PDA

View Full Version : Method to address sticky lifters that works?

r3ccOs
11-14-2010, 01:00 AM
long story short -- older engine, when cold, the hydraulic lifters make noises for the first 30 seconds when completely cold (like cold outside cold)

likely do to wear, sticky gumbed up lifters or not enough oil pressure...

I doubt its the oil pressure, cause its proper weight synthetic

wear... sure, which is why they're hydraulic lifters which save on having to do tapit/lash jobs

So what crankcase additive method has worked for you?

I've heard - a bottle of ATF for a couple hrs
I've heard - A can of seafom in the crankcase for a while
I've heard - Engine restorer or Wynn's engine restorer?
I've heard - replace a quart of oil with Lucas treatment

I've been running synthetic, mostly whatever's cheapest but mostly pennsoil...

(kinda milking off the whole engine flush thread, but not really)

or are we really all ballers who never drive cars that have more than 30k on them :)

revelations
11-14-2010, 02:06 PM
I used Lucas treatment with success... however on my 1989 Mazda B2200 engine (with 293,000kms) it caused the valve seals to shrink (they were on their way out im sure) and I would get a small puff of blue smoke during a cold startup.

After the next oil change, I went back to regular oil, and horrible ticking, but no smoke.

Rat Fink
11-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Zero102
11-22-2010, 08:16 AM
I've always used a quart/litre of ATF before each oil change to help cure sticky lifters. Put it in and idle the engine for 30 minutes or so (or take it for a gentle drive around the neighborhood, just don't rev it up) then drain and re-fill.
It isn't an instant solution but over 2-3 oil change intervals it has fixed any sticky lifters I have ever had.

Generally the problem isn't wear, if the lifters and your cam have worn so much you have run out the adjustment of the hydraulic lifters you would know by now. The problem is usually the little one-way valve in the lifters, over time they get deposits on the sealing surfaces and no longer hold their pressure. It may take 80psi to pump them up under no load, but when they are loaded they can hold several hundred PSI, so the oil pressure in the passages is not enough to keep them firm.