PDA

View Full Version : LF: recomendations for vynil siding repair company

spikerS
11-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Looking to find someone to replace some vinyl siding that is damaged. One piece has a hole in it, and there are a few pieces on the back of the house that have screw holes from where a satellite system was installed.

I have heard it is easy to do on my own, but I don't want to chance it, so, here I am...

garnet
11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
hey Chris
you helped me out before, i'll come over and help you replace those pieces
PM me

A790
11-19-2010, 02:33 PM
www.big5.ca

broken_legs
11-21-2010, 02:32 AM
I just re-sided about 60% of a house. It took 2 days. It was one of the easiest things I have ever done.

Look online for a vinyl siding DIY video. super super easy.

Just don't wreck the existing siding when you take it off, and you can put it all back on again.

The biggest thing will be matching the colour of your existing siding to the any new siding that you buy - The sun fades the colours over years so it might difficult and you may have to wait a few days or weeks to get the right colour in.

Swank
03-17-2016, 10:31 AM
This was the only thread where I found a recommendation for a siding company, and after looking into it further I recently had a repair job done on my cedar siding by Big 5 Exteriors Ltd.

They seemed to be fairly decent overall, but I've never been through any kind of job like this so I didn't have anything to compare the experience against. After purchasing a new place I discovered this past summer that one of my windows leaked a lot right into the walls. I promptly had the windows replaced, and during that process they found significant rot and damage to the siding. After struggling for a few months with insurance and the condo board (neither of which would pay) I was able to get going on the repair and reached out to Big 5.

The initial quote was for $1500-$2500 depending on if the plywood needed to be replaced in addition to the siding, but no telling what was behind the siding until removing it. Once they removed the siding the horror behind it was revealed. All the plywood and studs we rotted, insulation was shot too, and the interior drywall had yet to be assessed. The quote was promptly revised to $2500-$5000.

The next day they were able to determine that the drywall was fine and there were no concerns about mold. They ordered new 14' studs which took one day longer than expected, then another one day delay was introduced when they found out the siding was painted on the wrong side (prior to install obviously). After day 3 everything was fully repaired and you can't tell anything was ever wrong. The total came out to ~$4700. The area done was one of the top areas seen here (https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9964767,-114.1281294,3a,75y,255.31h,100t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPDD7LXrpwdnS8Fd1VC70dw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656) where a section with 2 windows sticks out, so not overly large like an entire side of a house.

I've seen one other unit have this same repair done, coincidentally done by Big 5 too, but their damage included flooring also, yikes. I'm happy with the results, I don't know if I paid too much, it would be nice to see photos throughout the process so I could judge the value of the work, but I'm just glad to have it over and done. They were pretty quick and good guys to deal with.

Hopefully this helps others decide who to go with for a siding repair company (they do other stuff too).

A790
03-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Swank
This was the only thread where I found a recommendation for a siding company, and after looking into it further I recently had a repair job done on my cedar siding by Big 5 Exteriors Ltd.

They seemed to be fairly decent overall, but I've never been through any kind of job like this so I didn't have anything to compare the experience against. After purchasing a new place I discovered this past summer that one of my windows leaked a lot right into the walls. I promptly had the windows replaced, and during that process they found significant rot and damage to the siding. After struggling for a few months with insurance and the condo board (neither of which would pay) I was able to get going on the repair and reached out to Big 5.

The initial quote was for $1500-$2500 depending on if the plywood needed to be replaced in addition to the siding, but no telling what was behind the siding until removing it. Once they removed the siding the horror behind it was revealed. All the plywood and studs we rotted, insulation was shot too, and the interior drywall had yet to be assessed. The quote was promptly revised to $2500-$5000.

The next day they were able to determine that the drywall was fine and there were no concerns about mold. They ordered new 14' studs which took one day longer than expected, then another one day delay was introduced when they found out the siding was painted on the wrong side (prior to install obviously). After day 3 everything was fully repaired and you can't tell anything was ever wrong. The total came out to ~$4700. The area done was one of the top areas seen here (https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9964767,-114.1281294,3a,75y,255.31h,100t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPDD7LXrpwdnS8Fd1VC70dw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656) where a section with 2 windows sticks out, so not overly large like an entire side of a house.

I've seen one other unit have this same repair done, coincidentally done by Big 5 too, but their damage included flooring also, yikes. I'm happy with the results, I don't know if I paid too much, it would be nice to see photos throughout the process so I could judge the value of the work, but I'm just glad to have it over and done. They were pretty quick and good guys to deal with.

Hopefully this helps others decide who to go with for a siding repair company (they do other stuff too).
Big 5 is my brother/step-dad's business, so I just wanted to say thank you for choosing them. Derek works hard and prices competitively because (and you can't make this stuff up): "people aren't stupid and they talk to each other".

Right now times are a little tough. If you'd be willing to leave a review on Google he (and I) would both really appreciate it. The link to do so is here: https://www.google.ca/search?q=big+5+exteriors+calgary&oq=big+5+exteriors+calgary&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.2272j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x53716500c51e5383:0xd3e98b72ecd81775,3,,

Also, if you have any feedback that I could pass along to Derek I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks for supporting my family!

Swank
03-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Done, and glad to keep business within the beyond community! I think I'll reach out to Derek and see if they do have any photos of the work they can share with me. I know some were taken.

A790
03-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Appreciated, thank you!

codetrap
03-17-2016, 11:49 AM

macman64
03-19-2016, 01:38 PM
A friend of mine does repairs to siding without replacing it the pieces. They seem to do a decent job, I have never needed to use them but I know a good bit of the company and they are solid people.

http://www.newcreations.com/services/home/exterior/