PDA

View Full Version : Easy Jobs at or around the oil sands?

2BLUE
11-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Anyone know of such a thing?

Worked at suncor and i didn't see such a thing.

I'm thinking a safty supervisor or something but then you need to go to school. Maybe a supervisor for a road crew way up north like making ice highways or something.

leftwing
11-11-2010, 10:51 AM
i dont think saftey supervisor would be an 'easy' job. In fact i bet it would be quite stressful.

spike98
11-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Easy, well paying, and no-educational requirement. Pick two.

2BLUE
11-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Im looking through the job listings but alot require school

derpderp
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Welcome to life, you must be new here.

Unknown303
11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
LOL at the worst question on beyond right now.

Scuderia
11-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by derpderp
Welcome to life, you must be new here.

lmao this. I thought I was stupid for figuring that out at 17...

2BLUE
11-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Faxed resume to 3 places at 9am and 2 calls to an interview.

I belive the north is hiring! :D

Scuderia
11-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Just curious, what do you have on your resume that is relevant, and what companies were they? If you want pm me, I'd appreciate it.

ricosuave
11-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
Im looking through the job listings but alot require school

no shit, sherlock.

2BLUE
11-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave

no shit, sherlock.

Nice

CUG
11-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia
Just curious, what do you have on your resume that is relevant, and what companies were they? If you want pm me, I'd appreciate it. Why would he send you his resume? Are you well connected? I wouldn't send my resume to a holocaust denier like you.

Scuderia
11-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Why would he send you his resume? Are you well connected? I wouldn't send my resume to a holocaust denier like you.

LOL don't know if you're joking or not but...:facepalm:
Notice how I never asked for him to send me his resume, I simply asked what experience he had that was relevant to the oil industry.

CUG
11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
:rofl:

As for content, the easy jobs in the oil sands are with syncrude, driving those large dump trucks for $40 an hour (starting) and more after, it's just... you're living up there. Lotsa dumpy broads in the Mac.

Graham_A_M
11-11-2010, 03:50 PM
^ what class do you need for that if any?

CUG
11-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ what class do you need for that if any? None whatsoever. Obviously they have an in house training program, but still.. Apparently the controls are insanely simple, but you're basically driving around a building all day.

2BLUE
11-11-2010, 04:25 PM

LOL don't know if you're joking or not but...:facepalm:
Notice how I never asked for him to send me his resume, I simply asked what experience he had that was relevant to the oil industry.

I have a background in electrical work.

chkolny541
11-11-2010, 04:28 PM
i know quite a few ppl who went up north chasing money, all have only lasted 1 season, they came back after being bored out of their skulls up there. enjoy.

redblack
11-11-2010, 04:42 PM
How about joining the ibew424 if you have a electrical background? I was working up there a fews years back and depending on what crew you get on, it can be pretty easy work.

I also did a stint as a CSO (construction safety officer). the training did not take very long and i did the courses on my weeks off in calgary. Its not that stressful, most of the time i was doing orientations, teaching safe work practices, drive arond site and do spot evaluations etc. But if there was a incident, there would be a bit of paper work to fill out/ meetings to attend.

Hi-Psi
11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Safety officers have one of the easiest jobs up north in my opinion. Like the poster above me said, they mostly do orientations and safety meetings. There is usually a bit of paperwork involved but it's seriously pretty slack for the most part.

I have said it many times over, the best job to have is as a medic. I've been working as an EMT up north for 5 seasons now and every year I laugh at how slack our jobs are. Mostly we spend our days watching movies, tv shows, surfing the internet and studying here and there.

And the greatest thing is that every year our pay has been going up and because we're in such high demand, we can always find work.

It does take about a year to get your EMT but after that you're laughing.

EMT's make anywhere from $375-550/day, lately though it's been more on the $470-550/day range as they have been having a very hard time keeping staff.

There are other jobs up north that will pay more but I guarantee you won't find a job that is as slack.

Jason

Benny
11-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Hi-Psi
Safety officers have one of the easiest jobs up north in my opinion. Like the poster above me said, they mostly do orientations and safety meetings. There is usually a bit of paperwork involved but it's seriously pretty slack for the most part.

I have said it many times over, the best job to have is as a medic. I've been working as an EMT up north for 5 seasons now and every year I laugh at how slack our jobs are. Mostly we spend our days watching movies, tv shows, surfing the internet and studying here and there.

And the greatest thing is that every year our pay has been going up and because we're in such high demand, we can always find work.

EMT's make anywhere from $375-550/day, lately though it's been more on the $470-550/day range as they have been having a very hard time keeping staff.

There are other jobs up north that will pay more but I guarantee you won't find a job that is as slack.

Jason

Truth. There's even industrial EMT jobs in Southern Alberta that make that much easily, and the pay only increases as you go north.

It should be stated that it's not the type of job to get into if you are just looking to do dick all though. I don't want to have to run a code beside some asshole who is only in it to watch movies on his laptop and earn a hefty pay-cheque haha.

Tik-Tok
11-11-2010, 05:22 PM

Hooker, but you need a physical vagina for that, not just a mental one.

Scuderia
11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Hooker, but you need a physical vagina for that, not just a mental one.

LOL /thread.
If you're wondering on how to aquire these physical vagina's, PM a member by the name of CUG.

Spoons
11-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by CUG
None whatsoever. Obviously they have an in house training program, but still.. Apparently the controls are insanely simple, but you're basically driving around a building all day.

Drove a rock truck for a summer.

Fucking easy, listen to tunes... Fucking out of your mind boring. If you enjoy driving around in circles all day and have severe short term memory loss so every haul is like a new one, it is the job for you.

revelations
11-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Jason

What are the shifts like, 3 weeks on 1 off kinda thing?

CUG
11-12-2010, 12:03 AM

LOL /thread.
If you're wondering on how to aquire these physical vagina's, PM a member by the name of CUG. I can make a hole out of everything. He's right.

msommers
11-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Benny I don't know how you make it through the day. Jobs like that sound great, basically getting paid to do fuck all but then you actually do it and you're bored as hell in an hour.

But do what makes you happy.

Hi-Psi
11-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Benny

Truth. There's even industrial EMT jobs in Southern Alberta that make that much easily, and the pay only increases as you go north.

It should be stated that it's not the type of job to get into if you are just looking to do dick all though. I don't want to have to run a code beside some asshole who is only in it to watch movies on his laptop and earn a hefty pay-cheque haha.

I agree with you but what I'm saying is that the chances of you running a code or doing anything where you actually get to use your skills is pretty slim to nil. You do get quite a bit more experience working in medical clinics on bigger oilsands projects though which is nice for a change.

Hi-Psi
11-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by revelations

What are the shifts like, 3 weeks on 1 off kinda thing?

Rotations vary completely on the company and the project. Some do 3 weeks on, 1 off. Some do 2 weeks on/off.

Currently I'm doing 15 days/13 days. I like this rotation cus I'm trying to get on car work on days off to get more on car experience and training but would prefer 15/8 if I could get it.

HeavyD111
11-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Rock truck sounds like something I could do. If I have one skill above all others, it is the ability to do boring jobs without bitching. One summer I worked at a ratty museum on the side of a highway that no-one really knew was open. I think I had 2 people stop in the whole summer, and that was only to see if we had a washroom. For entertainment I used to wax and armor all the riding mower...no joke. Hell, why am I in power engineering? Rock trucks are the answer!

uv1569
11-27-2010, 08:32 PM
If your looking to dog fuck then up north isnt the place for you

Benny
11-27-2010, 08:39 PM

I agree with you but what I'm saying is that the chances of you running a code or doing anything where you actually get to use your skills is pretty slim to nil. You do get quite a bit more experience working in medical clinics on bigger oilsands projects though which is nice for a change.

Truth, and that's why I don't work industrial. We get few enough calls as is, I'd go insane working up north. I imagine at some point in my life I'll give it a shot, but for now I'm happy earning less and actually getting to use my skills.

Originally posted by HeavyD111
If I have one skill above all others, it is the ability to do boring jobs without bitching.

You're a champ :rofl:

crapstixs
11-28-2010, 04:32 AM
my brother is a 3rd year welder now, he has worked on the rigs for two years now. he works 10 on 4 off. with traval time he is home for like 6 days a month. im a licensed auto tech and this kid make double what i do. its a brutal life. but you make a tonne of money. to the op. are you 18? if you go to the rigs you will grow a set real fast or you will get your ass kick and wash out fast.

96Mx6
11-28-2010, 10:59 AM
If you have no skills, you can go work at the camps or drive a bus. Even drive cab.