PDA

View Full Version : Mac desktop question

GQNammer
11-15-2010, 04:19 PM
So doing bday/xmas shopping for the significant one and figured I would get her a Mac desktop. Along with this desktop I would also be getting a study area for her so my budget is pretty low.

I did some searching on the internet and I found this: http://www.computertrends.com/product-zoom.asp?productId=108792&categoryid=27

This is going to be an everyday use computer and nothing crazy. No gaming, no crazy media centre, no video editing, etc. Just straight web surfing, play a little bit of music/web videos, MS office stuff.

Would the above link I posted suffice? Or is it too old/cheap? :)
Thanks.

DENZILDON
11-15-2010, 04:25 PM
How about a mac mini?

gram
11-15-2010, 04:28 PM
For another $100 you can get the newer 21.5 inch. It's $1299

3.06GHz Intel Core i3
4GB (two 2GB) memory
500GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive

Chances are you will need to upgrade the ram anyways (which will be more expensive then just buying this newer model)

Spend the extra $100, totally worth it-if you don't spend it now you will later anyways upgrading the one you posted.

Or a Mac mini-as posted above $750 plus monitor, keyboard, mouse etc...still a better deal

GQNammer
11-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys!

Now, is the best place to buy these mac's at the apple store? Or should I do some shopping around?

Seth1968
11-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Note that Computer Trends sells only refurbished equipment.

Also, their typical computer warranty is three months, and you'll have to pay to get a standard 1 year warranty.

tha_bandit
11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
here's a good deal:
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC508LL/A?mco=MTkwMjE2MzY
if u dont mind the 21.5" screen, comes with standard 1 year warranty

ZorroAMG
11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
LOL why recommend he get a smaller screen for more money when the processor and specs are the same?

That iMac is a great setup and will do anything you can throw at it. For the money, it's a great buy.

GQNammer
11-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
LOL why recommend he get a smaller screen for more money when the processor and specs are the same?

That iMac is a great setup and will do anything you can throw at it. For the money, it's a great buy.

The specs are in fact, not the same. The one he mentions has much more ram, more hard drive space, and the processor is faster. $100 more for smaller screen, but better everything

ZorroAMG
11-16-2010, 01:40 AM
OH WTF I didnt see that it was 320 gb and 1gb ram...who the hell would buy that when you can buy one with 4 gb ram 1tb hd for the same money....

21.5 is small. 24" or 27" is best.

bball2
11-16-2010, 11:09 AM
I have a 27" iMac and it's by the far the best computer I've owned. If you're looking for a good deal checkout some of the refurbished models, really good deal on this one right now:

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC413LL/A?mco=MTU0MzQ1NzA ($410 off the original price)

poison
11-16-2010, 11:12 AM
27 imac i5 ftw

core_upt
11-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by GQNammer

This is going to be an everyday use computer and nothing crazy. No gaming, no crazy media centre, no video editing, etc. Just straight web surfing, play a little bit of music/web videos, MS office stuff.

Seriously, just get a Mac Mini. It'll do everything you want. I have one now and they run awesome. Sure a 27" iMac is great, but for what your'e wanting, save the cash and buy the Mini, get a nice 21" monitor and a Mac keyboard and mouse, and you're set, for just over a grand.

Also - if you want to get Applecare, you can buy it online for WAY cheaper then through a retailer. I bought Applecare thru Ebay with zero issues and it was almost half the cost of going through apple. Every Applecare ID is unique, as is every Apple product ID, so if you buy from a trusted seller, you'll be fine.

3nergiz3d
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
If you're looking for a better price, maybe go shop at the Apple Store on Black Friday?

PulsePro
11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Actually, why get her a Mac desktop when you can get her a Mac laptop? Sounds like she's a student? I think you should get her a Macbook Air so it would be convenient for her to carry around.

GQNammer
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by PulsePro
Actually, why get her a Mac desktop when you can get her a Mac laptop? Sounds like she's a student? I think you should get her a Macbook Air so it would be convenient for her to carry around.

She is a student and already has a laptop. Nothing like a mac but it does serve it's purpose. That's why I'm contemplating a mac desktop. But after some discussion trying to dig info from her to know exactly what she wants, it appears that she just wants a really nice study area. So now i'm meh about the mac :(

mittensthekitty
11-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Seriously, the 21.5" iMac is fantastic value when you consider it's a complete unit out of the box with a fantastic display. Tons of disk storage, a surprisingly adequate GPU, a fast, modern CPU, lots of RAM...

The Mini is a good machine, but after you pick up a reasonable monitor for it, a set of speakers, and assuming you go for a wireless keyboard and mouse combo, you're looking at iMac pricing for a machine with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo and a pretty weak GPU.

Jlude
11-22-2010, 01:49 AM
My first mac was an iMac, I loved it so much and would have kept it, but I missed having a laptop.