PDA

View Full Version : Question about using iPhone while in the US

Inzane
11-05-2010, 09:53 PM
As a recent first time iPhone owner, I'm still a newb with the phone and having a data plan. I'm going to be in Seattle for a few days next week and I was wondering what I need to watch out for with respect to outrageous fees, etc. while being out of country.

I have my mobile plan with Telus.

Can I use any features of the phone and not get raped by ridiculous roaming charges?

Can I still text without fees? Should I avoid trying to connect to 3G, but still use local WiFi?

Thanks.

Godfuader
11-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Text msg plans are as per the provider. The safest bet would be airplane mode with wifi on, and use an app like Textfree. Airplane mode makes your phone into an iTouch, meaning that you do not receive any calls/texts though. Plenty of free wifi spots all over like McD's and Starbucks.

anarchy
11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Another alternative if you're there for a while is to jailbreak/unlock your phone and just purchase a Pay As You Go sim card down there to use. Not really useful if you're there for a short period of time though.

ZMan2k2
11-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Take the phone and go to
Settings->General->Network->Data Roaming.
Make sure Data roaming is turned off. This will prevent you from using the data network when out of your home area unless you answer yes to the prompt. Then you contact Telus and see if they have some sort of cellular travel pack like Rogers does. I paid $40 three months ago, when I went to Vegas. Had 70 min of local and long distance (which I used to call back to Canada) and 30 texts included in the price. When I got home, there were no other surprises on my bill, just the $40 travel pack. Well worth it.

Mitsu3000gt
11-06-2010, 06:25 PM
When I was in the USA, text messages were $0.60 each so make em count haha.

chkolny541
11-06-2010, 06:31 PM
safest bet is to enable airplane mode, as stated above and basically dont use your phone at all. roaming will own you.

Scuderia
11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Disable data roaming. I used to get fucked over everytime I travelled back and forth, there are so many different ways they get you, I think if you accept a call it costs more than if you make a call while roaming, texts are outrageous, just disable data roaming and only answer/call emergencies. Why are you asking a forum though man? Why don't you call your provider, I'm sure they can tell you exactly what to do and how to avoid any fee's, in 5 whole minutes.

Jlude
11-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Just turne your data roaming off... most areas, especially somewhere big like seattle will have tons of wifi hot spots, so you should be able to connect without a problem. Just use that as much as you can.