PDA

View Full Version : a few 1st gen S10 questions...

Graham_A_M
11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Hey guys, just bought a REALLY nice condition '89. It has the 4cyl with a 5 speed (2wd), but I was wondering,
how much HP can the stock tranny take? I'd like to toss in a 400hp ++ SBC 383. I assume the tranny cant handle anything NEAR that, so what can it handle? also brand and model of clutch is good?
Also, what tranny is a good swap then? a turbo 400, or what generally works with these?

HUGE thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and offering any help you can.

corsvette
11-10-2010, 03:24 PM
4cyl tranny WILL explode with any real power! My bil had a S10 for years with a built 383, he started with a turbo350, it lasted for a long time (he had a 3000 stall) after it blew he went with a built 700r4 which worked great. The overdrive has a nice takeoff and more relaxed highway cruising, but a stock one will not live with 300+ horse, unfortunatly they are not that cheap to build up properly, budget about $2k for a good build with converter.

Here are all the snags and tips i remember from his truck.

- You MUST go with a good quality aftermarket rad (aluminum) with a good dual electric fan setup-he used fans from a dodge caravan and they worked fine.

- The rear end will only last so long before it breaks! Ford 9" seems to be what guys use.

-Traction is nill

-Headers are a tricky install as the steering shaft is in the way on the left side.

Other than that they are a neat truck, we figure if he had traction he would have had a mid 12 sec truck, he ran a 13.4 spinning most of the way on lousey all season tires. These trucks still look great all done up!

theken
11-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I put a 350 in my s15 jimmy 2wd. I have a spare t350 tranny if interested. 400 bucks. Has a shift kit. You will also need a new drive shaft and an electronic fuel pump. And electric fans. And a better rad.

Graham_A_M
11-10-2010, 06:19 PM
^ Sure I'll take it. What kind of HP/Torque can it take stock? PM me your number how hard is it to install?

EDIT, btw, thanks a ton guys.