PDA

View Full Version : Accidents today

G-ZUS
11-16-2010, 12:51 PM
So let's hear your accident stories. Was going down an icy hill in Radisson Heights, coming to a stop sign. Police officer was waving the cars to go through the stop sign, but some chinese lady in her corolla hits the brakes causing the guy behind her to slam his brakes and hit her, I couldn't stop and bumped him from behind. Luckily no damage to the cars, and no one got hurt.

t_soarer
11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Didn't see any accidents, however coming up bow trail I saw a RWD G35 struggling to get up...

max_boost
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
150 collisions so far as reported by Global News . Now the real question is, how many of those vehicles involved had winter tires hahaha :rofl:

KO22
11-16-2010, 06:24 PM
I wonder how many actual accidents happened today.. not everybody reports them lol

DeeK
11-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Was driving down King Edward Blvd this morning. It was a nice balmy 12 degrees and sunny, with no snow in sight... Somehow an accident occured on King Edward Blvd and Granville St. It caused me like 5 minutse to re-route around it.

I don't understand how someone crashes on such a nice, warm, sunny day...

master hec0
11-16-2010, 07:21 PM
I saw atleast 5 cars in the ditch on the deerfoot extension

vengie
11-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm more worried about the EXTREME lack of snow plows... I don't think I single major road I drove on during my commute (Macleod, 14th SW, Glenmore, Crowchild) was plowed... Not to mention I counted 2 trucks sanding... Great start boys!

FraserB
11-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by vengie
I'm more worried about the EXTREME lack of snow plows... I don't think I single major road I drove on during my commute (Macleod, 14th SW, Glenmore, Crowchild) was plowed... Not to mention I counted 2 trucks sanding... Great start boys!

This is the same argument parroted every year by people who claim plows are not on the road. There are 92 plow trucks, all of which were active today plus a bunch of graders. They periodically need to return to the yard to refuel and refill the hoppers. There are 14,000 lane kilometers of road in Calgary that now need to be attended to because people are too retarded to get out of their own street.

I bet if you sat in the same spot for most of the day you would see more than 2 trucks. I probably saw 7 or 8 trucks and graders today.

I drove Crowchild south to Glenmore and then to 14th and they were fine at 11am, speeds at 70-95kph and just wet pavement.

Kloubek
11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by DeeK
It was a nice balmy 12 degrees and sunny, with no snow in sight...

Fuck you and your warm weather.

Xtrema
11-16-2010, 08:02 PM

Can't blame them. There are condition that even if you double the plow number still won't make a difference. Last night was that. Rain to Snow to bitter winter in 6 hr produces shitty roads.

chkolny541
11-16-2010, 08:26 PM

owned

Originally posted by FraserB

This is the same argument parroted every year by people who claim plows are not on the road. There are 92 plow trucks, all of which were active today plus a bunch of graders. They periodically need to return to the yard to refuel and refill the hoppers. There are 14,000 lane kilometers of road in Calgary that now need to be attended to because people are too retarded to get out of their own street.

I bet if you sat in the same spot for most of the day you would see more than 2 trucks. I probably saw 7 or 8 trucks and graders today.

I drove Crowchild south to Glenmore and then to 14th and they were fine at 11am, speeds at 70-95kph and just wet pavement.

agreed, i was driving home from parkland yesterday and saw 3 plow trucks just givin er, they can only do so much though, snow accumlates fast

nrt_vw
11-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Didnt see any smash ups today. A few cars spun out in the ditch on 22x and that was it.

Guillermo
11-16-2010, 09:09 PM

He's not saying there aren't any plows, just that there isn't nearly enough to sufficiently clear the main roads, not to mention the side streets which won't be plowed for weeks, if ever. I think people are so quick to complain about lack of snowplows because there IS a major lack of snowplowing. It only takes a trip to pretty much any other major city in the north to see what i mean.

PulsePro
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM

On top of that, did you know that Calgary has the most extensive urban pathway in North America?

jazzyb
11-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

He's not saying there aren't any plows, just that there isn't nearly enough to sufficiently clear the main roads, not to mention the side streets which won't be plowed for weeks, if ever. I think people are so quick to complain about lack of snowplows because there IS a major lack of snowplowing. It only takes a trip to pretty much any other major city in the north to see what i mean.

Calgary as switched to the "echelon" format of cleaning roads, meaning 3-trucks are out simultaneously for a 3-lane road or 2-trucks for 2-lanes. Produces faster and better roads.

know1edge
11-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by t_soarer
Didn't see any accidents, however coming up bow trail I saw a RWD G35 struggling to get up...

:rofl:
Where on bow trail was this? Any details about the G35?

vengie
11-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

This is essentially the point I was going after, thank you.

I just don't understand the huge "Huff puff" coming from city hall at the end of last year vowing to improve snow removal.

I am just disappointed they mobilized from what I saw a pretty mundane attempt at snow removal... especially given the amount of time mother nature gave them to stockpile resources.

Just my 2 cents! I don't expect anyone to agree with me! My truck with studded tires was amazing! however in my opinion there was room for improvement.

J-D
11-16-2010, 11:38 PM

This is essentially the point I was going after, thank you.

I just don't understand the huge "Huff puff" coming from city hall at the end of last year vowing to improve snow removal.

I am just disappointed they mobilized from what I saw a pretty mundane attempt at snow removal... especially given the amount of time mother nature gave them to stockpile resources.

Just my 2 cents! I don't expect anyone to agree with me! My truck with studded tires was amazing! however in my opinion there was room for improvement.

Aren't those illegal here? :p

FraserB
11-16-2010, 11:41 PM
No, its actually completely legal to run them, I dont think there are even time limits on when you can run them either.

vengie
11-16-2010, 11:46 PM
As far as I know they are 100% legal! and improve ice traction 10 fold. They aren't legal in BC and you can be ticketed for having them.

speeed
11-16-2010, 11:58 PM
A few cars stuck on hills this morning in panorama. Also saw a WRX smash head on into a light pole on shaganappi and country hills around 4:30

01RedDX
11-17-2010, 12:00 AM

FraserB
11-17-2010, 12:05 AM
From tirebob

Alberta no restriction

British Columbia from Oct. 1 to April 30 only

Manitoba from Oct. 1 to April 30 only Ceramic core studs or ceramic studs only

Ontario restrictions http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/vehicle.htm#studs

Quebec from Oct. 15 to May 1 only Commercial vehicles: less than 3000 kg only
Passenger vehicles: on both axles only

Saskatchewan no restriction

Newfoundland from Nov. 1 to April 31 only

Yukon no restriction

ddduke
11-17-2010, 12:12 AM

I cover most of the city on a daily basis (besides the ne). I didn't see a single plow out today and the conditions were miserable on every main road that i drove besides Glenmore. It also looks like the city completely forgot about everything west of sarcee especially around Aspen and Montreoux, they were by far the worst roads I saw in the whole city today.

barmanjay
11-17-2010, 12:16 AM
This morning about 6:30ish on Country hills going east just up the hill from beddington, I saw a bus off into someones back yard,... at the top of the hill,... go figure.

Went to the airport and spent the day in Vancouver with my sister. Arrived back at 6:30 pm to icy, crappy roads!

Glad i put my snow tires on weeks ago,.. glad I put up my xmas lights weeks ago too,.. LOL

01RedDX
11-17-2010, 12:23 AM

syritis
11-17-2010, 05:02 AM
I saw a ton of trucks on the east side driving with the steel down, still didn't look like they were making a difference.