PDA

View Full Version : Parking Permit and neighbors issue

jaylo
11-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I finally applied for a Parking Permit on Tuesday after living in my area for over a year and started parking around my neighborhood.

I used to live about 7 blocks away (by Sunnyside Station) and the Parking Permit "L" lets you park pretty much anywhere in Sunnyside. I now reside at Parkdale along Memorial Drive (by the Extreme Bean Cafe).

I find it convenient especially on this weather to park close to the Calgary Curling Club as I work near the Suncor bldg.

On my third day (Friday) of parking beside this corner house, I received this note on my windshield:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5020/dsc05233small.jpg

So, what are my options here?

1. Be a good neighbor, park across the street or further down the block

2. Park around the same spot, worry about the car getting vandalized

(edited 3. and 4. as they were just a joke)

:rolleyes:

jaylo
11-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Google street map of the said parking spot, it's the "Castle" house on the right that left me the note

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5162/sunnyside.jpg

;)

projekz
11-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Set their house on fire and wait for them outside, when they get out chase them with a baseball bat screaming as loud as you can.:eek:

In all seriousness, if the street is as open as they say I would just park down the road a bit. It's easy and hassle free.:dunno:

speedog
11-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Noticed on Google Streetview that there's a handicap parking zone on the east side alongside that house - that may be part of that home owner's reasoning for placing the note as they may not be able their vehicles that don't have handicapped stickers in that handicap zone. They'd have to park where you're parking and that home doesn't appear to have any off street parking.

kaput
11-19-2010, 11:06 PM

speedog
11-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Good point, kaput. We used to own a home on 17th Avenue NW in Mount Pleasant and I'd walk to work (3+ km) in downtown in -25C weather. Sunnyside is barely far enough from downtown to break out in a sweat.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-19-2010, 11:26 PM
They asked nicely, your permit is moreso for parking infront of your house.

Why even start your car? Walk 7 blocks more, who cares?

Unknown303
11-19-2010, 11:29 PM
This thread makes me want to punch babies.

94boosted
11-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I spent the last few minutes trying to put into words how ridiculous this is and just couldn't do it. I can't believe you actually drive 7 blocks to the pedestrian bridge only to end up walking from there anyway, never mind that you would want to start a war over walking an extra 100 feet with what seems to be reasonable people. :guns:

:werd:

These people left you a polite note to please not park in front of their house and your whining and bitching about it :banghead: suck it up and walk the extra 20 feet.

jaylo
11-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I spent the last few minutes trying to put into words how ridiculous this is and just couldn't do it. I can't believe you actually drive 7 blocks to the pedestrian bridge only to end up walking from there anyway, never mind that you would want to start a war over walking an extra 100 feet with what seems to be reasonable people. :guns:

Sorry, my bad, I did not clarify, I USED to live in Sunnyside and I still have the property there (for rental) and I presently live at Parkdale.

No, I do not drive 7 blocks just to park there.

I edited my original post, thanks for pointing that out, it has been a long day

speedog
11-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by jaylo
Sorry, my bad, I did not clarify, I USED to live in Sunnyside and I still have the property there (for rental) and I presently live at Parkdale.

No, I do not drive 7 blocks just to park there.

I edited my original post, thanks for pointing that out, it has been a long day So to clarify, shouldn't the Sunnyside parking sticker be made available to your renters then? And if your renters do not own vehicles, then are you not abusing the system, possibly even breaking a bylaw somewhere?

jaylo
11-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Noticed on Google Streetview that there's a handicap parking zone on the east side alongside that house - that may be part of that home owner's reasoning for placing the note as they may not be able their vehicles that don't have handicapped stickers in that handicap zone. They'd have to park where you're parking and that home doesn't appear to have any off street parking.

Good point, I did not notice the handicap as I usually drive in to the opposite direction (from 2nd avenue).

jaylo
11-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by speedog
So to clarify, shouldn't the Sunnyside parking sticker be made available to your renters then? And if your renters do not own vehicles, then are you not abusing the system, possibly even breaking a bylaw somewhere?

The renters do have a vehicle and are parking at the parkade the condo provides.

I used to walk from Parkdale, but with the weather being cold for the next few months, I'd figure I could get a street parking permit and cut my travel shorter.

:dunno:

topmade
11-20-2010, 12:25 AM
He doesn't own the street so you can tell him to shove it, but at the same time you're abusing the pass by not living there anymore eventhough you own the place. What's another 100' or so when you are used to walking 7 blocks? I say park a bit further so you have peace of mind that your car is going to be drivable when you get back to it.

Hage69
11-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by topmade
He doesn't own the street so you can tell him to shove it, but at the same time you're abusing the pass by not living there anymore eventhough you own the place. What's another 100' or so when you are used to walking 7 blocks? I say park a bit further so you have peace of mind that your car is going to be drivable when you get back to it.

This.

And you probably would wanna park a little down the road because one day they'll have enough with it and just vandalize your car. If you try to charge them they'll just ask for proof. Save a lot of trouble and move down the street. :dunno:

Zhariak
11-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Hell,

They asked nicely, that's pretty rare. Even though it is kinda odd for someone to dictate their own personal parking plan, I guess it's all good.

I'd say be nice, try to come up with a solution...

UNLESS ofcourse, they are one of those families that have 8 fucking cars, park all on the road, and leave their garage and driveway completely empty.

ZMan2k2
11-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I used to work in the area. That house, the castle one on the corner, does see a lot of traffic. I would deliver to the house 3-4 times a week. They run a small business from home, so there are quite a few people stopping by there too. In all seriousness, they did ask nicely, which is kind of rare in this world, so I would see if I could park a little farther away and walk the extra bit.

xxviet
11-21-2010, 01:12 PM
be a nice neighbor, go remove that handi cap sign and problem solved. they are able to park 3 cars np

Zhariak
11-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
I used to work in the area. That house, the castle one on the corner, does see a lot of traffic. I would deliver to the house 3-4 times a week. They run a small business from home, so there are quite a few people stopping by there too. In all seriousness, they did ask nicely, which is kind of rare in this world, so I would see if I could park a little farther away and walk the extra bit.

You know...

Depending on what type of business license they have (even if they do have one), they could be going against city bylaw with the traffic requirements their business has.

I remember when I had my class 2 license, I could have barely ANY traffic coming to my residence pertaining to business, except for maybe 1 courier a week or something.

Class 1 business licenses are a little bit more lenient, but I think they still have stuff regulating parking, and business related traffic.

Zero102
11-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak

You know...

Depending on what type of business license they have (even if they do have one), they could be going against city bylaw with the traffic requirements their business has.

I remember when I had my class 2 license, I could have barely ANY traffic coming to my residence pertaining to business, except for maybe 1 courier a week or something.

Class 1 business licenses are a little bit more lenient, but I think they still have stuff regulating parking, and business related traffic.

Interesting. I was going to suggest that you just park a bit further up the road, but after reading this post I think I'd take it one step further. I'd be a good samaritan and also double check that their business license is up to date and make sure it is proper for the traffic they are receiving :thumbsup:

jaylo
11-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

Interesting. I was going to suggest that you just park a bit further up the road, but after reading this post I think I'd take it one step further. I'd be a good samaritan and also double check that their business license is up to date and make sure it is proper for the traffic they are receiving :thumbsup:

Yeah, I do wonder if they are using a VISITOR pass for the trades people that are stopping by. You can apply for 2 visitor passes depending on the size of your property.

Does a business vehicle need a different Permit to park along their house/neighborhood? Link to visitor's parking from CPA http://www.calgaryparking.com/web/guest/residentialparking/visitorpermits

Update: I parked on the other side of the road and about 10 houses down this morning. I have also noticed that this area is empty, except for the maroon van parked there (looks like it has not moved for a while). Let us see if they give me a flack about parking there this time.

Scope951
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Since they seam like reasonable people you should move and park elsewhere since the street in empty.

I doubt they'd vandalize your car, but I'll let you know someone parked in front of my house and instead of giving them a note to move, i got the city to give them a ticket =).

Zero102
11-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Scope951
Since they seam like reasonable people you should move and park elsewhere since the street in empty.

I doubt they'd vandalize your car, but I'll let you know someone parked in front of my house and instead of giving them a note to move, i got the city to give them a ticket =).

Unfortunately, he was legally parking, the city would have no right to ticket him for parking there.

sexualbanana
11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

You know...

Depends on the zoning of the property as well, I believe. I don't know the differentiation between business license classes, but technically if you're not receiving business-related traffic (ie. couriers and customers) too often, it's not against the rules.

At the end of the day, you could try to be a dick and go with the whole business licensing route or some other way to spite them, but they asked pretty respectfully so I don't think there's any reason to escalate this into something that will just annoy everyone involved.

A790
11-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Dude, looks like the note was left with good intentions. I don't know, I'd move my car and see who starts harassing you then.

jaylo
11-24-2010, 06:54 PM
I moved my parking spot just further up away from Memorial. No complaints so far though I have not seen any vehicle park around their house except for that red van that is out of commission.

rc2002
11-25-2010, 11:43 AM
No matter where you move your car, I think it's just a matter of time before something happens to your car.

Legally parked or not, I bet most people would be pissed off if some stranger kept parking in front of their house.

Zhariak
11-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Depends on the zoning of the property as well, I believe. I don't know the differentiation between business license classes, but technically if you're not receiving business-related traffic (ie. couriers and customers) too often, it's not against the rules.

At the end of the day, you could try to be a dick and go with the whole business licensing route or some other way to spite them, but they asked pretty respectfully so I don't think there's any reason to escalate this into something that will just annoy everyone involved.

I'm not trying to tell him to be a dick, I just get fedup with people and how they think they own parking in this city. I have a problem with both a) 4 person families that park their 8 cars on the streets, and b) home businesses that have trades, employees, etc... taking up all the spots.

If they have actual commercial vehicles (I don't know the exact thing that classifies them), and if they don't have that on their business permit, they could get in SERIOUS SERIOUS shit. Furthermore, even normal vehicles, that would be driven by employees, clients, etc... they could also get in serious shit with, just not as serious as commercial vehicles.

When I had my Class 2, I had to put a permit request blue billboard up on my lawn for 2 weeks stating I was applying for a class 2 and it had a number for neighbors to call and request info, or voice concerns. I didn't have any problems because we only have 2 personal vehicles, and my neighbors know we never use parking on the actual street itself.

There's limits on actual business related vehicles you can have, along with visits from visitors and courier visists.

As I said in my earlier post, if they have a class one, it's a little bit more lenient, but at the same time, it's also easier to break the rules, which means they could get in shit.

Ultimately, (I'm saying this trying to be a good person) I'd say that if the house/business in the consumer area has 2 or less vehicles on the street, then it's all good, IMO that's acceptable, and I'd try to park somewhere else.

But if they have more than 2 vehicles on the street, raise some shit. If they have more than 2 on the street and aren't using their driveway, REALLY raise some shit.

Keep in mind, if you do complain, you're not being a little whiner. When us businesses get our licenses, we are fully aware of what we can and can't do, and how we are supposed to be respectful of our neighbors. We know that the public and city are doing us a favor by allowing us to operate businesses out of our residence, and we need to make sure we return the favor by NOT bringing in stupid amounts of traffic, by NOT pissing of neighbors with noise, trouble, or whatever, by NOT using up all the parking, and all at the same time making sure that we are so quiet about it that noone would even know we run a biz.

Last paragraph is all IMO.

D. Dub
11-26-2010, 09:39 AM
To the OP -- you may be acting within the letter of the law -- but it looks like you are ignoring the intent.

soccernut
11-26-2010, 11:00 AM
+1 they asked nicely, so you should do it.

A friend of mine lived in Sunnyside and used to lend me his visitor pass. I always avoided parking right in front of someone's house.

I also remember that you can not park more than 150 m from the address on the permit.

AndyL
11-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Grew up with the son of the owners of that house... Been 20 odd years but it's probably still an 'art studio', Very cool house :)

They're being pretty reasonable if you ask me - they've asked you not to park at their house, they could have just called parking control had you tagged and towed...

My .02