PDA

View Full Version : Beef Wellington in Calgary?

Isaiah
11-19-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm being treated to dinner tomorrow and am craving beef wellington. Any suggestions as to where in Calgary we can go that offers a nice atmosphere, extensive wine list, and a terrific beef wellington?

dirtsniffer
11-19-2010, 05:30 PM
wellingtons? its good stuff, but ive never had the wellington

wintonyk
11-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

haven't been there in a number of years. But thats where I had beef wellington last. Great!

Just googled calgary beef wellington. came up with this link

Arlo's (http://www.world66.com/northamerica/canada/alberta/calgary/restaurants/arlos)

Guillermo
11-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

i was just gonna suggest this. i haven't been there myself, but i've heard nothing but great things about it.

Isaiah
11-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I had already googled it and come up with Arlo's but was looking for more of a personal recommendation from someone who has actually had one in the city.

Beef Wellington is an extremely difficult dish to perfect and more often than not restaurants that serve it have trouble getting it any better than mediocre. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Guillermo
11-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Did you decide where you're going? I've never actually had beef wellington, but would love to try it from a place that does it well!

msommers
11-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Ramsy said it took him over a year to perfect that dish. Everytime I see it I want to try it but always thought it was an English thing mainly.

Might just have to try Arlo's.

BigMass
11-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Ramsy said it took him over a year to perfect that dish. Everytime I see it I want to try it but always thought it was an English thing mainly.

Yeah seems like a long shot to get a nice fresh, good quality one done up. Lots of things that can go wrong and Calgary isn’t exactly known for high standards in fine dining. However, I have not been to Arlo’s yet so I guess I can’t properly judge.

Isaiah
11-20-2010, 02:21 PM

y1orR1HGv0s

dj_rice
11-20-2010, 02:27 PM

Taken from Wikipedia.

"The origin of the name is unclear.[1] There are theories that suggest that beef Wellington is named after Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington. Some theories go a step further and suggest this was due to his love of a dish of beef, truffles, mushrooms, Madeira wine, and pâté cooked in pastry, but there is a noted lack of evidence supporting this. [2] In addition to the dearth of evidence attaching this dish to the famous Duke, the earliest recorded recipe to bear this name appeared in a 1966 cookbook. Other accounts simply credit the name to a patriotic chef wanting to give an English name to a variation on the French filet de bœuf en croûte during the Napoleonic Wars. Still another theory is that the dish is not named after the Duke himself, but rather that the finished joint was thought to resemble one of the brown shiny military boots which were named after him"

I tried searching French restaurants and British restaurants on Google but no dice

Guillermo
11-20-2010, 03:09 PM
to be honest, I didn't even know exactly what beef wellington was until this thread. i thought it was more of a pie.

look at this :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Beef_Wellington_-_Crosscut.jpg/800px-Beef_Wellington_-_Crosscut.jpg

Isaiah
11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
to be honest, I didn't even know exactly what beef wellington was until this thread. i thought it was more of a pie.

look at this :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Beef_Wellington_-_Crosscut.jpg/800px-Beef_Wellington_-_Crosscut.jpg
Check the one at the end of the Ramsay video a few posts up. Looks pretty close. I'll post back if I find a good one and do a nice review. Probably end up hitting Arlo's.

Guillermo
11-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

y1orR1HGv0s

somehow I missed that video when I read the thread. man, that looks fucking delicious. you HAVE to do a review, man!

msommers
11-21-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm kind of a dork and really like watching Ramsay's shows despite his over-reactions to just about everything. Here is him talking his Wellington again.

Fwd 11:24

nCTxwXwTBmQ

D'z Nutz
11-21-2010, 02:47 AM
Hahaha I'm glad I'm not the only that wants one after watching each episode of Hell's Kitchen :rofl:

kaput
11-21-2010, 10:01 AM

D'z Nutz
11-21-2010, 10:15 AM
pr9Iu4s7SQ4

wintonyk
11-21-2010, 11:00 AM
thanks d'z the suspense was killin me.

msommers
11-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Kaput :rofl: I was kind of happy the way it turned out. The dude was a good chef but arrogant as fuck. To see him balling his eyes out probably put him in his place. That and the fact he lost to some girl who was...21 I think?

AaronK
11-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Has anyone found a place in town that makes these well? Ever since I've seen him making these I have been dying to try one!

polarice
05-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Bump...

Anyone had local beef wellington lately?

Chandler_Racing
05-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Wellington's does.

I would say it's the best place in Calgary.

Disoblige
05-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Filet of Beef Wellington

http://wellingtonsofcalgary.com/images/File/Dinner_menu.pdf

I want to try what it's suppose to taste like, so I can try to mimic it at home.

ottamania
05-04-2011, 01:18 AM
I had their rib eye steak not long ago. it was very nice. Rice pudding wasnt that great tho.

lint
05-04-2011, 07:25 AM
RIP
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2007/07/04/WELLINGTON_B1.JPG

Toma
05-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by lint
RIP
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2007/07/04/WELLINGTON_B1.JPG

Jesus, that brings back OLD memories.....

Had to throw Biff out of the Crowchild Inn one night, maybe 15 years ago lol....

Didn't know he passed away. RIP

Gainsbarre
05-04-2011, 04:22 PM
!! Biff Wellington

Ya his death was forgotten about because it happened right at the same time as that whole Chris Benoit thing in June 2007.

:hijack:

Cooked Rice
05-08-2011, 08:10 AM
I followed Ramsay's recipe awhile back and it ended up pretty good. I just got back from the UK, a shame I didn't get around to trying some over there.

polarice
05-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I went to Wellingtons as suggested and the gf had the beef wellington. She said the pastry was really good, the patte was a bit odd, and the beef wasn't seasoned. It was cooked properly and was tender but the lack of seasoning gave it a 7/10 for her. Not sure it was worth the 33.00 lol but she finally got to try it!

00redLUDE
05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
^^^ Really? My family and went there as well, thanks to this thread, and I thought the beef wellington was nicely seasoned, the foie gras added a nice smooth buttery texture to the beef and the pastry was excellent. The wine selection wasn't that bad either. We liked it that much that we went back the next week and it was just as good! My wife had the salmon wellington, which wasn't that good but at least we tried it.

Xtrema
08-29-2011, 06:29 PM
^ Damn this thread and I haul my ass there.

It's pretty good and I like the beef not seasoned but just seared. Good place but looks like we got the new guy and he made the Caesar salad (at the table) with too much pepper.

phreezee
12-27-2011, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by polarice
Bump...

Anyone had local beef wellington lately?

Made this for xmas instead of turkey and it was effing good! Used Ramsey's recipe.

Absolutely gorgeous rare red in the middle and tender no matter how thickly sliced. The mushrooms and prosciutto seasoned the meat deliciously well.

gqmw
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I went to Wellingtons a little while back in December. Their wellington is said to be "Gordon Ramsay approved" - I was told this at the restaurant, don't know the validity of this though. The actual beef ellington was pretty good, but I was very unimpressed with the service I received.

I had terrible service and the waiter got half the orders wrong for our table. A few of us ordered 10 oz wellingtons, but only one person got a 10oz wellington, everyone else got 6oz wellingtons. When we got our 6oz wellingtons instead of the 10oz ones that we had requested, waiter basically said you guys ordered the 6oz I didn't hear you order the 10oz, too bad. On top of that, he misquoted us for the price of a larger wellington.

So as an attempt to fix his mistake, he asks if I would like a 4 oz steak with baked potato for $8. I said sure why not. He goes and does that for me. Come the bill time, he hands us the bill, I look down and see that the 4 oz steak and baked potato was actually $20...

Needless to say I was not impressed, he basically said oh yeah I told you wrong, that's the correct price, I don't make the prices. He expected me to pay the price on the bill.

I was not happy at all with that and in the end he said that he would take care of the extra amount and I just need to pay what he quoted me.

In hindsight I feel as though I should have talked to the manager about this situation. One of the worst, most rude servers I have ever dealt with in my life.