PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports

89coupe
11-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I thought I would sign up for an online subscription so I could get an unbiased review of different products, but boy what a waste...lol.

Wasn't very impressed with the information provided or the number of products tested.

Just a heads up to anyone considering it.

Redlyne_mr2
11-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the update. CR was all the rage when they first came out but they've lost credibility and are quite biased. If they had it their way we'd all be driving white toyota corollas.

C_Dave45
11-24-2010, 02:33 PM
CR is about the same as the BBB. Over rated and redundant. Can find as much or more info just by doing online research.

Graham_A_M
11-24-2010, 02:54 PM
LOL I have a very difficult time taking anybody seriously that reads that CR. I find them to be GROSSLY biased towards various old clique's that are entirely non-existent in todays world.

Just one example:
In very recent memory I remember them blasting NA built cars, towards *everything*. There wasn't a single decent car out there by GM or Ford, yet anything Japanese was just 4-5 stars... (are you frickin' serious?). They were blasting cars that had a perfect track record, and had reliability & ACTUAL consumer reports way better then its Jap counter parts, but of course, since its GM or Ford, too be sure its shit in comparison eh? fuck off and open your eyes already....

I dont know, knowing that the person reviewing a car or A/V receiver is also a tester for blenders & Microwaves; their opinion somehow means very little to me.

Get people that are incredibly vested into whatever their testing, and I'll take their opinion as something with more substance then a pinch of chicken shit, but having a vague review panel towards ALL different products is absolutely futile. :rolleyes:

I found it amusing that for rating a car, they considered how accessible their cup holders are, or how the front end looked with its headlights as clause for recommendations VS. points againest it.
Im just laughing that people take that sort of shit seriously.
(Okay, I wont by the BMW because it lacks 1 cupholder over the lexus, thanks CR!!!... ;) )

corsvette
11-24-2010, 03:05 PM
I have a old CR issue from the early 90's, they gave the Toyota Corolla a "best buy" while the Chevrolet Prizim (a rebadged corolla that was sold in US only) got a "not recommended" Same cars built in the same manufacturing plant.

Sugarphreak
11-24-2010, 03:42 PM

codetrap
11-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I use my brother's login for CR, and I think it's a decent alternative point. I use it as a reference tool to go along with real world reviews, and I find value there. I also like to counter point it with the people reviews that are usually attached to a particular item, and see what "people who have bought it" have to say.

It may not be the best out there, but it's definitely not the worst, and it is good at providing a list of alternatives.

benyl
11-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Meh, it is $20. Less than half a $50 lunch! ;)

I pay more for my Car & Driver subscription for them to tell me how great BMW is.

If you think there isn't an unbiased review out there, you are sorely mistaken.

I use CR to get information about all products in a category at once.

The last thing I looked up was strollers. You can see their bias, but you also get quick stats for everything like weight.

You want to see bias? Go talk to people that work at Bo Bebe or E Children and ask them their opinion on Strollers! Each one will tell you a different thing and how the one you are looking at is Shit. hahahaha

You think Honda Fanboys are bad. Valco Baby Fanboys are worse!

ExtraSlow
11-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I subscribe to CR, and while it's not perfect, they do have a few advantages over some other sources
1) they don't accept advertising from the people selling the products. Magazines like motor trend are a joke. They literally pump up whatever car is newest and buying the most advertising.
2) they review everything. I can find info on cameras, cars and chainsaws in one location.

That being said, I trust them more for appliances than for cars. I can easily find info on cars elsewhere.

89coupe
11-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

That being said, I trust them more for appliances than for cars. I can easily find info on cars elsewhere.

I purchased it for the main purpose of reviewing appliances and the reviews seem out to lunch...LOL.

In most cases the cheapest bottom of the line products get the highest ratings???

LOL, huh?

Also, certain appliances sold under a different name but made by the same manufacturer get totally different results/reviews???

Huh? LOL

ExtraSlow
11-25-2010, 02:28 PM
like anything else, they aren't perfect, but it's another source of info. I don't take them as gospel, but with some items, it's very hard to find another "credible" source.