PDA

View Full Version : Any place that will stud my used winters?

Thaco
11-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Anybody know if anywhere that will stud my tires? i called a few shops but they wont touch used tires.

bituerbo
11-16-2010, 11:36 AM
They won't touch them for a reason. Used tires have debris in the stud holes. That debris prevents the stud from seating, meaning you will throw studs all the time, and that's a huge liability.

Studding is an option for new tires only. You are absolutely NOT supposed to stud used tires, and any shop that does so is irresponsible. If you MUST have studs, buy new tires.

Thaco
11-16-2010, 11:51 AM
blah blah blah, next.....

whiskas
11-16-2010, 12:12 PM
What bituerbo said. Studding used tires is a stupid idea.

Tik-Tok
11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Fuck it, stud them yourself with roofing nails and tar!

Tomaz
11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
blah blah blah, next.....

bituerbo is right. Just saying.

If you want them studded so badly, go to crappy tire and pick some up, screw them in yourself. No shop will/should install them on used tires.

Thaco
11-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
What bituerbo said. Studding used tires is a stupid idea.

as i said, Next....

Because i am sure it'd be impossible to drill new debris free holes, or perhaps redrill existing holes removing said debris....

as i said, i am looking for a place that will do it, i am not looking for the moral police to tell me shit i already know.

opinions are like assholes, they're usually full of shit and should be kept to yourself.

nobb
11-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Im interested to know as well. I've got a set of KW11's with decent tread but the tires dont feel like they are any better then the all season Continental ContiTrac tires they replaced. The compound is friggin hard and stuff.

If there are existing holes in the tire already for studs, can't you buy the studs and screw them on yourself?

Thaco
11-16-2010, 12:55 PM
traditional studs are injected with a special gun that basically spreads the hole open and shoots them in, i have seen screw types online, but i am not sure they'd be worth the hassle of DIY.

although it appears that may be my only option.

bituerbo
11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Those are meants for powersports such as ATV's Dirtbikes, Snowmobile tracks... and occasionally off-road truck rigs.
You are going to dessicrate your tires if you attempt to use screw-in style tire studs on a passenger car tire.

Ooh, and the reason you can't 'redrill' stud holes, is because they weren't drilled to begin with - they were cast in the tire mould, and they are an upside-down T design, to hold the base of the stud. It would be impossible to drill this shape into a tire.

Thaco
11-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Those are meants for powersports such as ATV's Dirtbikes, Snowmobile tracks... and occasionally off-road truck rigs. not true, they are completely acceptable and used commonly in Europe on normal passenger vehicles

Ooh, and the reason you can't 'redrill' stud holes, is because they weren't drilled to begin with - they were cast in the tire mould, and they are an upside-down T design, to hold the base of the stud. It would be impossible to drill this shape into a tire. again, not true at all, you should learn to bullshit better.

cjay^
11-16-2010, 03:36 PM
lol @ buddy posting on beyond for help and being a douche to everyone that posts in his thread.

And no, I don't care what you have to say about my post so spare yourself the burden of coming up with a snooty response.

Carry on.

Thaco
11-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by cjay^
lol @ buddy posting on beyond for help and being a douche to everyone that posts in his thread.

And no, I don't care what you have to say about my post so spare yourself the burden of coming up with a snooty response.

Carry on. lol @ idiots who think everybody gives a shit about their opinion, if you cant answer my request, don't post, it's that simple.

Unknown303
11-16-2010, 03:44 PM
http://pavementinteractive.org/index.php?title=Studded_Tire_Information

May not be the only type but it pretty plainly shows the T casing holding a tungsten carbide tip. Other then that I have no idea what place would stud used. Crappy tire seems like a good place to get away with shit like that and if you want to stud used tires so bad you might have to actually do them yourself really.

Thaco
11-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
http://pavementinteractive.org/index.php?title=Studded_Tire_Information

May not be the only type but it pretty plainly shows the T casing holding a tungsten carbide tip. Other then that I have no idea what place would stud used. Crappy tire seems like a good place to get away with shit like that and if you want to stud used tires so bad you might have to actually do them yourself really.

not sure where in the site it says the hole in the rubber is a T shape, the casing may be, but as far as i know rubber is flexible and an conform around other objects.

tirebob
11-17-2010, 06:45 PM
I know of no shop that will do it because the time vs cost factor would not be worth it. No, the stud absolutely should not be put on top of the debris in the stud holes as this can cause major issues. Re-drilling new stud holes is possible (no, the stud hole is not internally shape like the hat of the stud is and it does stay in by the compression of the rubber around it), but the time to do this on a car/suv tire would make the cost run higher than just buying new tires and selling off you old ones as most people would not want to pay the price for the time involved...

In ice racing, zamboni situations, winter use offroad logging trucks, etc, it is common to drill holes and stud (I used to do these jobs myself back in the day), but the cost of doing so is waaay higher than simply studding a new passenger tire, and is typically used only for specialty applications. Not many people want to pay an hourly shop rate plus studs to do the tires when it can easily 4 to 5 hours or more to drill new holes and stud properly. You can't just redrill the old holes either as rock and shit will wreck drill bits (at least the kind most shops will have) like crazy...

If you wanted to have it done more cost effectively, find a shop that will give you a stud that you can use to rig up a jig that will allow you to properly drill you own holes to the right depth for the stud to fit in properly without drilling too far into the tire without wrecking it, and you do the drilling work, then take them to a shop and have them just stud the new holes once done, but even then most places will be nervous to do it because of the obvious liabilities...

97luder
11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
call blaskin and lane

Sugarphreak
11-17-2010, 07:06 PM

captain134
11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
This place I know for sure will stud used tires.

A+ Tires
510 77 Avenue S.E
Calgary, AB

Sorry I don't have a phone number and I couldn't find one on the net for you. If you go down and talk to Royce he will for sure stud your used tires.

Muji
11-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Im interested to know as well. I've got a set of KW11's with decent tread but the tires dont feel like they are any better then the all season Continental ContiTrac tires they replaced. The compound is friggin hard and stuff.

If there are existing holes in the tire already for studs, can't you buy the studs and screw them on yourself?

About the best you can do in your situation is to make certain your tires are properly inflated, taking into account the temp. outside. Are the tires running in the correct rotation? Odd question, but I have seen people with winter tires mounted backwards. Check really.

I have winter tires, looked at the KW11 models and went with another tire at the suggestion of Bob, he knows tires. I wanted studded, but the hassle of getting it done was a killer in the deal as it meant running around the city drop/pick up of the tires and rims. Bob was right, what I have is good for the roads I use.

Do not under inflate winter tires though, it is a really unsafe thing to do. If your tires are more than three winter seasons old, I doubt they are still performing at their best. Summer tires after three seasons are iffy compared to when new.

http://www.drivers.com/article/354

PulsePro
11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey Thaco, you have a pretty big mouth for someone who sucks off little boys :rofl: :rofl: :nut: Just sayin

Thaco
11-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by PulsePro
Hey Thaco, you have a pretty big mouth for someone who sucks off little boys :rofl: :rofl: :nut: Just sayin

HAR HAR HAR.

anyways, thanks to the people that posted useful info.