PDA

View Full Version : Good Singletrack around Calgary??

ekguy
11-07-2010, 11:20 AM
OK fishcreek is getting old pretty quick. Where are people going in or around Calgary for some good biking? Nothing in Fishcreek is even remotely challenging with my new bike...

Let's hear it.

Ekliptix
11-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Fish Creek is pretty expansive. I ride from Bebo Grove, and love it.

Powderface, near Elbow Falls, is a good route.

swak
11-10-2010, 08:53 AM
I ride Nose Hill for urban single-track, but you wint find any reeaalll challenging terrain inner city, you'd be best to go out to moose mtn, canmore, junping pound etc.. Not a far drive, but you'll love it 100x more!

OH, and ride COP over the summer... Do IITTTT

98type_r
11-10-2010, 09:34 AM
The only other option in the city might be Bowmont park, Nose Hill like swak said doesn't have any quality singletrack.

bigboom
11-10-2010, 10:00 AM
moose is getting pretty snow covered i was out at the nordic center last weekend and did the fyi and EKG loops. they were still in great shape.

swak
11-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks bigboom! Haven't been out to canmore since early sept. Will hopefully go one last time over the long weekend! Pretty damn stoked now!

And nose hill, actually IMO has better quality singletrack than most trails in calgary. Not challanging at all, or in the greatest shape, but its there, and I live uber close, so I take advantage if I can't get out of town.

stellerGT
11-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey guys, I dont mean to thread hijack, but since Nose Hill was mentioned, I didn't want to make a new thread.

I was just wondering what kind of Mountain bike is sufficient for riding around Nose Hill Park? I'm a noob to trail riding and I would love to give it a shot when the weather improves. I would go to nose hill to check out the terrain but its all covered in snow right now.

What should I be looking for in a mountain bike? Would a decent hardtail bike be sufficient or should I look for something with dual suspension? Maybe a dual suspension XC bike, or an all mountain bike?

Thanks in advance guys!

swak
11-21-2010, 10:05 PM
For nose hill, really any bike will do.

To be honest, if i wanted, im sure i could get away with ripping around on my track bike in there. Its not bad at all.

If you're new to cycling, buy yourself a dece hardtail, and that will get you around Canmore, Bragg Creek, Nose Hill, etc... (not that nose hill compares to the former, but hey, theres trails :D )

Ive seen guys riding everything from cheapo cdn tire mtb's to REEALLL nice xc and dh bikes.
Anything will do.

J-hop
11-21-2010, 10:20 PM

swak
11-22-2010, 08:49 AM
^THIS.

But, to be honest, last season at COP, i f-'d up my suspension riding my xc bike too hard.
Its full XT Grouppo, with equivalent grade in suspension, but trust me, you need a bike designed for DH for COP to not have any problems

J-hop
11-22-2010, 01:10 PM

revelations
11-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by swak
^THIS.

But, to be honest, last season at COP, i f-'d up my suspension riding my xc bike too hard.
Its full XT Grouppo, with equivalent grade in suspension, but trust me, you need a bike designed for DH for COP to not have any problems

I didnt know people still used this phrase... :rofl:

swak
11-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Haha.. What's so taboo about 'grouppo'?
I hear it quite a bit with people who know their bikes..

But, I guess its the roadie in me haha..

revelations
11-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Haha.. What's so taboo about 'grouppo'?
I hear it quite a bit with people who know their bikes..

But, I guess its the roadie in me haha..

There you go....roadie... thats where I remember hearing it! Lets not talk about spandex either... lol

bigboom
11-22-2010, 02:40 PM
what else do you refer to it as? :)

i refer to all my groupsets as grouppos, i run a 105 groupo and a duraace groupo on my roadbikes and then run a x0 grouppo on my mtn bike. sounds normal to me.

revelations
11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
If someone were to ask, I'd say that "I'm running XT components"...... my heydays of west coast mountain biking are far behind me so I'm probably out of touch though.

swak
11-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by revelations

There you go....roadie... thats where I remember hearing it! Lets not talk about spandex either... lol

lycra...... it's lycra :thumbsup:

stellerGT
11-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Awesome replies guys, thanks! I cant wait for spring, riding the trainer sucks.

bigboom
11-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by stellerGT
Awesome replies guys, thanks! I cant wait for spring, riding the trainer sucks.

it's still no substitute for real riding but try riding rollers instead of trainers. i used to ride a trainer but it bored me shitless, rollers on the other if you get bored and unfocused you'll end up on your ass.

swak
11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

it's still no substitute for real riding but try riding rollers instead of trainers. i used to ride a trainer but it bored me shitless, rollers on the other if you get bored and unfocused you'll end up on your ass.

He speaks the truth.

.. and get a trainer tire. Or you'll burn rubber like a fucker

ekguy
11-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Keep em coming haha. We need some bike talk to keep us going till spring time haha. Can't wait to get my Devinci nice and muddy this spring :D

stellerGT
11-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Hows the resistance on rollers? I know rollers are not really used for a workout, but great for developing a smooth spin, and a straight line. But you're right, riding a trainer is mindless, and if there isn't anything good on tv, I'm less motivated to ride haha. Do you still work up a sweat on rollers?

We should just rename this thread to the Winter Cycling Thread haha

swak
11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Its exactly like a traimer, but more of a 'free ride'
Change gears on your bike do some sprints and you'll get equally a good workout

bigboom
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by stellerGT

Hows the resistance on rollers? I know rollers are not really used for a workout, but great for developing a smooth spin, and a straight line. But you're right, riding a trainer is mindless, and if there isn't anything good on tv, I'm less motivated to ride haha. Do you still work up a sweat on rollers?

We should just rename this thread to the Winter Cycling Thread haha

i got the cycleops rollers with resistance on it, it works with a bar of magnets on the rear roller. if you can spend 20-30 minute on the rollers without sweating through your shirt there may be something wrong with your sweat glands :)
i find it to be a very good workout, sure you cant do hard sprints on it where you get out of your seat but its still a kick ass workout.

i can bang out 2 hours on my roadbike and not feel as tired as 30-40 minutes on the rollers.

swak
11-23-2010, 03:04 PM

i got the cycleops rollers with resistance on it, it works with a bar of magnets on the rear roller. if you can spend 20-30 minute on the rollers without sweating through your shirt there may be something wrong with your sweat glands :)
i find it to be a very good workout, sure you cant do hard sprints on it where you get out of your seat but its still a kick ass workout.

i can bang out 2 hours on my roadbike and not feel as tired as 30-40 minutes on the rollers.

Problem?

You shouldn't have any problems pushing hard sprints on rollers... Something may be wrong.

swak
11-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Not me... but video includes sprinting on rollers.
Will take a video sometime to prove this x2.

Utnbzwge5b0

bigboom
11-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Problem?

You shouldn't have any problems pushing hard sprints on rollers... Something may be wrong.

could be me :)

i tried it the first time i hopped on rollers and bailed...since then i havent tried again. i'll give it a sho in about 20 minutes

swak
11-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Once the weather looks a little better, anyone down to take out the MTB's and rip around Nose Hill?

My riding buds think im crazy, but i really want to 'play in the snow' haha....

bigboom
11-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Once the weather looks a little better, anyone down to take out the MTB's and rip around Nose Hill?

i'm down for it. run some studs and everything will be fine :)

i tried the stand up sprints on the rollers again and man does that ever feel "washy" might leave the stand up sprints to my trainer.

swak
11-24-2010, 11:56 AM
ahahaha... nice man.

You'll get used to it. You have e-motion rollers?

AND, to be honest, i dont have studded tires for my mtb, my idea was running the "all seasons":nut: and go nuts.

ekguy
11-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't mind some snow riding, how is it on the bikes though?

I take pretty good care of my fully.

swak
11-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

Me too, but if you just dry it off well, you should be fine!!

bigboom
11-29-2010, 11:51 AM
ahahaha... nice man.

You'll get used to it. You have e-motion rollers?

AND, to be honest, i dont have studded tires for my mtb, my idea was running the "all seasons":nut: and go nuts.

No i've got the cycleops rollers with the magnetic resistance on the rear roller.

Originally posted by ekguy

It's not bad as long as you stay off the roads and dry it after. The salt and whatever they put on the road will eat up your components pretty good, I just started commuting to work and already come spring im going to need to replace my chain and possibly rear derailleur. If you keep it to the park it will be fine, just like riding in rain.

scary_perry
12-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Just get a pass at COP if you want to ride hard stuff.

There is good stuff in the city, but it gets wrecked fast and there are fines for riding on it.

scary_perry
12-14-2010, 02:41 PM

18 years ago I put about 3000 km into my legs winter riding on nose hill. That's a great idea.

I am sticking to Fish Creek.