PDA

View Full Version : Gear that "Clicked" for you

Go4Long
11-10-2010, 10:11 AM
I saw a thread about this on another board that I frequent and I really didn't get it, but this morning I looked out and saw the sky and went running for my camera and I got it.

I think as photographers we all go through these phases where we're just struggling to find that place where we're shooting just to shoot. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE shooting track still, and look forward to the first track day of next year. But I haven't really shot anything since the last track day of the year.

But I picked up the 14-24 the other day, and as soon as I picked it up I started finding things to shoot again...

So anyway...this post is just a simple question I guess...what's that one piece of gear for you that when you picked it up it just immediately felt right and made you want to shoot more.

jjmac
11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
50mm

It's a small gear with a lot of potential.

As I recall, you recommended it to me :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
11-10-2010, 10:20 AM
For me it started with the 70-200 2/8 VRI, then the VRII. I constantly get pictures I'd never have been able to get before - either at all, or without going to great lengths, and that makes me want to go out and shoot more. They are super easy to hand hold all day long, and a nice size. Pretty much my ideal lens (Until a 300/4 VRII gets released...)

syeve
11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
I know it's not OEM photog's style but I love my flash. I found so many of my candid shots had brutal shadows and bad lighting (my fault of course). With a flash on board turned way down I find so many more of my shots turning out with way less photoshop. It has made my experiences with my camera a lot more enjoyable.

AccentAE86
11-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Pocketwizards.

For so many years I used sync cables which SUCK (they get in the way, break, and they're easy to trip over and knock over your lights or camera).

Optical triggers were better but were less effective outdoors and you needed line of sight, and anyone else with a flash would trigger it (intentionally or not).

Wireless IR triggering was cool as you could set power remotely or define ratios, but were horribly unreliable in outdoor conditions.

Pocketwizards just work. In practically any conditions, at pretty much any practical range that I've ever needed. (And I've used them from long ranges too) It's given me so much more lighting flexibility than any other previous solution.

blitz
11-10-2010, 11:11 AM
16-35mm f4 VR. Not as wide as I might like, but being able to take handheld shots at 1/2 second exposures rocks. It's on my camera 80% of the time. Only comes off when I need DOF.

bcylau
11-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
Pocketwizards.

+1 , shooting becomes soooo much different once you have the ability to do simple off camera flash.

also, FF camera. everything just seems more intuitive when i am using a FF camera.

Go4Long
11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by bcylau

also, FF camera. everything just seems more intuitive when i am using a FF camera.

I'm sorry, but I don't really "get" this comment. I mean realistically they both work the same way...lol the only difference is that with a crop body you use a wider lens for the same result...50mm on ff = 35mm on crop, etc, I could see how the field of view from the kit you had seemed to work better in your mind, but to say that the FF feels more intuitive just confuses me a little...or am I missing something? it's been a while since I shot crop more than just for fun with the Fiance's D3100

bcylau
11-10-2010, 03:13 PM
that is true. for most intends and purposes. FF = Crop = 4/3rds = P&S = Cellphone cam. But sensor size is only a bit of it. I find dynamic range a far more important aspect when seeing if i liked the photos. I shot 4/3rd for a long time, and I still shoot 4/3rd occasionally. But I almost always find the DR on a 4/3rd cam lacking, the look of the picture is very harsh/ discrete, the tones are not smooth.

FF (5d in particular, as newer cams are even better) have much better dynamic range than current crop sensors. And its able to give a smooth film-like look. Its not that crop sensors arent capable, because they are. But I was just looking for a different look. Also, adapting lenses are a lot easier with FF.

Perhaps intuitive is not the right word, but FF does make me want to shoot more. :)

dragonone
11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
Pocketwizards.

+2. ok not really since i don't own any PW. but when i got my first off-camera flash products i couldn't wait to shoot. wired and wireless.

Mitsu3000gt
11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
FF (5d in particular, as newer cams are even better) have much better dynamic range than current crop sensors. And its able to give a smooth film-like look. Its not that crop sensors arent capable, because they are. But I was just looking for a different look. Also, adapting lenses are a lot easier with FF.

According to DXO Labs, the D7000's crop sensor has more DR than the Canon 1Ds mkIII, 5D, 5D mk II, 1D mk IV, 7D, Nikon D700, D3, D3X, and even the D3S.

With what is currently available, the biggest difference IMO between crop and FF other than the crop factor itself is DOF, and very high ISO in which case the D3s is about the only thing that can beat the latest crop sensors by more than 0.5-1 stop.

Clearly both have their uses, but the DR comment is untrue unless I'm reading DXO wrong.

bcylau
11-10-2010, 03:55 PM
i suppose thats a testament to nikon's new generation of cameras. but that rating seems so out of place. They have pretty much every camera above the 5d mark1 in terms of DR. But I know from my personal experience that the d300 cant keep up with the 5d at any ISO in terms of DR.

in any case, the new generation of cam's have some insane high iso's and less trade off's in terms of other image qualities. also I would urge you to try a d700 vs a d300. i know from my personal experience, while they are close but they are not the same.

sorry for kinda degenerating this into a FF vs crop.

Go4Long
11-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Nikon definitely hit a home run with the D7000 sensor. Sensational...I can't wait to see how they package it in to the prosumer bodies in the next couple months.

I'm still thinking of picking myself up one for next season, match it with the 300 2.8 and teleconverters and I could have a lot of fun with it...not that I would get rid of the D3s for one, I love the D3s and have no intentions of ever going to a non full frame camera as an only body.

Mitsu3000gt
11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
i suppose thats a testament to nikon's new generation of cameras. but that rating seems so out of place. They have pretty much every camera above the 5d mark1 in terms of DR. But I know from my personal experience that the d300 cant keep up with the 5d at any ISO in terms of DR.

in any case, the new generation of cam's have some insane high iso's and less trade off's in terms of other image qualities. also I would urge you to try a d700 vs a d300. i know from my personal experience, while they are close but they are not the same.

DXO tests everything under the exact same conditions, so it's just one basis for comparison. Real world situations are a little bit different, but proportionately so. I remember reading someone's own tests once and the conclusions seemed to be that the crazy 14 stops of DR that DXO reports is more like 10 in real world conditions. None of the cameras will perform for the end user quite up to what DXO says they are capable of in the most extreme lab controlled conditions.

I'm just wondering what the next crop of FX sensors will be like. The DX stuff is close now, so I would think the next FX stuff will be ridiculous - at least D3s performance but with more MP is my guess. The DX stuff is nearly as good now because it got the update first, FX gets it's turn next.

I would love to try a D3/D700. My ideal kit would include a FX and DX body but I have yet to be able to justify the cost of an FX body for only occasional use. I usually would rather buy a lens instead. My dream camera would be something I could switch sensors in and out of - both FX and DX.

Go4Long
11-10-2010, 04:09 PM
anytime you want to play with the D3s let me know...we can hit up the zoo or something...I'll shoot D300 for a day :P

Mitsu3000gt
11-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
anytime you want to play with the D3s let me know...we can hit up the zoo or something...I'll shoot D300 for a day :P

Thats a very generous offer - I may just take you up on that when the weather improves (Spring time lol). Thanks.

I am a little nervous it will make me want to own a FF camera of some kind as well, though :).

Go4Long
11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
back on topic...mine is obviously the 14-24...
come on lurkers, feel free to chime in with that one piece of gear that clicked for you...

mboldt
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Purchasing my D700, then my 16-35mm, then my 70-200

Every new piece of gear I am so stoked on shooting again..

I wanna shoot moar with 70-200!

Go4Long
11-10-2010, 06:35 PM
have you tried doing panos with it? :poosie:

ga16i
11-10-2010, 06:53 PM
The Olympus E-420 w/ 25mm pancake just does it for me. small enough that I'd carry it everywhere. Does well for my web shots (can shoot RAW + 1MP JPEG), no fussing around at all just straight to email / flickr, etc.

Gibson
11-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm going to have to agree with the 70-200mm VRI. It's my bread and butter staple and I'll probably keep it forever unless I break it. But then that's an excuse to buy the VRII.

Also, the addition of a battery grip last year to my D300 made me wonder why I went so long without it.

And then when I used a D700 for the first time I nearly died. And again when I used a D3.

Can I just say it's nice to be able to comment on gear without having to read 16 paragraphs from Kevin about why everything he owns is better?

Go4Long
11-10-2010, 10:44 PM
I think he meant it more as educational than it came off, and either way, this really isn't a thread about that...no one can debate about which lens makes you feel better...if there's better options out there for some and the option you've got is the one you LOVE, then the one you've got is the one that clicked for you...it's kinda why I liked this topic on the other board...no one was debating about which was better or why, it was just a list of people and their favorite lens...I expanded it to which piece of gear just to give a wider range...but it's all the same.

Dodobird
11-10-2010, 11:25 PM
While it may not be exactly what you're looking for here, the gear that clicked most was just the camera in general. I took a few photos every now and then before I bought my T1i, but since then, I've taken about 200-300 a week. I'm guessing that'll only get larger as I improve my lens collection. A 50mm 1.8 looks to fit the bill nicely for my next one...

Go4Long
11-11-2010, 02:10 AM
hehe...there's really no right and wrong answers here...I'm also trying to get some of the lurkers to post here. Since the bannings this section's been a lot quieter, so trying to bring some new posters out of the woodwork...we all know there's a lot of lurkers...the post's got a couple hundred views already :poosie:

Mitsu3000gt
11-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long
hehe...there's really no right and wrong answers here...I'm also trying to get some of the lurkers to post here. Since the bannings this section's been a lot quieter, so trying to bring some new posters out of the woodwork...we all know there's a lot of lurkers...the post's got a couple hundred views already :poosie:

Yeah I was just going to say....look at some recent threads, 1000+ views, less than 40 replies. There's got to be a ton of lurkers.

blitz
11-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I think they're non photog's that are interested in what sort of drama goes on in here :rofl:

seer_claw
11-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by blitz
I think they're non photog's that are interested in what sort of drama goes on in here :rofl: '

You are probably right on that account. Its been really quiet around here now.

Anyways, I'm another one to say the 70-200VR. The lens is amazing and it was a huge step up from a 70-300. The VR is great and the lens is so sharp.

soupey
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
i think (oddly enough) the one lens that has been fun to mess around with most (also cheapest) is a pentax 50mm f1.4 with a canon mount. it's fun to be able to play in extreme low light that ive never touched before, that and manual focus takes some getting used to, takes a little more effort and thought than most of the other things ive used.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Yhq5WIH8iXc/TFRo4sW3NGI/AAAAAAAAUwM/Fb8h58tZx5E/s800/IMG_0006.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Yhq5WIH8iXc/THAr08EZIeI/AAAAAAAAVMI/BB5dD2O6YPs/s800/IMG_2599.jpg

KLCC
05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
old thread, but I like to think the 35/f1.8 clicked for me
(best 260+ bux spend on lense.)

move
05-17-2011, 03:17 PM
the 50mm 1.8. even though its not much of an upgrade as id like to get, it definitely gave me more to play with as opposed to my kit lens. hoping to save up for a 24-70 f2 or 24-105 f4.

whats your guys opinion on a walk around general purpose lens? currently using a 60d, planning to upgrade to FF prob a few years down the road.

taemo
05-17-2011, 04:12 PM
my 24mm 2.8 on my 40D, it's great for everything.. walking on the street, beach, at night although there have been times I wished I had a little more wide angle or zoom, so I've been debating and would like you guys opinion..

should I go 17-40 4.0L or 17-55 2.8 if I have no plan on upgrading my camera.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by taemo
my 24mm 2.8 on my 40D, it's great for everything.. walking on the street, beach, at night although there have been times I wished I had a little more wide angle or zoom, so..

I've been debating and would like you guys opinion..

should I go 17-40 4.0L or 17-55 2.8 if I have no plan on upgrading my camera.

17-40L
- built well
- slower (f4)
- less range
- covers full frame if you ever upgrade
- no IS
- plenty sharp

17-55 IS
- built very poorly, especially for the price
- not sealed well
- the IS has an extremely high failure rate, and you only get 1 year warranty. Lensrentals.com reports a 30% failure rate annually on IS and AF electronics. It's a known issue with the lens, and I see people complaining about it all the time on various forums.
- f2.8
- more range
- sharp even at f2.8
- excellent optics in an otherwise very average package

I'd pick up the 17-55 if you plan on staying with crop bodies for the foreseeable future. I'd also never use the image stabilization unless you absolutely have to, unless you want to replace it on your own dime after the extremely short warranty expires.

Seahorsepower1
05-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I would say the Op/Tech Pro loop strap is my favorite gear and lens wise would be the nifty 250 cause it's so light compared to the anything in it's class for reach.

Eride
05-17-2011, 11:33 PM
The 14-24 has been amazing for me, although each time I get a new lens it then becomes my favorite haha.

Clever
05-18-2011, 01:24 AM
+1 on the 50mm 1.8, I enjoyed shooting with it so I picked up an 85mm, I would like to acquire more prime, but for now I mainly shoot with those 2 lenses.

taemo
05-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Clever
+1 on the 50mm 1.8, I enjoyed shooting with it so I picked up an 85mm, I would like to acquire more prime, but for now I mainly shoot with those 2 lenses.

out of curiosity but what do you take pictures with the 50mm 1.8? Is it your all-around lenses?

mb3k
05-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Actually, a smaller camera all together made me want to shoot more. Downgrading to the GF1 and finally the S95 (for those really candid shots)... kinda frees me from the burden of a huge setup w/ the usual D700 and lenses.

Of course if I'm aiming for something very specific I'll bring the 700, but just for the sake of shooting I love using the GF1

SilverKast
05-25-2011, 09:45 AM
My D3s - I take lots of pictures of my kids sports activities (hockey, soccer, lacrosse) and this thing just fits the bill so well I can't imagine using anything else :D

Clever
05-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by taemo

out of curiosity but what do you take pictures with the 50mm 1.8? Is it your all-around lenses? /

I do a lot of portrait pics, I shoot mostly family and friends, so the 85mm and 50mm do come in handy, I also have a 28-135, and 50-250 that I use on occasion, but I mostly carry my primes. I use a T1i, had a 40D as well.

kvg
05-25-2011, 11:28 AM
On my gf1 I have had bought and sold numerous lenses legacy and other wise, but my 20mm 1.7 is by far my favorite:love:

ga16i
05-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Been taking way more pics lately after the purchase of a cheap Olympus 14-54mm f2.8-f3.5 gen I. My first piece of Zuiko High Grade glass, a world of difference compared to their standard line.

Planning to upgrade to a weathersealed E-3 body soon, seems like it's kinda required to shoot in Calgary :love: