PDA

View Full Version : Frozen washer fluid

bignerd
11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Looks like the last time I added washer fluid to my car it must of been summer fluid as it seems to be frozen solid enough to not spray...

Does anyone know if I add winter fluid to the tank now will that be enough to defrost/melt the existing fluid-or do I need to dethaw and drain it...

Thanks

FraserB
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Since it is already de-thawed, I would thaw it and then drain it.

Kloubek
11-17-2010, 03:30 PM
When the old stuff thaws, it will just dillute the new winter stuff and probably will not be sufficient to stay liquid.

I would thaw out what you have, drain it, and put in fresh fluid.

Guillermo
11-17-2010, 03:34 PM
i did this last year, it sucked. try not to use your pump trying to get it to work, you don't want to burn it out.

see if you can find some indoor parking and let it thaw for a good while, or maybe you can stop by a carwash and hit it with some hot water.

n1zm0
11-17-2010, 03:40 PM
^yeah or boil a kettle full and start pouring!

Modelexis
11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
fastest and easiest way I know of solving this problem is to put a car wash sprayer into the neck and fire away, it will inject fresh hot water at an alarming rate, thawing it out almost instantly.

To quickly drain the tank, unplug your washer hose somewhere half way at a connection, lean it over the fender and press the sprayer, it will begin to pour out fast, you can even stop pressing the sprayer and gravity will continue to drain the tank.

88CRX
11-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Mine did the same thing.... thawed out overnight so I added 1/4 bottle of -40 winter stuff. Hope it keeps it from freezing.

sillysod
11-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Last time i did this it froze and cracked the pump housing.

Now I run winter stuff all year long.

adidas
11-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Go to market mall or chinook(if their new parkade is heated) and come back in a few hrs should be melted by then.

2BLUE
11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Safeway in kensington is also heated

lilmira
11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Market is definitely for warm enough. I tried that last year when I had snow stuck on my wheels and it didn't work. Unless you want to stay there for a whole day.

The parkade under Eaton Centre is pretty warm.

Either that or you can try peeing on it, oh wait, that's for jelly fish. :devil:

know1edge
11-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
Safeway in kensington is also heated

safeway in kensington has an underground parking lot?

Guillermo
11-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

safeway in kensington has an underground parking lot?

obviously, you are Mr. Observant. :rofl:

Supa Dexta
11-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Actually the questions legit.. He said safeway is heated.. Well of course it is, every safeway is heated!

bignerd
11-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Happy to report with todays warmer weather the washer fluid is working again, I added a bunch of -40 fluid and ran it throught the pumps and lines until it came out so should be good to go now.

Found about a 1/4 of a jug in the garage last week that was slush so I am assuming that was what was in my car. Some no name stuff that was supposed to be good for winter but apparently not.

Saw some guy in a civic at some lights dumping a cup of water on his windshield and running the wipers like crazy...