PDA

View Full Version : 350Z vs CLK 430

shakalaka
11-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Ok so as most of you know I have a 03 350Z. I love driving it and it's tons of fun to rip around in.

However as with everything else I get bored of things fairly quickly, so I've been thinking of changing the car. I put up a feeler add on kijiji and got tons of response but none of the cars I was interested (M3,CLK's etc).

So now finally I may have an opportunity to trade it for a 2002 Mercedes CLK 430. From what I know about the car so far, it has low km's, it's in great condition, comes with aftermarket rims (although only 17" compared to my Z's 20's aftermarket one's), winter tries etc. I am still talking to person and finding out more about the car, but in the meantime I am in two minds about if I would like to do the trade.

Basically I am just looking for opinions from people that may or may not have experience with both the cars, as to what you would do? Opinions/Comments are more than welcome and I am going to make a poll just to make it a little interesting.

rage2
11-07-2010, 06:42 PM
If you want something sporty, keep the 350z. If you want something with more luxury and comfort, then go for the CLK. 2 totally different cars IMO.

That generation CLK's feels kinda like driving a boat, even with the AMG version. This is coming from someone that loves MB cars.

Redlyne_mr2
11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Keep your 350 :)

JordanAndrew
11-07-2010, 06:58 PM
keep the 350z

shakalaka
11-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by rage2
If you want something sporty, keep the 350z. If you want something with more luxury and comfort, then go for the CLK. 2 totally different cars IMO.

That generation CLK's feels kinda like driving a boat, even with the AMG version. This is coming from someone that loves MB cars.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking. I absolutely love driving the Z and I feel that I am gonna feel depressed driving the CLK. In terms of looks I think the Z looks better, but I have always had a thing for CLK's.

But I think where I am right now in terms of age and what I find exciting in a car, the Z is probably better suited. Plus I have a lot of plans for it in terms of modifications.

That being said if I get 2000+ M3 offered, I think I will be all over them in a heartbeat.

TE4MFaint
11-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Keep the 350z.

slinkie
11-07-2010, 08:38 PM
350z probably less headaches, parts cheaper as well (aftermarket and oem) :dunno:

Xtrema
11-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
350z probably less headaches, parts cheaper as well (aftermarket and oem) :dunno:

And MB's reliability wasn't that great around those years.

kvg
11-07-2010, 10:46 PM
I think you will regret that trade if you do it.

shakalaka
11-08-2010, 10:21 PM
What do you guys think if it's a

2002 Mercedes CLK55 AMG instead of the CLK 430.

Given it's specs I am thinking it'll be as much fun to drive plus it is a Merc.

This one specifically...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2002-Mercedes-CLK55-AMG-W0QQAdIdZ231202971#

rage2
11-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
What do you guys think if it's a

2002 Mercedes CLK55 AMG instead of the CLK 430.

Given it's specs I am thinking it'll be as much fun to drive plus it is a Merc.

Originally posted by rage2

shakalaka
11-08-2010, 10:33 PM
^ Really eh...The guy in add states that it's quicker than M3's of similar years. I wonder what's he on then.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2002-Mercedes-CLK55-AMG-W0QQAdIdZ231202971

jaysas_63
11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
i owned a 2000 CLK 430 (back in 2006ish), and i absolutely loved it.

the car ended up being quite the money pit, I encountered many problems in the year i owned it. The most expensive of which was the serpentine belt/pulleys being replaced, car stereo needing repair, and sunroof needing repair.

car sounded fantastic, i loved that V8 growl, handling wasn't fantastic, but calling it a boat isn't completely fair, and at the time i owned it, it was deff a looker (in edm :rofl: ) the only thing that really bothered me was that the transmission wasn't very responsive, but you shouldn't expect too much from a 5-speed automatic anyways.

all in all i loved the car, i personally would have never considered a 350Z when purchasing the benz, they are marketed for 2 completely different demographics

EDIT:

^ Really eh...The guy in add states that it's quicker than M3's of similar years. I wonder what's he on then.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2002-Mercedes-CLK55-AMG-W0QQAdIdZ231202971

i took a e36, and a e46 head to head, and in both cases from 0-100 the benz was deff a little slower. i think if the benz had a manual gearbox it would have been a diff story.

Xtrema
11-08-2010, 10:45 PM

High 4s VS low 5s. M3 has the edge.

shakalaka
11-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
i owned a 2000 CLK 430 (back in 2006ish), and i absolutely loved it.

the car ended up being quite the money pit, I encountered many problems in the year i owned it. The most expensive of which was the serpentine belt/pulleys being replaced, car stereo needing repair, and sunroof needing repair.

car sounded fantastic, i loved that V8 growl, handling wasn't fantastic, but calling it a boat isn't completely fair, and at the time i owned it, it was deff a looker (in edm :rofl: ) the only thing that really bothered me was that the transmission wasn't very responsive, but you shouldn't expect too much from a 5-speed automatic anyways.

all in all i loved the car, i personally would have never considered a 350Z when purchasing the benz, they are marketed for 2 completely different demographics

EDIT:

i took a e36, and a e46 head to head, and in both cases from 0-100 the benz was deff a little slower. i think if the benz had a manual gearbox it would have been a diff story.

Thanks for the input. That add is of a CLK55 AMG and not a CLK430. 55 AMG has 342hp compared to the 430's 275.

I don't even know why I am bothering, considering I love driving the Z and everything. I guess I am just a little bored...I really have a short attention span when it comes to these things.

911fever
11-08-2010, 10:54 PM
the 350Z does get really boring to drive. E46 M3 is the next step up - what I'm considering this spring.
The CLK of those years handled terribly, and were pretty unreliable. I'd avoid at all costs.

rage2
11-08-2010, 11:57 PM
The CLK55 is definately faster in a straight line than the M3. I ran my E55 (basically 4 door version of CLK55 same era) against my stock e46 M3 and it was easily faster. Big TQ FTW.

I'm just making the boat reference in comparison to the 350z... if you thought the 350z was soft, the CLK is much much worse. Driven both CLK55's quite a bit (both W208 and W209) as well as the CLK63 cab, all gave me the same feeling. The W209's were a little better.

Of course, you can get the uber CLK Black Series, that one's a little bit different haha.

shakalaka
11-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Haha

Rage wanna trade either of yours for a Z? :angel:

Neil4Speed
11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
How long have you had your 350Z? If its been enough time for you to get bored with it might be worthy consideration. I have something for MB's, never really owned one personally (my dad did have one for about 15 years), but they have a special kind of appeal when you drive/ride in them - its hard to explain.

CLK430 vs 350Z, tough call, having back seats is definitely a plus, but of course they are different kinds of cars. The V8 in this car is very satisfying, but definitely not as nimble as your 350Z.

CLK55 vs 350Z, no brainer, CLK55 for sure. Just get it thoroughly inspected before purchasing as with any MB, and maybe post on a MB specific forum to see specific trouble spots. That CLK55 that you are looking at has been for sale for a long time, might be an indication of either overpriced (negotiation leverage), or something wrong with it.

shakalaka
11-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I haven't had the 350Z for that long, got it around February. But I am just bored of it for some reason. It's still a fun car to drive and I still enjoy driving it a lot, but sometimes I feel like changing it a bit.

I do like the CLK55 AMG a lot, although I wish it was a year newer. I am not a big fan of the front end of the 2002 one with that star on the hood. Although I looked online and you can get a later grille for it with the start on the grille itself and remove the hood one.

Then I'd probably have to change the headlights as well. Other than the fact that it has sorta old school looks, especially at the front, I like that car. I guess I just have to make up my mind. I am really really confused. Sometimes I feel like I should just spend money on the Z and modify it more, that'll make it look different hence making me want to keep it. Like I keep stating if it was a M3, it would be a no brainer and might have even been a no brainer with a 03 CLK because I think that's when they changed the front end of it.

rage2
11-09-2010, 11:16 AM
If acceleration is more important than handling, you'll love the CLK55. 5.4L of torque at any time. Can't go wrong.

The W209's were introduced in 2003, which has the same front lights as mine. Looks way better, but yea, prices are quite a bit higher right now for them.

freshprince1
11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
'03 CLK 430 still looks like like something an old person would have...kind of like one of those stuffed up Kleenex's Grandma's always have in their pockets. IMO if you're looking at a CLK, wait till a 2008 is realistic. Stick with the 350 for now, again, IMHO.

shakalaka
11-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Rage I noticed that, it sucks to be honest.

I couldn't understand, the one I am looking at is a 02 and the person is asking $18K or so and then i saw a 2003 one and that guy is looking for bloody $38K! It's really strange how massive the price difference is for a car just a year newer.

I am also now looking at older Corvette's like the year 1998 and plus (I know I am all over the map). What are your guy's opinion about these? Obviously in terms of driving experience and feeling the kick, they are going to be better. The only thing that bothers me about this is the year I guess. I mean I wasn't really considering anything older than 2000, plus the fact that they have higher km's.

Do you guys think that they will be still drive-able in winter? I plan to drive the Z in winters so wanted something that could be year round.

brandon
11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I'll pipe in here as I have owned a 2002 CLK 55 amg and a 2003 G35 Coupe at the same time..

I personally wouldn't go for the 430 as they have ton of computer and electrical issues! but if you're looking for the luxury touring car then the CLK is where it is at! absolutely amazing for daily driving with the comforts of a touring car and the power of a sports car!

But that being said I ended up sticking with my G35 and selling the AMG as it wasn't exactly what I had wanted! Gas prices are ridiculous if you have a heavy foot and maintenance is expensive!

Actually now that I talk about it.. I miss my AMG :( haha! As I write this I realise I am absolutely no help to this conversation!

PS: The CLK 55 handled like a dream in the winter! (with a good set of winter tires on)

shakalaka
11-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your input.

I honestly like the ClK55 AMG. In terms of power, it seems like it's got a lot. I am sure I could get used to driving them soon enough, obviously it won't handle like the Z or be as quick off the bat, but those are things you can get used to easily enough. I just can't get over the looks of it to be honest though, the front end looks really archaic. Even with the grille/badge conversion I am not sure if I'll like it enough. In terms of looks the Z looks much newer, modern and 'cooler' so to speak.

rc2002
11-09-2010, 11:42 AM
My $0.02.

I would never own a Mercedes outside of the warranty period. Period.

350Zs used to be the shit. But 287HP V6 really isn't enough to put a smile on your face anymore. They are starting to look dated and now that they are so affordable, they are everywhere. There are teenagers working at Mcdonalds driving them.

Corvette is a great car, but is definitely not winter driveable given the ground clearance. If you have to buy one, I'd opt for the C6 (2005+). There are numerous upgrades, and styling is way better.

rc2002
11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for your input.

I honestly like the ClK55 AMG. In terms of power, it seems like it's got a lot. I am sure I could get used to driving them soon enough, obviously it won't handle like the Z or be as quick off the bat, but those are things you can get used to easily enough. I just can't get over the looks of it to be honest though, the front end looks really archaic. Even with the grille/badge conversion I am not sure if I'll like it enough. In terms of looks the Z looks much newer, modern and 'cooler' so to speak.

Performance-wise, if you think the Z is superior in anyway to the CLK55 AMG then you're in for a surprise. The CLK55 will easily walk on a Z (corners or straights, and even in terms of "quickness off the bat").

shakalaka
11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I am not really looking to add any cash on the top if I do trade. So obviously I can't go anything too newer. Perhaps I should stick with my Z and try to make it more personal with modifications. Maybe I'll enjoy it more then and it'll obviously stand out than other same cars.

I was even thinking about G35's but then I figured that's essentially the same thing. I don't like that fact that they are so common either, I mean that was one of the reason I went with the Z over them in the first place. Although sometimes I wish I had two extra seats at the back, even though they are not really practical.

shakalaka
11-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Performance-wise, if you think the Z is superior in anyway to the CLK55 AMG then you're in for a surprise. The CLK55 will easily walk on a Z (corners or straights, and even in terms of "quickness off the bat").

I don't like the fact that they are automatics. But then again I could deal with that. I just wish I weren't so vain when it came to the looks of the car, especially that front end.

Kloubek
11-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, I know you've been pm'ing me but I'll put in my two bits:

VS the 430:
This really depends on what you're after, as has been said. The MB has more luxury, and it does it really well. But you say you are getting "bored" with the 350z, and a 430 is most certainly not going to be a more entertaining vehicle. Even a 500 would not be a considerable upgrade- though it is a consideration. A 55 - sure. Those things are quick and would probably be a lot of fun. As rage said - you just can't substitute torque.

If it was my choice, I would NOT consider trading for the 430. But again, it's what you are after. Personally, I'm not a fan of the MB body styles either until 2003 - where they look much more modern.

VS the Corvette:
As you stated, you'd be getting an older car. Older car will generally mean more problems. (Not that the clk series are known for their quality in any years) You're also getting American "quality" which means more squeaks and rattles, and generally lesser overall component quality. As such, you can probably expect more issues over time. Corvettes are not the most refined vehicles, so you need to understand what you'd be getting into. The interior materials are inferior to many - despite the fact it has electric everything and leather. Despite being American, some parts can be a little pricey. Tires, brakes - everything is oversize. And of course, you couldn't consider driving a Corvette in the winter.

With that aside, the Corvette is an awesome vehicle. Handling is very good, as is the power. Torque is VERY nice - these things FLY. They still look awesome despite being older. The fiberglass panels are a nice sigh of relief during hailstorms, and never rust. Impact-resistant too. The targa top is absolutely awesome in the summer time, and almost makes it feel like a convertible. C5 tops come off an on really quicky too - much better than the old C4 design.

So again, it is what you are after. If you're looking for an EXCITING car, the Corvette would certainly fit the bill. There aren't going to be a lot of cars that can match the performance and fun level of a Corvette for this kind of price. But for that excitement, you do give up refinement and perhaps some quality.

So bottom line: It's really what you are after. If you're looking for fun AND high quality refinement, a 2001+ M3 or 2004+ S4 might be more your style. (Though both command a bit of extra cash)

jaysas_63
11-09-2010, 12:14 PM

I don't like the fact that they are automatics. But then again I could deal with that. I just wish I weren't so vain when it came to the looks of the car, especially that front end.

its all personal. I despise the look of the Z, i find the silhouette awkwardly shaped making the car look small, and the styling in general lacks character, and muscle. The interior is cheap plastic galore. the one time i sat in one i felt like a kid again hahahah.

i love the CLK styling, it is dated now, but i always loved how it looked so muscular, especially with the AMG ground effects. the interior is no comparison with the Z, its chic, and everything has a substantial feel to it.

benyl
11-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

I would never own a Mercedes outside of the warranty period. Period.

:werd:

911fever
11-09-2010, 04:05 PM
even new Mercedes out of warranty? My Mom has an E60 5 series out of warranty for over a year and it's been bulletproof reliable, we had an X5 out of warranty, awesome as well.

Everlast
11-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
even new Mercedes out of warranty? My Mom has an E60 5 series out of warranty for over a year and it's been bulletproof reliable, we had an X5 out of warranty, awesome as well.

BMW?

max_boost
11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I really miss my SLK55 but the thing I don't miss is the maintenance, fuel mileage, and being out of warranty lol

$125/hour and trust me, Benz will charge you up the ass for everything.

Pretty sure all the 55 motors were the same? :dunno: 355hp 376ft.lbs torque. Very quick (relative) cars in a straight line. Very comfortable. High PIMP factor. Just a nice cruiser man.

With that said, I would still keep the Z or get one of the best all around cars, WRX! :D haha

Accord_tunerx
11-09-2010, 05:10 PM
i would keep the 350z. its a nice car, fun to drive i bet.
my friend had a c32 amg. it wasnt bad but damn when it came to fixing the car, an arm and a leg he had to give up. and this was only at 62000kms or something.

Strider
11-09-2010, 06:08 PM
I've played around with the idea of a used clk too and came to the same conclusion... the pre-'03s are just too dated and ugly and the '03+ are still too pricey.

How about newer C55?
http://www.tandthonda.ca/en/used/2005-mercedes-benz-c-class-c55-amg-sport-sedan/3629028

shakalaka
11-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I thought about the WRX's but I am 100% certain that I don't want s 4 door car. Merc's maintenance costs sounds like they might be an issue. Deffinitely dont want to get stuck with one of those cars for sure.

I know completely diff field but i wish those Jeep Srt8's weren't as new as they are. I would love to own one of them as they are a beast, excellent for winters and nice to look at. But they are still too much due to the fact that they are fairly new.

shakalaka
11-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Does anyone know off any websites where I can order some aftermarket parts for my Z, like CF hoods and such.

Every website I've checked out and spoke with want extortionate amounts for shipping. Like if the hood is $400 they want $260+ to ship it! It's ridiculous. Any Canadian websites?

benyl
11-10-2010, 12:18 AM

I know completely diff field but i wish those Jeep Srt8's weren't as new as they are. I would love to own one of them as they are a beast, excellent for winters and nice to look at. But they are still too much due to the fact that they are fairly new.

Prepare for 20+L / 100 km in the city. haha, I thought my AMG took a lot of gas.

shakalaka
11-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Yea I can imagine them to be crazy gas guzzlers, doesn't make a difference though, not like I am getting one. Haha

shakalaka
11-30-2010, 11:09 PM
I didn't want to make another thread so figured I'll just add on to this one. So as we decided I won't be trading with one of those Benz's that were mentioned earlier. And while M3 would still be my dream trade.

What do you guys think of a say 2004 BMW 330 or 325 or something? Would I be downgrading/upgrading...should I now look at trading with one of those at all?

911fever
12-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Sell your 350 and buy an M3. Don't trade.

jaysas_63
12-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I didn't want to make another thread so figured I'll just add on to this one. So as we decided I won't be trading with one of those Benz's that were mentioned earlier. And while M3 would still be my dream trade.

What do you guys think of a say 2004 BMW 330 or 325 or something? Would I be downgrading/upgrading...should I now look at trading with one of those at all?

i actually picked up an E46 325ci right after my clk430 was written off. the car was honestly the most reliable car i have ever owned, not a single problem for the year i had it. deff did not have the balls of the clk430, but with the manual transmission, it felt zippy, and i enjoyed having more control of the rpms, which i lacked in the clk430.

the interrior was nice, deff better than ur nissan IMO, but it did not feel as refined as the benz.