PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant sugestions for lunch in BANFF

import_rider
11-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Taking the girlfriend to banff for the afternoon later this week and was wondering if people could suggest some really good restaurants in Banff. Haven't been there in a couple of years so I really don't know of any new ones. Please suggest what type of food they serve as well.

Thanks

killramos
11-15-2010, 07:12 AM
If you really want to go for a good time have you considered the grizzly house? I've been there a few times and it always ends up being a good time. Slow relaxed atmosphere. I'm not sure if they are open for the afternoon but a quick phone call could answer that.

The place is a fondue house, with lots of cool exotic types of meats if you are into things like that. They also have granitenslabs that you can cook the meets on with garlic butter :drool: if you aren't into then deep fried stuff.

I remember it being a bit on the expensive side but can't remember exactly the range.

Have a great time in banff man! :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
11-15-2010, 09:05 AM
For a cheap and tasty lunch, I highly reccomend Coyotoes Southwestern Grill.

ercchry
11-15-2010, 09:13 AM
oh look at that, a list of a bunch of restaurants in town...

http://www.dininginbanff.com/restaurants/restaurants.html

the maple leaf is pretty nice, giorgio's is always a good choice too

sputnik
11-15-2010, 09:15 AM
This place is great.

http://www.banffbalkan.ca/

If you go for dinner the lamb is FANTASTIC.

Mitsu3000gt
11-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Stay away from the Kegs, if it wasn't already obvious. They are atrocious compared even to Calgary's Kegs. Every time I've been there, lettuce is brown, steaks are cooked very poorly (my friends and I aren't picky eaters at all), bread all burnt, etc. etc. Not a single person in our 8-10 person parties were happy the few times we went. Never again.

asp integra
11-17-2010, 11:08 PM
the elk and oarsmen is a solid place, cool feel and really good food, reasonably priced as well

Guillermo
11-18-2010, 12:21 AM
the banff dining scene is absolutely terrible, for reasons that don't really need explaining (i.e. a captive tourist market). would you be willing to eat in Canmore? the options are far better there... there are literally dozens and dozens of excellent restaurants in canmore. search on here, chowhound, or ask for recommendations if you can do that.

that said, the grizzly house is good, and is "an experience" so to speak. I quite like it, although many people find it outdated and tacky (whatever). there is a private 2-person room that you could reserve, and that would be really romatic and fun for you and the girl. The only problem with going for lunch is that your clothes and hair will absolutely reek of deep frying oil when you leave, and i couldn't imagine going if I couldn't go back to a hotel and shower right away. still, for the same money, you can IMO have better dining in canmore.

there is also a sri lankan place in the food court in the basement of the mall which has received outstanding reviewson chowhound. not sure if you're looking for a food court though.

other than that, banff sucks. if you absolutely must eat there, be prepared to pay out the nose for mediocre if not terrible food.

CUG
11-18-2010, 08:11 AM
^ Canmore is awesome. 10x better than Banff I think too. Other than the springs and that hill I hiked up, I feel that the scenery is better too.

Try the Canmore G/CC?

asp integra
11-18-2010, 09:20 AM
rocky mountain flat bread co. in canmore is my favourite restaurant in the Rockies

Neil4Speed
11-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo
the banff dining scene is absolutely terrible, for reasons that don't really need explaining (i.e. a captive tourist market). would you be willing to eat in Canmore? the options are far better there... there are literally dozens and dozens of excellent restaurants in canmore. search on here, chowhound, or ask for recommendations if you can do that.

that said, the grizzly house is good, and is "an experience" so to speak. I quite like it, although many people find it outdated and tacky (whatever). there is a private 2-person room that you could reserve, and that would be really romatic and fun for you and the girl. The only problem with going for lunch is that your clothes and hair will absolutely reek of deep frying oil when you leave, and i couldn't imagine going if I couldn't go back to a hotel and shower right away. still, for the same money, you can IMO have better dining in canmore.

there is also a sri lankan place in the food court in the basement of the mall which has received outstanding reviewson chowhound. not sure if you're looking for a food court though.

other than that, banff sucks. if you absolutely must eat there, be prepared to pay out the nose for mediocre if not terrible food.

That Sri Lankan (Fast food) place is actually really good!

I usually eat here and never been disappointed, its been a banff staple for a long while now, great service excellent food

http://www.banffbalkan.ca/

Myrrinda
11-18-2010, 03:52 PM
I've heard from a few people that the Banff Springs golf course has fantastic food for a reasonable price, and the view is great.

Donmega
11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
If you like pizza try Athena's pizza and spaghetti. Only had the veggie there but it was really good!

1barA4
11-25-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm a bit late but Chez Francois' in Canmore rightfully makes Cora's look like the McDonald's of the Quebec breakfast world.

And tacky or not, I love the Grizzly House in Banff.

Disoblige
11-25-2010, 01:14 PM
As mentioned before, Banff sucks. I only enjoyed the Banff Springs Hotel brunch. Nothing to do there. Would not go again, ever. Only went there like 3-4 times in my life and probably won't go again.

Canmore was great. I ate lunch there, ate sushi there, then had ice cream at the school bus ice cream place. Awesome. Great little place Canmore is.

U4RIA
11-25-2010, 02:41 PM
+1 for Canmore.

They used to have this place for breakfast named Toshi's. My last trip up there I discovered they closed down. Don't know why or if there are any other locations. Awesome breakfast though.

Coffee mine was awesome too. I heard they closed down as well though.

sputnik
11-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Crap. Can't believe I forgot about Waldhaus Restaurant.

http://www.fairmont.com/banffsprings/GuestServices/Restaurants/WaldhausRestaurant.htm

Its in the old Banff Springs golf course clubhouse and has AMAZING German food.