PDA

View Full Version : Garage Park vs Outdoor Park

derpderp
11-16-2010, 10:40 PM
In a previous thread I remember CUG and another individual debating the long-term effects of parking a car that is being used through winter inside or outside.

I can't say I know the detailed science of rusting, just the general idea. I did read that the rusting process is inhibited in freezing temperatures, due to natural liquids being frozen. :dunno:

I do have my car in the garage atm, with all the snow melting off it is pretty moist in there. It is nice having a not frozen car when I need it, but not worth risking rust.

What does Beyond think? What would be the ideal situations?

FraserB
11-16-2010, 10:57 PM
I'd say it has to do with how well you keep it clean. My truck is 12 years old and only has a few rock chips and its been in far worse than just sitting outside. Take care of it and it will last indoors or outdoors.

derpderp
11-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Yah I would agree with that

KO22
11-17-2010, 08:41 AM
I always parked my vehicles indoors, but every week or so I took it to a wand wash when the roads werent to bad, and spent a while in there with scrub brushes looking over the whole body cleaning anything and everything.. worked out well seeling how none of my cars ever developed rust.. I guess just take very good care of your vehicles and you'll be fine in or out.

Tomaz
11-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I wash may car about once a week, sometimes twice. Just to keep the crap/salt/dirt off my car. I store indoors, no problems.

Xtrema
11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by derpderp
I do have my car in the garage atm, with all the snow melting off it is pretty moist in there. It is nice having a not frozen car when I need it, but not worth risking rust.

What does Beyond think? What would be the ideal situations?

I used to own a Civic. It got rear-ended.

After it was fixed, it stayed in the garage when it's pretty warm most of the time and snow melts every night. No sign of rust for a few years

Once I got my next car, it spent most of time outside and the body work deteriorated much faster than when it was in the garage. But any panels that are original are indifferent.

So I think keeping it outside in the elements probably hurts more than helps. But if the body work is original and the car is made after the 90s, it shouldn't really matter.

But after Monday night, there were a lot of salt/anti-ice agent on the road. It won't hurt to spray your underbody a bit once it warms up.

Guillermo
11-17-2010, 01:22 PM
^^that's an invalid test, because you are not controlling for car type and driving habits.

from my understanding, a warm garage would be the worst, because it puts your car through many more freeze-thaw cycles, which causes physical weathering of your paint/metal, as well as allows the oxidation reactions to proceed faster. Since the garage is enclosed and there is a continual input of ice and show, it would also be very damp.