PDA

View Full Version : Getting hammered by fake trojan from Beyond?

M.alex
11-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I got hammered twice today (just 10minutes ago) by the same fake trojan.

Both times loading beyond, then firefox shuts down and a fake "ms securities essentials" pops up.

One of your ads showing is definitely dropping something.

M.alex
11-13-2010, 10:16 PM
fwiw it seems fine now.

Oddly enough when I googled this problem a few page thread from Beyond in 2009 came up. Same issue a year ago :rofl:

Seth1968
11-13-2010, 10:21 PM
That's the "Think Point" infection.

http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-13022en.html

I've had to remove it from about a dozen computers in the last couple of weeks.

M.alex
11-14-2010, 02:17 PM
This is how I had to remove it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fake-microsoft-security-essentials-alert

fvcker blocked ctrl-alt-del ... everytime I'd try to open task manger it'd be like "tASK MANAGER IS INFECTED! DELETE!'. lol

garnet
11-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
That's the "Think Point" infection.

http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-13022en.html

I've had to remove it from about a dozen computers in the last couple of weeks.

is ms essentials blocking this infect?

Seth1968
11-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by garnet

is ms essentials blocking this infect?

The short answer is "Yes", the long answer is "maybe".

The problem is Threat Point (like many infections), is not a static infection. That is, it has many variants which change on a daily basis. That's why it's critical that your antimalware programs are fully updated.

Either way, a single solution is not enough these days. An experienced tech always uses "layered" protection. For example, in my computer repair business, I typically install MSE (or Avira) along with SuperAntiSpyware Professional. MalwareBytes is also installed as an on demand scanner. Such a setup provides the maximum practical protection as the system is protected by "two guards" at the front door.

Mar
11-15-2010, 10:44 AM
The joys of Linux. No problems here! :D

4lti
11-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Mar

The joys of nothing being compatible!
Wooo.

Seth1968
11-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Totally agreed.

Although the common myth regarding Linux and/or Mac operating systems, is that their code is somehow immune to infections.

The truth is, those operating systems see few infections due to their lack of popularity compared to Windows. At this time, it's just a waste of time to write malicious code for Linux or a Mac OS. However, that is changing on the Mac front.

Mar
11-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Totally agreed.

Although the common myth regarding Linux and/or Mac operating systems, is that their code is somehow immune to infections.

The truth is, those operating systems see few infections due to their lack of popularity compared to Windows. At this time, it's just a waste of time to write malicious code for Linux or a Mac OS. However, that is changing on the Mac front. To be honest the first virus ever written (rotherJ) was written for a Macintosh. :dunno:

gyu
11-17-2010, 01:27 AM
I haven't gotten it in the past but I've gotten it a few times today....