PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on the GMC Envoy

Fat Dave
05-31-2002, 11:06 PM
GMC Envoy - anybody have one, tried one, tested one, ridden in one? If so, what were your impressions?

T5_X
06-01-2002, 12:45 AM
I've read a lot about them.
The general concensus is that they are all go! Lots more power than thier competition! My friend was test driving some of the mid size sport utes and he said these are the kings of the street. stunning acceleration (0-60 in high 7s, putting it well over a second faster than cometetors) pretty cushy ride, very plush interior (though depressing and boring charcoal cockpit like almost every other truck GM puts out), lots of bang for your buck! Apparently though, the ground clearance had seriously been cut so they suck off road compared to the competetors, and previous models, that's just what I've heard from some sources though, car and driver says it's supposed to be good. AWD system is good though, seems like they stole ford's control trac system that appeared in the expedition a few years back. I like the styling too. Has the agressive grille/headlights ala avalanche for the chevrolet, though the envoy looks nice too!

I personally drove the new IRS explorer and the ONLY thing i felt improvement in is handling (big improvement though) and it was super sluggish and really rattley. The V8 option adds like, 15 HP so its pretty useless. The 207HP/250lb-ft SOHC 4L would be good in a 3500 lb Ranger, but its not in a 4600 lb explorer.

Most magazines rank the highlander at the top of the list for the mid size sport utes, and the envoy usually a little higher up, closer to the top, the explorer at the bottom. If you want an SUV with some road manners but lots of muscle too, this will probably be a good choice.

Unfortunatly though, as is the trend, manual transmission has gone out the window, no scaled down 2 door sport version either. Only one engine option (though this new 4.2 I-6 is fucking awsome with 270HP/275lb-ft) and the automatic is 4 spd, not as nice as ford's new 5 spd.

roopi
06-01-2002, 01:18 AM
It is a kick ass SUV. I love the look of this from the outside then when i got in it it was even better. It has more than enough power also.

My parents purchased one last August and they love it as well. If your going to get one I suggest you go with black with the grey leather interior.

spyguy
06-01-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Fat Dave
GMC Envoy - anybody have one, tried one, tested one, ridden in one? If so, what were your impressions?

I like em..they look pretty nice if you ask me...perfomance wise i havent really looked into it...but what do i know? haha I do drive a GMC car though! :rofl: :p :rofl:

5.9 R/T
06-01-2002, 04:30 PM
I like them, especially the interiors. They're very kaj rides and GM's new I6 delivers awsome power very smoothly. :thumb:

HRD2PLZ
06-02-2002, 10:55 PM
My dad looked at one before we sold the Suburban. He thought he'd move down the SUV size scale since he'd the only one who would really drive it. He was really impressed with the whole package, but didn't loike the looks of the newer long-wheelbase models. After I got involved, I convinced him to go for the Escalade. But, if you like the Envoys, the Trailblazer and the Bravada are corporate twins of it. Much improvements over the Jimmy's and Blazer's :thumbsup:

ninspeed
06-03-2002, 08:55 AM
Very nice ride. The beefed up chasis (6 huge cross memebrs added).. There is rumors that a typhoon version (400whp turbo I6 powerplant.. easliy moded to 450 with a chip due to detuning) will be out late 2002 early 2003 along with the AWS found on the new gmc denali.. GMC realized that the true 4x4's are trucks, sport ustes go on gravel roads and city snow covred roads.. dont need 10 feet ground clearence.. only a few inches

James
06-07-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed
Very nice ride. The beefed up chasis (6 huge cross memebrs added).. There is rumors that a typhoon version (400whp turbo I6 powerplant.. easliy moded to 450 with a chip due to detuning) will be out late 2002 early 2003 along with the AWS found on the new gmc denali..

Typhoon version?? sweeeeeeeetttttttttt.:love: