PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish you had in your home.

Pages : [1] 2

89coupe
11-08-2010, 03:50 PM
If could do it all over again, what are the things you would have had in your home?

TheCheff
11-08-2010, 03:53 PM
steam-shower :banghead:

drtoohotty1
11-08-2010, 03:54 PM
are we talking if i also had an infinite budget? if so then i would have a dedicated shop on my land in the country to fit at least 5 cars and 2 lifts :D :bigpimp:

Kloubek
11-08-2010, 03:55 PM
A whore.

89coupe
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by TheCheff
steam-shower :banghead:

Whats the deal with steam showers? I don't see the use?

I thought the idea in a shower is to clean yourself, not to sweat?

LOL

JordanLotoski
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL

I also wish i did that and a heated garage floor

89coupe
11-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

I also wish i did that and a heated garage floor

I'm sure a heater in your garage would suffice, no?

JordanLotoski
11-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Yeah ill do a furnace hopefully soon, heated floor would have been better though.

89coupe
11-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Yeah ill do a furnace hopefully soon, heated floor would have been better though.

How so? Do you you like to hang in your garage with bare feet? :P

RickDaTuner
11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
A whore.

27 VIRGIN

10 WHORES

1 WET TOWEL

allllaaaa.... ahem...

:eek:

JordanLotoski
11-08-2010, 04:05 PM

Its more efficient.

89coupe
11-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Its more efficient.

Is it?

A790
11-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Is it?
Yes it is. The concrete holds the heat longer, making it more efficient in the long run versus a forced air or radiated setup.

Idratherbsidewayz
11-08-2010, 04:20 PM

LOL

Is it?

So, you made this thread to rip on everybody's choices?

Giant rain shower is one thing I will definitely put into my next place.

More on the dream side, a sound system throughout the house (including bathrooms) hooked up to my computer. Bump wicked music anytime without having to just crank my computer speakers so I can hear them everywhere.

project240
11-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by A790

Yes it is. The concrete holds the heat longer, making it more efficient in the long run versus a forced air or radiated setup.

The initial cost is quite a bit higher though than a similar radiant heater. Would probably take many years to recoup the added costs.

But, if money isn't an object I'd definitely go the same route.

89coupe
11-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I'd love to have a designated games room.

ie. Pool table, poker table, foosbal table, multiple big screens, and a sound system, as well as a wet bar, & washroom.

Sigh, unfortunately that will have to be in the next house.

silvercivicsir
11-08-2010, 05:01 PM
heated tile in all the bathrooms.. and a way PIMP kitchen with a dual fuel wolf stove, a sub zero fridge and a teppanyaki Grill.

JordanLotoski
11-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I'd love to have a designated games room.

ie. Pool table, poker table, foosbal table, multiple big screens, and a sound system, as well as a wet bar, & washroom.

Sigh, unfortunately that will have to be in the next house.

Sounds like a finished basement....jus finish your basement if its not done

89coupe
11-08-2010, 05:23 PM

Sounds like a finished basement....jus finish your basement if its not done

The house I'm building is getting a fully developed basement, still not enough room...LOL

I can't afford a house big enough to support a games room...LOL

max_boost
11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Games room would be cool.
A triple car heated garage would be cool.

C_Dave45
11-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Yup. Hydronic heating throughout all the slabwork, including the garage. As well as all through the tiled areas, instead of using electric in-floor heat.
Also I'd like to have slope and drain in each of the garage bays. Hot and cold hose bibs inside the garage.

The games room I already have. But it definitely needs good AV wiring throughout including a rack of AV servers.

you&me
11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
A proper wash bay in the garage would be sweet!

Heated floors in my ensuite.

Vacuum kick plates in the kitchen and main living areas.

Gas range with a grill.

Indoor wood-burning brick oven.

A/C.

I'm sure there's more, I'll add them as they come to me...

dannie
11-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Central Vac with the kick plates as someone else mentioned. They seem to come in handy if you have kids around.

I have dual speakers in each room of the house with seperate volume controls. I think next time I am going to amp this up a bit. I underestimated how often it would get used. I would also suggest wiring for the backyard too.

I have three sets of french doors and the person before me had remote control retractable screens on them. I would spend the $ on it again.

Pro appliances all the way. I love the dual ovens and the pro fridge. It is so useful when people are over.

Dimmer switches on all the major rooms

I had concrete countertops in my last house and granite in this one. I would take the concrete again in a heartbeat. It always looked good and seemed to withstand the abuse I put it thru a little more than the granite does.

The last house had a camera at the front door. Kind of nice if your girl is home alone and isnt sure about who is at the door.

In floor heating in the house is really nice when its cold out.

Both homes have the laundry room upstairs, I will NOT have it downstairs anymore. It is so much more convenient to have it where the majority of the laundry is at.

The last house and this one both have a killer shower system. I never understood when people said they love showering, until I had these... damn. The only thing is that this house has a large rain showerhead. It uses so much water that you almost need 2 hot water tanks or a Rannai system. But the multi shower heads, rain showerhead and the music cranked in the morning from the sound system, makes for a great start to the day.

For us women out there.... spend a little extra on the closet and do something fantastic. Lots of drawers, shoe racks, shelving etc.

roopi
11-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Heated driveway with the heated garage. No more shoveling. :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
11-08-2010, 09:28 PM
if I was building new, and using your budget:
- tankless hot water
- in floor heat for basement, garage, and garage pad outside. No ice in winter, I like.
- Bigger shower. Really super big.
- Window that opens in bathroom. Nothing like a super hot bath/shower with cool air flowing in.
- Massive garage. If we're talking City, a small triple would work. If we're talking Country, I'd like a damned barn, at least 40'x80', and a small garage for the wifes car attached to the house.
- natural gas to BBQ
- Sink in the bedroom floor laundry room.
- better sound insulation in every interior and exterior wall. probably start with quietrock drywall, and maybe go with the "green glue" clips on all walls and ceiling of bedrooms and media rooms. Solid Core interior doors for sound reasons.
- Mul-t-lock or medeco high end locks. they just feel so good every time you enter.

And the ultimate for me, if I was building new, would be to have the entire house built of Concrete instead of Lumber. ICF is probably the easiest method, and depending on your contractor, can be pretty comparable to Stick-built homes.

sxtasy
11-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
ICF

+1:thumbsup:

88CRX
11-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Bigger garage.
Heated garage.
Bigger ensuite bathroom.
Granite countertops.
Gas stove.
No vinyl siding.

benyl
11-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Yup. Hydronic heating throughout all the slabwork, including the garage. As well as all through the tiled areas, instead of using electric in-floor heat.
Also I'd like to have slope and drain in each of the garage bays. Hot and cold hose bibs inside the garage.

I like this thread. Very timely.

Right now we have the basement on one zone and the ensuite and upper bathroom on another. Might have to add the half bath on the main and the laundry. $13 sqft for that.

Do you guys know if the same system is used for the garage as the basement? The basement floor is $8 sqft for heat. That would be $6K for the garage. That isn't bad... haha

I am going to ask for a second drain the garage, I like that idea. Already have the hot and cold water to the garage.

I also like the camera for the front door.

89coupe
11-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Also wish I had more room to have my own home gym.

I've heard a lot of issues with the tankless systems, the biggest one being corrosion. Calgary has such hard water that the lines in the tankless unit start to clog full of calcium deposits.

I suggest if you do tankless that you get a water softener.

Another issue I have heard is "hot water on demand" isn't always the case. Yeh it works with one tap turned on, but two or three and you start to have issues.

My builder said if I chose to go tankless they wouldn't warranty it. So I went dual tanks instead, along with a hot water cirulation pump & a water softener.

maxomilll
11-09-2010, 01:15 AM
A big tree house, or a hut on the beach with a hammock and my surf board... fuck doing it over again, Im just going to do that.

ExtraSlow
11-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Those issues with tankless hot water can be mitigated. You can get higher volume ones to service several taps at once, and you can go with softeners, or annual maintenance, to handle that hard water issue.
I think they are a viable option.

C_Dave45
11-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by benyl

I like this thread. Very timely.

Right now we have the basement on one zone and the ensuite and upper bathroom on another. Might have to add the half bath on the main and the laundry. $13 sqft for that.

Do you guys know if the same system is used for the garage as the basement? The basement floor is $8 sqft for heat. That would be $6K for the garage. That isn't bad... haha

I am going to ask for a second drain the garage, I like that idea. Already have the hot and cold water to the garage.

I also like the camera for the front door.

Yes, its the same system. Can be the same zone as basement or a separate one. Also is MUCH cheaper to run than the electric in-floor heat that goes under tile.

topmade
11-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Sun room/deck, a few skylights, stucco or brick siding with concrete roof, higher ceilings, steam/sauna room, workout room/area in basement, laundry room upstairs, larger closets in all rooms, larger or triple attached heated garage, larger mud room, dammit everything just needs to be larger haha. Didn't know what ICF was but just did a quick search and that would be awesome to get, but I wonder how much extra that's going to cost? I'll inquire on it when we build our next new house.

ExtraSlow
11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Good call on this high ceilings. That was one feature that attracted me to the current place. 9 foot ceilings on every level, including the basement. Makes it feel so open and airy.

R-Audi
11-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Lets see...

-Oversize garage (Extra room for workbench etc)
-Heated garage
-Entertainment room in basement/Man room
-Dedicated office
-Bigger shower

freshprince1
11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Theatre Room complete with tiered seating lazy-boys. Compatible with gaming. Fridge full of Monster. Pantry full of junk food.

lint
11-09-2010, 10:11 AM
house
- 9' ceilings in the basement
- larger mud room
- washer/dryer upstairs
- wine cellar
- walk out/walk up basement

garage
- extra wide double or triple car
- floor drains
- stairway from the garage into the basement (saw this in one house and thought it was a great idea)

benyl
11-09-2010, 10:22 AM
There is a guy in Aspen that built a Man Room (cave) under the garage pad. $50K upgrade.

Tik-Tok
11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
If I could upgrade my current property

-2nd story for master bedroom/ensuite and patio with hottub
-Bigger kitchen (1950's 8'x8' isn't cutting it)
- Two double garage's instead of one triple. One for summer cars/fixing, the other for daily drivers.
- If it were allowed, thermal heating.
- Sister-in-law suite above detached garage

l/l/rX
11-09-2010, 11:03 AM

LOL

steam showers/ saunas are great when you're sick. sweat out the sickness, or even if you're feeling cold on a winter day, hop in there.

89coupe
11-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

steam showers/ saunas are great when you're sick. sweat out the sickness, or even if you're feeling cold on a winter day, hop in there.

I guess. I think a hot shower would work just as nice...lol.

On cold days I prefer sitting in front of a fireplace with a nice glass of wine:D

Certain items I see people get and never use are.

Hot Tubs
Jacuzzi Tubs
Saunas
Pool Tables
Trampolines

LOL, they are like fads, cool for a bit and eventually become dust collectors...LOL

Mar
11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Nobody said fire pole? :dunno: You guys are lame.

ExtraSlow
11-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Steam shower is good for old-school shaving too. opens up your pores.

Kavy
11-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Steam shower is good for old-school shaving too. opens up your pores.

My parents built a steam shower in their new house and whenever I visit I plan to stay at least a night just so I can use it.

It has 8 side streams (front and back) and 1 huge shower head above with a nice large base to sit down on if you want and have a steam.

Im super lasy so I turn everything on and sit down and shower, yeah I said that you can SIT DOWN and shower.

Anton
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
3 car garage.
Skylights. Have two now, one over the stairs and one in the bathroom and they definitely reduce the amount of times that I have to turn on the lights. Would like a bigger one in the bathroom next time.
Built in stereo. Also have this now and will never forego this option.

Originally posted by l/l/rX

I go to the gym and use the steamroom at the gym quite often. Would absolutely love to have one at home. Definitely in the next house.

Actually the one thing that I would do in my next house is spend a lot of money on the bathroom.

89s1
11-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Nobody said fire pole? :dunno: You guys are lame.

You have admitted to being the guy that doesn't establish himself at an intersection when turning left, and in fact said you would just sit there and let the lights cycle through....

Who's lame?

Thats what I thought.

Tik-Tok
11-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Anton
3 car garage.

It's not enough :cry: , it's never enough...

asifka
11-09-2010, 08:10 PM
-Under the counter sink.
-bigger deck.15x15 or something.
-bigger nook area
-3 car garage, or even oversized 2 car garage.

flipstah
11-09-2010, 09:11 PM
I'd be content with a two-car heated garage.

With a fire pole.

Wrinkly
11-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
A whore.

You'd better hope your wife doesn't see that ;)

Are you kidding? If I had his car in my garage - I'd want a heated floor too, so I could sit in my lawn chair with beer in hand admiring the view.

On my wish list if money were no object - I'd have one of those fancy ass glass walls to the garage so I could see my car (if the car justified it) from the house. I'd have an indoor wash bay and a lift or two and parking for at least four vehicles, plus another couple for 'stuff'.

In the 'real world', I'd just like a house that isn't riddled with problems...sigh

projekz
11-09-2010, 10:36 PM
The Playboy Mansion Grotto and hot tub:poosie:

CUG
11-10-2010, 03:43 AM
My friend had a house in Willow Park that a legitimate studio built into it in the basement. It wasn't an afterthought, nor was it hacked together, it was poured into the foundation: walls floor and ceilings with 8-10" thick high density concrete, and fully insulated with sound deadening material. It also had 9 or 10 foot ceilings, completely wired to accommodate a massive recording setup. You would walk into the massive room and get creeped out at how quiet it was.

It had a 2 massive bomb doors separating the recording room from the sound room, and the sound room from the rest of the basement. When the door to the rest of the basement was closed, you didn't even know it was there. It was easily the size of the rest of the basement. You couldn't hear a peep with the doors closed, even with 4000 watts going through 2 mains and 2 subs.

That's actually the house I would buy, never mind building anything. sigh.

sillysod
11-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I have heated glycol infloor heat in my garage. It's awesome. Always nice and warm and if I want to go play on the cars in the garage I can lay on the floor.

I have instant on-demand hot water heater in the garage for the pressure washer, only thing that I wish I put in though was:

-Sewer in detached garage :(

Tik-Tok
11-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

-Sewer in detached garage :(

Illegal unfortunately (but for good reason). I already looked into it, as my sewer line goes under my garage already (I believe it's also illegal to build a garage over a sewer line now)

prodigydud
11-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I wish we had under-cabinet lighting. We have pot lights throughout our home, and it get dark under the kitchen cabinets at night. I recall they were over $1K when quoted through our builder :(

89coupe
11-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by prodigydud
I wish we had under-cabinet lighting. We have pot lights throughout our home, and it get dark under the kitchen cabinets at night. I recall they were over $1K when quoted through our builder :(

Seriously? They are standard with my builder.:dunno:

Hardwood standard
Granite standard
9' ceilings standard
deck standard
knock down ceilings standard

benyl
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM

Seriously? They are standard with my builder.:dunno:

Hardwood standard
Granite standard
9' ceilings standard
deck standard
knock down ceilings standard

You still pay for it. haha.

That is like included maintenance on a BMW. It isn't free, just rolled into the price of the car.

mr2mike
11-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Next time just get in there or have a friend with wiring knowledge to run the wire for future consideration. Or hook it up yourself afterhours. Then it's just a matter of putting the lights in at a later date.

jdmXSI
11-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Next place we get is going to have a hot tub, a gas range stove with an abundance of counter top space, heated floors and a garage... Oh i forgot, and a back yard...

Tomaz
11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I am quite happy that I have created almost everything mentioned here!

10 car garage, underfloor heating, 12' ceilings, huge windows. Living the life baby! lol ;)

I guess I would have wanted a bigger kitchen/living room area. It's pretty small right now.

I also wish I didn't have the air hose lines disconnected in the garage!

Automatic garage opener - Sounds like a dumb thing to miss, but I never did have one.

Mar
11-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

You have admitted to being the guy that doesn't establish himself at an intersection when turning left, and in fact said you would just sit there and let the lights cycle through....

Who's lame?

Thats what I thought.

Are you the light police? What I said was that I would contact the proper sections required to get the issue fixed so that it doesn't continue to be a problem for everyone instead of being the selfish guy that just makes it work for me right now and not care if it affects anyone else.

You should go back and read what I wrote, that's what I think.

JordanLotoski
11-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Next house I'm doing a wash bay in my garage with ventilation, complete commercial system with every option you'd get in a wash bay. I also want a garage I can pull in drive down to a lower level so I can show case my car to the basement.

Ohhhh to dream

arian_ma
11-10-2010, 03:06 PM
High quality speakers in every room, with an amazing interface and ability to control which speakers play the music and such throughout the house. iPod integration would be great as well

89coupe
11-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
High quality speakers in every room, with an amazing interface and ability to control which speakers play the music and such throughout the house. iPod integration would be great as well

Check!

89coupe
11-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Next house I'm doing a wash bay in my garage with ventilation, complete commercial system with every option you'd get in a wash bay. I also want a garage I can pull in drive down to a lower level so I can show case my car to the basement.

Ohhhh to dream

That would be so cool. I did put a drain and water lines in my garage, lol, hmmm, maybe I should put waterproof drywall as well. Haha.

Tik-Tok
11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

A friends parents house had that when they built the house.... tape deck included :rofl: It was built in '82, pretty funny to see with todays technology. Though if the speaker wire was still good all they have to do is update the speakers themselves, but they haven't.

benyl
11-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Next house I'm doing a wash bay in my garage with ventilation

Do you think a bathroom fan is good enough? hahaha

Waterproof drywall... Sending an email to my sales rep now.

89s1
11-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Are you the light police? What I said was that I would contact the proper sections required to get the issue fixed so that it doesn't continue to be a problem for everyone instead of being the selfish guy that just makes it work for me right now and not care if it affects anyone else.

You should go back and read what I wrote, that's what I think.

You wrote:

Originally posted by Mar

Why not wait at the stop line and if the light does a full cycle or two without you going, call he city and let them know? They'll fix it for everyone and problem solved.

Now, let me reiterate, you are lame.

kevie88
11-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Hidden passageways.

Idratherbsidewayz
11-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
Hidden passageways.

Yeeeeaaaa!!!

And secret rooms. You could have a crazy sex toy room for when you want to get real freaky with your wife/gf, an armory, grow op, or just somewhere to completely escape.

prodigydud
11-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Check!

What kind of interface did you get? (eg. touch screen?) Where did you buy the system/"brain" to control the music? I've been seeing quotes nearing $4K for a system like that, how much was yours?

89coupe
11-11-2010, 09:36 AM

What kind of interface did you get? (eg. touch screen?) Where did you buy the system/"brain" to control the music? I've been seeing quotes nearing $4K for a system like that, how much was yours?

http://www.homeauto.com

Haven't got all the costs yet as I'm still in the design phase.

Strider
11-11-2010, 10:52 AM
In floor heating in upstairs bathrooms
A skylight in the hallway/stairway in addition to the one in the ensuite
Gas cooktop instead of ceran
Hood fan instead of bs useless downdraft vent
Dual wall oven
Bigger basement windows
Alarm panel in the master bedroom
3 car garage, or at least a bigger 2 car garage... but that doesn't happen often in inner city

shakalaka
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM

The system in our house ended up being about 10K. Check out 'Control 4'. Has iPod integration, desktop integration, radio etc etc. They give you a massive space on their server and you download music and stuff right on it. Remote controls with screens on the walls, ability to control it from your iPhone etc

And now to what I wish I had. I wish our pool was an indoor one so we didn't have to cover it for winters, thinking of covering it and making it a all season thing as it already has the provision for heated water, just like the hot tub.

dannie
11-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I thought of another small stupid thing. I hate how microwaves look on the counter. They look out of place. Have it either built in or have them make and area in the cupboards for it. Gives you more counterspace and makes it a little more appealing.

sillysod
11-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Illegal unfortunately (but for good reason). I already looked into it, as my sewer line goes under my garage already (I believe it's also illegal to build a garage over a sewer line now)

Floor drain is not legal in all areas (but some new houses have them)... but I am talking about a drain for a sink. I don't like taking stuff in the house to wash it in the laundry sink.

89coupe
11-12-2010, 10:12 AM
My new place will have a floor drain.

benyl
11-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Floor drain is not legal in all areas (but some new houses have them)... but I am talking about a drain for a sink. I don't like taking stuff in the house to wash it in the laundry sink.

Ok, I now have a drain for the double and one for the single. Putting a sink in the garage is a fabulous idea. I can then put my gojo hand cleaner where it needs to be instead of hiding in the half bath downstairs (my wife hates the orange container).

More ideas people.

sillysod
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Oh another thing I did was run air lines in the walls of the garage when I roughed it in. I have a big air compressor in the corner and it plugs into the wall using a coupling. I have a retractable hose on the ceiling between the cars and ports on the walls about every 10 ft.

I also ran cable, network, phone and alarm to the garage so I can have a plasma on and the PS3 helps keep my little guy in the garage with me but out of trouble when he gets tired of playing on cars.

I hate shit on the counters and our entire house is developed so I put our fax machine in the garage on shelf with the WIFI router. If my wife needs to send a fax she can go out to the garage and do it and I don't have to look at the ugly machine sitting on the counter somewhere.

Mar
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I hate shit on the counters and our entire house is developed so I put our fax machine in the garage on shelf with the WIFI router. If my wife needs to send a fax she can go out to the garage and do it and I don't have to look at the ugly machine sitting on the counter somewhere.

:rofl:

modpod77
11-14-2010, 06:44 AM
I want to redecorate my house with all couple designed furniture! And have my own theatre in my house!

Kritafo
11-17-2010, 07:57 AM
heated driveway...

sputnik
11-17-2010, 08:04 AM

In-slab heating in a garage is 100x better than a radiant or forced air system.

The concrete holds a TON of heat and I find that leaving the thermostat at 10C all of the times feels WAY warmer than a radiant setup set at 20C.

Once you start working on the concrete changing wheels or working under the car you will notice a huge difference.

89coupe
11-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

The concrete holds a TON of heat and I find that leaving the thermostat at 10C all of the times feels WAY warmer than a radiant setup set at 20C.

Once you start working on the concrete changing wheels or working under the car you will notice a huge difference.

I see. Its funny, I never enjoyed working on my vehicle, I just enjoyed driving it. For me a heated garage is simply a convenience for getting into a warm vehicle...haha.

Wrinkly
11-17-2010, 09:55 AM

In-slab heating IS radiant heat. ;)

I would LOVE to have that in my garage, too.

sputnik
11-17-2010, 09:56 AM

I see. Its funny, I never enjoyed working on my vehicle, I just enjoyed driving it. For me a heated garage is simply a convenience for getting into a warm vehicle...haha.

Then you definitely want in-slab heating as it is far more efficient when keeping a garage at a constant fixed ambient temperature.

89coupe
11-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Then you definitely want in-slab heating as it is far more efficient when keeping a garage at a constant fixed ambient temperature.

I wonder why they don't heat homes with heated floors instead of a furnace? Or commercial buildings?

Onassis
11-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Stripper pole, sex swing, and a grotto.

codetrap
11-17-2010, 10:09 AM

I wonder why they don't heat homes with heated floors instead of a furnace? Or commercial buildings?

Cost.

I wish that I had a raised patio stone deck, covered with a screen room with a frosted glass ceiling off the back of the house. All designed with the thought that we might add a hot tub. Then again, I'm going to build this in the spring.

Also plan on replacing all our carpets with a nice berber in the upstairs, and building a nice entertainment center this winter. Yay table saw!

Wrinkly
11-17-2010, 10:10 AM
It's likely more expensive/labour intensive, and ideally, you would not have heat under hardwood floors which are very popular now. Radiant heat is most efficient under tile or concrete. I Have it in the basement and it's so much nicer than luke warm air blowing dust all over the house.

If I ever built custom, I'd have tile and in-floor heat throughout.

benyl
11-17-2010, 10:17 AM

My parents house has it. Fucking awesome.

It is simply cost.

We are getting it in the basement. $30K to do 1200 sqft. It is another $3K for the ensuite and main bathrooms on the second floor. We are tempted to do the whole house, but with all the hardwood we have, I am not sure if it is such a good idea.

A new furnace might be, $7K for a 95% efficient one.

Most commercial buildings are heated with radiant heating. One of the condos we just sold had it in the concrete slab as well.

codetrap
11-17-2010, 10:24 AM

There's no way it'd be that expensive to run yourself. And with minimal fitting. I helped my dad put them in using very small fluorescent fixtures, and it was cheese. Very easy.

89coupe
11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by benyl

It is simply cost.

So given the cost vs time. How long do you think it would take in order for a person to benefit from the added expense?

benyl
11-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Have no idea. It would also depend on fuel costs.

There are draw backs to the system. When we have a chinook and the temp goes from -20 to +10 in a matter of hours, the latent heat in the system takes time to cool off. We had to open windows in order to keep comfortable.

You also cannot use a traditional air conditioner. You have to get something window mounted as you won't have any duct work in your house.

89coupe
11-17-2010, 11:04 AM
I can think of better ways to spend $30k on my house then installing infloor heating...LOL

The only place I think infloor heating would be nice is for bathrooms with tile, but I would go with electric pads vs hot water.

maxomilll
11-17-2010, 12:05 PM

So given the cost vs time. How long do you think it would take in order for a person to benefit from the added expense?

3 years with regular heating usage.

cam_wmh
11-17-2010, 12:25 PM

http://www.homeauto.com

Haven't got all the costs yet as I'm still in the design phase.

Do not get Fireball. We have that home media shit at our cabin. (7 years old though)

89coupe
11-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by maxomilll

3 years with regular heating usage.

Based on how many sq/ft, and what kind of savings are we talking about? Dollars wise?

89coupe
11-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

Do not get Fireball. We have that home media shit at our cabin. (7 years old though)

What is Fireball?

ATARI
11-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Triple car garage