PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Garage lift opinions and options.

JordanLotoski
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Hi guys.

Iam looking to possibly put a lift in my garage, curious to know if any members on here could point me in the right direction as far as brand goes. (seems to be quite a few)

I would also need to have some sort of specialty garage door opener so a place to do that would also be great.

Cheers

GOnSHO
11-11-2010, 11:26 PM
nickGT is looking into getting one put in his garage as well, he would prolly have some good information for you..

JordanLotoski
11-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
nickGT is looking into getting one put in his garage as well, he would prolly have some good information for you..

Group buy perhaps?

M.alex
11-11-2010, 11:37 PM
I have a Direct Lift pro park 8 - works well

http://www.directlift.ca/4-post-lifts.htm

Easy to install and decent cost.

If you look at the majority of 4 post lifts out there, they're almost identical, with the only differences being the style of lock ladders used.

If you need to do a high lift door, that's another 1300ish in parts&labor.

JordanLotoski
11-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
I have a Direct Lift pro park 8 - works well

http://www.directlift.ca/4-post-lifts.htm

Easy to install and decent cost.

If you look at the majority of 4 post lifts out there, they're almost identical, with the only differences being the style of lock ladders used.

Did you install yourself? I was under the impression you gad to spy a professional to do it (700.00)

That.Guy.S30
11-11-2010, 11:38 PM
kinglift. they have a store in balzac mall.

97'Scort
11-11-2010, 11:40 PM
You looking for a storage lift or a "work on the car lift?"

JordanLotoski
11-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

Looking to store my summer car on it and still park my dd under it.

ddduke
11-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

Group buy perhaps?

I was thinking the exact same thing, if you can set it up then I'd be interested in one also.

I'm assuming storage.

JordanLotoski
11-11-2010, 11:45 PM
If people are interested in a group buy I can make some calls tomorrow to get prices from a few different companies.

78si
11-12-2010, 12:01 AM
If you want a decent hoist/ install....

Call Mike @ apex hoist services:thumbsup: (403) 620-5955

M.alex
11-12-2010, 12:16 AM

They should be one and same. There's very little reason to own a 2 post with a 4post and the right equipment.

Did you install yourself? I was under the impression you gad to spy a professional to do it (700.00)

It's easy to do it yourself depending on the brand. Direct lift and carlift.ca are easy peasy. I wouldn't do a lift king though - I remember taking 1 look at the directions and thinking 'WTF is this shit'. Lol.

The hardest part is getting the 4 posts into position - they weigh a tonne. An engine hoist and floor jack make it easy to do though.

Don't expect too much of a discount on group purchase. From past experiences, group discounts are usually only $100/lift with like 5-7people in.

edit: From what I've seen, I'd either buy a directlift.ca or carlift.ca lift. They're basically the same thing. I've studied my friend's lift king lift and it isn't any better than mine imho.

Revhard
11-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by 78si
If you want a decent hoist/ install....

Call Mike @ apex hoist services:thumbsup: (403) 620-5955

Absolutely. He installed my Carlift with minimal help from me in about 3 hours. Anchored into the floor and leveled with transit,etc.
Also have to agree that all the Chinese 4 post lifts are basically the same build quality. Also agree that the Lift King is the longer install. Even Mike commented on how well the Carlift was packaged for install.
He's a car guy through and through too. Anybody remember the low 9 second red 67 Nova from race city? TT BBC driver car.

I have seen M.Alex's hoist set up. It is everything that my Carlift is, maybe more. You'll never look back either way.

JordanLotoski
11-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Can you guys post some pics. I have about 10.5 feet. Is that enough height?

Also who did your garage door?

M.alex
11-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Revhard

Absolutely. He installed my Carlift with minimal help from me in about 3 hours. Anchored into the floor and leveled with transit,etc.
Also have to agree that all the Chinese 4 post lifts are basically the same build quality. Also agree that the Lift King is the longer install. Even Mike commented on how well the Carlift was packaged for install.
He's a car guy through and through too. Anybody remember the low 9 second red 67 Nova from race city? TT BBC driver car.

I have seen M.Alex's hoist set up. It is everything that my Carlift is, maybe more. You'll never look back either way.

I think they're about the same - motor, ramps, pillars is the same. Lock ladder design is different though.

Can you guys post some pics. I have about 10.5 feet. Is that enough height?

Also who did your garage door?

GEneral Door Services

http://www.canpages.ca/page/AB/calgary/general-door-services/2164629.html

About 1300 to do a high lift door.

You might be able to get away with 10.5, but it will be tight. FOr some reason I'm thinking 12'', but I have no idea why.

KandabashiDevil
11-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Also have to agree that all the Chinese 4 post lifts are basically the same build quality.

haha! Maybe for the first 3-6 months ...

I'm not going to be a jerk about it because you qualified your statement with the word "basically".

AndyL
11-12-2010, 02:08 AM
door wise - headroom requirement is 9" but most will quote 12" as thats the universal safe number

two current opener options the liftmaster 3800 and the zap 800 series - there's a couple others on the horizon, but local support will be hard to come by. the 3800 is definitely the best choice at this time - i prefer the zap honestly. but they need the door to be installed and maintained properly... which isn't a norm these days

M.alex
11-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

I'm not going to be a jerk about it because you qualified your statement with the word "basically".

Mine hasn't killed me after 2yrs of use :rolleyes:

Perhaps you'd care to qualify your statement. It's 4 pieces of metal, with a motor, and lock ladders.

Cody D
11-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Hey Jordan, I have a Lift King lift, a buddy and I put it together in a day using an engine hoist. I've been using it for two years and it's been fine. My garage roof is 10.5' and I have lots of room with the Lotus up top and the Audi below. I've done a couple engine pulls on it and a transmission swap on a Jeep Grand Cherokee so I've definitely spent my time wrenching on it with fairly heavy vehicles. We installed Mitch's Vipers exhaust on it and his Caddy's exhaust.

To alter my garage door from standard height to suck it up to the roof probably cost me $300.00 including labour. If you ever have time you're welcome to come check it out and I can send you pictures if you want.

Revhard
11-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

I've now had mine for 2 years, and pretty sure nobody uses it more than me. My truck is on there every few months,(4600lbs) and I have had a Dodge Ram on there. Not even a groan from the pump.

I made the garage big enough to avoid door issues. The ceiling height is over 12', and it's great. 10.5' will be close for cars, and short on SUV's and Trucks.

It's not like I'm a supporter of Chinese products, but this was in the budget. I also use it at roughly 1/2 the rated load or less 99% of the time.

AndyL
11-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Cody D

To alter my garage door from standard height to suck it up to the roof probably cost me $300.00 including labour. If you ever have time you're welcome to come check it out and I can send you pictures if you want.
Pictures! I want to see what they did to do it for that price.

sputnik
11-12-2010, 03:18 PM
10.5 feet will be a TIGHT squeeze considering with the door open you will have about 9 ft of usable headroom.

I guess the Lambo doesn't sit that tall so it might work.

Cody D
11-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

Pictures! I want to see what they did to do it for that price.

I'm not keen on posting my garage on a public forum, what they did was add another panel to the door then an extension to the rails. We kept the roof mounted opener instead of switching to a jack shaft. It works fine and it doesn't look bad.

Originally posted by sputnik
10.5 feet will be a TIGHT squeeze considering with the door open you will have about 9 ft of usable headroom.

I guess the Lambo doesn't sit that tall so it might work.

That's why you bring the rails for the door up to the ceiling, I have probably 10' clearance, with a low car like Jordans that should be plenty.

AndyL
11-12-2010, 04:14 PM

I'm not keen on posting my garage on a public forum, what they did was add another panel to the door then an extension to the rails. We kept the roof mounted opener instead of switching to a jack shaft. It works fine and it doesn't look bad.

fair enough.

that works if you've got damaged panels to use- retail on a panel is usually 200ish alone. never mind new springs

I was actually expecting garaga's solution - highlift track at about a 60deg angle then roof mount the existing opener 24-30" back with an extension on the j arm to reach.

problem with that scenario is it runs like a bag o shit.

at 10'6" you're golden for 32" radius track though- which is the best option. last i checked - creative door is about the only source for that these days, wayne dalton and raynor are the last two mfg'ers still offering it. triad fasteners deals in raynor but you've gotta arm twist to get them to order parts...

NickGT
11-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO

I'm going a different route now and have scrapped the lift idea. I just couldn't see the cost/benefit of having one except to say look at me and my awesome lift. I don't quite have the ceiling clearance to store two cars, and even if I did, my other car is actually a truck. So it's just not going to work.

Instead I plan on finishing the garage w/ carpeted stairwell going into the house and racedeck flooring over the concrete. Creating basically a showroom for my car. That's all I have left for next year.

Jordan, what you want for a garage door motor is what I went with. Liftmaster Jackshaft Operator with high lift hardware. It will keep the door tight to the ceiling and it's SO smooth and quiet. I love it. Probably one of the best upgrades I did when I built my home. (being a car enthusiast haha). Glenmore Doors did the work. But I would suggest trying someone else. While the product and install were good. The frustration from dealing with them, and the difficulty in getting something as simple as a quote left a bad taste in my mouth. Surely there is better companies to deal with.

Here's a pic of my work in progress. Check out how tight that door pulls to the ceiling. Even without a lift, I think it just looks that much better. Good luck man.

http://members.shaw.ca/nickgt/garage5.jpg

Cody D
11-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Nick, how wide is your garage? The fisheye makes it hard to tell. The largest problem I have with my garage is it is too narrow at 20ft. The border is a nice touch.

NickGT
11-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Nick, how wide is your garage? The fisheye makes it hard to tell. The largest problem I have with my garage is it is too narrow at 20ft. The border is a nice touch.

20ft as well so it barely fits two cars side by side. Thanks. The border matches the mustang lol.

88CRX
11-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Nicks garage FTW! Looking good man!

I was lazy this past summer.... didn't do anymore work to mine lol. Maybe next year.

JordanLotoski
11-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Iam going to see if I can pull my lambo on the lift and roll it sideways in my garage tuck it in the back corner. I did some measurements and it seems to fit.

I guess only time will tell.

Nick your garage looks amazing.

Graham_A_M
11-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Nick your garage looks amazing.

This, nice man! Props to you for keeping it so spic & span. I have shit everywhere in mine. :rofl: :rofl:

NickGT
11-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

This, nice man! Props to you for keeping it so spic & span. I have shit everywhere in mine. :rofl: :rofl:

Haha thanks. It's not so spic and span right now. The usual clutter is starting to build up.... I need a shed - bad.

I pulled wire not long ago for a cheapass wall mounted tv over the man cave sign. (maybe next year) :angel:

KandabashiDevil
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
Mine hasn't killed me after 2yrs of use :rolleyes:

I've now had mine for 2 years, and pretty sure nobody uses it more than me.

Wow, 2 whole years :rolleyes:

Call me in 10. Our lift is on its' 11th year.
I bet in 10 years you both will have paid enough in maintenance & repairs that you'll be wishing you'd spent a bit more in the first place. We aren't talking about hammers or screwdrivers here...

Prove me wrong :dunno:

M.alex
11-16-2010, 12:41 PM
You lubricate the cables and check them for tightness.

It's been over a year and a half since I"ve last had to adjust slack on the cable, so they're wearing fine. SO other than that, what maintenance is there. Just the motor that can go out, and that's a cheap generic piece from princess auto from almost every lift maker users. Oh, and the pullies, but those are cheap too and probably the same brand everybody uses.

Just because it's made in China doesn't always mean it's bad.

I havn't found online 1 instance of lift failure of either my brand or Chris'

sillysod
11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
I would love to put a lift in but I have infloor heating so I am kind of worried about poking a glycol line with a concrete insert. :(

So still on jack stands for now.

Cody D
11-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
I would love to put a lift in but I have infloor heating so I am kind of worried about poking a glycol line with a concrete insert. :(

Most people I know don't mount theirs to the floor.

sillysod
11-16-2010, 08:35 PM
really? I thought they were bolted to the floor.

Cody D
11-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Not mine, I need to be able to move it.

T-Dubbs
11-16-2010, 11:13 PM
carlift.ca
we have two of them in the garage, and love them
they deliver and set it all up.
we also had to change the garage door tracks to go to the roof, in order to fit the lifts.

M.alex
11-17-2010, 03:28 AM

They don't have to be. Mine arn't. Some people do though if the lift starts to creep forward. However after 2yrs mine hasn't moved at all (I put tape around the pillars to see if I'd get any lift creep; I didn't)

R-Audi
11-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
carlift.ca
we have two of them in the garage, and love them
they deliver and set it all up.
we also had to change the garage door tracks to go to the roof, in order to fit the lifts.

Yeah Jordan, you are more then welcome to come take a look at the ones at my parents place.. we've had them for several years now. Not bolted down either.

78si
11-27-2010, 11:17 PM
So.. Did you buy one?:)

JordanLotoski
11-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by 78si
So.. Did you buy one?:)

Not yet, still working out finding someone to finish my garage prior to lift install