PDA

View Full Version : I broke something on my network

Cos
11-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Not sure what the hell happened. I have a home server, PS3, Xbox, and a couple computers. My server stores all my videos and music as well as downloads stuff in the background for me.

Couple days ago I couldnt remote into it with the wifes laptop. I figured it was something from the wifes mac. I logged into my computer today and it didnt work which surprised me.

I guess it surprised me because all the machines can see the shared folders. The xbox can play the videos, I can move stuff around on the PCs. The only thing that doesnt appear to work is the connect application (which hasnt worked for a while) and the Remote Desktop Connector which has worked since a couple days ago.

Coles Notes:

- Computers and consoles can see the server folders
- Computer successfully pings server
- Server name/IP is correct
- Remote Desktop Connector wont work on either machines
- Dont know why
- Cant shut down server without hard reboot.

Zhariak
11-17-2010, 06:31 PM
After you do a hard reboot does RDP work?

Can you hook a monitor directly up to the server just to see whats happening?

Try opening your event log viewer up on your computer, and then use it to connect to your server to see if you can view the servers event log (once open, right click event viewer, and hit connect to computer, type in server name, or IP)

Cos
11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I just found out that home server did an update a couple nights ago. You have to log in with the admin account (which I never use for security reasons) before the rest would be unlocked.

Thanks for the input Zhariak! I dont have a monitor.... that is why this can be so difficult sometimes.

Edit: Windows home server console still doesnt work if anyone knows why. It has not worked in months.

taemo
11-17-2010, 08:25 PM
you should install VNC Server in it just in case.

Cos
11-17-2010, 08:35 PM
I have seen it. What makes it so special?