PDA

View Full Version : Full sinthetic oil question.

master hec0
11-17-2010, 08:55 PM
so I just got a 2011 ranger and I am deciding if I should run full synthetic. what is the big deference/advantages between synthetic and conventional.

know1edge
11-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Doesn't break down as easily, better protection, less environmental impact.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Cost per oil change doesnt out weigh the very negligible benefits. That truck uses a very reliable but old school V6 that doesn't have huge demands of lubrication.

Regular conventional oil at proper intervals and it will last forever. Those trucks are rock solid because they've never changed.

know1edge
11-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Cost per oil change doesnt out weigh the very negligible benefits. That truck uses a very reliable but old school V6 that doesn't have huge demands of lubrication.

Regular conventional oil at proper intervals and it will last forever. Those trucks are rock solid because they've never changed.

Ya but if you're going with the higher oil change intervals with synthetic, the cost works to be just about even.

Cooked Rice
11-18-2010, 04:56 AM
Better protection with cold starts. Especially in winter!

YamahaV8
11-18-2010, 07:10 AM
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Read this

AE92_TreunoSC
11-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by know1edge

Ya but if you're going with the higher oil change intervals with synthetic, the cost works to be just about even.

Synthetics aren't made to be used as a interval extension.

Also with Calgary winters and rapid condensation, water is more likely to contaminate any oil front to rear. Especially in a heated garage. This further pushes the need for regular intervals. Synthetic or conventional.

This is always a heated subject, but I think for this engine in question conventional is the road to take, that link posted is a good read for sure, but again, I think the benefits on an older style engine like the rangers would hardly notice the difference. It has larger clearances and higher tolerances.

PremiumRSX
11-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I think for some motors, it doesn't matter if you only run conventional oil.

Although, I do believe in the benefits of running synthetic.

master hec0
11-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Well the reason I ask is because ford reccomends 12000km/6 month oil changes. Significantly higher then any other ranger I have ever owned. Anybody know what the factory fill was?

YamahaV8
11-18-2010, 10:26 AM
I would definately use synthetic if you plan on using that schedule. I would never use conventional over 5000K.

master hec0
11-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Alright. That was my concern any brand you would suggest? I'm leaning towards mobil1

CapnCrunch
11-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by master hec0
Alright. That was my concern any brand you would suggest? I'm leaning towards mobil1

Any synthetic oil will be fine. The brand won't matter. Just get whatever you find on sale.

CapnCrunch
11-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Synthetics aren't made to be used as a interval extension.

Thats probably the single most important benefit of using a synthetic.

sillysod
11-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Thats probably the single most important benefit of using a synthetic.

How the fact that they are fluid still at much colder temperatures?

Iceman_19
11-18-2010, 07:03 PM
You dont want to run synthetic in a brand new engine BTW, just a heads up. Break it in first.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
12,000 is becoming the norm, and its stupid to run conventional past 5000, I agree.

I think that 12,000 is to keep the tree huggers happy and use less oil consumption per car.

My point is that synthetic was not engineered to act as an extension to changes, sump size dictates intervals, as a certain amount of oil (conventional or synthetic) can only suspend so many particulates and contaminants.

Never go over manufacturer limits, only under.

YamahaV8
11-18-2010, 07:39 PM
12,000 is becoming the norm, and its stupid to run conventional past 5000, I agree.

I think that 12,000 is to keep the tree huggers happy and use less oil consumption per car.

My point is that synthetic was not engineered to act as an extension to changes, sump size dictates intervals, as a certain amount of oil (conventional or synthetic) can only suspend so many particulates and contaminants.

Point is, never go over manufacturer limits, only under.

Please read this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Capacity does play a part in oil change intervals but so do a lot of other things.

Synthetics have many pros over conventional. They are more slippery, contain no wax, are more fluid at low temperatures, have a higher film strength which reduces consumption and improves metal to metal separation. They also contain more detergents and additives since they don't need polymers like conventional oils which means they can hold more dirt therefore extending their life in an engine.

A high end synthetic could probably go for 25,000km if you changed the filter regularly. Of course I am refering to pure 100% synthetics. Mobil 1 is good but really whatever synthetic is on sale at the time. A really good oil filter is also very important and is something people seem to not care about.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by YamahaV8

Please read this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Capacity does play a part in oil change intervals but so do a lot of other things.

Synthetics have many pros over conventional. They are more slippery, contain no wax, are more fluid at low temperatures, have a higher film strength which reduces consumption and improves metal to metal separation. They also contain more detergents and additives since they don't need polymers like conventional oils which means they can hold more dirt therefore extending their life in an engine.

A high end synthetic could probably go for 25,000km if you changed the filter regularly. Of course I am refering to pure 100% synthetics. Mobil 1 is good but really whatever synthetic is on sale at the time. A really good oil filter is also very important and is something people seem to not care about.

I did read it earlier and agree with a lot, however I still retain my opinion that an owner should not extend a set interval.

I agree they don't break down as easily, but I believe car's are engineered for different oil capacities and oil specifications, and they should stick to specific intervals. Especially in harsh conditions.

I work with a lot of cars that run synthetic and conventional, and the cars that truly last the longest, are the guys who stick to intervals, and don't push oil changes simply because they are running synthetic, whether it be amsoil, royal purple or measly mobil1/syntec.

Most lubrication failures I see are about 5000-10000kms over due on their oil changes. Syn or no syn it doesnt seem to make a difference. This is more experience with canadian cars, of all makes, not scientific obviously.

PulsePro
11-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by master hec0

I would suggest castrol.

I used to put Mobil1 until I've heard from somewhere that mobil1's refinement level has decreased. Not 100% sure. I also believe Land Rover uses castrol now and the new 2011 Range Rover's service interval is 1year/24000kms :nut:

Sil80_D
11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Mobil 1 used to be an esther base... and to be honest, so did Castrol syntec apparently a decade ago... lol.
Mobil 1's changed it's formula but it ain't no pushover. It pretty much competes directly with castrol syntec.
I think there was a thread on beyond about mobil 1 changing it's formula... not entirely sure though.

Doesn't really matter too much which synthetic you drop in there. And I'm with truenoSC... you should stick with you interval regardless if you are using a "synthetic" oil.

CapnCrunch
11-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Iceman_19
You dont want to run synthetic in a brand new engine BTW, just a heads up. Break it in first.

Thats not true at all. Synthetic oil doesn't prevent break-in. Who told you that?

CapnCrunch
11-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Sil80_D
you should stick with you interval regardless if you are using a "synthetic" oil. [/B]

I don't know what you are basing this on, but there are endless amounts of proof out there that they can handle extended drains.

Iceman_19
11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Thats not true at all. Synthetic oil doesn't prevent break-in. Who told you that?

It doesnt prevent it, but I dont know who would say its ok to use. Even professional engine builders break engines in with dyno oil.

YamahaV8
11-19-2010, 12:57 PM

It doesnt prevent it, but I dont know who would say its ok to use. Even professional engine builders break engines in with dyno oil.

I have heard this too but I would change over to synthetic at the first or second oil change interval. New engines don't require the strict break in procedures compared to engines of old.

Alak
11-19-2010, 06:24 PM
OP, if you have a 2011 Ford Ranger, you run what the owners manual specifies. Which doesnt entirely matter because your bringing it to the dealer for service. If you service it yourself, I still highly recommend factory filters and factory recommended oil. This is more of a warrenty thing than anything.

EDIT: I just wanted to add, that the only difference I've seen of synthetic over conventional, is that if its REALLY COLD (Like today) and you didnt plug your truck in (even if you did sometimes), initial startup is much easier with synthetic.

master hec0
11-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Alak
OP, if you have a 2011 Ford Ranger, you run what the owners manual specifies. Which doesnt entirely matter because your bringing it to the dealer for service. If you service it yourself, I still highly recommend factory filters and factory recommended oil. This is more of a warrenty thing than anything.

EDIT: I just wanted to add, that the only difference I've seen of synthetic over conventional, is that if its REALLY COLD (Like today) and you didnt plug your truck in (even if you did sometimes), initial startup is much easier with synthetic.

yeah It hard started this morning and after work. Im doing my oil myself because I don't want anybody else touching my truck and I can do a synthetic oil change for the same price as having them do a conventional change. My owners manual does not specify any witch way but the factory fill is 5-30 synthetic blend. On the 1st oil change im going full synthetic just because of cold starting. and I already bought a factory filter no more fram for me.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-19-2010, 08:09 PM
You will risk having your warranty voided if you do the oil change yourself.

A licensed shop needs to do it.

I've talked to ford techs who have denied claims to DIY'ers

zipdoa
11-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Nissans GT-R uses Mobil 1 0w-40 and that's it... that should be enough reason to use Mobil 1.

Alak
11-20-2010, 03:57 AM
You will risk having your warranty voided if you do the oil change yourself.

A licensed shop needs to do it.

I've talked to ford techs who have denied claims to DIY'ers

No, he just has to have the recepts to show that he bought the proper manufactuerer specified oil and filter. I'd recommend keeping a log book. I do, and that goes for everything I do. Light bulbs to lift kits.

I know it will likely cause problems if you do have a warrenty claim and do your own oil changes. But if you keep ALL records, and do exactly as the service manual specifies, you'll be okay. I did all my own servicing on my brand new miata (back in 05) and I never had a problem getting any claims done, and its the same warrenty department as ford. You just have to have records and prove you were doing everything as specified.

Abeo
11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Do you have the 2.3 or the 4.0? The 4.0 goes way back, but recently got overhead cams. The 2.3 is a modern engine; it has nothing to do with the old 2.3/2.5 that was in the truck prior to 2001 (it is the same block as the escape/focus/mazda3/mx5/etc).

I believe both the 2.3 and the 4.0 use a 5w20 oil, and the factory ford stuff is semi-syn and made by valvoline. I broke in my 2.3 with factory fill, and went with synthetic from there. Makes a difference in cold starting, and I feel safer with it in there due to the small sump (~3.7 L). I can't speak for the 4.0.

master hec0
11-21-2010, 12:38 AM
I made sure that diy oil change was acceptable and it was with receipts the factory oil is 5w30 I am going to run synthetic just because it won't harm anything but my pocketbook. I'm going to run ford filters (no more crappy fram for me) and it is the 4.0L

CapnCrunch
11-23-2010, 12:27 PM

Even BMW, Porsche and Ferrari come with synthetics from the factory. That sounds like pretty good advice to me.

CapnCrunch
11-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by YamahaV8

I have heard this too but I would change over to synthetic at the first or second oil change interval. New engines don't require the strict break in procedures compared to engines of old.

I hope you're an Amsoil fan and not a rep, because you should be much more informed about this than you seem to let on.