PDA

View Full Version : L.A Noire - GTA Los Angeles... 1940s

n1zm0
11-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Hopefully sandbox just like GTA 4 since its coming from Rockstar , not much shown, just some cut scenes, but actual in-game cutscenes.

I guess if you've ever seen L.A confidential, something around the lines of that but in a video game - youre an LAPD detective in the 40s - so the kind of old school interrogation where you slap them around a bit lol, but i guess you actually have to think about the investigation and read the facial expressions etc to aid you in interrogation, thats why the voice to mouth sync is so crazy (i cant remember a game where that aspect of it was so detailed, heavy rain was close but this looks way better):

W4vXZH1FP6M

3hk3rZ_lnTI

theken
11-11-2010, 12:05 PM
looks decent

n1zm0
12-16-2010, 11:52 AM
again, look at the facial expressions, almost never seen before in any video game i can remember to this detail, heres how:

KesDq2zMoq4

n1zm0
01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
another trailer and release date of May 17th, hope it has MP!

aaKCpYzNQqY

GOnSHO
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
that is some CRAZY detail...

looks like something i may try

403Gemini
01-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
again, look at the facial expressions, almost never seen before in any video game i can remember to this detail, heres how:

KesDq2zMoq4

Amazing video! Can't wait to try this game!

Cos
01-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Sick this looks great

n1zm0
02-09-2011, 01:21 PM
0yZ0T_t5j4s

man those details, even in user-controlled gameplay scenes looks awesome, driving, stakeout, cant wait now! it's too bad theres probably not going to be a MP, BUT, i read this article which might make up for the MP, extremely huge sandbox?

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-la-noire/a-2010021616529809004 :

2) LA is rockstar's biggest environment yet

The city has been rendered almost 100% accurately to its 1940s layout. Using hand-drawn maps from the time and early aerial photography, Team Bondi has recreated the city right down to 3D shop fronts, but simultaneously making this a bigger environment than anything yet seen. And in this pre-freeway era, you'll even drive down streets that don't exist any more, which sounds kinda spooky to us.

in 1940's L.A had a population of 1.5 million people, that kind of gives you the idea of how big the city was back then i.e: its supposed to be a bigger than the San Andreas map if you remember playing that one..

Also the vehicle models are going to be potentially awesome and hopefully driving characteristics:

7) The vehicles come from Jay Leno's garage

No, really. While most of the game's several thousand in-game objects have been painstakingly rendered in 3D thanks to some 180,000 photos from newspapers of the time, the game's vehicles are Jay Leno's. The late-night comedian apparently gave the team access to his personal collection of vintage vehicles, from cars right through to a fire truck to make the game as authentic as possible. Well… it's nice to find some use for them, right?

interesting:

10) It's based on real crimes

Although some alterations have been made to protect the still-living relatives of those involved at the time, the majority of crimes in LA Noire actually happened in 1940s Los Angeles. Newspaper stories have been scoured for interesting events, and although some of the nastier stuff like child abuse has been omitted, the remaining material looks set to cover the harrowing and the ridiculous in just the right amounts.

also as the article says :

http://i.imgur.com/IogJz.jpg

Above: Without forensics, can you be sure this is a murder weapon?

no forensics, just plain old slap-em around 40's interrogation and human brain power

Cos
02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
:drool: OMG this is going to be amazing

dirtsniffer
02-10-2011, 12:27 AM
I had to stop playing gta because of all the time wasted moving from place to place (you know, drive 10 minutes, shoot some guy then drive into the middle of nowhere to finish mission, just to go back to city)

If they haven't changed it, I don't see myself playing it

n1zm0
02-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I had to stop playing gta because of all the time wasted moving from place to place (you know, drive 10 minutes, shoot some guy then drive into the middle of nowhere to finish mission, just to go back to city)

:confused: this is how every GTA has been pretty much since '97 :dunno:

dirtsniffer
02-11-2011, 08:31 PM
but atleast in gta3 and vice city the place was pretty small and it didnt take too long to get around.

these graphics do look friggen sweet though

MrSector9
02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
i hope the controls are better, man the controls suck for gta4.... when you try to duck for cover and pop out and stuff.

game looks incredible though

SScott
02-12-2011, 09:17 PM
The facial expressions are unreal wow

Xtrema
02-13-2011, 10:41 AM

:confused: this is how every GTA has been pretty much since '97 :dunno:

But if you take GTA4, Liberty City not really New York 1:1. They just put landmarks in a much smaller map.

Someone else did a game with 1:1 L.A. mapping on the original Xbox. I remember that as pretty boring.

But being RockStar, I'm sure they'll use the same system as Red Dead where you can just skip the driving and go right to destination. And I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up even if get a shitty review.

n1zm0
03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
CDXXQORXXTQ

i guess there is DLC cases and crimes that will come with the game that are specific to where you buy them, stupid imo, just release all the cases as one or DLC ffs, anyways still gonna get it! lol

beyond_ban
03-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Looks like a great time killer... might wait and get it before next winter instead of wasting any portion of summer inside haha

n1zm0
04-21-2011, 10:31 AM
every trailer it gets more and more appealing

Jm2PqSuVYU4

n1zm0
05-12-2011, 02:45 PM
5 more days!, i guess 3x discs for xbox but you'll only have to change discs twice i heard and 1x Bluray for PS3, since theres no online play, i think ill wait for those graphics comparisons before i decided which console ill get it for

Bz_Qa4sHwsA

heinz256
05-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Got this preordered, cant wait!

sexualbanana
05-12-2011, 03:07 PM
From what I've read there is nothing sandbox about LA Noire. Kinda glad to hear. I hated constantly driving back and forth

n1zm0
05-12-2011, 03:23 PM
^ this says otherwise:

Mafia II’s Empire Bay had a map that had a size of four square miles.

GTA IV was 6 square miles.

L.A Noire will be 8 square miles and will require 30 minutes to traverse by car.

This is Rockstar’s biggest map so far. Now as humans if this map was too small we would complain about how small it is and the lack of effort put in by the creators. If it was average we would be upset and complain how well, average it is. That is why since we are human we still find ourselves complaining. Mafia II is half the size of this and a big drawback was the long driving times because mission spreads were very far apart.

http://egamer.co.za/2011/05/l-a-noires-map-is-big-very-big-bigger-than-gta-iv-big/

visual comparison:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/05/ubwcz.jpg

played Just Cause 2 had heli drop all over the map and readily avail aircraft, Far Cry 2 had busses but you had to get to the damned bus stop first. so 2sqm bigger than GTA 4 Liberty City, there will be cabs at least like GTA 4, so that is one quick skip method we'll have for sure.

sexualbanana
05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
IGN Article (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1146681p1.html)

How does it compare to GTA?

It really doesn't. You're a good guy -- there's no question there. While you can explore a very realistic-looking Los Angeles, there's no sandbox here. It's more about solving cases than playing darts with friends. There are shootouts though and the cover system and controls are like GTA IV.

pyroza
05-14-2011, 09:41 PM
I have a feeling lots of people will expect a game like GTA... this is going to be much slower paced and more methodical. This is probably going to disappoint lots of people. But I've been waiting for a game like this, and I'm stoked. This is probably the most excited I've been for a video game in a long long time.

Stealth22
05-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Looks interesting. Might run out and pick it up.

n1zm0
05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
IGN Article (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1146681p1.html)

oh didnt read that much into it, 2 more days! Now which console do i get it for...

n1zm0
05-16-2011, 10:53 AM
14 mins of LA Noire, it's just one of the probably hundreds of cases, so i wasnt pissed about spoilers of one case but it shows you how the game works - audio cues/tips from surrounding characters and of course the facial anim. are so important, looking forward to this game even more now! and sexualbanana is right, definitely not GTA. Can't wait to use my brain in a video game for once lol, it's like LA Confidential that never ends.

http://kotaku.com/5802203/14-minutes-of-la-noires-unexpected-thrills

403Gemini
05-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Im excited to play a game where I WANT to watch the cut scenes :D

(Dont get me wrong, I enjoy cut scenes, but not when they're the entire game, ie. MGS 4)

n1zm0
05-16-2011, 02:44 PM
when's the last time there were reviews this steady across the board? GOTY competitor?:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/05/lanoirefrankentop.jpg

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/219411/review-l-a-noire/

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/lanoire/review.html

http://www.destructoid.com/review-l-a-noire-201203.phtml

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1168417p1.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-l-a-noire/713930

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-16-l-a-noire-review?page=3

schocker
05-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
(Dont get me wrong, I enjoy cut scenes, but not when they're the entire game, ie. MGS 4)
Ahhhh, I have a bit of time, I will play MGS for a bit....Nope :rofl:
Same goes with all the updates on ps3 if you haven't played a game in a while.

So has anybody tried this yet, I am at work but will get it on my way home.:dunno:

Wraith
05-17-2011, 01:19 PM
This game is phenomenal, a must buy.

Zephyr
05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
:banghead: :banghead: Dam UPS, did a release date delivery for prime members on Amazon, last night it left Arizona and ended up in New Mexico, and now I get a email saying it's going to be delayed a few days :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: how the hell did it get to New Mexico?! I'm in California :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

gyu
05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Facial animations look awesome, much more polished compared to GTA IV

403Gemini
05-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Ill be getting my copy Thursday :thumbsup:

gyu
05-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Any of you guys have it yet? Might pick this up, still haven't decided.

schocker
05-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Game is awesome. Not so much free roaming except when you are in cases, did a side quest for example on the way to the crime scene. Very fun though, you must pay lots of attention to the faces though which I keep forgetting to do and the cars oversteer like a mother****** :rofl:

pyroza
05-17-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm loving this. Just got the Police Academy trophy and it's great fun. I accidentally died during the first shooting portion because I was used to CoD's R1 to shoot rather than R2, so I kept moving from cover whenever I tried to shoot

n1zm0
05-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Love it, by the 2nd hour playing i had my gf screaming at the tv 'lies see that side smirk?! Hes a liar'

Very crisp clean grphx, cars handle like pigs but thats 1940s handling for you. Few times im like fk i shoulda used that evidence or called lie. Already wanting to replay old cases.

Played so much and feel like ive barely scratched.the.surface

schocker
05-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Apparently I am an awful detective and need to pay more attention.
This is what my questioning always looks like :rofl:
asfdasdfasdf X
asdfasdfasdfasdf X
asfadfhsdfgsdfg X
asdfasdffsdaafs X
asdfasdfasdf X

Tons of fun sofar and I am only in traffic, I hear when you are murder there is more free roam.

Stealth22
05-18-2011, 11:15 AM
I think I need to go and buy this game. :burnout:

gyu
05-18-2011, 12:58 PM
So you can't really explore the city unless you are doing certain missions?

schocker
05-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Well you can explore during missions and I believe more so when you are at a desk where you can choose cases then I read you can choose free roam from the case menu in the main menu

sexualbanana
05-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Dammit. I want to play this game, but I'm on a tight budget for my upcoming vacation and I have late charges at Blockbuster. :banghead:

95teetee
05-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Love it, by the 2nd hour playing i had my gf screaming at the tv 'lies see that side smirk?! Hes a liar'

played it for a couple hours last Saturday- was so bored I haven't even felt like firing it up again.

I guess in my case I was definitely hoping for more of a GTAIV type game:dunno:

ByTeMe
05-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Does it matter what questions you ask?

I heard that no matter what you do, you can't fail at interrogating a person.

calgarydub
05-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Well you can explore during missions and I believe more so when you are at a desk where you can choose cases then I read you can choose free roam from the case menu in the main menu

This isn't right.

You can go wherever you want in between cases, but you can't select which ones you take. Nothing even fun about free roam though, all you can do is drive around.

Only fun part about this game is the cases and there are only 21 story cases, I've done 10 of them in about 5 or 6 hours.

schocker
05-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by calgarydub

This isn't right.

I thought I heard them say it in the game but I suppose it is not true. I suppose DLC will extend the life though by adding cases and I will likely go back and do old cases over as I am still awful at this game.

n1zm0
05-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by ByTeMe
Does it matter what questions you ask?

I heard that no matter what you do, you can't fail at interrogating a person.

i have failed and in the one case i think i sent the wrong guy to jail lol, i wanted and hoped that i could shut down the console and hopefully it didnt save (Gran Turismo 3 style :D ) so i could replay it but it already did.

BUT you can almost never go wrong doubting cause youre basically saying: "but MAYBE you did it!?" and they might break. but theres a mechanic to the game that i'm noticing some repetition but still havent fully figured it out, basically if you cant place buddy at the scene with no evidence, or can't call them out on their alibi with no proof - then dont ever call lie.

in other news, i did notice my console's fan was pushing almost i'd say ~80% duty constant i bet since i've been playing the game, keep your consoles in a cool place!:

Yesterday, Rockstar had suggested that PS3 Firmware 3.61 was causing L.A. Noire to cook people's systems. Now it's become apparent that Xbox 360 consoles are also suffering from overheating issues due to the Team Bondi game, while Sony emphatically denies any responsibility.

"As with the release of any System Update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence" said Sony. "Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title L.A. Noire and have offered a work around. It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles."

http://www.destructoid.com/l-a-noire-overheats-xbox-360s-as-well-as-ps3s-201500.phtml

Stealth22
05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Think I'm going to hold off on this game, at least till the overheating problems are fixed. Some people on the Rockstar FAQ reported that this game bricked their consoles! Apparently, after putting in this disc, their consoles can't read ANY games! :dunno:

cdnsir
05-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm terrible at interrogations. Both tries on different characters, I tried Doubt to start the conversation. And I failed right away. One declined to talked to me any further so I had to take the long route and do my own investigation.

The other one, he basically shot me down and I was forced to leave the room. But as soon as I left, my boss sends me right back in over-and-over until I got the right answer.. And I still got points for it.. But maybe cuz it was only part of the tutorial?

I don't know, seems like if I have hard evidence, I should almost always go for Lie and call them out.

Zephyr
05-19-2011, 11:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UfSzk.jpg

Stealth22
05-19-2011, 11:22 AM
^ Gold! :rofl:

n1zm0
05-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22
Some people on the Rockstar FAQ reported that this game bricked their consoles! Apparently, after putting in this disc, their consoles can't read ANY games! :dunno:

kinda like this? (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/333462/latest-xbox-360-firmware-bricks-some-older-consoles/)

Originally posted by Zephyr
Snip

doubt always ftw lol

theken
05-20-2011, 02:18 AM
There's lots of truths and lies as well. If you can prove it with evidence say lying. If they look sincere with no facial deviations say true. If you don't know then doubt

schocker
05-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Well I managed to pull a one star on the butterfly murder :rofl:
Cappy was very mad. If you travel to the hidden car locations though there are some pretty cool cars to drive around in.

heavyD
05-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Who's half way into the game? I'm hearing a lot of people say it gets pretty repetitive and boring once you get past half way into it.

calgarydub
05-25-2011, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Who's half way into the game? I'm hearing a lot of people say it gets pretty repetitive and boring once you get past half way into it.

Yeah I pretty much feel this way. Walk around find clues, question people, YELL at innocent women.....

Worst part is, there's just not much else to do in this game.

At first I'd give it a 9/10 must own, now that i havent played it for a few days, I would give it an 8, and borrow from a friend for a few weeks.

Disoblige
05-25-2011, 03:02 AM
Do some of you guys try to get 5 stars?

schocker
05-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I try, but it never happens :rofl:
I made it to arson though, so I suppose I am nearing the end, but I have liked the game a lot from what I have played so far.

n1zm0
05-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

yeah i've gotten at least 3 cases with 5 stars (about halfway through Vice atm) but the rest were mostly 3s lol

i went to go look at some hidden cars, as someone said if you haven't yet go and unlock some, pretty cool stuff, some baller vehicles ppl used to make in the 40s-early 50s, like i found the Phantom Corsair for example, post ww2 was the golden era of transportation ingenuity/design imo, it was a free-for-all in the styling dept with a ceertain touch of class.

it is kind of repetitive tho, but even in Vice right now i feel like i havent even explored the city because you get so enveloped into the case that you barely take a few seconds to look at the view of the city that Team Bondi put so much hard work (almost 7 years iirc?) into recreating. if anything i dont regret buying a copy to keep for the experience of looking into an almost carbon copy (since they used post war aerial photos of LA and alot of Jay Leno's garage) of an era we will obviously never get to see.

edit:
and weirdly enough i find it's almost a 'sunday-driving' kinda feel running around to the case scene with the pressure sensitive trigger gas pedal lightly pressed (and also when tailing someone incognito), feels like they got the responsiveness and smoothness of how engines and chassis were back then, most are slow as balls but once you reach ~70-80km/h the sheer weight of the car takes over... drum brakes all around back then iirc, they suck lol

Zephyr
05-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Do you guys restart the case even if you mess up one question? I do that a lot hahaha, waste so much time...

http://i.imgur.com/L773W.jpg

schocker
05-25-2011, 10:21 AM
I restart sometimes if I do very badly, but I just quit and dont turn off the system :nut:
I will usually do this when I call a lie with the wrong evidence for example.

Rat Fink
05-28-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm in the mood for an old style gangster/cop game. In your opinions, should I buy this one or grab Mafia 3 that is super cheap these days?

schocker
05-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I'm in the mood for an old style gangster/cop game. In your opinions, should I buy this one or grab Mafia 3 that is super cheap these days?
LA Noir

n1zm0
05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
or grab Mafia 3 that is super cheap these days?

you mean mafia 2?

mafia 2 was fun but there was no 'free mode' really unless you get it on pc, owning both, i'd say LA noire because of all the real-world accuracy (1940s LA recreated almost to the tee supposedly and real cars of the time) and work Team Bondi put into the game (besides the facial anim and everything).

black13
05-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Mafia 2 was pretty average. I got bored of it couple hours in. It pales in comparison to Mafia 1.

But LA Noir is very good. The story telling and the facial expressions especially are amazing. Haven't finished it yet though. It's supposed to be a very long game.

Rat Fink
05-29-2011, 01:42 PM

spikerS
05-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Ah, my fat typing fingers. I didn't even see I hit 3. Ya, I meant Mafia 2. I'll wait for LA Noire to get a bit cheaper and then I'll check it out.

ditto, i want to try it so bad, but the ex wife cleaned out my bank account. I am dead broke till next payday!

schocker
05-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Well they announced the rockstar pass that if you purchase it on psn/xbla, you get all DLC I believe for the game?
I think it includes everything and not just cases for $10.
http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/news/16561/announcing-la-noire-downloadable-content-details.html

n1zm0
05-31-2011, 08:35 PM
^ yeah limited time too, otherwise its $20 for the pass i believe

Zephyr
05-31-2011, 10:40 PM
too bad psn store is still down..

n1zm0
06-23-2011, 12:07 PM
PC release this fall, i'm kinda pissed in a way but also not.

I think of all the graphics and textures a PC will bring out that we're all missing in this game and maybe the potential for Mod tools, but then again i like GTA type games like this on a controller and on the big screen, which is not impossible with my desktop but somewhat of a hassle transporting it around.

just wish R* gave a heads up about actually releaseing a PC version instead of out of the freaking blue literally.

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/news/17161/la-noire-is-coming-for-pc-this-fall.html

now whens my RDR PC version coming?!

schocker
06-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Finally beat it yesterday, neat that the electroplating mission was inserted into the string of cases as opposed to just being completely separate. Still havnt tried the other two dlc cases.
Ending of the game was awesome in the last couple cases
was lots of fun playing as the kelso, didnt think you would see cole die though excellent story in the game though.