PDA

View Full Version : Moving Washer and Dryer to Upper Floor

Big Daddy G
11-07-2010, 10:44 PM
So we have a 2 story house and right now the washer and dryer are on the main floor, just to the right after coming in from the garage.

Been tossing around the idea of moving these upstairs for two reasons:

1) 2nd floor laundry would be much more convenient

2) Current laundry location could be turned into a decent mudroom.

Just looking for anyone who has done this or anyone who can comment on potential challenges we might encounter.

The location on the second floor is actually where our "98% of the time unused " ensuite soaker tub is located. We would be pulling that out and putting the washer and dryer there and putting some bifold doors or something. That way the water and drain system is already in place and shouldn't need to make too many plumbing alterations.

Let me know your thoughts!

garnet
11-07-2010, 11:02 PM
the plumbing basics being there is a good start, the other consideration is the installation of a proper (to exterior) dryer vent, and a 120/240 plug for the dryer
if was a jetted tub, it may already have its own dedicated breaker

when pulling out the soaker tub you may find some sub-flooring needs to be put in, personally i would over build here, to support the weight and movement

i have sometimes found there is structural cutting that has been done under an upper floor tub, sometimes drain clearance or even hvac clearance, but this can be reinforced before closing in the floor

also consider building in the floor for some water protection, meaning any leaks cant run out under the baseboard and damage ceilings/walls below

on a recent bathroom renovation i had to build it exactly this way, to ensure against future problems

broken_legs
11-07-2010, 11:04 PM
just did this... it was super easy.

Instead of relocating, we added another washer and dryer upstairs because we are suiting the downstairs. I turned an adjacent hallway closet into part of teh bathroom, then turned this new part of the room into the new place for a stacker washer dryer.

Downstairs is currently unfinished so it made it very easy.

The basics are this:

You will need to add a VENT for teh drain
You will need to add a 1.5" drain PVC pipe
add 240 AC and 120AC for the washer/dryer
You will need to run hot/cold water to the new location (Just use shark bites and pex pipe SOOOOOOOOO EASY!!!)

As far as the drain, all you need to do is run it straight down, then parallel to joist until you tie into the main drain.

Keep in mind you need a 1/4" drop every foot for proper drainiage. If you dont have the vent, it wont drain either. The best way is to add a vent to the attic, or i believe there are some new styles that are approved that vent into the room//?

Anyhoo, hope that helps somewhat. It's not that initmidating.

Also keep in mind that you need to have enough space on your breaker for another 240 line.

Hope that helps.

b

EDIT: dont forget the dryer vent! lol AND DONT VENT THE DRYER INTO THE ATTIC!

black_shadow_18
11-08-2010, 09:13 PM
You also are supposed to have a floor drain in an upper floor laundry incase of "leaks,spills,failures,etc.)