PDA

View Full Version : Underbody rust protection

Onassis
11-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Checking out my options right now for the new car and the dealer is suggesting that I grab the rust protection undrercoating for the underbody and wheel wells, but is it worth it and does it actually help prevent rust ? Generally how much more weight does it add to the car ?

dj_rice
11-17-2010, 06:21 PM
DO NOT BUY ANY OF THE SERVICES FROM THE DEALERSHIP.

Propac, rust protection, paint protection, fabric protection. They charge $1899 but it costs them $299 to do. Same goes for tint and alarms. Do not buy anything through the dealership

Your better off going to Canadian Tire and grabbing a few cans. I personally don't know if it prevents rust but all I think it prevents is sound deadens road noise

If your still stuck on getting it done, buy the car and bring it to a shop that does it yourself and pay. That way your cutting out the dealership mark up on it.

PulsePro
11-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Onassis
Checking out my options right now for the new car and the dealer is suggesting that I grab the rust protection undrercoating for the underbody and wheel wells, but is it worth it and does it actually help prevent rust ? Generally how much more weight does it add to the car ?

IIRC, it inhibits rust? I currently have it on my vehicle but it is only driven in the summer. I have heard that third parties will do a better job at a lower price than a dealer. I paid roughly $2500 to do mine. I think there was another thread regarding this a while ago.

Onassis
11-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Hmmmm I'll definately look at getting it done at a shop (as with 3m and all that jazz) but does the undercoating actually do anything ?

bourge73
11-17-2010, 06:30 PM
I always just use that Rockguard/undercoating in that Blue can from Canadian Tire. It works great, its as easy as dead hooker to use, and its like under $10 a can.

v2kai
11-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Hmmmm I'll definately look at getting it done at a shop (as with 3m and all that jazz) but does the undercoating actually do anything ?

it does. as mentioned sound deadening and helps protect the underbody during winter months and gravel roads etc. I would recommend getting it done, not at the dealership but getting it done properly is definitely worth it.

then again I don't know what the winter months are like in skorpios....:dunno: so your call.

Xtrema
11-18-2010, 12:42 AM

I was told some cars cannot have underbody spayed like the 5 series.

So make sure it's ok with your car.

I used to get all those done but unless you live in TO, or go on gravel road lots, it's not really that bad in Calgary.

Supa Dexta
11-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Its messy as fuck to do yourself. Go to walmart or something, thats one job they can handle, and actually do a decent job of.. I know, I'm from the east where this is a necessity.

zipdoa
11-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Undercoating is a rubberized tar-like spray that coats the underneath of your vehicle. It serves two purposes:

#1: Deadens road noise
#2: Prevents rust by creating a barrier between road debris

Rust inhibitor is a high pressure spray that is applied inside the door panels and hatch of a vehicle. It prevents molding (which turns into rust holes) and oxidization inside your door panels. This is very important... even my moms 2002 A4 is developing rust along the base of the door and she keeps it uber clean.

Paint sealant is a thick wax coating which protects your vehicle from dulling and retains its original shine and lusture.

Fabric protection is a 3M spray for your interior which makes liquids pool on top of the fabric so that it doesn't set and stain.

3M wrap is an clear / invisible plastic wrapping which is designed to protect your vehicle from rock chips. Once the 3M has been worn through, it can be removed and the vehicle can be sold with paint that looks like new.

msommers
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd check out Krown rustproofing if you don't feel like doing it yourself.

zipdoa
11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
DO NOT BUY ANY OF THE SERVICES FROM THE DEALERSHIP.

Propac, rust protection, paint protection, fabric protection. They charge $1899 but it costs them $299 to do. Same goes for tint and alarms. Do not buy anything through the dealership

Your better off going to Canadian Tire and grabbing a few cans. I personally don't know if it prevents rust but all I think it prevents is sound deadens road noise

If your still stuck on getting it done, buy the car and bring it to a shop that does it yourself and pay. That way your cutting out the dealership mark up on it. qe

There is definitely a mark up... but cost on 3M ALONE is $390, so your figures are a little 'aggressive'.

OP, if you want to protect your investment, and end up getting more for your vehicle when you sell it, then go for the protection package. There's nothing wrong with the salesman making a little commission, as long as he takes care of you he deserves to make a paycheque.

If you're financing the vehicle, it shouldn't change your payment by more than $11/month.