PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles Used In Targeted Attack On Man Later Found Severely Beaten On Outskirts Of C

Markham
11-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi guys

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/11/vehicles-used-in-targeted-attack-on-man-later-found-severely-beaten-on-outskirts-of-city/

Markham

Modelexis
11-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Too bad a news 'professional' like yourself cannot figure out a way to articulate the news story in a way that fits within the character limit of the thread title guidelines.

PulsePro
11-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Too bad a news 'professional' like yourself cannot figure out a way to articulate the news story in a way that fits within the character limit of the thread title guidelines.

You mad? What's with the hate. If you have nothing important to contribute, leave it be.

Kona9
11-10-2010, 06:29 PM
This happened in front of my friends place. Wierd shit!

Modelexis
11-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by PulsePro
If you have nothing important to contribute, leave it be.

What is it that you have contributed to the thread in order to demonstrate your claimed rule?

Cos
11-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by PulsePro

You mad?

http://jenden.us/storage/JD/img/he_mad.jpg

Scuderia
11-10-2010, 06:35 PM

I'm pretty sure he gets some sort of profit for people visiting his site, if not he probably wants people to visit the site anyway to get some exposure.

Modelexis
11-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia

I'm pretty sure he gets some sort of profit for people visiting his site, if not he probably wants people to visit the site anyway to get some exposure.

I understand that, I was mainly pointing out that he might get more hits on his website if he demonstrated some basic skills related to labeling topics in a more efficient way.

Tik-Tok
11-10-2010, 06:47 PM
VEHICLES USED IN TARGETED ATTACK ON MAN LATER FOUND SEVERELY BEATEN ON OUTSKIRTS OF CITY

becomes

Vehicles used, in targeted assault of man, found on outskirts of city

so easily

Guillermo
11-10-2010, 07:09 PM
is this one plagiarized from the Calgary Herald like the last one was?

SJW
11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
No it was "ripped from the headlines"

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/assault-investigation-178990.aspx

SJW
11-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Lulz at the copy and change.

Modelexis
11-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by SJW
Lulz at the copy and change.

X2

That's straight up pathetic Markham.
You should be ashamed of your poor excuse for a news team.

I found a photo of the Calgary Beacon news room headquarters computer desk.

http://www.modelexis.com/beyond/Calgary_Beacon.jpg

Scuderia
11-11-2010, 12:47 AM

X2

That's straight up pathetic Markham.
You should be ashamed of your poor excuse for a news team.

I found a photo of the Calgary Beacon news room headquarters computer desk.

http://www.modelexis.com/beyond/Calgary_Beacon.jpg

I briefly compared the two articles, how much different can they be if they're about the same incident? Correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't really compare them word for word, but aren't they expected to be pretty similar if they're just stating facts like where, when, who, why, and how?

Modelexis
11-11-2010, 12:57 AM
@Scuderia

Let me put it this way, if half your brain suddenly lost function you would still be able to produce higher quality news than the Beacon.

Scuderia
11-11-2010, 01:12 AM
@Scuderia

Let me put it this way, if half your brain suddenly lost function you would still be able to produce higher quality news than the Beacon.

lol if you say so... I'm no language arts expert so I'll take your word for it.

speedog
11-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I believe we have a right to be critical of Markham because the reporting of news on the Beacon's web site appears to be almost exact copies (word for word - plagarism?) of earlier posted news articles/releases from other web sites such as the City of Calgary's Newsroom web site - see this thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320389) where the noted Beacon article is pretty much a word for word rip off of the City of Calgary Newsroom's news release.

Now if this is the way the Beacon wants to report the news, then so be it and certainly, it wouldn't appear that the staff of the Beacon are taking any credit for actually reporting these news articles. One has to note that the Beacon is usually a day late on reporting the news compared to the Herald and the SUN and often the Herald and the SUN have much more in depth articles with the writer's names attached to them.

So in the end, what the Beacon provides might have to be recognized for what it is, a rehash of already posted news plus a mix of other stuff - they don't have a huge staff count that can be out there visiting the physical sites of news worthy events or calling specific internal contacts within the CPS or CFD to get more detailed information for their stories. Please note that this does not mean in any way that I am supporting the way the Beacon reports the news as I can easily find plenty of what they report elsewhere in a more timely fashion.

Kloubek
11-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by SJW
No it was "ripped from the headlines"

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/assault-investigation-178990.aspx

While the article was indeed changed up in an attempt to make it appear original, I am 100% positive the story was indeed taken directly from that calgary newsroom article.

Markham, I'm a regular on this site and have remained quiet when seeing how people react to you and your links. Honestly, I thought the hate was perhaps not that warranted in the past. But now that I've taken the time to compare the articles, it is obvious these are being copied from more reputable sources in a lightly veiled attempt to pass these stories off as your own.

I really don't understand how these "news links" are being allowed by Beyond in the first place. They are obviously an attempt to generate exposure for your publication. In my personal opinion, this is not unlike advertising your business - which we have recently seen there has been a crackdown around here for that. If you were providing a useful service, I could see them letting it go. But this is pretty blatant - and these articles are recycled crap we can get from better sources if we choose.

So not only are you (in my opinion) breaking the Beyond rules, but you are also breaking the cardinal rule when it comes to printing publications. If you are going to base the articles from other sources, at least cite these sources so a) your words are not illegal by law, and b) you don't come off as being a.. well... I'm not going to say it. But I think we're both on the same page. (No pun intended)

Originally posted by Scuderia

I briefly compared the two articles, how much different can they be if they're about the same incident? Correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't really compare them word for word, but aren't they expected to be pretty similar if they're just stating facts like where, when, who, why, and how?

I just compared them too, and can GUARANTEE you that this was copied from that source. Yes, some things are changed up but there are many instances where there are runs of 6,7,8,9, 10 words in a row which are exactly the same. Even the ORDER in which these facts are presented are exactly the same. It's pretty obvious.

TorqueDog
11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Agreed on all points, Kloubek - I've been wondering myself how these posts do not qualify as advertising.

Even spam usually has some sort of post content before inserting the link.

"Hi there,

[random Engrish, usually something about iPhones]

http://spammylink.com/iphoney

[random name]"

The links in these posts still go to a site with commercial advertising on it, and generate hits for the site. Unless the Beacon is paying Beyond to advertise, I don't see how this is allowable.

Guillermo
11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Here is another "article" that was plagiarized almost word-for-word: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320389 :thumbsdow

If you were a student at the U of C doing this, you would be in deep, deep shit.

01RedDX
11-11-2010, 11:42 AM

black13
11-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

While the article was indeed changed up in an attempt to make it appear original, I am 100% positive the story was indeed taken directly from that calgary newsroom article.

Markham, I'm a regular on this site and have remained quiet when seeing how people react to you and your links. Honestly, I thought the hate was perhaps not that warranted in the past. But now that I've taken the time to compare the articles, it is obvious these are being copied from more reputable sources in a lightly veiled attempt to pass these stories off as your own.

I really don't understand how these "news links" are being allowed by Beyond in the first place. They are obviously an attempt to generate exposure for your publication. In my personal opinion, this is not unlike advertising your business - which we have recently seen there has been a crackdown around here for that. If you were providing a useful service, I could see them letting it go. But this is pretty blatant - and these articles are recycled crap we can get from better sources if we choose.

So not only are you (in my opinion) breaking the Beyond rules, but you are also breaking the cardinal rule when it comes to printing publications. If you are going to base the articles from other sources, at least cite these sources so a) your words are not illegal by law, and b) you don't come off as being a.. well... I'm not going to say it. But I think we're both on the same page. (No pun intended)

I just compared them too, and can GUARANTEE you that this was copied from that source. Yes, some things are changed up but there are many instances where there are runs of 6,7,8,9, 10 words in a row which are exactly the same. Even the ORDER in which these facts are presented are exactly the same. It's pretty obvious.

agreed.

VW337
11-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Is Markam a paid sponsor on here?

Guillermo
11-13-2010, 02:18 PM
no, but he should be. all he does on beyond is post links to his plagiarized stories to generate traffic for his stupid Calgary Beacon. He doesn't even post the stories here, just the links.

notice that he has three threads on the first page in this section like this.

what a dumbass.

Cos
11-13-2010, 03:08 PM
^^ He has an agreement with Beyond that he can only post car related stories.

Maybe you shouldn't comment and call him a dumbass without knowing the full story.

Guillermo
11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Maybe you shouldn't comment and call him a dumbass without knowing the full story.

i'm sorry, but anyone who plagiarizes to this extent is a fucking dumbass.