PDA

View Full Version : Train Station Question

Redlined_8000
11-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Hey guys.

So you know at the train stations they have those power boxes in front of each stall so you can plug in your cars block heater. Does anyone happen to know what time they put electricity through them? I went and parked this morning at 7am and plugged in, but there was no power from it (my extension cord lights up when its passing power). I was just curious because sometimes im off school at like 1pm so if they dont have power till like 3 or 4 then I might as well not plug in at all.

adidas
11-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I think they said last year that they only turn it on for 2hrs a day.

Redlined_8000
11-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Just searched for a bit and i think I found it.

Electrical outlets are not activated until the ambient temperature falls to -20 Celsius. During these times, power is provided on a cycle of 20 minutes on and 40 minutes off during each hour.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/park_n_ride_statistics.html

Kinda wish it was activated at maybe -10 or -15 though. We dont get to many -20's consistently.

chkolny541
11-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Just searched for a bit and i think I found it.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/park_n_ride_statistics.html

Kinda wish it was activated at maybe -10 or -15 though. We dont get to many -20's consistently.

your car shouldnt have any issues starting up though with -15, its really only -25 or so that ppl really start having issues (i have started without a plug when it hit -40 incl windchill, i think like -33 or so w/o, it was the worst starting sound ever, but it turned)

hrdkore
11-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I can confirm that those pedestal outlets only turn on when it is -20 ambient temperature and it is only cycle power turning on for 20-45 mins every couple hours.

Mitsu3000gt
11-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Good synthetic oil + good battery = start every time no matter what the weather. My car will start in -30 with just as much "authority" if you will, as it does when it's +30. I don't have a block heater nor do I see the need for one with a properly equipped car. Granted, if you let your car sit outside for a week in that temperature it may be a different story, but day to day its fine. Windchill doesn't affect the engine temperature really either.