PDA

View Full Version : Full Insurance Coverage

derpderp
11-14-2010, 01:17 AM
I've been looking into getting full coverage insurance. Since I have been driving for a year now and have a perfect record with police and insurance I figured the insurance companies would be willing to finally give me a decent rate for full coverage. The first year is when they expect the worst isn't it? But, I guess not, they still want near $300 a month :banghead:

Maybe TD just hates me? I know it all depends on the insurance company and calling around is the best bet situation, but does anyone have experience with this? When can I expect them to trust me? Is a year not enough?

I want a brand new car, but their is no way I'd buy/drive one without full insurance, I'd be pretty much screwed if anything out of my control happened to it.

dj_rice
11-14-2010, 01:27 AM
If you want low insurance rates, you won't see dramatic decrease till you hit 25

I'm with TD Melonche Monnex, had full coverage on my SUV, clean record, not even a speeding ticket.

Rate at age 24 : $3000+
Rate at 25: $1300

JordanAndrew
11-14-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm guessing you're fairly young? If you're still under 25, expect to pay high insurance until then. Are you done college or university? That might help you be in a different bracket, which in turn lower your monthly rate.

1 year is also not good enough as far as driving experience, perhaps after 3 years, then you should start seeing some discounts. It might even take up to 5 years.

It is shitty but everyone has to go through it unless you're one of the lucky ones that have their parents help them be under their own insurance. Otherwise, if you're building your own history, you have to pay them a shit load of money.

I remember paying $400-$500 a month for my 2001 Prelude back in the day when I just started driving. It wasn't even full coverage either, how shitty was that? I think I paid that high for about a year or two at least.

derpderp
11-14-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm 21 years and 364 days old :bigpimp:

I though the AB government passed laws against judging people on their age and only allowed insurance companies to judge your driving history? I guess not. I know a year isn't very long in experience but it is a big factor in how you drive for the long-term, almost everyone gets into a crash in the first year or gets fined and the rate of collisions and fines drop big time after that, so I was really hoping after a year proving myself they would give me a break.

I'm not finished school yet Jordan, I want to return this fall and that is the reason I want a new car, something basic I know and can trust for a few years.

gyu
11-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Those prices are normal, mine's about the same as yours (with TD).
Try to put it under one of your parents names and then put yourself secondary, that's the best thing you can do at this point.

StreetRacerX
11-14-2010, 03:45 AM
I pay about $370 a month for basic liability on my Sebring and Fire/Theft on the Stealth, I have 3 minors, sounds about right to me, if I could pay cheaper with someone else I think it would be obvious I would switch insurance companies. $300 a month for full coverage sounds pretty good to me.

speedog
11-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by gyu
Those prices are normal, mine's about the same as yours (with TD).
Try to put it under one of your parents names and then put yourself secondary, that's the best thing you can do at this point. Something to note, if his parents already have two vehicles insured and the OP's becomes a third vehicle insured under them, then he'll be a primary driver and their rates will be set for the riskiest driver, most likely him. Now the only way I can see that he can get around this is if his parents have their vehicles under two different insurance companies, but even then adding one vehicle to a single vehicle policy will make him a primary driver again.

Cos
11-14-2010, 11:15 AM
24 no tickets, accident in 2004. I pay 207 a month full coverage. As my broker masked bandit always says. If you want cheap insurance (even at my age) get a beater and have plpd on it.

911fever
11-14-2010, 12:28 PM
full coverage, fire theft everything
$1980 a year, and i'm 22, I had an accident and 3 expired tickets and I live in Ontario
I decided against full coverage and I pay $1490 a year now with fire and theft with PLPD.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I just turned 20. No tickets, one at fault accident that never went through insurance, and my car has been hit twice which never went through my insurance.

Full coverage minus collision with $500 deductible on my Nissan and my ATV has full coverage with collision and I pay $174 a month total for both.

94boosted
11-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
If you want low insurance rates, you won't see dramatic decrease till you hit 25

I'm with TD Melonche Monnex, had full coverage on my SUV, clean record, not even a speeding ticket.

Rate at age 24 : $3000+
Rate at 25: $1300

Sounds like you were getting screwed. I'm with TD Meloche Monnex now and have full insurance $500 deductible, accident forgiveness, new vehicle replacement..... and I'm only paying $1900 at 23

StreetRacerX
11-14-2010, 05:34 PM
What the hell?

I'm being shafted aren't I?

Cos
11-14-2010, 05:51 PM
It depends on the vehicle as well. The difference between my truck (2007 4x4) and the 2011 GTI was $45.00 a month CHEAPER.

wintonyk
11-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Sounds like you were getting screwed. I'm with TD Meloche Monnex now and have full insurance $500 deductible, accident forgiveness, new vehicle replacement..... and I'm only paying $1900 at 23

I have got almost the exact same thing. Except a 250 deductible , I pay 2100 for the year.

Awd-Tsi
11-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Mine was 480/month for collision on my 96 talon tsi :(

black13
11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
It depends on how many years you've had insurance and not just how many years you've had your license.
My insurance told me -10% every year till I hit 25.

If your still going to school just buy a used Honda. Most are safe and reliable/cheap. And really for a car under $10k I wouldn't bother getting full coverage.

Masked Bandit
11-14-2010, 09:00 PM
One year of driving experience doesn't really get you anywhere.

Most insurance companies use a six "star" rating system. On day one with no prior insurance history you are a zero star. After the first year, assuming you don't hit anything you move to a one star. After the second year, a two star and so on. So to get the best prices you are looking at a six year timeline.

Keep in mind that if somewhere along the way you have an at-fault claim, it's all the way to the bottom and six more years until you're back up top.

Sorry OP, you've got a lot more time to put in yet before you start seeing any decent prices. Things start getting okay around four star or five star.

403Gemini
11-14-2010, 11:21 PM
It's funny, when I was younger than 25 I bitched and moaned about insurance rates, now that im over 25... I get it. :rofl:

gyu
11-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Wtf, if anything you are just getting a incredibly wicked deal. How did you manage to get that?