PDA

View Full Version : Should we all be buying our cameras from Memory Express?

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I had an interesting thought about buying my next camera from Memory Express and getting the IPR plan. Now, I know that the VAST majority of cameras don't actually break at all in their life span, but nearly every single one gets dead/stuck pixels. If I take a 30 sec exposure at ISO 6400+, I can probably get a stuck pixel to appear even if they don't under any other circumstance.

After reading their entire policy, they say nothing about not honoring stuck/dead pixels, and they do have a specific section saying dead/stuck pixels are covered, but on monitors. I would assume this would be the same for sensors.

I could probably get a brand new camera every 6 months, and with a long enough IPR plan, since it protects against obsolescence and guarantees new (not refurbished) product, eventually they would have to give me whatever replaces my current model because of a couple stuck pixels.

4-year IPR on a D300s is only $269...$149 for 2 years. You know that camera is going to be replaced this summer, buy a 4 year IPR on it, pay $1400 + $269 for the D300s, wait for it to get one stuck/dead pixel which you know for sure it will have eventually, and get it replaced with a ($2000?) D400 for free a year from now when they no longer make the D300s?

Everything basically hinges on whether or not dead/stuck pixels on the image sensor count in their plan, but they do for monitors and LCDs so I don't see why not. Also under the exemptions, they do not list anything about cameras.

Thoughts on this? Think it would work?

arian_ma
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Memory Express is a good company that works hard to keep its customers happy. Don't go fucking them.

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Memory Express is a good company that works hard to keep its customers happy. Don't go fucking them.

How am I fucking them? I am paying a considerable extra amount of money for a service that protects me from anything less than a perfect product.

I could just as easily argue they are fucking a customer by charging them $250 IPR on something that has a failure rate of next to nothing. You can choose not to buy it, but they sure do push the IPR plans.

If you bought IPR on a video card, and it broke 5 times, would you feel bad having them honor the IPR more than once? I doubt it.

And what about all the stuff I bought IPR on that I never had to claim? Should they give me my money back?

If my camera never got a dead pixel, I'd never use the IPR, Simple as that.

They are willing to IPR a monitor with MILLIONS of pixels against even a single dead/stuck pixel. A camera sensor shouldn't be any different.

Super_Geo
11-09-2010, 04:10 PM

cam_wmh
11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I had an interesting thought about buying my next camera from Memory Express and getting the IPR plan. Now, I know that the VAST majority of cameras don't actually break at all in their life span, but nearly every single one gets dead/stuck pixels. If I take a 30 sec exposure at ISO 6400+, I can probably get a stuck pixel to appear even if they don't under any other circumstance.

After reading their entire policy, they say nothing about not honoring stuck/dead pixels, and they do have a specific section saying dead/stuck pixels are covered, but on monitors. I would assume this would be the same for sensors.

I could probably get a brand new camera every 6 months, and with a long enough IPR plan, since it protects against obsolescence and guarantees new (not refurbished) product, eventually they would have to give me whatever replaces my current model because of a couple stuck pixels.

4-year IPR on a D300s is only $269...$149 for 2 years. You know that camera is going to be replaced this summer, buy a 4 year IPR on it, pay $1400 + $269 for the D300s, wait for it to get one stuck/dead pixel which you know for sure it will have eventually, and get it replaced with a ($2000?) D400 for free a year from now when they no longer make the D300s?

Everything basically hinges on whether or not dead/stuck pixels on the image sensor count in their plan, but they do for monitors and LCDs so I don't see why not. Also under the exemptions, they do not list anything about cameras.

Thoughts on this? Think it would work?

As you've insinuated, their Camera Warranty Conditions obviously need to be updated. You're fully aware that this is a loop hole, and if you intend to take advantage of a local niche retailer, then I think it speaks to your moral fibre.

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

As you've insinuated, their Camera Warranty Conditions obviously need to be updated. You're fully aware that this is a loop hole, and if you intend to take advantage of a local niche retailer, then I think it speaks to your moral fibre.

Tell me how it's a loophole anymore than it is buying an IPR on notoriously unreliable product. A camera isn't GUARANTEED to have dead pixels, it's just likely - just like it's more likely for some computer components to fail than others. They are the ones pushing the IPR plans on unreliable stuff, they even use that as an argument as to why you SHOULD buy their IPR.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-09-2010, 04:24 PM

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
You guys are funny. I suppose if you bought an IPR on a product known to be unreliable in a certain area, AS RECOMMEND BY STAFF, you wouldn't claim it because you wouldn't want to fuck the company? What if it broke again, and it was covered on IPR, would you feel bad about claiming? Do you think they would offer the IPR plans if it didn't net them a huge amount of extra revenue? If you KNOW something isn't going to fail, you don't buy an IPR on it. Simple as that. If it's LIKELY to fail, you do buy an IPR on it - these are things their staff tells customers to get them to buy IPR plans, it is hardly a loophole.

cam_wmh
11-09-2010, 04:30 PM

Tell me how it's a loophole anymore than it is buying an IPR on notoriously unreliable product. A camera isn't GUARANTEED to have dead pixels, it's just likely - just like it's more likely for some computer components to fail than others. They are the ones pushing the IPR plans on unreliable stuff, they even use that as an argument as to why you SHOULD buy their IPR.

FWIW, I've been to MemEx four times in the past two months, and have only been offered IPR twice.

Nothing is guaranteed to always work. In the end, it's what helps you sleep at night.

The most basic question for you to ask yourself.
If every consumer were to take advantage of that warranty-process, would MemEx remain a viable business?

zieg
11-09-2010, 04:30 PM

Godfuader
11-09-2010, 04:36 PM
How do this scheme differ from getting a friend to "steal" your camera, and claiming it through insurance. That's what insurance is there for, right?

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 04:36 PM

FWIW, I've been to MemEx four times in the past two months, and have only been offered IPR twice.

Nothing is guaranteed to always work. In the end, it's what helps you sleep at night.

The most basic question for you to ask yourself.
If every consumer were to take advantage of that warranty-process, would MemEx remain a viable business?

Every single time, and I mean EVERY time I've been to Memory, they have offered, and even pushed their IPR. When I am standing in line they offer it to everyone else as well. I almost don't believe you that you've only been offered twice if you went there more than twice. They make a killing off IPR or they wouldn't have it.

What their own staff tells me, is that I should buy IPR on things I think are most likely to fail. They have also told me that if I need that thing replaced 50 times, it's no problem. When I ask them these specific questions, they still push the IPR plan.

I am not taking advantage of anything! They have carefully decided on a price for the IPR on any given product (i.e. camera) that they feel puts them at the advantage.

People return cameras to dealers for dead pixels ALL THE TIME. And guess what, it's a legitimate warranty issue and the camera is sent off to have pixels remapped or the camera replaced.

Pahnda
11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
I've always wondered what a Jewish Chinese person would be like; I think I've found my answer.

blitz
11-09-2010, 04:38 PM
If your IPR covered product has been discontinued or Memory Express is unable to provide the exact same product for replacement, an equivalent item with the same or similar technical specifications will be provided.

With this wording, you might get a Canon.

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
How do this scheme differ from getting a friend to "steal" your camera, and claiming it through insurance. That's what insurance is there for, right?

You have deductibles, and your premiums go up.

And, most importantly, the insurance company isn't encouraging people to do that.

Memory Express employees are the ones trying to convince me to buy IPR on notoriously unreliable product, and they are telling me that if I need it replaced 50 times it is no problem at all. Tell me how that is a loophole?

lint
11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Pahnda
I've always wondered what a Jewish Chinese person would be like; I think I've found my answer. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Why is everyone pretending to be the white knight here? It's their OWN EMPLOYEES that are encouraging me to do this. Not only do they push IPR on stuff that is extremely likely to break, they use that as a reason to convince you to buy IPR. Secondly, they say if you need it replaced 50 times or whatever, it's no problem.

Nobody has answered my question yet, that if they had IPR on something and if it broke more than once, if they would buy a new one or if they would make another claim on IPR? I bet every one of you would make a second claim, or wouldn't you because then you'd be "cheap"?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-09-2010, 04:42 PM
I've always wondered what a Jewish Chinese person would be like; I think I've found my answer.

:rofl: Game, set, match.

bcylau
11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
If you were going to complaint about a dead pixel, you might as well take out the memory card and set your camera to burst and hold the shutter. d300s are rated at 150k .... so it should take you about 416 hours to break your cam if you have never used your cam.

and that would be a less bullshit claim than some dead pixels.

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by bcylau
If you were going to complaint about a dead pixel, you might as well take out the memory card and set your camera to burst and hold the shutter. d300s are rated at 150k .... so it should take you about 416 hours to break your cam if you have never used your cam.

and that would be a less bullshit claim than some dead pixels.

So, if someone buys a monitor from them with IPR, and sees their SPECIFIC clause written in the IPR plan saying you get a new monitor if there is a single dead/stuck pixel, should they just ignore that because it would be "cheap" to take advantage of a service they paid extra for? Should they just shrug it off because it's just one pixel?

I enjoy not having to clone out dead pixels. If I can pay extra for a service that will replace my camera when I have dead pixels that annoy me, what is wrong with that?

What about people who buy a lemon of a new car and need to take it back to the dealer 50 times before the warranty is up? I guess they are cheap too so long as the things that break are not absolutely crucial to the driving experience.

turbotrip
11-09-2010, 04:50 PM

:rofl:

mboldt
11-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I owned a D300 for 3 years and now a D700 for the same length in time... I have never once encountered a dead pixel at anything short of the HiISO settings on a longer exposure (like you described). In which settings the image looks like garbage anyway.

How it basically looks to me is that you are planning on buying yourself a camera, knowing it will have pixel issues at extreme conditions (that I have never known anyone to shoot at for actual purpose), then using that to your advantage/excuse when you want the newer camera.. correct?

Most people have morals and honesty.

GL.

WhippWhapp
11-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Consumers like this fuck over the rest of us... Costco changing their return policy on tv's are just one example.

Anyhow, the OP shoots himself in the foot by musing on a forum that ME staff frequent.

arian_ma
11-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey Mistu didn't mean to insult you, there's just a huge flaw in your logic.

If my graphic card BROKE 5 times on its own accord, then shit I expect them to give me a new one because it stopped working. But my intentions on that case are clear, I want a working graphic card.

Your intentions in this case however, are to get a new product without paying for it. If you're that anal about a single dead pixel to the point that it would drive you mad if you didn't exchange it, then fine, there are deeper issues there. Personally, I couldn't give less of a crap about 10 dead pixels on my 22" monitor.

See what I mean?

Go4Long
11-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I could make my D3s have a lot of dead pixels at 100'000 iso

WhippWhapp
11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Pretty sure a stuck pixel as explained would be classified as normal "wear and tear", the same way scuffs and scratches are?

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by mboldt
I owned a D300 for 3 years and now a D700 for the same length in time... I have never once encountered a dead pixel at anything short of the HiISO settings on a longer exposure (like you described). In which settings the image looks like garbage anyway.

How it basically looks to me is that you are planning on buying yourself a camera, knowing it will have pixel issues at extreme conditions (that I have never known anyone to shoot at for actual purpose), then using that to your advantage/excuse when you want the newer camera.. correct?

GL.

You COULD jack up the ISO and try get a dead pixel, and I touched on that, but I am more concerned with the big red stuck pixel(s) in the middle of the picture frame or something. It's a pain to have to always clone that stuff out. On my current D300, I have more than one stuck pixel around ISO 1600. I had them on my old D80 after about ISO 400. That is a perfectly reasonable shooting range for those cameras, and annoying enough that I would be willing to pay extra to have the ability to get a new camera if that happened.

If anyone in this thread has ever bought warranty on an item known to be unreliable (i.e. Video card or graphics card), and would claim IPR on it if it wasn't performing like it should, you are a hypocrite.

Same thing if anyone bought a new car. How many new cars have at least one small warranty issue during their warranty period? Probably most of them. If anyone in this thread has ever driven their warrantied car back to the dealer to replace something that wasn't critical to the driving experience, you are a hypocrite.

I am not going to walk in there three times a day with my ISO 25,600 shots and get a new camera. You don't think they would catch on to that? They aren't retarded. I want to be able to PAY A CONSIDERABLE PREMIUM (something cheap people do) for the ability to get a new camera when I have stuck pixels at ISO's I regularly shoot at.

It's also possible I would never see a dead pixel.

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey Mistu didn't mean to insult you, there's just a huge flaw in your logic.

If my graphic card BROKE 5 times on its own accord, then shit I expect them to give me a new one because it stopped working. But my intentions on that case are clear, I want a working graphic card.

Your intentions in this case however, are to get a new product without paying for it. If you're that anal about a single dead pixel to the point that it would drive you mad if you didn't exchange it, then fine, there are deeper issues there. Personally, I couldn't give less of a crap about 10 dead pixels on my 22" monitor.

See what I mean?

No offense taken. I'm just passing time here at work and just wanted to post a thought I had. The bottom line here is that everyone in this thread is acting like they wouldn't make use of a warranty they paid extra for, and that is BS.

So, when your graphics card (a notoriously unreliable computer part...) broke, and you got a new one, how are you not receiving new product for free? You want a graphics card that works as good as it did they day you bought it and you paid a premium to ensure that. I want a camera sensor that works just as well as they day I bought it, and I am willing to pay a premium for that. Can you explain to me the difference there?

I also don't buy the point about being anal about a dead pixel. Memory Express THEMSELVES are the ones who have a specific clause in their IPR warranty, stating any monitor/LCD, TV, etc. that has a SINGLE dead pixel will be replaced. Why shouldn't those people be able to take their monitor back and get a new one if they paid for IPR on it? They aren't being cheap, they paid for IPR. When you buy a monitor from them (and I have) the line they use to try and sell you the IPR is that they will replace it if it even gets one dead/stuck pixel. Clearly they expect people to hold them to that.

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp
Pretty sure a stuck pixel as explained would be classified as normal "wear and tear", the same way scuffs and scratches are?

That is entirely possible with camera sensors, which is why I thought I'd post the question up here. Then I got called a Chinese Jew by a bunch of hypocrites lol.

They do, however, have a specific section in their IPR plan regarding stuck pixels for monitors, LCDs, TVs, etc. and you get an entire new unit if it has even one - it's not considered wear and tear on those items. That is in fact the sales pitch they give you to try and get you to buy their IPR on those items.

arian_ma
11-09-2010, 05:29 PM
In your post, you made it sound like you were going to go out of your way to create a flaw in the product you bought to get a new one. In my example, the graphic card died because of a manufacturer's defect.

I could, technically, set my fan speed on my gfx card at 5% when I want a new one, watch it rape itself, and go get a new one. That, IMO, is wrong, but using it as it was intended is not.

If you're using your camera as intended and getting dead pixels which bother you, then do what you gotta do. If you're going out of your way to break your shit to get new stuff, then you are being an asshole.

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 05:34 PM
In your post, you made it sound like you were going to go out of your way to create a flaw in the product you bought to get a new one. In my example, the graphic card died because of a manufacturer's defect.

I could, technically, set my fan speed on my gfx card at 5% when I want a new one, watch it rape itself, and go get a new one. That, IMO, is wrong, but using it as it was intended is not.

If you're using your camera as intended and getting dead pixels which bother you, then do what you gotta do. If you're going out of your way to break your shit to get new stuff, then you are being an asshole.

Fair enough, I re-read my first post and I was just pointing out something but it kinda sounded like that was my master plan. Again, my plan is not to walk in there every day for a new camera.

Allow me to clarify:

I want to pay a considerable premium, because of course I'm cheap, for the ability to get a new camera IF I get stuck/dead pixels at ISO's I shoot at on a regular basis. IF these stuck pixels occurred at a time when my camera was no longer sold, I would happily accept it's replacement, same as I'm sure you would have happily accepted the next best graphics card if your broken one was obsolete.

Do you still think thats immoral?

Even if I did jack up the ISO to get hot pixels (again, not the plan, but possible), I am not doing something that intentionality harms the camera. It isn't like setting the fan speed to 5% and watching your graphics card fry. Super high ISOs are there for you to use, and meant to be used as much as the end user wants to. Using them won't void the camera manufacturer warranty, but I bet cutting the fan speed voids a video card warranty.

And getting back to the whole point of this entire thread, I think as a result most people would be better off buying their cameras from Memory Express if they were cheap enough to pay a premium for the IPR.

cam_wmh
11-09-2010, 05:51 PM
If anyone in this thread has ever bought warranty on an item known to be unreliable (i.e. Video card or graphics card), and would claim IPR on it if it wasn't performing like it should, you are a hypocrite.

You identified a specific loophole in MemEx's camera warranty conditions, that other camera shops have covered. You're now applying a blanket to all warrantied products out there, as a backpeddaling measure to save face. We can all see through it.

Please just stop.

Pahnda
11-09-2010, 05:58 PM

That is entirely possible with camera sensors, which is why I thought I'd post the question up here. Then I got called a Chinese Jew by a bunch of hypocrites lol...

Jewish-Chinese damnit! :whipped:

PulsePro
11-09-2010, 06:13 PM

Jewish-Chinese damnit! :whipped:

Too bad he's Caucasian

Yes, morally, it's not an acceptable action. I don't believe that OP is intentionally trying to screw over MemX. What if he's just had bad lucks with cameras? If the one he buys doesn't cause a dead/stuck pixel, it wouldn't be an issue. However, business is business. Don't be emotionally attached to them. If he wants to take advantage of the loop-hole, so be it.

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2010, 06:31 PM

You identified a specific loophole in MemEx's camera warranty conditions, that other camera shops have covered. You're now applying a blanket to all warrantied products out there, as a backpeddaling measure to save face. We can all see through it.

Please just stop.

Are you kidding me? Assuming this "loophole" applies to sensors, they plaster it all over their website, even directly under the picture of the camera for sale.

Do you think the guys working at Memex are a bunch of retarded monkeys? I'm sure they have run into this situation before, yet they explicitly state no stuck/hot pixels on the camera product web page, without even looking into the fine print where it is explained further that the entire item is replaced. Again, I DON'T EVEN KNOW if they cover sensor hot/stuck pixels, that was another reason I made the thread.

I presented a HYPOTHETICAL situation, so it's not something I've done. There is no reason to back pedal because I haven't done anything lol. All I did was post a thought I had on an internet forum. I am fully aware that this is Beyond, where nobody has ever done anything immoral, so I didn't expect everyone to agree with me. Again, just the nature of internet forums. Everyone's immediate assumption was that I was going to go out tomorrow, buy a camera, and exchange it 17 times a day.

Everyone is breaking my balls over some stuck pixels, which happen to REALLY annoy me. Its not like I am getting this for free, I would be paying a considerable premium for this privilege. And if I don't get any stuck pixels, Memory express gets my $260 and I gambled and got nothing in return. It's not like I have nothing to lose here either. Specifically, you think a few stuck pixels is no big deal. I happen to find them incredibly annoying, especially when they are in the middle of the frame. If you bought a new car and something broke that annoyed you but wasn't crucial to driving the car, I GUARANTEE you would go get it replaced. This is exactly the same thing just on a smaller scale. You paid a huge premium for a new car so that you didn't have to worry about a damn thing for the first few years of ownership. Also how many new cars do you know that never have one single problem? So you would also be buying that car KNOWNING BEFORE HAND that something is likely to go wrong. How immoral!

My intention is CLEARLY not to see how badly I can screw over Memex. It is to see if paying a premium for a product will afford me the privilege of exchanging said product IF it begins to perform at a level less than it did when I bought it new under normal operation. That is the entire reason warranties exist, and the entire reason people want them. Memex's warranty is NOT cheap, and in return for paying that premium, they will give you new product rather than fixing it. Every camera I've owned has had stick/hot pixels in annoying places, how it is not reasonable that if I could pay extra to remove this inconvenience I would do so?

roopi
11-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Picked up my latest lense from there. They seem to have the best prices in town and a friendly staff.

ZorroAMG
11-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Someone link mem-ex execs to this page :)

PulsePro
11-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Hey Mitsu, the only reason everyone is bashing on you is because of this statement: I could probably get a BRAND NEW CAMERA EVERY 6 MONTHS, and with a long enough IPR plan, since it protects against obsolescence and guarantees new (not refurbished) product, eventually they would have to give me whatever replaces my current model because of a couple stuck pixels.

It gives the readers the impression that you want to take advantage of their loophole by getting a new camera out of it.
By also stating that dead/stuck pixels are inevitable, you most likely will be able to upgrade the camera for a newer one at their expense which = less $$ for you.

However, if you've stated that you're only looking for a replacement for something equal or better, you might have received different responses.

My 2 cents

PulsePro
11-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Let me go over this in point form for you.

Are you kidding me? Assuming this "loophole" applies to sensors, they plaster it all over their website, even directly under the picture of the camera for sale.

- They plaster it over their website to state that this is generally what their IPR plan covers. Ultimately, their plan will cover broken devices that breaks on its own accord (capacitor blowing on a board, hard drive bricks itself, etc)
However in your case, you carry the camera around and they could tell you that the stuck/dead pixels could be caused from physical damage, therefore denying your coverage.

Do you think the guys working at Memex are a bunch of retarded monkeys? Again, I DON'T EVEN KNOW if they cover sensor hot/stuck pixels, that was another reason I made the thread.

- Actually, yes I do with a few exceptions. Most employees I've dealt with weren't pretty knowledgeable with what they were selling. I've argued with a few and they usually shut up because they don't know their products extensively as I do.

I'm sure they have run into this situation before, yet they explicitly state no stuck/hot pixels on the camera product web page, without even looking into the fine print where it is explained further that the entire item is replaced.

- They can deny your coverage since there is no mention of replacing a camera from a dead pixel, therefore, the camera isn't broken. The camera is still functional.

Here's an example: You drop a hard drive, there's a ding on it but it still works fine, would they replace it? No.

or

You buy a solid state drive and the speeds started slowing down after a year. It is annoying, yes, but they won't replace it because it isn't "broken".

I presented a HYPOTHETICAL situation, so it's not something I've done. There is no reason to back pedal because I haven't done anything lol. All I did was post a thought I had on an internet forum. I am fully aware that this is Beyond, where nobody has ever done anything immoral, so I didn't expect everyone to agree with me. Again, just the nature of internet forums. Everyone's immediate assumption was that I was going to go out tomorrow, buy a camera, and exchange it 17 times a day.

- They never assumed that. Your hypothetical situation in your original post was that you were going to take advantage of their IPR by purchasing one that will last long enough for you to return your defective camera for a newer model. So you're upgrading YOUR camera at their expense which is taking advantage of their loophole. Not every company is perfect.

Go here for the full info on their IPR. http://www.memoryexpress.com/Information/IPRPrintableVersion.aspx#disclaimer

However, in the case that you DO want to take advantage of the loophole. They never state that their policy will change without notice so they can't screw you over by just changing the policy without letting you know.

Everyone is breaking my balls over some stuck pixels, which happen to REALLY annoy me. Its not like I am getting this for free, I would be paying a considerable premium for this privilege. And if I don't get any stuck pixels, Memory express gets my $260 and I gambled and got nothing in return. It's not like I have nothing to lose here either. Specifically, you think a few stuck pixels is no big deal.

- Except from your post, you aren't gambling. You clearly state that they are inevitable. You pay $260 over 4 years worth of upgrades/replacements. Which quite frankly is a small amount compared to what you would actually have to pay.

I happen to find them incredibly annoying, especially when they are in the middle of the frame. If you bought a new car and something broke that annoyed you but wasn't crucial to driving the car, I GUARANTEE you would go get it replaced.

- Everyone is different. That's just your opinion. Not everyone has experience in photography and therefore won't be able to understand how annoying it is.

This is exactly the same thing just on a smaller scale. You paid a huge premium for a new car so that you didn't have to worry about a damn thing for the first few years of ownership.

- No, you're paying a huge premium for the CAR. Not the warranty which you never stated here. However, most companies do provide warranty to cover anything that might go wrong.

Also how many new cars do you know that never have one single problem? So you would also be buying that car KNOWNING BEFORE HAND that something is likely to go wrong. How immoral!

- Let's see. My Bentley Continental, Range Rover Supercharged and Land Rover Discovery II never had a single problem. With the exception of the adaptive cruise control on the Continental (Which is an option)

My intention is CLEARLY not to see how badly I can screw over Memex. It is to see if paying a premium for a product will afford me the privilege of exchanging said product IF it begins to perform at a level less than it did when I bought it new under normal operation.

- No, warranties are to cover defective products and in no way covers a product that performs at a less than advertised level. Why do you think hard drive companies provide only UPTO #s? Up to 200mb/s read, Up to 100mb/s write. Because the drives COULD perform at a level lower than it is advertised and I can guarantee you that 100% of them do.

That is the entire reason warranties exist, and the entire reason people want them.

- To protect themselves from a defective product not to take advantage of it.

Memex's warranty is NOT cheap, and in return for paying that premium, they will give you new product rather than fixing it. Every camera I've owned has had stick/hot pixels in annoying places, how it is not reasonable that if I could pay extra to remove this inconvenience I would do so?

- It's certainly cheap compared to what you would have to pay. Like I've stated before, you're asking for a newer model of the product. If they replace it for you, great. In their IPR, they test the products and if they can't fix it, they'll replace it. Their employees are bending the truth a bit. That's why I never buy IPR from them. I just tell them that if the product breaks, it's time for me to upgrade. They always give me the "who do you think you are" look and I could really care less.

benyl
11-10-2010, 07:34 AM
I stopped reading after the 1st page.

Your "loophole" is no better than a douchebag who goes to Futureshop and buys a camera and then returns it within 30days. Then comes back the next day to buy it "Open box" and then returns it again in 30days. Then go to another future shop and start the cycle again. You could hit all the retailers with the same type of return policy and basically have use of a camera that is "future proofed" for a long time. Maybe even long enough for the next model to come out.

What you are suggesting is pure douchebagery and makes everything cost more for everyone else. Sure, you are paying a premium, but no one is asking you to do that. All cameras carry a warranty, use that and get a credit card that doubles your warranty.

PulsePro
11-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I stopped reading after the 1st page.

Your "loophole" is no better than a douchebag who goes to Futureshop and buys a camera and then returns it within 30days. Then comes back the next day to buy it "Open box" and then returns it again in 30days. Then go to another future shop and start the cycle again. You could hit all the retailers with the same type of return policy and basically have use of a camera that is "future proofed" for a long time. Maybe even long enough for the next model to come out.

What you are suggesting is pure douchebagery and makes everything cost more for everyone else. Sure, you are paying a premium, but no one is asking you to do that. All cameras carry a warranty, use that and get a credit card that doubles your warranty.

I see you haven't read my wall of text lol

soupey
11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
i know that canon doesn't guarantee good results at their H1 and H2 ISO settings, that's why u need to enable it in the custom options. Not sure how high ISO is limited in the nikon lineup. my guess is that they wont cover anything the manufacturer deems normal and/or expected at the extended ISO range.

if you are seeing a stuck pixel in the normal ISO range, then you probably should take advantage of the IPR, that's why you paid for it in the first place.

Mitsu3000gt
11-10-2010, 11:23 AM
This discussion is going nowhere so I'm not going to bother replying to things I've already covered. This is the bottom line:

1) My OP had a hypothetical situation in it, and I was hoping to get some intelligent discussion from it. Based on the responses, obviously I did not word it correctly, and instead the moral police got their panties in a bunch. Everyone seems to assume I am actually going to do this, go out tomorrow, and exchange my camera 17 times a day, without Memex catching on, and singlehandedly take them out of business. Perhaps I should not have used the word "I" so much in my OP but I figured it was obvious that my plan is not to go out and see how bad I can screw over Memory Express. Think that if you wish, but that is absolutely not my intention, and the store would catch on instantly.

2) If I buy whatever replaces the D300s from Memory Express, and if I buy their IPR (which I'm sure the sales person will try and convince me to do as with everything else), I would use it to get a new camera if I had stuck/hot pixels in conditions I shoot in. Nikon warranties hot pixels, so clearly it's recognized as a legitimate issue. I want to pay a premium (IPR plan) to avoid the down time associated with sending my camera away for repair if I get hot pixels, which I may never even get, and avoid having them mapped out rather than fixed. I've always had hot pixels on my cameras, but other people have replied here saying they've never had any - so its clearly a gamble.

3) I would explain this all to the Memex people, and if they told me I couldn't do the above, I wouldn't buy the IPR. Simple as that. Every time I buy IPR from them on other stuff, I present them with all sorts of situations and see if they are covered - if it is to my satisfaction, I pay for the IPR. If they wanted to just send my camera off for repair like I could do myself to Nikon, I would have no need for the IPR.

Hopefully that makes things a little more clear.:drama:

Originally posted by soupey
i know that canon doesn't guarantee good results at their H1 and H2 ISO settings, that's why u need to enable it in the custom options. Not sure how high ISO is limited in the nikon lineup. my guess is that they wont cover anything the manufacturer deems normal and/or expected at the extended ISO range.

if you are seeing a stuck pixel in the normal ISO range, then you probably should take advantage of the IPR, that's why you paid for it in the first place.

Thank you. That is PRECISELY my plan. Finally someone who understands what I am saying lol.

Also, you don't have to enable H1, H2, etc. in Nikon, it's just there. I wouldn't expect them to IPR a 30 sec exposure at ISO 100,000, I just mentioned that in my OP as an extreme example for my hypothetical situation. It got taken the wrong way, and it was my fault for not making my intentions more clear.

ericchoweg
11-10-2010, 11:35 AM

R-Audi
11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by mboldt

GL.

Bwahahahahahahahaha.

Quoted for this NOT being the truth.

clem24
11-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Bwahahahahahahahaha.

That's not fair dude... He said "most people" without any reference to the inclusion of his personal self into that group.

R-Audi
11-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Touche.

Scat E46
11-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Bwahahahahahahahaha.

LOL

A790
11-11-2010, 04:31 PM
OP, don't be a cock.

Mitsu3000gt
11-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by A790

OP, don't be a cock.

I know you haven't read the whole thread, because if you had you wouldn't have made that comment. We're beating a dead horse there. A) The situation is/was hypothetical B) I am not personally interested (nor have I ever been) in carrying out the extreme hypothetical situation I used as an *example* in my OP. Poor wording in my OP is to blame, which I have acknowledged. I wanted to generate intelligent discussion, instead it came across as a master plan to take down every memory express in the city :facepalm:. Read my last post 6 posts above this if you want the coles notes.

max_boost
11-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Excellent posts. Thanks for the lolz :rofl:

chkolny541
11-11-2010, 05:09 PM
OP get some morals

Mitsu3000gt
11-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
OP get some morals

:rofl: :rofl:

ZorroAMG
11-11-2010, 05:28 PM
No, I don't think you are an asshole or moral-less or a terrible person like a bunch of these bullshit fake white knights here burning you at the stake, but what you thought about doing isn't right.

Don't do it, leave the thread at that.

Mitsu3000gt
11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
No, I don't think you are an asshole or moral-less or a terrible person like a bunch of these bullshit fake white knights here burning you at the stake, but what you thought about doing isn't right.

Don't do it, leave the thread at that.

Thank you, for the first piece of reasonable, level headed feedback that exists in this entire thread.

ZorroAMG
11-11-2010, 05:58 PM
:) I'm an asshole sometimes and do asshole-ish things too, when someone points it out, I usually stop doing it.

Thought I'd point yours out haha!

dragonone
11-14-2010, 12:14 AM
ppl say it's immoral because you dissected the IPR and pointed out what you could do if u used the warranty.

if you got the warranty, and the pixel thing happened and you posted your good experience about how it was exchanged because of purchasing an IPR, everyone would thank you lol.

i don't see the difference from memX 's point of view. now that you pointed it out though, i'm sure memX will review to see if they should add 'except for .... [your] pixel issue'.

Xtrema
11-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Dead pixel on a LCD screen usually manufacturing error.

Dead pixel on a Camera can be due to improper settings.

So exploiting IPR, however high that price is, is just not right.

That said, it's a loophole and IPR is insanely profitable and there to offset the low margin business of selling electronics.

zipdoa
11-15-2010, 07:51 PM
I have a little grudge against memex... I financed a laptop through dumolin @ 0% for the first 12months... low and behold, 6 months into the deal, dumolin sends me a letter saying they've completely revised the terms, and now I pay 28.8% interest and theres a penalty if I pay the entire thing off.

Maybe not memex's fault, but they should avoid using bullshit credit bureau's to finance their customers. I would've paid (and will always pay) cash for the unit if I knew this would happen.

Xtrema
11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
I have a little grudge against memex... I financed a laptop through dumolin @ 0% for the first 12months... low and behold, 6 months into the deal, dumolin sends me a letter saying they've completely revised the terms, and now I pay 28.8% interest and theres a penalty if I pay the entire thing off.

Maybe not memex's fault, but they should avoid using bullshit credit bureau's to finance their customers. I would've paid (and will always pay) cash for the unit if I knew this would happen.

They should have swallow the cost difference unless of course the loan contract give the credit company room to screw you like that.

zipdoa
11-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

They should have swallow the cost difference unless of course the loan contract give the credit company room to screw you like that.

And carefully reading the fine print, the credit company does allow room to screw the consumer. No biggie, I can handle a couple hundred bucks interest, it'll just cost them repeat business.