View Full Version : In-Car 260mph Crash

CUG
11-11-2010, 02:41 AM
That safety gear is pretty important, I'd say
TTzbBRyOO0o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzbBRyOO0o

Shlade
11-11-2010, 03:48 AM
jesus christ thank god for that roll bar!

JordanAndrew
11-11-2010, 04:27 AM
wow :eek:

PremiumRSX
11-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Great seeing that cage doing exactly what it was built and designed to do.

It did such a good job it almost looked undramatic from the in-car cam.

RecoilS14
11-11-2010, 04:59 AM
This is why they should build passenger vehicles with roll cages. Might save a few more lives on roll overs.

PremiumRSX
11-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by RecoilS14
This is why they should build passenger vehicles with roll cages. Might save a few more lives on roll overs.

No.. no it wouldn't..

Unless everybody is willing to drive around with a harness + helmet.

403Gemini
11-11-2010, 08:30 AM

Try banging your head on one of those bars in a 100 km/h accident without a helmet...

RecoilS14
11-11-2010, 08:44 AM
And of course i meant a race roll cage without the thought of extra engineering behind it to make it more suitable for a passenger vehicle. Jeez what was I thinking?

403Gemini
11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
And of course i meant a race roll cage without the thought of extra engineering behind it to make it more suitable for a passenger vehicle. Jeez what was I thinking?

So... you mean pretty much the way cars are designed now? ;)

CUG
11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
North american and japanese automakers could build a lot more strength into the pillars of the car though. It would save a plenty.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
creates blind spots, its give and take with thick pillars

AaronK
11-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah I think it would be cool to see the out of camera view also, cause the in-car didnt justify the severity of this crash

Jay911
11-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by CUG
North american and japanese automakers could build a lot more strength into the pillars of the car though. It would save a plenty.

The Subaru passenger car line has a particularly stout (strength-wise) B-post. Strong enough that we (fire/rescue) have to take special consideration on where/how to cut it when we are using the Jaws of Life. I have a photo somewhere of a Forester wagon that rolled and the entire back is crushed - right up to the B pillar which is standing tall.

Automakers since the early '80s have been in the "crumple zone"/energy absorption train of thought. If a car hits something and everything north of the firewall is designed to make like a beer can, that's kinetic energy that is not being carried through to the passenger compartment. Then other manufacturers - like the Chinese car crash testing videos you see occasionally - take the idea too far and make the entire car out of that impact-absorbing material, turning it into an accordion. ;)

With regards to the video itself: Can anyone explain if land speed racers tend not to wear HANS devices or similar equipment? I couldn't see one and his head seemed to move around an awful lot. It almost looked at one point like he hit the roof.

I did notice, though, that just before he started going over, he leaned back and placed his head in between the seat bolsters. Clearly knew what was coming up.

Another surprise was that he didn't remove his hands from the wheel. A lot of ralliers I've seen will reach up and grab the material of their belts, near their collarbone, in a kind of a crossed-arms fashion, so they're not flailing around or getting digits fractured by a spinning steering wheel.

Graham_A_M
11-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by AaronK
Yeah I think it would be cool to see the out of camera view also, cause the in-car didnt justify the severity of this crash

For 260mph (thats *IDIOTICALLY** fast) I almost have a hard time believing that, that footage is the crash result. I would have thought he would be been rolling for a lot longer. I've done 180mph/ almost 300 on my bike, so an additional 80mph is almost hard to comprehend.... thats just silly:nut: :nut:
he should be thanking everything good in this world for that roll cage.

PremiumRSX
11-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Jay911

With regards to the video itself: Can anyone explain if land speed racers tend not to wear HANS devices or similar equipment? I couldn't see one and his head seemed to move around an awful lot. It almost looked at one point like he hit the roof.

I'm not certain if land speed guys are required to wear HANS devices or not... but in the video it looks like to me that there is some kind of a tether or strap attached to the helmet.

I would assume it to be a HANS or other neck-restraining device.