PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Pain - Am I screwed?

pattyt
11-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on my situation. I am 20 years old and for the last past 6 months or so my elbow pain has been getting progressively worse. It started out with a occasional discomfort and is now developed into something that is bothering me during my daily routine. Obviously it bothers me while I workout, but also while writing (i am a student) and sometimes when i put it down and put some pressure on it.

I have been supplementing with fish oil for about 5 months and just started taking glucosamine 2 weeks ago. Also, i wear a tensor band during workouts and sometimes while writing large assignments.

There are no improvements, and I feel like its getting progressively worse. I really dont want to stop working out, but I dont want to find myself in surgery in a few months/years. My workout routine isnt espeically rigourous either (3-4 days a week on avg) with school taking up alot of my time, so you can probably imagine how depressing this is for me. I have completely cut out working out arms sepearatly, just because this aggrivates my elbow the most.

I havent been checked out by any doctors, but I feel like I know their answer already. I will definetly be heading to one in the next week or so.

Wondering if anyone has gone through something similar and what they did, and what are my next steps ?? Some input and experiences would be great. Thanks

turbotrip
11-22-2010, 11:39 PM
sorry but it sounds like the next step might have to be amputation

Benny
11-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Go to a doctor. I know it sucks ass to wait in a walk in clinic but honestly nobody on this site will be able to give you any help.

Could very well be that you tweaked something 6 months ago and because you kept working out on it it hasn't had time to heal properly.

And next time don't wait 6 months to see a doctor about something that bothers you so much.

pf0sh0
11-23-2010, 12:30 AM
^^^ exactly.

go to the doctor/physio therapist

wintonyk
11-23-2010, 12:33 AM
lol its probably just tennis elbow/tendonitis. Just go to physio and learn how to use your arm properly. Otherwise as otherwise stated amputation.

JAYMEZ
11-23-2010, 12:35 AM
I have the same thing. And luckily I have doctor in the family , so my dad has put me on Asprin and also I am going for some acupuncture

http://www.medicinenet.com/elbow_pain/article.htm
Give this a read.. Mine gets really bad when I wake up. Right now its in pain.

Dilmah
11-23-2010, 12:40 AM
2 asprin every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days. If that does nothing then I'd go to the doctor. Mind you I would have done that four months ago and not waited so long. The asprin will reduce swelling,thus allowing the body to heal. I wouldn't amputate until it lasts longer then six months.

gqmw
11-23-2010, 02:47 AM
I've had it. It was hurting for weeks, until I realized I should take a break from working out. Took like two or three weeks off completely lifting weights (I did do a bit of cardio) and I was back good as new. Take a break off all weights, you'll heal in no time.

scboss
11-23-2010, 02:57 AM
you might have been over working that joint without doing arms, you shouldnt be working out with any weight if it bothers you.You got a choice rehab now or pay for a long time

hrdkore
11-23-2010, 10:38 AM
stop working out for a few weeks especially anything that involves arms. I had similar situation with my back.