PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Aristo's

Shlade
11-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Looking for some feedback on this particular car..

From what I hear the 2jz is pretty bulletproof and a great motor.

Im thinking about importing one to use as a daily driver/good cozy and warm winter car. What kind of problems do these cars normally have?

Other than the regular stuff that should be done on the car like brakes, oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid and all that junk that should get replaced what could I expect from a car like that?

Spare the the JDM bullshit im just looking for peoples experiences with these cars.

Thanks

Kardon
11-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Great cars, they do seem to suffer from worn suspension in the front quite often. Also the 2JZGTE (Aristo V) has a unique nitrogen assisted brake system, most cars seem to suffer from issues stemming from that unique system. Very hard problem to solve. Overall a very nice, car with alot of power. LSD was an option but quite a rare one. Cars may also need new valve stem seals.

Also, suspension parts are $$ because they're from lexus.

whatthe
11-19-2010, 07:12 PM
I've had my Aristo for about 4 years, plan on selling it as soon as my IS is done, but still driving and love the car. There seem to be a lot of guys who only manage to run mid 14s or slower with some mods or stockish... I ran low 13s three years ago the only time I took mine to the track. They need a few basic things sorted to make them quick.

There are soarer guys with an easy fix on the nitrogen accumulator for the brake system. Otherwise, it has the same rotors as my IS did, and not really that hard to sort.

All 2JZs will suffer valve stem failure at some point. I've replaced mine and timing belt.

Coil packs tend to flame out. Lack of power, inconsistent spark. I'm using some low mileage Supra.

stock BOV likes to leak. robs you of a little power.

The oem ceramic turbos can overboost if the exhaust system is too open. Seal opens up and they start to smoke shortly after on large open straight through exhausts. The north american turbos are probably good for another 40hp or so, and won't suffer from the same problem.

Lexus doesn't have the factory electric shocks that the Aristo does, you might as well buy any OEM GS300 replacement or grab some coilovers off of fleebay for jzs147.

There are a few other minor things. I would buy locally as there are lots of options here, and you won't have to deal with inspection, and you can probably find one with most of hte above items done already.

Good luck on your hunt, I highly recommend the leather option as well. The cloth should never have been allowed.

Shlade
11-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Hmm interesting stuff about it thats for sure..

Since I am in the hunt for a new winter/dd what do you guys reccomend? Id like something JDM but want something reasonably reliable. Id like to see what you guys have to offer.

Kardon
11-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Well id say you're on the right track with Toyota :thumbsup:
The Aristo was pretty solid in winter with some good tires and a full tank of gas (Gas tank is between rear seats and trunk, directly above axles). I'd definitely get another but I'm gonna wait for the 161's to land. I would also consider a Supra, but for the $ you would have to compare to the 5-speed nonturbo, but even that would be a nice dd/winter.

Shlade
11-20-2010, 06:50 AM
A non turbo would probably be a better idea for a DD. Id love me a supra but the insurance would be too expensive :(

Thats why a 4 door Aristo works best in my favor for money wise!

sr20s14zenki
11-20-2010, 07:56 AM
How about a hilux surf? After driving a truck this winter, i dont think ill ever go back to cars again. Its great...so great.

Hilux=4x4, diesel, 4 door, sounds like a good combo? :D

Shlade
11-20-2010, 10:16 AM
That wouldnt be bad but those dont come cheap AT ALL!

I might actually look into a older 4runner or a tacoma maybe.. that would be a good all year round truck.

Kardon
11-20-2010, 11:32 AM
That was pretty much the path I started to look down, ended up getting a land cruiser. I'd look for a 3.0 Diesel Hilux Surf, or perhaps take a gander at 1996 Remodel Hilux surfs, they will be landing soon too. Considered a 4.0L 1UZ Aristo/Soarer? If you can find a V8 aristo, you'll also get AWD.

Sentry
11-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah I was gonna recommend you get a 1UZ AWD one. They're actually usually cheaper than the 2JZ cars and I think they would make a better daily/winter beater.

spacerz
11-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Look into a JDM Toyota Celica GT-Four AWD.

whatthe
11-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Just to be clear, Aristo isn't likely to leave you stranded. 90-95% of the issues are annoyances that will just take away from full power potential or can be dealt with later.

There are probably 1-2 weeks a year cumulative where the main roads are bad enough that you want AWD or 4x4... and I would rather drive the wifes highlander during those 2 weeks. But as long as the road is mostly clear the versions of Aristo with LSDs hook up quite well.

Shlade
11-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Sweet. Ill look into it asap.

Thanks guys

Dope7
11-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Aristos ftw

texasnick
11-22-2010, 05:42 PM
I would also recommend an st205 celica GT-Four.....but I'm a bit biased.

I picked mine up for relatively cheap (relative to AWD turbos from N/A, and cheap even compared to JDM WRXs).....I've put nearly 40,000 km on it since January, and other than normal maintenance and replacing 15 year old rubber parts/random things, it hasn't missed a beat.

It is MORE than capable at handling the winter roads, and the handling is very predictable.

Doing any work on it though (and I mean ANYTHING) is a huge PITA. Either do the work yourself or be prepared to spend $$$ to get it fixed by someone who's never worked on one before.

There are certain things that you'll want to keep an eye out for when / if you pick one up (superstrut suspension comes to mind, clutch too), but we'll worry about that once you decide on the car :poosie:

aristocrat
11-26-2010, 06:48 PM
I Love my aristos. Im on my second one and will never get another JDM car other than an aristo

Having had a hilux surf, aristos, a soarer, a silvia.

Nothing compares.

Im a DIEHARD aristo fan, and for a reason.

Ukyo8
11-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Kardon
If you can find a V8 aristo, you'll also get AWD.

Hahaha awesome..

PQMu5jPagRg

black13
11-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by aristocrat
I Love my aristos. Im on my second one and will never get another JDM car other than an aristo

Having had a hilux surf, aristos, a soarer, a silvia.

Nothing compares.

Im a DIEHARD aristo fan, and for a reason.

how is it different from a soarer aside from the fact that its 4 door and has a 2j in it?

Kardon
11-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by black13

how is it different from a soarer aside from the fact that its 4 door and has a 2j in it?
The quality of the car I'd say. Everything is top notch.

aristocrat
11-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Things in a soarer just dont feel the same. It just drives completely differently. I still have to soarer which is in mint condition, 40,000 kms. Selling it actually, and i have a beat up aristo with 175,000 kms and i choose it over the soarer. Though, i am very biased based on that ive had an aristo before.

black13
11-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Interesting. I've never driven an aristo but on paper they seem so identical. Quality of Soarer seems fine to me but the interior panels do have a tendancy to crack.

But in terms of price, weight, and parts availability I think the Soarer is better and IMO it has better looks and the digital dash is very nice and a lack of handbrake in Aristo is odd.

Kardon
11-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Nothing in my leather Aristo was hard enough to crack, nothing in that interior was flimsy or cheap.

Its like comparing the Soarer to a Supra.

...and a lack of handbrake in Aristo is odd.

Car was never built with a standard, so they used the foot pedal style ebrake. Makes sense in a 4 door sedan thats only auto IMO..

black13
11-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Kardon
Nothing in my leather Aristo was hard enough to crack, nothing in that interior was flimsy or cheap.

Its like comparing the Soarer to a Supra.
what do you mean by this? as in the supra feels "cheap" compared to the soarer or vice versa?

Car was never built with a standard, so they used the foot pedal style ebrake. Makes sense in a 4 door sedan thats only auto IMO..
Really so no manual ever? even for the GS300? But in that case then yea that makes sense.

Shlade
11-26-2010, 11:53 PM
May of found an aristo in interested in going to go check out..

Hopefully he replys tomorrow so I can go see it.

Shlade
11-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Checking this one out tomorrow.

What do you guys think? Should the mileage on the 2j be fine?

Im sure I could do some work to the back bumper. Where Could I get a replacement taillight tho?

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-Toyota-Aristo-Twin-Turbo-W0QQAdIdZ244807137

ercchry
11-28-2010, 12:52 AM
^ that thing looks rough....

have you looked into celsiors at all? type c with massaging rear seat, power everything... air ride.... :love:

http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars/spread/700030260720101125001.html

if you are looking at importing tack on about $2g to that price for cars straight from japan for a rough landed price, auctions are normally keeper than online sites though

edit: okay, this one is way nicer http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars/spread/700040039320101109005.html

Shlade
11-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Deffs looked into the Celsiors for sure. They dont look bad at all and even the North american version is sooooooo comfy to drive..

Ill take a look at this aristo tomorrow. It would be a winter/dd beater anyways but need to get under the car and shit too and see if im dealing with more than just cosmetic issues.

Edit: aw god damn why did you have to show me that last one... that thing is mint!!

ercchry
11-28-2010, 01:07 AM
i loved my celsior... it was a ucf11 but not the type c, i think it was a b. but even still it was by far the most relaxing car i have ever owned, you just couldnt get angry driving it. but beware, it may cause sleepiness due to you forgetting you are in a car and thinking you are at home on your couch :rofl:

but with a type c you get the most pimp back seat ever! not sure what year they started it, but some even have a fridge on the back :rofl:

rear seats recline, are heated and have massage haha and with the ucf11 or 21 you get the air ride, and all you need is a controller and you can slam the car to the ground (that black one i posted already has a controller in it too)

Shlade
11-28-2010, 01:12 AM
lol id park my bullitt for a while then and just roll with that lol!

The black one would be so sick.. Maybe Ill give a talk to mr. hogg haha.. Im sure you know who that is..

ercchry
11-28-2010, 01:18 AM
of course! if you hurry chris is still in japan and might be able to hit up an action for you

Shlade
11-28-2010, 01:20 AM
Yeah ive been talking to him lately and chris says theres quite a few good cars up there according to spence. I gotta go visit the bank monday so I can see what kind of budget I can get then ill check into importing a bit more...

aristocrat
11-29-2010, 02:28 AM
Quite an interesting situation. I have to sell one of my cars, soarer or the aristo.
Seems like your price range compared to that one you looked at..

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Twin-turbo-Toyota-Aristo-W0QQAdIdZ242174965

I parked too close to a curb the other day and misaligned the front bumper on it:banghead:
Gonna lower the price to 4.

Shlade
11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Damn thats a pretty good price...

Aristocrat ill let you know thats pretty much in my price range. Edmonton tho hey... thatd be an interesting trip lol.

I did check out the aristo I posted from kijiji yesterday.. The interior is in very fair condition.. except the auto shifter. Its snapped off lol. I dont even know how to go ahead and have to change that assembly.

The rear right taillight is cracked.. god knows where to find that and how expensive it would be. Front bumper is cheap fiberglass and back bumper is aswell. Back bumper isnt even salvagable.

Overall decent car with a minor coolant leak. $4500 for that car.. Nuh-uh.

aristocrat
12-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Imo its worth checking out.
As far as the trip to edmonton, its not that bad. I just put brand new winter tires on it but idk if it could let those go with it for 4.

Just send me a message if you want more pictures or anything.

JZS_147
12-02-2010, 06:07 PM

what do you mean by this? as in the supra feels "cheap" compared to the soarer or vice versa?

Really so no manual ever? even for the GS300? But in that case then yea that makes sense.

nope, no manual, ever, for any GS or Aristo.

Both mine and my girlfriends were swapped.

bourge73
12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Well on a positive Slade you wont have to learn to shift with your left....Bullits too nice to drive now days anyways.

Kardon
12-02-2010, 07:24 PM

No, Supra is much nicer than soarer.

And as JZS mentioned, no auto ever. Only IS300 I suppose for standard lexus.

Originally posted by Shlade
The rear right taillight is cracked.. god knows where to find that and how expensive it would be.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-ARISTO-JZS147-GS300-400-TAIL-LIGHTS-AND-GARNISH-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5640f21873QQitemZ370456795251QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

parts like what you need aren't too hard to find.

Shlade
12-03-2010, 12:46 AM
fuuuuuuuuuuuuck i need a new winter car soooo bad! my pos civic freezes the windows inside and i cant see shit! and when i scrape it off it comes back right away!

I need to figure out how much insurance would be on it! What would insurance companies classify this car? under lexus or do you think theyd have toyota aristo in there?

JZS_147
12-03-2010, 03:30 PM
they classify it as a toyota aristo.

and the rates are just as cheap as any 4 door low profile old man sedan.

ercchry
12-03-2010, 03:32 PM
i would just go with liability, same price regardless of the car too