since it's a video and not a website that represents your business. Let's not compare apples and oranges here.

sr20s14zenki
11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
If i get a pm here and there asking me to weld something up, is that ok? I dont run a business, just do cheap favors
:D

Half the time its people asking me to fix their shitty nissans, so thats ok right? ;)

Dont wanna break any rules...beyond is my home away from home.

Scuderia
11-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Wow Scat_e46 really should be rat_e46. It's funny how this is a "community" and all of you turn on each other so quickly and blatantly SUGGEST people to get banned publicly in the thread. I'd hate to see what was said in the pm's where no one could see you. Quasimoto was so quiet compared to Evolize though, with Evolize you could sort of tell he did it for money and he was always making threads about shoots and offering services. I didn't even know Quasimoto did it for money, he rarely offered his services publicly. Either way, I hope the people who took the time out of their day to rat them out were close to the mods and truly cared about the forum or had some part in the revenue or administration process, because if it was just regular members who snitched....:facepalm: :facepalm:

max_boost
11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
haha I like GDCivicSi too but I think it's really simple now, if you are making money and you aren't paying, then GTFO! :drama: It's a new world order. Don't mess with rage2! :eek:

Did anyone axe redlyne_mr2's sig yet? haha

BerserkerCatSplat
11-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Which is essentially what I said in what you quoted, minus the elaboration. :)

Yeah, I was agreeing that was how I remembered the situation.

tictactoe2004
11-05-2010, 05:39 PM

As far as the first guy, I'll bring it up with admin.

If you want to get theatrical go right ahead and remove your YouTube link. Obviously I won't force you to since it's a video and not a website that represents your business. Let's not compare apples and oranges here.

The reason I bring it up is I'm also working on a website for my racing simulators and when it's done I was planning on adding it to my signature. That would make me no different than him since we'll both have websites for our hobbies. I didn't think that was considered breaking the rules.

t-im
11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia
Quasimoto was so quiet compared to Evolize though, with Evolize you could sort of tell he did it for money and he was always making threads about shoots and offering services. I didn't even know Quasimoto did it for money, he rarely offered his services publicly.
I agree with this. While I don't doubt Evolize's talent, he always managed to slip in a sort of blatant..FYI I'm a photographer and this is what I can do for you...

Mitsu3000gt
11-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Rules are rules I guess, and it was really easy to see why Evolize was banned, but Quazi never really peddled his business here. 99.99999% of his business came from places other than Beyond if I am not mistaken. My guess is he never even saw the thread with the new rules in it, I know I certainly didn't. I just learned about this rule today.

I vote for him to be unbanned in light of the fact he broke a rule he likely didn't even know existed. Aside from his funny back and forth's with 89Coupe about hawaii, he added valuable expertise to the forums and helped out R-Audi big time with his wedding.

I LOVE the no new members rule, however.

turbotrip
11-05-2010, 08:27 PM

From what Evo has been telling us, apparently quasi is out to get him. I dunno the details but that's what he claims, so there goes that theory.

lol ive heard that theory a few times too

4lti
11-05-2010, 08:34 PM
So many people ratted people out hahahah.
Kinda says alot about the person... :dunno:

kenny
11-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I'll try to address many of the questions that I've been asked re: specific cases on beyond.

GDCivicSi provides a service that many users enjoy by posting up deals. Is there money being made? Most definitely but we're okay with this as there is a net benefit for forum members.

It is a similar situation with trev0006 with all the videos. Is there a business behind it? Yes, but again it is providing a net benefit to forum members.

The difference with these examples, and why the forum admin team has chosen to allow it is because neither of these accounts directly solicit business. Everything is dealt with on a case by case basis and in most cases we see how the overall community is being affected. Could we change our position in the future? Of course, over time the situation may change.

One thing I did want to clear up is that not only are paying advertisers given permission to solicit business, but we also have many partners that exchange services with us. To name a few examples:

1. Moderating team, they provide a service to us and in return we usually grant requests for them to advertise or promote their own websites or businesses.

2. Vendors. Businesses that provide services to us (graphic design, accounting, legal, etc) may sometimes work out agreements with us where we exchange services instead of paying directly for it.

3. Other website owners. We sometimes exchange advertising when its mutually beneficial.

Hopefully this issue will be put to rest. We are not going to go out of our way to look for peple that may be circumventing our terms of use but if it is brought to our attention, we'll look into it and take action if necessary.

msommers
11-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by kenny
I'll try to address many of the questions that I've been asked re: specific cases on beyond.

GDCivicSi provides a service that many users enjoy by posting up deals. Is there money being made? Most definitely but we're okay with this as there is a net benefit for forum members.

I remember Chris (Cmyden) would post up sick flight deals and then was told he couldn't do that anymore. It was the same case. I mean shit, his website he setup doesn't even have an ad on it so I'm not sure how he could even be making money.

Now look at his sig...used to be somebody...:rofl:

Trev006's videos are sweet but his whole website is plastered with ads.

It's all a big grey area it seems. I'd rather have them all stay....

A790
11-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
The reason I bring it up is I'm also working on a website for my racing simulators and when it's done I was planning on adding it to my signature. That would make me no different than him since we'll both have websites for our hobbies. I didn't think that was considered breaking the rules.
Okay, I want to address your concerns raised here because I think it's important that we mutually understand each other.

When someone has a website where the top-left logo implies they are in the photography business (Brads Taylor Photography), and then has (admittedly) professional-looking photographs with funky electronica-background music, I can easily make a case where perhaps the website has commercial undertones.

Now, not having spoken to Brad prior to my decision to remove the link from his signature, I simply made the assumption since I couldn't tell either way and went ahead and nuked his sig. Brad, as opposed to PMing some of the mods and looking for information (and possibly explaining himself in the process) chose to make a stink about it here. Now, admittedly, I had made a false assumption and thought his website was something that it wasn't.

Bringing it back to you: should you make a website about your hobby, and leave it about you hobby without attempting to generate income from it and/or solicit business from beyond from it, there is no reason for a moderator to remove your signature. I imagine with a racing sim it is a little more black and white than a photography website, where you never really know whether or not an individual is looking for professional shoots.

So, to conclude, we (the moderators) try to keep things as fair as possible, though I ask for your understanding in that sometimes we make unpopular decisions. When things aren't crystal clear there's always someone who's going to get offended.

Evolize's banning is tantamount to that fact. He failed to follow rules, even after general notification that those rules were being enforced was given. Quazi was in the same boat. Neither banning was about favoritism, or popularity, but due to the simple fact that rules were violated. We have seen numerous long-time members banned because, at the end of the day, they broke rules that are in place and they are not above them.

I hope this clarifies my viewpoint. I wasn't intending to target anyone in particular with my earlier posts in this thread, or you for that matter.

Unknown303
11-06-2010, 10:25 AM
For the watermarks argument I'd jst like to remind everyone that you can put credits and copyright information in your EXIF data. This would eliminate any issues people may have with posting photos on Beyond. Just a thought.:dunno:

Pollywog
11-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
For the watermarks argument I'd jst like to remind everyone that you can put credits and copyright information in your EXIF data. This would eliminate any issues people may have with posting photos on Beyond. Just a thought.:dunno:

People who steal others photos have no concern for EXIF copyrights, and many can remove the EXIF data quite easily.

speedog
11-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Interesting thread. Really, none of this should be all that difficult to understand - the rules are laid out fairly clearly and if you, as a business owner or as someone who might be realizing some income from providing some type of service or product to others, aren't quite sure as to how you may or may not be able to promote said business on Beyond, then contact one of the Beyond higher-ups. Did that myself and received what I believe to be wonderful clarification of the rules.

After all, Beyond is a playground owned by someone else and if I want to play in here, then I best be understanding the rules as they might apply to my situation - the same should go for anyone else. Respect the rules and all should be okay. Certainly any of the noted banned parties were probably more than well aware that they were pushing the envelopes of posted and the above non-posted rules - with respect to non-posted/unwritten rules, just PM a moderator or two with any concerns that you may have and you'll get your answer soon enough.

tictactoe2004
11-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I hope this clarifies my viewpoint. I wasn't intending to target anyone in particular with my earlier posts in this thread, or you for that matter.

Sounds good, can't really make it more black and white than that explanation.

Isaiah
11-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I seem to be the only one who thinks Evolize deserved to be banned. Advertising and promoting his work aside, he is extremely unprofessional, has made countless and repeated racist and discriminatory comments, and is generally quite annoying and rude.

He may have been a good photographer but that doesn't excuse his immaturity and disrespectful attitude.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Save photo, open in Photoshop, Save For Web, EXIF is gone. EXIF is not, and was never designed to be, a security feature.

kvg
11-06-2010, 12:09 PM
New forum rules: Rage,Kenny, and mods get to do whatever they want, so there! :thumbsup:

shakalaka
11-06-2010, 12:10 PM
^I completely agree with Isaiah.

Infact just the other day I was thinking of pm'ing him and talking to him about the shoot he did a while back for me. Some of you may remember I posted a thread named 'Shoot in a rainy day' or something like that. I had just got the rims on my Z installed and wanted someone to take pictures of it and him being the one always on the forums replied right away. He said he had been thinking of doing some shooting in slight rain and was interested. He said he would only charge $50 and do some rolling shots and some other shots. I said fair enough it's only $50. So we met up and and he must have taken at least over 300 shots of my car, by which I was very impressed. These included some rolling shots and some shots in the industrial area. I wanted the pictures to be taken at some roof top parking in downtown but he suggested we can do that another time so I figured whatever.

So after the shoot, I paid him the money and went on my way and he promised me that he'll burn all the pictures he took on a CD for me and photoshop 20 or so best shots from the lot. Next day he texts me saying he isn't happy with the shoot as he didn't realize there was something blocking his camera lens and it has messed up most of the pictures, save 5-10. He said he would like to do another shoot asap and I was like fair enough. So the next couple of days we exchanged texts back and forth and decided on a day. I had to cancel my other obligations on that day because he apparently had no other time available. He said it was his sisters graduation that day but he should be out of it within a couple hours and then meet up with me to do the shoot. During the graduation he kept texting me saying he needs another half hour, another hour and so on. He mentioned that his family was getting upset with him because he wanted to leave.

I kinda felt bad and told him not to worry about it and just stay with the family and sister for the day. To which he was very happy and said we will arrange for the shoot another soon. This was about 3-4 months ago, I texted him numerous times after that and at first he kept saying he was really busy and eventually he stopped replying to my texts and my pm's here on beyond. I just gave up in the end thinking it's no use and it was only $50. In the end I think I have like 6-7 pictures from that day, on which he spent some time on photoshop. I even asked him to just send me the unedited pictures of my car and I can just get one of my friends to work on them in photoshop and still no reply.

I wasn't upset about $50 at all or even how he didn't check his equipment properly and messed up the shoot. I was upset at how he just completely ignored me. The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off. I was thinking of pm'ing him the other day asking for an apology, but I guess I never got around to doing that and now it's too late. Oh well anyway, I guess I am just saying that I for one don't give a shit that he's banned. I don't care how good of a photographer he was or is, his work ethics pissed the shit out of me.

/end rant

Unknown303
11-06-2010, 01:36 PM

Save photo, open in Photoshop, Save For Web, EXIF is gone. EXIF is not, and was never designed to be, a security feature.

Oohh my bad. I thought the save for web part had an option for adding generic exif data. Back to the drawing board for me. And I better go watermark some photos... :nut:

ericchoweg
11-06-2010, 02:29 PM
its cool though how beyond is getting cleaned up though

as much as we might agree or disagree with the rage and his staff

Pollywog
11-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I have a few thoughts on all of these new rules.

First off, I think the halt of any new members joining beyond was a big mistake. I have a few friends who have seen me cruising beyond at their place and have shown interest in joining - but they can't, ever. Sure it was a great temporary fix to the daily troll accounts that were created and annoyed all of us (despite some free entertainment coming from it), but in the long run I feel like this will cause a slowly less-active and flaccid forum. A lot of people I know who would like to use the forum could benefit us all, and make this forum much more active like it was years ago.

Secondly, all of these rules being enforced with no warning system has caused many of us to feel as if we have to hold back on our opinions and points of view. A lot of us are very outspoken, especially when infront of a keyboard, and the savagely forgiveless system that has been instilled on beyond has makes us fearful rather than creative and opinionated.

I do like how this place has cleaned up, but I do feel like the enforcement is borderline brutal.

Scat E46
11-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia
Wow Scat_e46 really should be rat_e46. It's funny how this is a "community" and all of you turn on each other so quickly and blatantly SUGGEST people to get banned publicly in the thread.

Ya ok guy, how do you think it even started?

It's a little 3 way battle over in the photog forum and it appeared that a certain side won with just Dave being banned.

So I just said exactly what I said - if that's the case other members should be painted with the same brush.

Mibz
11-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Other people have had their friends allowed to join after PMing rage2, I don't see why you couldn't as well. Maybe cause you're a dink. I just don't know.

Pollywog
11-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Other people have had their friends allowed to join after PMing rage2, I don't see why you couldn't as well. Maybe cause you're a dink. I just don't know.

I'm a dink? :rolleyes:

I didn't know you could ask Sheldon to allow friends to join, and haven't even asked any other mods if this was possible. Thanks kindly for the unnecessary remark though.

rage2
11-06-2010, 03:16 PM
The invite system is coming. I've been spending every free minute I have on the code, which is taking longer than expected. In the meantime if you have friends that want to join, PM me a username, and email and I'll have it setup. I'm catching up and will get em done tonight.

Since closing registration, these are the only 2 bans that I know of. There was ample warning, I was told evolize was even warned in PM as well, not sure about quasi but his was even more blatant, doing it publically when he's not a paid sponsor. Warning or not, it's a total disregard for an obvious rule.

We've never banned anyone for their opinions on here. In fact, we've worked hard to ensure that our members can express their opinions even when ppl try to take it to the courts. If you feel that we've failed you there, shoot me a PM and I'd love to hear your thoughts on where we can improve.

88jbody
11-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Evolize's banning is tantamount to that fact. He failed to follow rules, even after general notification that those rules were being enforced was given. Quazi was in the same boat. Neither banning was about favoritism, or popularity, but due to the simple fact that rules were violated. We have seen numerous long-time members banned because, at the end of the day, they broke rules that are in place and they are not above them.

though the rule was not posted in the photography section and alot of people, myself included do not look in every forum.
when this rule was added a announcement should have been made in every subsection so people knew this rule existed.

I feel the rule is more then fair, but without announcing it properly I feel the banning at this time shouldn't have been.

I know evolize personally and he had never received any warning via PM.

that said any one looking for any of the banned people I am sure a quick google search would locate their contact information or websites.

A790
11-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody

though the rule was not posted in the photography section and alot of people, myself included do not look in every forum.
when this rule was added a announcement should have been made in every subsection so people knew this rule existed.

I feel the rule is more then fair, but without announcing it properly I feel the banning at this time shouldn't have been.

I know evolize personally and he had never received any warning via PM.

that said any one looking for any of the banned people I am sure a quick google search would locate their contact information or websites.
My understanding is that Dave was warned via PM. If that was the case there is no excuse on Dave's end.

Jlude
11-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Holy! Photog section is cutthroat! :rofl: :rofl:

Don't step outta line on beyond.ca... or you'll get clipped.

I knew quasi was a photog but never saw him offer services... It was very apparent that Evolize was pushing the limits all the time.

I don't understand, he claimed to be a professional photographer making money doing car shoots and weddings and whatever else, then why didn't he just spend a few dollars on being a forum sponsor, why didn't either of them?

Mibz
11-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
I'm a dink? :rolleyes: You've been dinky, hahaha.

ryder_23
11-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
Holy! Photog section is cutthroat! :rofl: :rofl:

Don't step outta line on beyond.ca... or you'll get clipped.

I knew quasi was a photog but never saw him offer services... It was very apparent that Evolize was pushing the limits all the time.

I don't understand, he claimed to be a professional photographer making money doing car shoots and weddings and whatever else, then why didn't he just spend a few dollars on being a forum sponsor, why didn't either of them?

I remember him talking about becoming a sponsor way back with his old account I think. Then he probably realized hes getting enough business without having to pay to sponsor, so he said fuck it. Finally caught up to him I guess. I'm not too upset, he always seemed to have something to cry about. Especially in that R8 thread. Pretty much seemed like he would blow anyone just to be able to take pictures.

rage2
11-06-2010, 03:39 PM
It's been going on forever, some ppl just feel they have a right to advertise without paying. Here's a good classic one, shop doesn't exist anymore, nice trip down memory lane for the old school beyonders.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/11774/shameless-advertising/

Jlude
11-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

I remember him talking about becoming a sponsor way back with his old account I think. Then he probably realized hes getting enough business without having to pay to sponsor, so he said fuck it. Finally caught up to him I guess. I'm not too upset, he always seemed to have something to cry about. Especially in that R8 thread. Pretty much seemed like he would blow anyone just to be able to take pictures.

He was very temperamental, that's for sure.

I always wondered how he went from working in a junk yard to being a profesional photographer who gave everyone else advice but couldn't take any, in less than a year. That was pretty impressive. :rofl:

TomcoPDR
11-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Rage, you don't have to tell everyone publicly, but does this have anything to do with how Evolize stumbled upon that Crowfoot car wash charity modelling event.

And "Santa Claus" and the photo mafia put a hit out to ban Evoli on here? :dunno: :poosie:

But I do like some of his photos, pretty good stuff.

Team_Mclaren
11-06-2010, 05:54 PM

He was very temperamental, that's for sure.

I always wondered how he went from working in a junk yard to being a profesional photographer who gave everyone else advice but couldn't take any, in less than a year. That was pretty impressive. :rofl:

THIS!!! fuck Jlude we are on a row here:rofl: :rofl:

From no more than i think 8months ago he couldnt hold a fucking job for more than 2 weeks to save his life, hes now a professional photographer!!! WTF eh? I have always wondered.... :banghead:

ZorroAMG
11-06-2010, 06:46 PM
You CAN get good at something quickly, you do know that, right?

If his pics looked good, it's not a bad indication that he was a fast learner and loves photography. Not everyone needs to have 20 years in a business, be Yoda™ or whatever to be respected or considered good.

Just an FYI...

Either way, I'm glad the free advertising rules have been tightened up.

banned3x
11-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
He said he would only charge $50
/end rant

HAHAHAHA YOU GOT RIPPED OFF

he only charges $40.00

$40 for fotos (http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=240849)

its a really good stradagy,
-guy loses "$40"
-take pictures
-?????
-profit

Jlude
11-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
You CAN get good at something quickly, you do know that, right?

If his pics looked good, it's not a bad indication that he was a fast learner and loves photography. Not everyone needs to have 20 years in a business, be Yoda™ or whatever to be respected or considered good.

Just an FYI...

Either way, I'm glad the free advertising rules have been tightened up.

I completely agree that you can become good at something fairly quickly with the right attributes. He did take good photos, but it wasn't just that, the guy had the attitude of a photog with 20 yrs experience who is shooting Marisa Miller for SI after a very short time.

t-im
11-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
I seem to be the only one who thinks Evolize deserved to be banned. Advertising and promoting his work aside, he is extremely unprofessional, has made countless and repeated racist and discriminatory comments, and is generally quite annoying and rude.

He may have been a good photographer but that doesn't excuse his immaturity and disrespectful attitude.

Originally posted by ryder_23
I'm not too upset, he always seemed to have something to cry about. Especially in that R8 thread. Pretty much seemed like he would blow anyone just to be able to take pictures.
I agree with both these posts. He seemed tempermental and petty, especially towards other photographers. Just from the threads I saw him post in, he always seemed extremely paranoid/condescending/insecure about all things photography related. Not surprised he thought another photog was "out to get him."

Isaiah
11-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by banned3x
...its a really good stradagy...
Try this stradagy (http://www.geoscalgary.com/?gclid=CPWUxtXEjaUCFSdtgwodC3oSOQ)

J.M.
11-06-2010, 07:36 PM
^ ahaha

ZorroAMG
11-06-2010, 07:51 PM

I completely agree that you can become good at something fairly quickly with the right attributes. He did take good photos, but it wasn't just that, the guy had the attitude of a photog with 20 yrs experience who is shooting Marisa Miller for SI after a very short time.

Fair enough...I haven't been on here much so I didn't catch his attitude.

Tik-Tok
11-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Does this mean I have to stop PM'ing people about my stud services as gifts for their wives/girlfriends? :confused: