PDA

View Full Version : Flames take care of business

jonny
09-06-2002, 11:56 AM
The Flames actually managed to sign Iginla for a two year $13 million dollar deal. Yay. Now to wait for 2004...

James
09-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Its about damn time!:thumbsup:

Rydog
09-06-2002, 01:09 PM
yeah i just heard that too. that's kick ass. too many people are saying that he's not worth it, but I disagree. i think in order to keep a team alive for at least another two years, it's a small price to pay. tic sales should hopefully go up too since we actually have a 'marquee' player again. fuck i love hockey!!

Ben
09-06-2002, 01:14 PM
YAY IGILNA!!!!!

importadrenelin
09-06-2002, 02:06 PM
Thank god, if they didn't have him and I watched a Flames game and didn't see my brown friend skating around my ass would be chapped;)

sexualbanana
09-06-2002, 03:11 PM
i odn't think he's worth that much because he proved he was a good player, but he hasn't proved that he could do it consistently yet. u never know, it could've been a fluke

Hakkola
09-06-2002, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry, but when you get 100 points it's not a fluke. You obviously don't know hockey very well.

However, that doesn't mean he will do it again, what a lot of the pro's do is play half assed until the year their contract is up, this is when they shine, so they can score big on a new contract. If he's like most of the rest of the elite players he won't try as hard now that he has the contract and will likely have an average season.

GT2NV
09-06-2002, 05:50 PM
youve gotta be a damn good player to be one of the top scorers in the league when your stuck with the flames.... imagine if he actually played with some good players , like detroit, hed kick some ass:thumbsup:

James
09-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I'm sorry, but when you get 100 points it's not a fluke. You obviously don't know hockey very well.

Yeah Gavin dosnt know Hockey very well,( He knows it though) He proves this by coming in last in all of our hockey pools!:rofl: :thumbsup:

MYKN
09-06-2002, 06:12 PM
Thats sure some good news..I thought for sure we would have lost him this year..anyways im just happy we will have hockey in calgary for at least another 2 years :)

Ed the SOHC
09-06-2002, 06:26 PM
I'm glad they signed him... it seems like everytime we release a player, he ends up doing better somewhere else.

LowRiderHD2000
09-06-2002, 07:37 PM
Did anyone buy season tickets this year???

max_boost
09-06-2002, 10:53 PM
He is definitely worth the money.
Down to earth guy who spends lots of time with various charities etc.
What do you define as consistent? 10 years ago, 90pts was nothing, you had guys scoring 70goals and 150points.

Iggy has scored at least 28goals, 4 years in a row. That is a definite good sign. 25 years old, scoring champion, rocket richard trophy, lester b pearson and most of all, THE ONLY FLAME TO EVER LEAD THE LEAGUE IN SCORING.

Calgary can't afford Iggy, they will die with or without him, might as well die with him haha

Big_Six_Boy
09-07-2002, 01:33 AM
I haven't heard the official news yet, but "$13 Million over 2 years"?!?!? Is that in US funds??? Wow, I didn't think they Flames would bend over backwards like that...
I thought he shoulda just took the $5.5/year that Calgary was initially offering him. Now I fear he's gonna play half-assed for 2003, then kick it up a notch for 2004... :dunno:

Remember what happend with Roman Turek after signing his contract? He started dogging it the very next game, and hasn't picked up since then... :rolleyes:

Hakkola
09-07-2002, 02:07 AM
Exactly, it's a well known practice. My friends dad is scout for Columbus Blue jackets so I know all about this kind of stuff. It's a really good idea to look at which players contracts are up at the end of the season to make picks for your pools. I think Iggy will have a good season, but he won't lead the league in scoring. As for him not playing with good players that's false. Marc savard was high in the point standings, I think it was him anyway. Defence is so tight nowadays that one man on his own can't possibly carry a team unless he's a goaltender. One person can make a difference, but they can't have a hundred point season without any help. However, there is a small chance that Iggy will be a good man and continue to work hard after scoring big, but I doubt there are many players left in the NHL like that, they know if they play as hard as they can every day their career's won't be as long due to putting too much strain on their bodies.

Ohh, and yes, that's 13 million in american funds over 2 years. So basically that's like 9 million Canadian a year, minus lawyer fee's and taxes, he's got something like 5 million a year in the bank plus incentives and many from companies like Nike who's products he uses and promotes...

BarryBeach
09-07-2002, 02:17 AM
He wont play half assed, this is a guy that has averaged more then 30 goals the last 4 seasons, He's not a person that is in hockey for the money.
Last season there was an autograph sighing at the westin hotel, with a couple other flames. The flames PR rep's told him it was time to go ... he said "there's still people in line" they said "time to go now!" so He said "no"

He stayed there for 2 1/2 hours later by himself ... 'cause he wanted to have everyone walk away happy .... now that's an athlete

Tha_Shot_Caller
09-09-2002, 05:32 PM
Let me just say now that even with the addition of their only decent player, the Flames are already done. They should get ready for another disappointing season! :guns:

lammer
09-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Tha_Shot_Caller
Let me just say now that even with the addition of their only decent player, the Flames are already done. They should get ready for another disappointing season! :guns:

yeah flames are done...but if they are they will knock edmonton our of the playoffs again HAHAH!:angel:

Tha_Shot_Caller
09-09-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by lammer

yeah flames are done...but if they are they will knock edmonton our of the playoffs again HAHAH!:angel:

Nope, the Oilers are gonna role over your pathetic pretty boys and give you yet another reason to be embarrassed to be from Calgary!:thumbsdow

turkeysilk
09-09-2002, 07:44 PM

Nope, the Oilers are gonna role over your pathetic pretty boys and give you yet another reason to be embarrassed to be from Calgary!:thumbsdow

Even though Turkeysilk resides in Calgary, he is going to have to agree with Tha_Shot_Caller. The Edmonton Oilers simply run a better ship than the Calgary Flames do. I don't know if thats been going on for a while, but it is painfully clear at this point in time.

lammer
09-09-2002, 08:51 PM

hey, like i said last year the flames said if they don't make it to the playoffs the oilers won't and wow, oilers lost to calgary in a season game at the end of the season and didn't make it to the playoffs

mwmhong
09-09-2002, 11:16 PM
I'm glad Iginla is staying with the Flames, he's the best player on the team, the guy is a powerful physical specimen and walks through defensemen like no-one else can. I might actually watch more than two games! :nut:

He was SEVERELY underpaid last season, not only compared to other top NHL players, but also compared to other players on the same team, especially Mike Vernon (uselss too!). If the team doesn't pay, he'll go away, simple as that.

Isn't Iginla originally from Edmonton? :D

jonny
09-09-2002, 11:47 PM
Ya he left that dump St. Albert to come down to a real city.

lammer
09-10-2002, 12:00 AM
anyways enough with the bashing of both teams, we will find out who will do better when hockey starts!!!

Tha_Shot_Caller
09-10-2002, 12:08 AM
anyways enough with the bashing of both teams, we will find out who will do better when hockey starts!!!
We don't need to wait biatch, i think we both know that Edmonton is gonna go a whole lot further then calgary! So smarten' up bud and realize that you guys have got nothing! By the way, what's with the third jersey? A flaming horse or dragon or something.... good call idiots!

jonny
09-10-2002, 12:10 AM
:banghead:

What were we thinking?

By the way, hows all that oil drilling going?

lammer
09-10-2002, 12:13 AM

We don't need to wait biatch, i think we both know that Edmonton is gonna go a whole lot further then calgary! So smarten' up bud and realize that you guys have got nothing! By the way, what's with the third jersey? A flaming horse or dragon or something.... good call idiots!

edmonton, edmonton, edmonton.....
you think alot of things. but i think calgary will do good this year and will take edmonton. :thumbsdow flaming horse or dragon, hey it looks hella lot cooler then your cheap ass jerseys!!
look at your jerseys, a big oil rig, and you think thats something to be proud of?

Tha_Shot_Caller
09-10-2002, 12:36 AM

edmonton, edmonton, edmonton.....
you think alot of things. but i think calgary will do good this year and will take edmonton. :thumbsdow flaming horse or dragon, hey it looks hella lot cooler then your cheap ass jerseys!!
look at your jerseys, a big oil rig, and you think thats something to be proud of?

Yeah, something that you can't even tell what is, is certainly cooler then something that makes Alberta the richest province in canada, and one of the richest in north america and even the world. I'm thinkin it is something to be proud of. But hey, so is a flaming horse or dragon or whatever it is.......

Madspinner
09-10-2002, 12:46 AM
Hey I want calgary and edmonton into the playoffs ,go canadian teams . :thumbsup: So who is entering hockey pools ,and witch one.

lammer
09-10-2002, 12:46 AM
it makes alberta rich, not you. :guns:

Tha_Shot_Caller
09-10-2002, 12:50 AM
it makes alberta rich, not you. :guns:

Wow, you never cease to amaze me, you know that! You managed to change my words and warp them so that you could get out of what i said, that i was personally rich! Congrats lammer you flammer. From now on, don't do that, cuz you look like an idiot when you read something different from what i wrote!

lammer
09-10-2002, 12:57 AM

Wow, you never cease to amaze me, you know that! You managed to change my words and warp them so that you could get out of what i said, that i was personally rich! Congrats lammer you flammer. From now on, don't do that, cuz you look like an idiot when you read something different from what i wrote!

okay give me my post on where i flammed you. any please you are the one that is flamming, calling us idiots and such, I only said that flames whooped the oilers and knocked them out of the playoff race, and that we will wait to see who will make it this year and yet you are pulling out things by calling me(calgarians?:dunno: ) idiots for having a flaming horse or whatever on our jersey?..oh wait forget what i said it won't go through your thick edmontonian head anyways.

jonny
09-10-2002, 01:00 AM
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

:guns:

max_boost
09-10-2002, 01:01 AM
We will see which team is better this year

Go Flames Go!

Tha_Shot_Caller
09-11-2002, 12:18 AM

okay give me my post on where i flammed you. any please you are the one that is flamming, calling us idiots and such, I only said that flames whooped the oilers and knocked them out of the playoff race, and that we will wait to see who will make it this year and yet you are pulling out things by calling me(calgarians?:dunno: ) idiots for having a flaming horse or whatever on our jersey?..oh wait forget what i said it won't go through your thick edmontonian head anyways.

Firstly Lammer you flammer, i didn't mean you were starting fights, i meant you were a flammin homo, sorry, i'll be more clear next time. Secondly, you and the rest of calgary seems to be grasping to the fact that you "whooped" the oilers outta the playoffs, but have you forgotten that one of the oilers top player makers was out for a major portion of the season, and were behind the eight ball from that point on, so i'd say that's what kept them outta the playoffs, not a single game. Now smarten up foo!

lammer
09-11-2002, 12:34 AM

Firstly Lammer you flammer, i didn't mean you were starting fights, i meant you were a flammin homo, sorry, i'll be more clear next time. Secondly, you and the rest of calgary seems to be grasping to the fact that you "whooped" the oilers outta the playoffs, but have you forgotten that one of the oilers top player makers was out for a major portion of the season, and were behind the eight ball from that point on, so i'd say that's what kept them outta the playoffs, not a single game. Now smarten up foo!

naw, i think the only homo here is you. you take the meaning of homo and put it to a whole new level. but just because one player is out for a season shouldn't make the team perform any less. hah just face it oilers blow goats man.

Hakkola
09-11-2002, 01:27 AM
Just so you guys know, it's a horse with fire coming out of the nostrils.

Edmonton jerseys look terrible, i kinda like the team though, but of course I like Calgary better.

And as for the Edmonton vs. Calgary thing, i think in just about every way Calgary is better, i'm not gonna bother going into details. Edmonton is an alright place though, but one thing i've gotta say, I know lots of people who have moved from Edmonton to Calgary, but only one person who has moved to Edmonton, there must be a reason. Imo neither Calgary nor Edmonton is that great though, I mean, it's Alberta, there's plenty of other places I'd rather live.

turkeysilk
09-11-2002, 04:38 PM
I think we all have to face the fact that Calgary isn't going to do well anymore. We may have a pretty good season, where we're close to the playoffs, but we'll never do well again. And thats just the way it goes for the NHL, no $$, no playoffs, no cup. Also, as long as we have guys like Guatier (<-- spelling) and Berube, we'll not do well.

jonny
09-11-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by turkeysilk
I think we all have to face the fact that Calgary isn't going to do well anymore. We may have a pretty good season, where we're close to the playoffs, but we'll never do well again. And thats just the way it goes for the NHL, no $$, no playoffs, no cup. Also, as long as we have guys like Guatier (<-- spelling) and Berube, we'll not do well.

Does anyone but me remember the Carolina Hurricanes? Budget similar to Calgary and they went to the finals. Flames do have a slim chance, but its slim and none.

turkeysilk
09-11-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by jonny

Does anyone but me remember the Carolina Hurricanes? Budget similar to Calgary and they went to the finals. Flames do have a slim chance, but its slim and none.

Yes, but we only have one good player while the Huricanes had many. Francis, Brinda'mour, Kapenen, and O'Neil. Not to mention they had to go up the East end of the League, while we play the West. They play the Panthers, Lightning, Sabres, Thrashers. Even the best East team (Carolina) wouldn't even have been a match for the second best West team (Colorado).

Tha_Shot_Caller
09-11-2002, 07:35 PM

naw, i think the only homo here is you. you take the meaning of homo and put it to a whole new level. but just because one player is out for a season shouldn't make the team perform any less. hah just face it oilers blow goats man.

Good god, look at what you said you dirty skank! "blow goats"!!! Hang you head in shame! I don't think I need to comment on you being a homo, enough was said about you when you decided to say this "blow goats":thumbsdow Not only did the Oilers lose a major point provider, but leadership which are both major portions of any team that plays any sport. So yes you idiot, it will make a major difference on any team, as shown with the oilers last year.

turkeysilk
09-11-2002, 08:09 PM

Good god, look at what you said you dirty skank! "blow goats"!!! Hang you head in shame! I don't think I need to comment on you being a homo, enough was said about you when you decided to say this "blow goats":thumbsdow Not only did the Oilers lose a major point provider, but leadership which are both major portions of any team that plays any sport. So yes you idiot, it will make a major difference on any team, as shown with the oilers last year.

Although Tha_Shot_Caller may not be politcally correct, he is definetly correct on his comment. On a team such as the Flames, Oilers, and maybe even Vancouver, every player is so important. Imagine if the Flames lost Iginla for part of the season, small teams simply don't have enough good players to be able to lose one and continue on succesfully.

max_boost
09-11-2002, 08:17 PM
What are you guys arguing about?

I love Calgary but the truth is, Edmonton has been the better team for the past 6 years. It doesn't matter that the Flames spoiled the Oilers chances last year, Edmonton is still better.

Hopefully Calgary will be able to make the playoffs this year, but even if they do, I doubt they get pass the 1st round. The Western conference is very strong.

Western Conference
1. Colorado
2. Detroit
3. San Jose
4. St.Louis
5. Vancouver
6. Dallas
7. Los Angeles
8. Edmonton/Calgary/Phoenix

That is my prediction for the West.

RSeXy
09-11-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I love Calgary but the truth is, Edmonton has been the better team for the past 6 years. It doesn't matter that the Flames spoiled the Oilers chances last year, Edmonton is still better.

what?! you finally admit it? that the Oilers are better than the Flames? :D :rofl:

lammer
09-11-2002, 10:00 PM

man, i don't need your stupid ass comments, :guns: i believe that calgary will beat edmonton this year. no matter what you say.
and don't try to pull that "nice comeback" shit, cause its pretty stupid.

SoSlowDx
09-11-2002, 10:10 PM
THE FLAMES OWNZ THE OILERS:D

jonny
09-11-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
What are you guys arguing about?

Hopefully Calgary will be able to make the playoffs this year, but even if they do, I doubt they get pass the 1st round. The Western conference is very strong.

Western Conference
1. Colorado
2. Detroit
3. San Jose
4. St.Louis
5. Vancouver
6. Dallas
7. Los Angeles
8. Edmonton/Calgary/Phoenix/Dallas

That is my prediction for the West.

Holy shit Dallas gets 6th and 11th place? They're amazing!

max_boost
09-11-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by jonny

Holy shit Dallas gets 6th and 11th place? They're amazing!

oops i should edit that haha
i think dallas should bounce back after a poor campaign last year, i changed them from 11th to 6th since they signed bill guerin haha