PDA

View Full Version : What are some good shops in Calgary area?

fabs375
11-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Im looking for some good shops in the Calgary area. (not Red Deer or Edmonton)
Looking for a shop that does modifications, mildy or to the extreme. A shop that has a good name.
A high end shop would be cool also, somewhere which works on Porches, Lamboghini's, Ferrari's etc....

Im not to interested in the shops which only work on Honduhs but would consider it.

Im looking for these shops because im looking for a place to take me on as an apprentice. I have all my experience from my own Eagle Talon which should have around 400AWHP when all is well with the tuning.

Thanks for your opinions

dj_rice
11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Tunerworks meets all your criteria

Another one is RCTS

Tik-Tok
11-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Another one is RCTS

I doubt RCTS would hire, they tend to like Engineers, not mechanics

dj_rice
11-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I doubt RCTS would hire, they tend to like Engineers, not mechanics

Sorry my bad, I didn't read the part where he wanted a job. LOL Thought he was looking for a shop to mod his car

ercchry
11-22-2010, 02:43 PM
davenport

fabs375
11-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I do all my mods myself. My next project im shooting for 650+hp and a 10 second car.

I know its kind of a long shot to try get a first year apprenticeship at a high class shop. But I dont want to go work at some shitty place that doesnt know what they are doing. My other plan is to go to University next year for engineering.

fabs375
11-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Anybody else have any other opinions of good places to work?

ercchry
11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by fabs375
Anybody else have any other opinions of good places to work?

what kind of apprenticeship are you looking for? i doubt any high end shop will take on a 1st year with 0 actual industry experience. the guys i know (one at davenport and one at RCTS) are both done their schooling and everything. learn the basics, prove yourself, then you get the dream job. only way you are getting right into that dream job is if your uncle or something owns the shop...

fabs375
11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
I want to start my own tuning/modification shop thats why I want to get into a tuning shop.
I just want to get into the game! And to be able to go into a tuning shop for first year would be very very awesome.

I know its crazy kind of but i really want to start off like that.

ercchry
11-23-2010, 03:44 PM
but in what... automotives? you want to be a fabricator? i would say go apply for tire changer at tunerworks... but they already hired for that... i know that guy too

fabs375
11-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Yes in automotives I want to build high hp vehicles. Fabricate my own parts, and tune them.

..*JDM Hatch*..
11-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes in automotives I want to build high hp vehicles. Fabricate my own parts, and tune them.

I hope you have ALOT of money.It's not cheap.

fabs375
11-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ..*JDM Hatch*..

I hope you have ALOT of money.It's not cheap.

I understand that but Im still going to go after my dream. And I have a source of money yes.

ercchry
11-23-2010, 04:21 PM
if you have a source of money i would recommend SAIT for you then. having the piece of paper will not only help you get a job, but also prove to potential investors (or banks) that you have the proper knowledge to open your future dream shop

fabs375
11-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
if you have a source of money i would recommend SAIT for you then. having the piece of paper will not only help you get a job, but also prove to potential investors (or banks) that you have the proper knowledge to open your future dream shop

I was hoping to take the apprenticeship program through SAIT. There is another AST program which is 2 years of school and than you work for the next 2 years to get your journeyman ticket. But I would rather do the apprenticeship program and do 8 months (1500hrs) work and than 2 months school, than back to work again.

94boosted
11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I do all my mods myself. My next project im shooting for 650+hp and a 10 second car.

I know its kind of a long shot to try get a first year apprenticeship at a high class shop. But I dont want to go work at some shitty place that doesnt know what they are doing. My other plan is to go to University next year for engineering.

Your Plan #2 seems like the better option. Get an Eng. Degree or a Mech. Tech. Diploma + AST and you'll have a much better chance. No offence but no high end shop is going to hire somebody without experience and/or a piece of paper.

A790
11-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Degree is a good call here. Unfortunately, drive and ambition are second to a piece of paper.

Shlade
11-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Pretty sure Tim from zero to 60 takes apprentices.

Give him a try, great guy and works on a load of Fast fords, GTs, Cobras, GT500`s, Saleens. All the good fast ford stuff from mild to wild mods. Give him a ring.

http://www.zeroto60.ca/html/careers.html

know1edge
11-24-2010, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
Pretty sure Tim from zero to 60 takes apprentices.

Give him a try, great guy and works on a load of Fast fords, GTs, Cobras, GT500`s, Saleens. All the good fast ford stuff from mild to wild mods. Give him a ring.

http://www.zeroto60.ca/html/careers.html

That site makes me want to punch my sister in the face

fabs375
11-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Your Plan #2 seems like the better option. Get an Eng. Degree or a Mech. Tech. Diploma + AST and you'll have a much better chance. No offence but no high end shop is going to hire somebody without experience and/or a piece of paper.

The reason I have not done this is because plan 2 is not my passion.... It may get me there I guess and althought I am good at school it is not what I want to do.

But I am still considering it greatly.

TomcoPDR
11-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

That site makes me want to punch my sister in the face

WAIT! Can you at least post a pic of her before you punch her face?